IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

Very pleasant conditions in Perth, Tyrone. 120 days without rainfall is common in California and can easily to 210 days :( In-fact, the dry season is upon us w/ another week of no rainfall. Tomorrow's the LA Marathon & officials are cautioning runners to take is easy since temp may reach 80F\ 27C [recorded 83F w/ 55F low today].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Very pleasant conditions in Perth, Tyrone. 120 days without rainfall is common in California and can easily to 210 days :( In-fact, the dry season is upon us w/ another week of no rainfall. Tomorrow's the LA Marathon & officials are cautioning runners to take is easy since temp may reach 80F\ 27C [recorded 83F w/ 55F low today].

That is interesting happ. I think that kind of proves that dry old Perth definitely has a wetter climate than So Cal. So Cal must have similar rainfall to Geraldton 400km north of us. Even the scrubland looks identical.

I'm waiting for the thunderstorms to start tonight. Huge black clouds and a trough and midlevel disturbance have just moved over our area and thunderstorms are forecast until Tuesday. It could get interesting.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Lucky you!! Northern suburb got some the other day... and Palmerston too, Noonamah got some today... and we got none!! They are still talking about things improving by Thursday, I hope it is still the case...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's a link to the lightening tracker. I couldn't capture the image unfortunately so if you want to see lightening you have to look soon as it's in realtime.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar.jsp?lt=wzstate&lc=was&ane=1&anf=1&and=1&ana=7&anb=333&anc=3&lya=1&lyk=1&lye=1&lyf=1

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

All we got lastnight was some early morning heavy drops on the laserlite on my back patio. It rained to the north and south of Perth. We went down to 21C overnight which isn't bad for late March. Humidity has stayed high and dewpoints are in the 17-19C range, again isn't bad for March. It's 31C at the moment and dead still. Really nice tropical weather. The clouds and thunderstorms rotated out to sea, and since this system has quite a bit of a clockwise spin it may come back to meet us tonight and give us some thunderstorms and rain as forecast. Weatherzone says a 90% chance of 5-10mm. I hope they're right, but if not I'll take this warm humidity and make my own rain. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

All we got lastnight was some early morning heavy drops on the laserlite on my back patio. It rained to the north and south of Perth. We went down to 21C overnight which isn't bad for late March. Humidity has stayed high and dewpoints are in the 17-19C range, again isn't bad for March. It's 31C at the moment and dead still. Really nice tropical weather. The clouds and thunderstorms rotated out to sea, and since this system has quite a bit of a clockwise spin it may come back to meet us tonight and give us some thunderstorms and rain as forecast. Weatherzone says a 90% chance of 5-10mm. I hope they're right, but if not I'll take this warm humidity and make my own rain. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, do you need to irrigate much each year? It appears your rainfall is more prevalent than Mediterranean climates in some other regions. Lots of high clouds today but still managed to reach the low 80's\ 26-27C. A very weak front is moving into Baja California but rainfall will miss California as usual. I'm afraid that the dry season is upon us soon.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well, I did a rain dance and I must have danced better than I thought.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/severe-hailstorm-batters-perth-20100322-qqmw.html

Here are some pics around 2.30pm before all hell broke loose here. Taken on my phone so quality is down.

post-63-12692584958023_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692585397602_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692585546426_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692585680296_thumb.jpg

Anyway around 4.30pm when the first storm cells moved in I was at a clients house for a consult and watched the storm cell come close to the ground with that swirling cylindrical action just before a tornado. Really eerie and the wind came up and became concerning. Clouds were flying in from all directions at maybe 100m elevation into this swirling mass that was forming. I was so worried it would touch the ground. Luckily it didn't. I didn't get pictures either unfortunately.

When I got home there was a lull so I went and had a check of the garden and luckily my 8ft tall Hyophorbe indica's had been shielded from a 20ft long 4 inch diameter limb by the shadehouse. No damage was done. After I moved this limb away and went out the front I watched another storm front come through. This front was amazing. I have not seen so much lightening since i was in Thailand during the monsoon season. Without exaggeration there would have been a lightening flash every half a second. This storm front also had low clouds that did weird things and strong winds and very heavy rain. Reportedly some locations had 60mm diameter hail.

