IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

You missed a missile there Michael. Phew. How full are your tanks now? I think more is on the way from north too. Lookout Tassie.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi - didnt get a heap of rain here compared to other areas (seem to be saying that a lot )...but meant to be sizeable falls tomorrow... here's hoping. Tanks are about 30% full. Just thankful I didn't get smashed by that killer hail..... plenty of broken windscreens in the city. That would have shredded my garden in 5 minutes.

Don't even think about it. You dodged an armour piercing bullet. Hopefully you'll get more rain without the crazy weather that comes with it. Normally the first bit is the most damaging in weather situations like this. Let's hope it has passed. Not much you can do for hail like that. Just run for cover with your hands covering your head. I'll be watching the Melbourne radar closely.

Have a look at the animation radar here with lightening strike info.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/radar.jsp?lt=wzstate&lc=vic&ane=1&anf=1&and=1&ana=7&anb=333&anc=3&lya=1&lyk=1&lye=1&lyf=1

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

"The weather bureau has forecast heavy rain and thunderstorms for the most of the state, with Melbourne a chance to cop another hammering.

Senior forecaster Richard Carlyon said the state was experiencing humid weather combined with a low pressure system near the Western District.

``It’s very rare to have these two factors together,’’ Mr Carlyon said.

``I’d be surprised if there’s not large hail somewhere in the state again today.

``If the cloud does break in the late morning, early afternoon we could warm up to the mid 20s and that would help generate severe thunderstorms for Melbourne.’’

The SES received about 3000 calls for help during yesterday’s violent storms and more than 2000 remain unanswered."

Hope it's just rain.......... :huh:

If big hail came....I would be putting rubbish bins and boards over everything that I could... all pots in the pergola...grab my bike helmet....my king sized umbrella...and race out and stand over...which palm ?? Yeah, I know...dangerous and futile...but what can you do?? Brisbanites prob face this every Spring/Summer.....but it's very unusual for here.

Edited by Miccles

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

I don't think umbrella will cut it, Michael... might have to get something more robust than that...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I don't think umbrella will cut it, Michael... might have to get something more robust than that...

It's kevlar Ari..... :lol:

I hope you just get heavy rain and no wind. When the low finally sits over you it's more likely to just rain straight down nice and gently. Enjoy the rain mate. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

UH OH. Black hail on the radar crossing the border between Echuca and Shepparton. I hope it's thawed out by the time it gets to Melbourne. :(

All the best.

Tyrone

UH OH. Black hail on the radar crossing the border between Echuca and Shepparton. I hope it's thawed out by the time it gets to Melbourne. :(

All the best.

Tyrone

No hail.. just good soaking rain with no wind. I think we got about 30mm over 12 hrs. :) Should be some more today, as they have just issued another thunderstorm warning for Melbourne.

Took this last night....

post-953-12679977432874_thumb.jpg

Well that's a great sight to see. Are your tanks full now? :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I told my sister living in Melbourne that the humid air had gone down that way, all they needed was a cold front to trigger it off before a high pressure system pushed it all off eastwards. She was skeptical, but maybe not so much now.

Been missing out on the storms lately. Got 0.8mm a couple of nights ago. Then tonight there was 1.2mm. Humidity's still running high and without the cloud cover during the day it gets a bit torrid. The heat index here is usually up between 45C and 50C in the middle of the day. The UV index is only 14 now, but the sun still packs quite a punch. Just waiting for that monsoon to kick back in, in a couple of weeks time hopefully.

I had a bit from that last one, Zig.. From the look of it, you are getting some soon... More organised lines coming through.. Now, this is what I am talking about. No more of the hit and miss stuff... Probably a bit too much to the south for us, but I don't want to be greedy after that last one...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

After believing that 1.2mm was as good as it was going to get last night another storm snuck up in the middle of the night. Woke me up but I couldn't be bothered getting up and checking it out. It got quite cold during it and again I couldn't be bothered getting up for another blanket. Checked it out in the morning, turns out it brought another 11mm and dropped the temp down to 22. I'm a real wimp with the cold. Not looking forward to when the night temps drop below 20 in the next few months.

Tonight's storm went your way as well Ari, but there was little in it. I got a few spits. But that MJO looks like it's in the Indian Ocean now and making its way across. Wind shear is low and sea surface temps are 30+. Hoping that'll inject some of the humidity higher up. Fingers crossed.

