IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

This is a strange late spring w/ conditions more like March but cool springs in California are common compared to other areas [Texas\ Florida]. Don't fully understand the reasons but climate data indicates cold spring seasons have occurred in the past: 1879,1917,1921,1883,1967,1973,1977,1979,1980,1994,& 1998.

Of-course the cool temps slow growth but all my palms are opening fronds.

Today was: 71F\ 21.6C

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

This is a strange late spring w/ conditions more like March but cool springs in California are common compared to other areas [Texas\ Florida]. Don't fully understand the reasons but climate data indicates cold spring seasons have occurred in the past: 1879,1917,1921,1883,1967,1973,1977,1979,1980,1994,& 1998.

What are your night temps Happ. That does seem cool for what would be our Nov weather. By late Nov we're 26-28C during the day.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

What are your night temps Happ. That does seem cool for what would be our Nov weather. By late Nov we're 26-28C during the day.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

The coldest night I've recorded thus far is 50F\ 10C which isn't that cold, per se [especially since the average minimun for May is 58F\ 14.4]. Typically in California the issue is not necessarily the lowest temperature but rather the duration of below normal temps. Minimum in the 40's were widespread yesterday further inland and the following data was issued this morning from a climatologist in the Central Valley:

"Past 24hr CA Temps ranged from the Monday morning lows of 31°f in South Lake Tahoe and 29°f in Bishop, to the afternoon highs on Sunday 71°f in Santa Barbara and 77°f in Death Valley. Record-setting cold temps occurred over the past weekend in northern California with some examples;

Saturday Temp Records:

Redding 34° previous record 39 in 1960

Red Bluff 37° previous record 40 in 1960

Bakersfield 68° tied previous record set in 1960

Fresno 67 tied previous record set in 1898 (112 years ago!)"

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The winter long range Australian forecast is in from the BOM. It looks like it going to be a drier and warmer winter for my part of the world. Maybe this winter will be tipped just a bit more strongly subtropical. I don't mind dry winters provided they're followed by a wet late spring to summer.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/rain_ahead.shtml

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/ahead/temps_ahead.shtml

Happ I noticed that the SST off the Californian coast is lower than normal. Maybe that's it. Is there a lot of coastal fog this year?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone'

Happ I noticed that the SST off the Californian coast is lower than normal. Maybe that's it. Is there a lot of coastal fog this year?

Best regards

Tyrone

Sometimes the opposite occurs; colder air can actually deter the formation of stratus. Low heights translate into cooler than normal interior temps.

Today's desert maximums:

Las Vegas-82F\27.7C [normal: 91F\ 32.7C]

Palm Springs-88F\ 31.1C [normal: 97F\ 36.1C]

Phoenix-90F\32.2C [normal 97F]

The typical Spring inversion of warm air over a cold ocean creates coastal clouds. In other words, the usual night & morning fog has been interrupted by low pressure systems. Ocean temps completely mystify me since outer waters are cooler than normal yet along the coastline temps are fairly normal [and San Diego bay is actually above normal: 67F\ 19.4C - normal 65F\ 18.3C].

Medium range models are showing a decent warm-up over the holiday weekend\ Memorial Day in the U.S.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I hope it warms up for you guys and your palms can start kicking along. It's less than a month to the northern summer solstice.

Best regards

Tyrone

Over here it's being a bit slow to cool down, over there it's a bit slow to warm up. I guess it all balances out. rolleyes.gif

Noonamah AWS recorded a minimum of 23.0C this morning with a maximum of 34.5C this afternoon. Relative humidity went from a peak of 96% this morning to a low of 52% this afternoon.

I had to go into Jabiru today for work and was surprised to see water on the road and off the sides from around Barramundie Creek the rest of the way in, about 100 kms. They'd had a heavy down pour right through there in the morning.

From there I headed directly home for my days off rather than back to work. In the distance ahead I could see a huge cloud in an otherwise nearly cloudless sky. My hope was that it would be over Noonamah drenching my place. The cloud had disappeared as I arrived just on dusk. But no dust on the road, and puddles of water along the side. Unfortunately my weather station never recorded any rain. I'll bet mud wasps got into it. Have to check it in the morning. Noonamah AWS recorded 5.4 mm. I suspect I got more, will have to check with the neighbours.

Five more days and winter begins.

We got around 16mm overnight. Winter here now.

Best regards

Tyrone

As suspected, mud wasps has got in and blocked the hole in the bottom of the rain collector on my weather station. Unfortunately we have the largest mud wasp in the world, and I don't doubt we could also have the smallest. rolleyes.gif No matter the size of hole, there's a mud wasp that will find it the ideal size for plugging up with clay. I have to leave something in the tractor ignition keyhole when I go away. I've had to pull it apart previously when it's ended up plugged with clay. Exhaust pipe's the same. Leave that exposed for a week and it's plugged.