150000 houses are without power. 160 sets of traffic lights are out. The trains have all stopped. Hospitals have sustained damage. Many substations have been destroyed by lightening. The Northbridge tunnel flooded. Noone really knows the full extent of the damage. Even the Western Power offices are flooded. The Freeways are at a standstill. The Airport cancelled flights and even funerals have been cancelled tomorrow due to damage to buildings.

post-63-1269259061951_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692590926395_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692591081387_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692591287222_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692591442714_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692591664642_thumb.jpg

post-63-1269259200386_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692592161092_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692592395863_thumb.jpg

The road and footpath overflowed and ran into my driveway which then ran into my patio and then into my fishpond. I don't mind my garden being the neighbourhood catchment. It gives the rainforest garden some authenticity.

Anyway at the end of my street there is a compensating basin which takes the overflow from the drainage system when it can't handle the load. You can go many winters without seeing water in it. Within an hour it was full.

Then there was a lull in the rain before the other side swirled around us and got us. Here are some sunset shots.

In the end we got around 35mm in an hour which may not sound impressive from an east coast perspective, but it's basically put us above average rainfall now for the year. I believe we only average around 17mm for March. So we got over 120 days of no rain and now we're above the average. That's Australia for you.

I heard that there is a lightening struck tree on fire around the corner from me near a Primary School. It's chaos on the roads at the moment.

They're warning of hail and continuing mayhem tonight. So far since 4.30pm we have had nearly 42mm of rain. Some areas have had over 60mm. If we don't get hail, the palms should love this, considering it's nearly 100% humidity and we got up to 33C today with high humidity. It's sticky at the moment and still raining. The garden is drenched. :D

Here's a news report.

http://cosmos-web03.bcst.aue.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?ch=885679&cl=18745715&lang=en

Best regards

Tyrone

post-63-12692594429639_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692594617378_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692595284542_thumb.jpg

post-63-12692595453858_thumb.jpg

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, do you need to irrigate much each year? It appears your rainfall is more prevalent than Mediterranean climates in some other regions. Lots of high clouds today but still managed to reach the low 80's\ 26-27C. A very weak front is moving into Baja California but rainfall will miss California as usual. I'm afraid that the dry season is upon us soon.

Yes, I do irrigate consistently in summer. It's the only way to have a garden over here. I won't be irrigating tonight though. No need. Even my banana's were under 3 inches of water in the downpour. I love this weather. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone....

That is our kind of rain & storm & lightning!! Give it back please....

Hoping for that line at Middle Point makes it tonight... We are due for some rain...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone....

That is our kind of rain & storm & lightning!! Give it back please....

Hoping for that line at Middle Point makes it tonight... We are due for some rain...

Yeah, this is our wet season and monsoon Ari. 2 days long. We've got more thunderstorms tomorrow.

You don't get hail in your thunderstorms do you????

This system seems to be dragging tropical moisture out of Indonesia. Strange......

Best regards

Tyrone

Apparently there was hail in Palmerston sometime ago... (can't remember when now :huh: ), but generally no... we get no hail. I am glad you didn't get the hail. From the news tonight, it looked very damaging...

It has been strange weather this year remember??? Now, not looking forward to the dry season... Well maybe we will get some dry season rain just for something different :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yes, I'm really glad I got no hail. My wife rang me from work when it was just starting telling me to protect my plants because at her work in town they had 25mm size hail pelting the place. It was too late then anyway because I was on a job, and what can you do with hundreds of plants in 10 minutes. You don't really expect hail this time of year. I dodged a bullet and only had two branches come down. We never got any black outs either. I think we're on the same grid as the airport.

The storm fronts are now on there way to the south coast. I wonder what will happen when they meet the much cooler southern ocean??????

Best regards

Tyrone

That looked like a beauty of a storm Tyrone...like a QLD storm! It seems like months since we had a thunderstorm here.

Weather here is stabilising now...nice consistent Autumn weather...

Forecast for Tuesday

A shower or two. Possible afternoon storm. Light to moderate SE to NE winds.