Today was nice too... not too much rainwise... but enough to dampen everything & cool the house down. I hope this afternoon storm will persist, if so... I might have a few plants to plant on the weekend...

Zig,

I can understand about the cold. It went down to 8 deg here last dry and I heard it went down to 4 deg out your way... Time to fluff up that doona soon... :).

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Today was nice too... not too much rainwise... but enough to dampen everything & cool the house down. I hope this afternoon storm will persist, if so... I might have a few plants to plant on the weekend...

Zig,

I can understand about the cold. It went down to 8 deg here last dry and I heard it went down to 4 deg out your way... Time to fluff up that doona soon... :).

Even I say 4C is cold. Unfortunately we quite a bit of that in winter. But 22C min and cold. Come on!!!!!!!!!! :D

Best regards

Tyrone

I've been looking at the Accuweather.com 15 day forecast. I'm not sure how accurate they are though. Today we are going for 34C after a min around 18C which is above average for way down here in March.

Anyway this is the Accuweather forecast for my area. It seems summer is hanging around for March which is good. Summer is always welcome here provided it brings at least some humidity, if not rain.

Mar 11 34-23C

Mar 12 33-21C

Mar 13 29-19C

Mar 14 28-19C HUMID

Mar 15 27-17C Brrr cold :D

Mar 16 31-19C HUMID

Mar 17 32-17C HUMID

Mar 18 31-19C HUMID

Mar 19 33-19C HUMID

Mar 20 34-19C HUMID

Mar 21 34-19C HUMID

Mar 22 34-22C HUMID

Mar 23 33-17C

Mar 24 31-16C

It looks like our March will be an average February. I'll take that. March April are generally the best here for tropical plants as the temps are less extreme a bit more stable with more humidity and the odd bit of rainfall which we could do with.

Best regards

Tyrone

You sure about that Ari. I didn't have my weather station set up last dry season but watched the Noonamah AWS. Nothing anywhere near that low showed up on that. I know Middle Point has the record for the lowest around and that was about 4 some 20 or more years ago. I'll have my own records this dry so I won't have to rely on the BOM AWS.

That weather to the north and west seems to be in a bit of a mess. The convergence doesn't seem to be organising itself as well as I'd expected (hoped). Humidity during the day has been going down into the low 50's. But funnily enough there's been about one third the average rainfall for March, for the first third of the month. I think we're just getting less cloud cover than normal. The spear grass is rampant and flowering now, a bit on the early side.

A friend lives down your way & she told me it was 4 deg min last dry season.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

The official BOM forecast. The next couple of days are going to be hot. 39 on Fri. I'm going to a Massive Attack concert at Kings Park on Friday night so it's going to be a hot one at the concert. Probably more than the band is used too coming from Bristol in the UK.

Forecast for Wednesday evening

Partly cloudy. Moderate E/NE winds, with a seabreeze in coastal suburbs until

later this evening.

Precis: Partly cloudy.

Forecast for Thursday

Some high cloud. Moderate to fresh NE winds, easing before a sea breeze develops

during the afternoon.

City: Min 22 Max 38

Mandurah: Min 22 Max 35

UV Alert: 8:50 am to 4:00 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 11 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Friday Partly cloudy. Min 24 Max 39

Saturday Cloudy periods. Min 21 Max 30

Sunday Mostly sunny. Min 18 Max 29

Monday Sunny. Min 18 Max 30

Tuesday Possible shower. Min 17 Max 25

Wednesday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 24

Best regards

Tyrone

It is just another rainy season day. The palms I have planted this season should be doing well.

There is also attached a map of the weather in Brazil today. Amazonia is the major rain maker for the country this time of year. Humidity from here pushes down across the country which you can see in the map.

Currently at 6:55AM

More Details

Clear

Temp: 26 °C

Wednesday, Mar 10

T-Storms

Warm and humid; a thunderstorm or two this morning followed by a couple of showers this afternoon. Winds from the SSE at 4 km/h.

Realfeel®: 46 °C

High: 33 °C

Wednesday Night, Mar 10

T-Storms

Overcast; an evening shower in spots followed by a thunderstorm in spots late. Winds from the SE at 4 km/h.