Anyway, the water was still in the collector since the rain had come just before nightfall. Amounted to 8.2 mm. This morning there was a lot of rain around to the north and east. It all dissipated before Noonamah but brought rain to our north and south. Darwin got about 12 mm out of it.

At my place the minimum temp got down to 23.8C. Relative humidity got up to 98% by 7:20 pm and didn't get below that again until after 9:00 am this morning. It stayed at 100% for about 3 hours overnight

Tyrone, I can see a mass of cold air coming in again behind that front. The Kimberley (and a lot of the Great Sandy Desert) are still getting a good wet season. They had what almost looked like a monsoon trough running right through there. Are you sure the planet's rotation hasn't somehow altered and that area is now the new "Wet Tropics"? unsure.gif

Cloud rolling in at day break this morning at my place, but the rain failed to make it. angry.gif

post-4226-12749259728507_thumb.jpg

Lucky you, Zig. We didn't get any from that one yesterday. We went home through it on the highway.... This morning, we might get a few mm's. It was still raining when we left this morning, so we shall see what the rain gauge says...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

"Tyrone, I can see a mass of cold air coming in again behind that front. The Kimberley (and a lot of the Great Sandy Desert) are still getting a good wet season. They had what almost looked like a monsoon trough running right through there. Are you sure the planet's rotation hasn't somehow altered and that area is now the new "Wet Tropics"?"

Zig, that's what normally happens with a cold front. At least it's not coming due south to north. So it's moderated by lots of warmish ocean. Got a bit more rain this morning, some heavy. I had to drive to Safety Bay about 25km north of Mandurah, and it was a miserable drive. Water everywhere down the Freeway and hard to see traffic. The lady whose garden I was tending too said the lawn was covered in hail just 40min before I got there. No hail when I got there, and by the time I'd left it was blue skies and not a cloud. I came back up to Perth and I caught the clouds up with a bit of drizzle, but it's all cleared now.

On the other side of the country southerlies are effecting the NSW and SE QLD coasts.

I've also come down with the flu. I don't think I'll be going anywhere this arvo. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

As suspected, mud wasps has got in and blocked the hole in the bottom of the rain collector on my weather station. Unfortunately we have the largest mud wasp in the world, and I don't doubt we could also have the smallest. rolleyes.gif No matter the size of hole, there's a mud wasp that will find it the ideal size for plugging up with clay. I have to leave something in the tractor ignition keyhole when I go away. I've had to pull it apart previously when it's ended up plugged with clay. Exhaust pipe's the same. Leave that exposed for a week and it's plugged.

Anyway, the water was still in the collector since the rain had come just before nightfall. Amounted to 8.2 mm. This morning there was a lot of rain around to the north and east. It all dissipated before Noonamah but brought rain to our north and south. Darwin got about 12 mm out of it.

At my place the minimum temp got down to 23.8C. Relative humidity got up to 98% by 7:20 pm and didn't get below that again until after 9:00 am this morning. It stayed at 100% for about 3 hours overnight

Tyrone, I can see a mass of cold air coming in again behind that front. The Kimberley (and a lot of the Great Sandy Desert) are still getting a good wet season. They had what almost looked like a monsoon trough running right through there. Are you sure the planet's rotation hasn't somehow altered and that area is now the new "Wet Tropics"? unsure.gif

Cloud rolling in at day break this morning at my place, but the rain failed to make it. angry.gif

post-4226-12749259728507_thumb.jpg

Zig,

Enjoy reading your observations. What exactly is your latitude? Very tropical no doubt.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ, Zig is about 12S. He can throw a rock into the northern hemisphere he's so close to the equator. :lol:

Best regards

Tyrone

Well we're starting to wear winter conditions here now. It was only 8.6c at 4.30pm and snow is falling down south. Skiers can start waxing!

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Spring show us his summerlook last weekend with temperatures above the 25C and a nighttemperatures between the 13-15C. Yesterday and today are a bit cooler but from tomorrow we are going up to some nice springs temperatures around the 20C. And it looks like June would be taking more summerlike temperatures, when summer is arriving. :)

Southwest

I've also come down with the flu. I don't think I'll be going anywhere this arvo. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Same here... Tyrone. I actually got mine for 2 weeks now. This one is persistent!! Annoying though, tired all the time when there is so much to do around the place. Anyway, enjoy the rain... I know we do :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here's the forecast for the next few days. This time of the year whenever I see a daytime max 20C or above I'm glad. I don't worry too much about mins until they start to get down around 3C.