Precis: Shower or two. Possible storm

City: Max 29

Bayside: Max 28

UV Alert: 8:40 am to 3:10 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Wednesday Shower or two Min 20 Max 29

Thursday Mostly fine Min 20 Max 29

Friday Mostly fine Min 20 Max 29

Saturday Mostly fine Min 19 Max 29

Sunday Mostly fine Min 19 Max 29

Monday Mostly fine Min 19 Max 29

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It was a ripper of a storm. We haven't seen rainfall like that in years. It reminded me of storms in Thailand and Singapore. Very dramatic.

Daryl, that's some great consistent weather you have there. A bit warmer at night than us.

Forecast for Tuesday

A shower or two with the risk of a thunderstorm, clearing during the afternoon.

Moderate to fresh NE winds, easing during the morning and tending light W/NW

near the coast during the afternoon.

Precis: Possible thunderstorm, clearing.

City: Max 31

Mandurah: Max 31

UV Alert: 9:20 am to 3:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 7 [High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Wednesday Cloudy. Min 19 Max 30

Thursday Mostly sunny. Min 18 Max 29

Friday Mostly sunny. Min 17 Max 30

Saturday Mostly sunny. Min 17 Max 27

Sunday Sunny. Min 16 Max 25

Monday Sunny. Min 16 Max 26

Best regards

Tyrone

Some more pics of yesterdays storm, some freaky.

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/wa-news/hail-storm-hits-perth/20100322-qr1x.html?selectedImage=0

The BOM has put out another severe thunderstorm warning for the SW although Perth is meant to escape the worst of it. It's a humid 31C at the moment with a 20C dewpoint. Palms are loving it. It's just like Thailand. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/wa-news/hail-storm-hits-perth/20100322-qr1x.html?selectedImage=0

The BOM has put out another severe thunderstorm warning for the SW although Perth is meant to escape the worst of it. It's a humid 31C at the moment with a 20C dewpoint. Palms are loving it. It's just like Thailand. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks for the photos, Tyrone. Do you belong to a weather organization, btw? You seem very keen atmospherically! 20C\ 68F dew point is very high as least by California standards. March weather in Perth would be like September weather in Los Angeles. Still quite hot, in general with occasional periods of mugginess. Late summer thunderstorms or tropical systems are sadly irregular here. Your latitude would be comparable to Baja California where dying hurricanes do come ashore. On occasion the remnants of these systems move northward into California and rain can happen but it is mostly restricted to the mountains and deserts.

Nothing very exciting in California lately. Cooler with an onshore wind & some high clouds but the rainfall is much further south in Baja today. Early spring is generally characterized by troughs of low pressure with coastal clouds but little if any rain followed by ridges of high pressure and warm temps. Eventually the pattern of coastal clouds will set in with routine morning and evening overcast and hazy afternoons. Does Perth get any stratus\ low clouds during the warm season?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Thanks for the pictures Tyrone. I wish more people would post pictures of their weather. I was going to take some on Sunday to put up. The clouds were great. I have no idea how high up they went. But, they went way up. And, we had a thunder storm come in from the west. Normally these are the strongest storms. But, this one looked worse than it turned out. Most of our storms come in from the east. And, interestingly enough the rain tends to fall on the north side of town more than the south. I think this has something to do with both the meeting of the Negro and Amazon rivers and the fact that the city is the most built up on the south end.

Here is what Tuesday should be like. You can see by our day length that it is very close to the equinox, 12.1 hours of daylight.

Tuesday Day

Very warm with times of sun and clouds

High 33°C

RealFeel®: 40°C

Winds: ESE at 4km/h

Wind Gusts: 17 km/h

Max UV Index: Very High (8)

Thunderstorm

Probability: 33%

Amount of Precipitation: 0.0mm

Amount of Rain: 0.0mm

Amount of Snow: 0.00cm

Hours of Precipitation: 0 Hrs

Hours of Rain: 0 Hrs

Hours of Daylight: 12.1 Hrs

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks for the photos, Tyrone. Do you belong to a weather organization, btw? You seem very keen atmospherically! 20C\ 68F dew point is very high as least by California standards. March weather in Perth would be like September weather in Los Angeles. Still quite hot, in general with occasional periods of mugginess. Late summer thunderstorms or tropical systems are sadly irregular here. Your latitude would be comparable to Baja California where dying hurricanes do come ashore. On occasion the remnants of these systems move northward into California and rain can happen but it is mostly restricted to the mountains and deserts.