Realfeel®: 31 °C

Low: 24 °C

post-188-12682172203787_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The reason I query that reading Ari is that last year I got some plants I felt should have been left til the wet season (I'm impatient). So I watched the BOM site constantly mainly for humidity but temp as well. The lowest the BOM site showed for Noonamah was 10. Then a couple of times it went down to 12 and 13. The humidity got really low but surprisingly not as low as Darwin airport. But then, a southeaster doesn't cross water to get to the airport. And the tarmac/bare ground may have created a warmer pocket which would lower RH.

Looks like the storms have side stepped me again tonight. But they're heading your way Ari, two of them. Although the second might dissipate before reaching you. The pattern here now is starting to look a bit like the beginning of the dry. sad.gif

37C at the moment. Too hot to be outside. It may get to 39C or more today. I'm keeping everything well hydrated at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

The reason I query that reading Ari is that last year I got some plants I felt should have been left til the wet season (I'm impatient). So I watched the BOM site constantly mainly for humidity but temp as well. The lowest the BOM site showed for Noonamah was 10. Then a couple of times it went down to 12 and 13. The humidity got really low but surprisingly not as low as Darwin airport. But then, a southeaster doesn't cross water to get to the airport. And the tarmac/bare ground may have created a warmer pocket which would lower RH.

Looks like the storms have side stepped me again tonight. But they're heading your way Ari, two of them. Although the second might dissipate before reaching you. The pattern here now is starting to look a bit like the beginning of the dry. sad.gif

My friend is near a very wet area... that might have something to do with it. I have a weather station and definitely 8 degree that morning!! So, I actually believe her if her place would be colder than mine...

BTW, we would love to check out your garden one day... :). And no.. not much from that storm at all... All fizzled out before reaching us..

Tyrone,

Why so hot...? this is not summer anymore for you??

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It got to 38C again today. Tomorrow up to 39C or more. It's 9.30pm at the moment and it's 31.6C and cloudy.

Here's the forecast. Back to normal March weather next week, then maybe back to February weather again. The good news is we may have some rain on the way.

Ari, summer takes a long time to actually leave the west coast. We've averaged 17.8Cmin to 33Cmax for Mar so far.

Forecast for Thursday evening

Some high cloud about. Light winds tending moderate E'ly later in the evening.

Forecast for Friday

A partly cloudy day. Moderate to fresh N/NE winds, easing during the morning

before tending W/NW during the afternoon.

City: Min 24 Max 39

Mandurah: Min 25 Max 35

UV Alert: 9:10 am to 3:50 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 9 [Very High]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: VERY HIGH

Hills: VERY HIGH

Saturday Cloudy periods. Min 21 Max 30

Sunday Possible early shower. Min 18 Max 29

Monday Cloudy periods. Min 17 Max 28

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 16 Max 25

Wednesday Sunny. Min 14 Max 27

Thursday Sunny. Min 17 Max 29

Best regards

Tyrone

It has been relatively dry here, Tyrone... and HOT. We only get drips of rain every now and then... I had to water last night (well, the shadehouse really... but while the bore is on, I might as well water the rest...). I hope the promise of monsoon trough delivers at the end of the month.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I hope the monsoon trough returns for you too. At least you have a bore. Imagine life without it. :(

Well it was HOT lastnight. Perth metro recorded a min of 28.1C! and the airport was 29.1C!!!!!!!!! I think that's a record for Perth actually and a definite record for March. We were meant to get down to 24C then get back up to 39C. It's 7.30am and already over 30C so I think we're going for a 40 plus day today, unless some humidity blows in or it rains. Looking at the synoptics I say fat chance to those two scenarios.

I have a theory that you can tell what winter will be like by the mins you get in March. When we had record winter cold in 2006 here, March was already throwing record cold mornings at us, around 4 or 5C some mornings. My prediction is a very warm and dry winter this year. Great for my coconut but disasterous for the ground water and dams if I'm right. I'll test my theory this winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

It's that intense high pressure that was going across. It's too far north for this time of year. Here the breezes this morning have felt typical start of dry season. For Perth it'll be pushing the winds in from the north east, nice and hot.

There's a cyclone in the western Indian Ocean, but weak and dissipating soon. Two possibles in the western Pacific. The low in the Coral Sea is a bit south of the area that generated both TC Ingrid and TC Monica. Be interesting to see where it goes, there's a lot of warm water and low wind shear right across the north. The MJO has strengthened but taken a backward step. The trough looks like it's trying to form through Indonesia but that high pressure system is playing havoc with it. And for here it's taken away all prospects of rain any time soon.