Forecast for Friday

Chance of a morning shower. Light mainly S/SW winds, tending moderate W/SW in

the afternoon.

Precis: Possible morning shower.

City: Max 20

Mandurah: Max 20

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: NOT RATED

Hills: NOT RATED

Saturday Sunny. Min 7 Max 21

Sunday Sunny. Min 7 Max 22

Monday Cloud increasing. Min 8 Max 20

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 7 Max 21

Wednesday Cloudy. Min 10 Max 21

Thursday Cloudy. Min 9 Max 21

Ari, I'm off to a landscapers trade show this morning. I'm taking some cough lollies with me.

Best regards

Tyrone

What do you mean "lucky" Ari? In the last week you got 5 mm and then 20 mm a day or so later. My total for the whole of May is 9.4 mm. I wanna know what you've been doing to that weather! rock.gif

Happ, don't you believe what Tyrone's saying, I don't throw stones across the equator, he's just trying to get me into trouble with the Indonesians and Malaysians. Those stones are coming out of their volcanos, that's my story and I'm sticking to it! wink-1.gif I'm about 15 kilometres from Ari (Ariscott).

Mike, on the weather charts it looks like there's 4 low pressure systems trying to force their way into NZ, all at the same time. I could cope with snow if there was enough for skiing, but on holidays only. I learned to ski in Austria some years back and really loved it. Coming back to Oz I found out we have ice slush rather than snow.

Exotic Life, isn't above 25C considered a heat wave in Holland. I remember when I was there some people complained about those temperatures.

Tyrone, last year I got a bad flu and just couldn't shake while travelling. But there were so many things I didn't want to miss out on so I just kept going. You're torn two ways.

This morning was almost a duplicate of yesterday morning. Minimum was 23.3C (73.9F), humidity stayed 98% (maximum was 100%) and above until about 9:00 am. Yesterday the maximum got to 32.6C (90.7F) and humidity bottomed out at 69%.

And all the rain is south of us, in the Victoria River District and the Kimberley. In fact, yesterday some one drowned in their car when they were swept off the road near the West Australian and Northern Territory border. It went on to the NT road toll so probably was on the Keep River (home to Livistona victoriae). This time of year it would be more normal for someone to be drowned in dust in that area.

Well we're starting to wear winter conditions here now. It was only 8.6c at 4.30pm and snow is falling down south. Skiers can start waxing!

Gee you kiwis are strange folks. Here we have to get waxed in summer.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Zig, I wish I got your winter weather-what you're getting now, in summer. At least you can grow lipstick palms and every Hydriastele and Pinanga and Calyptrocalyx and Licuala you like. Down here we have to get picky with our species, and try things that no one has tried before.

The Landscape Expo was good. I think I may have made a very promising business connection with a company that supplies water features etc which will fit right in with my tropical landscaping theme. I wanted to go out this arvo and get some more plants for a job I start next week, but I'm too stuffed. I may just got to bed.

We had a min of 9.6C and a max of 20.4C with a few clouds around. We had some drizzle this morning that wasn't reported officially. Still the coconut grew 0.5cm overnight. It's unstoppable. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

According to the BOM, we WILL get the dry season by Monday.... Hhhmm, we shall see about that!! If it is true... it's a bummer... was planning to plant some licuala this weekend.

Zig, we got 37mm so far this month... Crazy for May... Northern Suburbs and town has been getting more, but I am not complaining.

Tyrone,

Take a break... This one I got just keep on hanging around like bad smell. I can't slow down either... got kids, house and garden to look after. Apparently, a mum is not supposed to get sick!! I think if I can just sleep for the whole day, I would be right the next day...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gee you kiwis are strange folks. Here we have to get waxed in summer.

Peachy

Well you never know who you might meet when you're out on the slopes. :rolleyes:

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

Happ, don't you believe what Tyrone's saying, I don't throw stones across the equator, he's just trying to get me into trouble with the Indonesians and Malaysians. Those stones are coming out of their volcanos, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Zig, I heard you had quite a pitch but not all the way to Indonesia! :lol:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Ari, I knew the rain was all going just to the north and south of me, it seems to be the norm but all the same we still end up with similar averages. Must be more intense here when it does rain. As far as the dry goes, there's a strong high pressure coming across now, could be that it'll stay intense (unlike the previous ones) and blow all the humid air away.

Happ, I think at the nearest point Indonesia (West Timor) is about 400 kms away.

Weather's changing a bit, we've been getting some light wind from early this morning, maximum gust 9.7 kph. Change from the dead calm we've had through the nights and early mornings, perhaps a sign of the end of the doldrums.