Nothing very exciting in California lately. Cooler with an onshore wind & some high clouds but the rainfall is much further south in Baja today. Early spring is generally characterized by troughs of low pressure with coastal clouds but little if any rain followed by ridges of high pressure and warm temps. Eventually the pattern of coastal clouds will set in with routine morning and evening overcast and hazy afternoons. Does Perth get any stratus\ low clouds during the warm season?

No Happ I'm not part of a weather organization. I'm just fascinated by it, and how much we are not in control of it one bit. It controls us. I've actually become more keenly interested in it since I've been growing palms and bending microclimates. I did study weather, but not in any depth, as part of my horticulture studies.

I think March in Perth would be similar to your September. Here March is on average a degree warmer than December (our beginning of summer). This year March has been February, if you get what I mean. This humidity we are getting is a little high for us in March. I'm not complaining. It's been to 33C today and has been raining on and off. Just like the tropics. :D

Summer thunderstorms and tropical systems are very irregular here. For some reason they tend to head inland and south from us. The one we had yesterday got us fair and square though. When you look at the statistics over the last 100 or more years, Perth is meant to have a cyclone pass by reasonably close every 7-10years. Close enough to cause destructive weather anyway. The last decent system was TC Alby in 1978 when it rained mud. I was only 4 at the time but I remember it vividly when Mum and Dad ran inside red all over like they fell over in a muddy puddle. Maybe that's where my interest in weather began. We're long overdue for another event like that.

Perth will get stratus in the warm season only if a cold front is coming through. If not, it's generally blue sky with maybe some cirrus. We didn't see any cold fronts this summer, but it does happen on the odd occasion and the temperature and humidity after the cold front passes drop accordingly. The other time it's cloudy is when we get tropical cumulonimbus style thunder clouds, then it goes black, like yesterday. We don't get the same "gloom in June" scenario that San Diego gets along the coast in summer though. I think we have warmer ocean currents that prevents that. Last summer we did have a weird sea fog come into the beaches and reduce visibility to 50m and many people thought something was on fire. We're not used to that sort of thing here.

In spring and autumn we do get the alternating high and low pressure systems coming through often making the winds swing through 360 degrees in a 48 hr period. Early spring for us can be a bit of winter, a bit of spring, a touch of summer, then back to winter just as quickly, very changeable.

Enjoy your warming weather. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks for the pictures Tyrone. I wish more people would post pictures of their weather. I was going to take some on Sunday to put up. The clouds were great. I have no idea how high up they went. But, they went way up. And, we had a thunder storm come in from the west. Normally these are the strongest storms. But, this one looked worse than it turned out. Most of our storms come in from the east. And, interestingly enough the rain tends to fall on the north side of town more than the south. I think this has something to do with both the meeting of the Negro and Amazon rivers and the fact that the city is the most built up on the south end.

Here is what Tuesday should be like. You can see by our day length that it is very close to the equinox, 12.1 hours of daylight.

Tuesday Day

High 33°C

Thunderstorm

Don, what I wouldn't give for your weather.

I think cumulonimbus clouds near the equator can get as high as 60000ft. Could you see the flat top on the clouds? The flat top is where the moisture has basically frozen into ice and can't rise any more. Those ones often bring hail, but unlikely to do so in such warm areas as near the equator, as they'd melt on the way down.

I'm glad you liked the pics. I wish I got some video footage of the clouds almost about to form a tornado. They had a strong tight rotation and other clouds were running at very low height to meet them. Very scary, but strangely fascinating.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi tyrone i saw the clip of the storm moving across Perth - AMAZING !

its still around 15c overnight down here way warmer than it should be but im not complaining .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Most of the country appears warmer than it should be. This may be a surprisingly warm winter coming up. I hope so anyway. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone - great pictures ! :blink: Real pleased to hear you escaped any damage at your place. Looking at the pictures across Perth, that storm looked strangely similar to the one we copped at the start of the month.