With bore water, it can be a mixed blessing. Mine is better than no water .... but only just. sad.gif

What is wrong with you bore?? I can't live without mine... One day, I will put more rain water tank in... when we have nothing else to spend our money on..

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Yes, it's that high's fault. I'd like a few less isobars and some big vacuums of warm moist air to move across. I suppose that's a tropical low. 38C at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

It is fun reading about current conditions in Australia & how different it is from the northern hemisphere. Today was only 20C w/ overnight low of 8.8C. Next week should warm up but nothing like the very hot readings in western & northern Australia.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Ari, I have to be careful how I use mine. And funnily enough, my neighbour to the north doesn't have that problem. Noonamah is notorious for having big variations in soil even over short distances.

Tyrone, there's changes brewing, but more so for us rather than you. But meantime temperature is going up and humidity is dropping a bit. And the sun is blazing hot out of a crystal clear sky.

Happ, If our rain and cloud completely disappear this time of year it gets pretty hot. The sun is still high and so is humidity. Now it's 36C (about 97F) but the heat index has been sitting around 54C (about 129F) because of the high humidity and lack of wind. Hence our looking forward to the return of the monsoon.

Interesting, just noticed there seems to have been a Gulf-line developed (like they used to do). Could make for some interesting weather if it reaches here, possibly by evening or early half of the night. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Yes... yes.. yes... I see that too... I haven't seen any of that this season!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's 41C outside and 14% RH. Time to sun dry some tomatoes. :D I'm going to go out and water.

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

I think you could sun dry anything with that weather.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That Gulf-line is travelling slower than anticipated (maybe I'm too anxious). It's in a line from Pine Creek, to Elsharana, and about Mt Gilruth. Doesn't look too strong. It might crank up a bit as it passes over the flood plain country. Can't imagine it arriving before midnight or later even. But they don't have a timetable, they've always arrived any time of night.

Tyrone, we might be able to do a deal, I'll send mangos down next season and you can sun dry them. Costs a lot in electricity to do it here. Although, one snag! Your Ag Dept would have a fit if even just one mango accidentally rolled across the border.

Only got to 36C here today but with the humidity and lack of wind the heat index reached 54C. It's night now and 27C with relative humidity of 91%. Fortunately I have automatic irrigation. biggrin.gif

No tropic breeze for Tropicbreeze?

You are welcome to our current weather...blowing a filthy gail with heavy showers intermittently. Only 28C today. At least the wind stays out of my garden, although my back neighbour is cutting down a lot of the 100ft tall eucalypts, and I suspect my garden will be windier from now on...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, probably better to cut them down than to have them come down themselves, wind assisted. "Pancake plants" are 'different' but not really attractive. And "pancake houses" even less attractive.

Looks like the Gulf-line has gone up in a puff of vapour. Just made it past Mary River Station/Cooinda/Jabiru and then started to completely fizzle.

The other activity for the north is the low in the Coral Sea I mentioned the other day. It's beginning to organise itself and is moving westwards. But at 14.9S it's very unlikely to make its way over here although, it's expected to make some headway northwards over the next few days. And within 4 or 5 days it's expected to be about a cat. 4. It may not make it to the mainland, its steering influence is expected to weaken so it might drift southwards. Not so good for places like New Caledonia.

Meantime, there's a possibility this system could draw down the monsoon. Especially now that a low has begun to develop over top of us. Hopefully we'll be getting some weather soon. Maybe a Gulf-line might make it all the way through tomorrow.

A breezeless Tropicbreeze, just call me Tropic for short sad.gif

post-4226-12684023196864_thumb.jpg

Hey.. there is breeze out there tonight... just no rain... As I have been all through the season, I am going to wait and see what happens... I haven't given up on the wet season yet.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone, we might be able to do a deal, I'll send mangos down next season and you can sun dry them. Costs a lot in electricity to do it here. Although, one snag! Your Ag Dept would have a fit if even just one mango accidentally rolled across the border.

Yeah WAQIS would put me up against a wall and have me shot for that. We better not even think of it. They can read your mind too. :unsure:

Best regards

Tyrone

Daryl, probably better to cut them down than to have them come down themselves, wind assisted. "Pancake plants" are 'different' but not really attractive. And "pancake houses" even less attractive.

Yes, you will get no argument from me on that...but I can admire them from afar...only one or two would come close to my fenceline if they toppled the wrong way. Widowmakers for sure!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!