You're now a lot warmer than we are...we are down to 15C at night...cool mornings but warmish afternoons (24C or so).... meant to warm up to 29C by Friday & weekend. Might be the last gasp of the really good stuff... here's hoping you're right about a warm winter...hoping it's a wet one as well !

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Warmer... probably, but wet one?? Dream on, Ari....lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Ari,

You've spent time here, you should know it to be true. If it's raining at night then the temp doesn't really drop below 8C or so....it's those clear, still nights that will make the temp drop down to near zero....

So yes...am hoping for a winter with lots of rain at night to keep the temps up. Make sense ?

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Talking of a warm wet winter reminds me of what happened some 17 or 18 (or so) years ago. At the beginning of June there were big floods in east and central Arnhem Land, and heavy rain in the West Arnhem Region. It fizzled out by about Jabiru, never reaching the west coast (Darwin Daly River Region). Quite amazing for June.

Hi Ari,

You've spent time here, you should know it to be true. If it's raining at night then the temp doesn't really drop below 8C or so....it's those clear, still nights that will make the temp drop down to near zero....

So yes...am hoping for a winter with lots of rain at night to keep the temps up. Make sense ?

Yeah... that is why we have 'cold' nights here in the dry season... because we have no cloud in sight!!! Clear clear boring day!! Some people like it, I don't really... Don't worry, Michael... I am just jealous. I know I shouldn't..

Zig,

You should be getting more than me in the last 2 days.. only 4mm yesterday and over 25mm today for me..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

You could get a warm wet winter in Darwin Ari. Darwin may turn equatorial this winter. That would be alright wouldn't it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone - great pictures ! :blink: Real pleased to hear you escaped any damage at your place. Looking at the pictures across Perth, that storm looked strangely similar to the one we copped at the start of the month.

You're now a lot warmer than we are...we are down to 15C at night...cool mornings but warmish afternoons (24C or so).... meant to warm up to 29C by Friday & weekend. Might be the last gasp of the really good stuff... here's hoping you're right about a warm winter...hoping it's a wet one as well !

Regards

Michael.

Yeah I was thinking that too. Almost the same type of damage. The Melbourne freak storms came from a decaying cyclone, kind of similar to the Perth one which was formed by a tropical low colliding with a mid level disturbance. It's a fantastic light show over the hills tonight, and when I looked at the radar the actual storms are 100km away, yet the lightening looks to be only 10km away. It must be very high up. It's very sticky tonight. It's 22C at 10.19pm and 92% humidity

I don't mind a warm wet winter that ends on Sep 1. If it never gets below 5C I'm very happy. I don't ask for much do I. :D

Both your garden and my garden have dodged serious bullets this season. I hope we keep dodging them. During the storm one thunder blast sounded like an exploding 767. Considering I'm right in the flight path that is one sound I never actually want to hear. My mind went to my huge gumtree in the back garden, wondering if it had been hit. If it ever blew down into my back garden, I'd leave it as a feature and grow staghorns on it. :D It would eventually decompose into compost. :D

Best regards

Tyrone

Tuesday Day

High 33°C

Thunderstorm

Don, your comment about the height of clouds you recently encountered is something rarely experienced in California. In Cancun several years ago, I was awed by the giant cumulonimbus. Keep that camera nearby! :lol:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

I should have taken a picture on Sunday the scene was great. The sky so blue with the billowing clouds reaching out to space. It is common when flying around the region here to be at nearly 40,000 feet and still look up at the cloud tops. A few weeks ago when I came back from São Paulo on a flight that was scheduled to arrive in Manaus at midnight as we approached there were flashes high up in the air all around. Unfortunately as we came in for a landing the airport was closed due to fog. That is unusual for here. But, it happens. We have a warm fog that moves in sometimes. And, I did not get back to Manaus until 0730 in the morning as we had to fly north to Boa Vista. In fact the plane was going to fly back 4 hours to Sao Paulo and then come back to Manaus another 3 hours and 20 minutes later in the day. The passengers revolted on the plane refusing to sit down and some even got off with no guarantee of getting to Manaus. Enroute to Campinas, Sao Paulo, the pilot announced that due to the decreased weight caused by fewer passengers we could land in Manaus. The plane had been fueled for a 4 hour trip and he claimed could not land in Manaus with the weight of the aircraft. And, there was no way to off load fuel in Boa Vista. So, I did make it home finally. After a long night. And, all caused by weather.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I think cumulonimbus clouds near the equator can get as high as 60000ft. Could you see the flat top on the clouds? The flat top is where the moisture has basically frozen into ice and can't rise any more. Those ones often bring hail, but unlikely to do so in such warm areas as near the equator, as they'd melt on the way down.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone, That is because the tropopause is higher when you get closer to the equator, and from what I have read, it varies all the way around as well. That is why Darwin can have such tall thunderstorms, apparently the tropopause is highest there.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Tyrone, That is because the tropopause is higher when you get closer to the equator, and from what I have read, it varies all the way around as well. That is why Darwin can have such tall thunderstorms, apparently the tropopause is highest there.

Daryl

Called "Hector".

The weather here could become a little more interesting soon. There was something developing over PNG the past few days. It's moved over the Torres Straits now but still not showing significantly. With the steering from the strong ridge to the south this could drift our way. Wind sheer is low again across the north and the MJO is going to be here soon.

A tropical low formed west of the Cocos Islands but whilst it's developed into a cyclone it's heading more south west and is expected to dissipate out at sea. Just east of the Philippines there's another one developed but apparently weaker. The significance of that one is that it's diverting some of the tropical flow away from us. That we don't need just now. But hopefully we'll shortly have a return to better wet season conditions. If not soon, then probably in about 8 or 9 months time.

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl

That's right, I remember that now. I'm not sure why the tropopause is highest near the equator, maybe centrifugal force from the earth's rotation. I know surface gravity is slightly less on the equator for that reason.

We'll never see thunderstorms with tops higher than maybe 30000 ft at a guess down here. I know when flying from Perth to Singapore, you get above the clouds very quickly down here even in bad weather, but once you cross the coastline of Indonesia you're in the clouds at 40000ft and as Don described looking up at towering cumulonimbus that are often flickering from internal lightening. Some would be close to 60000 ft up at a guess.

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl

Called "Hector".

The weather here could become a little more interesting soon. There was something developing over PNG the past few days. It's moved over the Torres Straits now but still not showing significantly. With the steering from the strong ridge to the south this could drift our way. Wind sheer is low again across the north and the MJO is going to be here soon.

A tropical low formed west of the Cocos Islands but whilst it's developed into a cyclone it's heading more south west and is expected to dissipate out at sea. Just east of the Philippines there's another one developed but apparently weaker. The significance of that one is that it's diverting some of the tropical flow away from us. That we don't need just now. But hopefully we'll shortly have a return to better wet season conditions. If not soon, then probably in about 8 or 9 months time.

I hope your wet hasn't ended yet. There still is April to go. I know that late cyclones can pack a punch, not that you want a cyclone, just the monsoon troughs that cause them.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi tyrone i saw the clip of the storm moving across Perth - AMAZING !

its still around 15c overnight down here way warmer than it should be but im not complaining .

Just whizzed around the country on the web looking at averages, and everywhere is about 1-2C hotter than it should be. Some places are closer to 3C hotter. This may have some interesting consequences for the southern winter. I don't know what though. If the trend continues right through winter I'll average above 20C this winter. I've never seen a trend like this appear over the entire continent. Something's happening and I hope we like it. :unsure:

Best regards

Tyrone

Here's the long range forecast for 3 months from the BOM.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

After I posted the previous post I checked the interior of the country. It appears that the interior (eg Alice Springs) is a fair bit cooler than average, compared to the coast being above average. That leads me to think that the warm trend we are experiencing in the populated parts of Oz is strongly related to the above average ocean temps we have encircling the country.

Here are the sea surface temp anomalies around the country.

http://www.eldersweather.com.au/climimage.jsp?i=sstaa

I doubt that this will be a normal winter this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

El Nino conditions in the equatorial Pacific continue and the Climate Prediction Center\ NOAA is forecasting ENSO to remain though spring in the Northern Hemisphere. What that should allow is for more rainfall in California into April. Hope that materializes since rainfall totals have been good this year but not as high as some El Ninos in the past.

Otherwise March has been near to slightly above normal in temps w/ limited rainfall. Today was 77F\ 25C & sunny.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23