Lot of cloud around in the morning and I even felt a light mistiness for a while although nothing registered in the gauge. Yesterday heavy rain moved from the Kimberley and Victoria River District northeastwards. Unfortunately it fell short of here. But just to give you an idea of how widespread and heavy the falls were here's a few of the figures for the 24 hours up to 9:00 am this morning:

Darwin 26 mm

Bradshaw 35 mm

Delemere 37 mm

Adelaide River PO 68 mm

Upper Adelaide River 118 mm

Upper Katherine River 61 mm

Pine Creek 31 mm

Beswick Bridge 65 mm

Ngukurr 33 mm

West Waterhouse 49 mm

Even Tennant Creek got 13 mm. So it was mostly in the bottom half of the Top End. Of course, Noonamah again got nothing.

Minimum this morning 23.8C (74.8F), maximum yesterday 33.8C (92.8F). Relative Humidity peaked at 99% this morning and bottomed out at 60% yesterday. It reached 98% at 11:00 pm and dropped below 98% at 4:00 am when wind started up.

Took some photos of the rising moon last night (full moon just the other day). Clear shots of the full orb of the moon were washed out so there's just this one in the middle of cloud that came out best.

post-4226-12751339231499_thumb.jpg

Didn't you get anything?? I was sure you would've got something!!! We get 8.5mm. Can't complain!! It was a great day for the garden...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, I knew the rain was all going just to the north and south of me, it seems to be the norm but all the same we still end up with similar averages. Must be more intense here when it does rain. As far as the dry goes, there's a strong high pressure coming across now, could be that it'll stay intense (unlike the previous ones) and blow all the humid air away.

Happ, I think at the nearest point Indonesia (West Timor) is about 400 kms away.

Weather's changing a bit, we've been getting some light wind from early this morning, maximum gust 9.7 kph. Change from the dead calm we've had through the nights and early mornings, perhaps a sign of the end of the doldrums.

Lot of cloud around in the morning and I even felt a light mistiness for a while although nothing registered in the gauge. Yesterday heavy rain moved from the Kimberley and Victoria River District northeastwards. Unfortunately it fell short of here. But just to give you an idea of how widespread and heavy the falls were here's a few of the figures for the 24 hours up to 9:00 am this morning:

Darwin 26 mm

Bradshaw 35 mm

Delemere 37 mm

Adelaide River PO 68 mm

Upper Adelaide River 118 mm

Upper Katherine River 61 mm

Pine Creek 31 mm

Beswick Bridge 65 mm

Ngukurr 33 mm

West Waterhouse 49 mm

Even Tennant Creek got 13 mm. So it was mostly in the bottom half of the Top End. Of course, Noonamah again got nothing.

Minimum this morning 23.8C (74.8F), maximum yesterday 33.8C (92.8F). Relative Humidity peaked at 99% this morning and bottomed out at 60% yesterday. It reached 98% at 11:00 pm and dropped below 98% at 4:00 am when wind started up.

Took some photos of the rising moon last night (full moon just the other day). Clear shots of the full orb of the moon were washed out so there's just this one in the middle of cloud that came out best.

post-4226-12751339231499_thumb.jpg

Zig, I've gotta make it to the top end. Those warm winter night skies are just beautiful.

Best regards

Tyrone

It is a cool Saturday today. There is a refreshing breeze and the temperatures are in the low 80s F. That is a nice change. There were a few real hot days during the past week. It feels like we may have gotten the tail end of a cold front that made it to the equator.

dk

Manaus, Brazil

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Current Conditions

82° 3:59 PM CLOUDY

More Information

RealFeel® 90°

Winds NNW 14 mph

Relative Humidity 78%

Dew Point 75°

Barometric Pressure 29.9

Pressure Tendency Unavailable

Visibility 10

Sunrise 5/29/2010 5:58:48 AM

Sunset 5/29/2010 5:56:09 PM

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I actually don't mind the dry season for a bit. As long as it is not as long as last year or the year before... It is nice not to sweat everytime you step outside for a change... Now that the irrigation is working well and I don't have to keep turning the taps on and off, it is a lot easier...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Finally getting some warmth after weeks of coolish temps. Dry offshore flow\ low dew points so night temp may drop below 60F\ 15.5C. Several nearby cities recorded 90F+\ 32.2C.

Hi: 84F\ 28.8C

Lo: 56F\ 13.3C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I'm glad you're getting a bit of warmth Happ. Good BBQ weather. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

It's a beautiful sunny 24.1C at the moment. I can't complain.

Best regards

Tyrone

Ari, I'm starting to suspect you're somehow deflecting all my rain up to your place wink-1.gif The high pressure seems to be weakening a bit, perhaps due to the intense low along the east coast. But there's another one coming in off the Indian Ocean which looks like it's going to be really intense. We'll see over the coming week. If it does dry out everyone will be flat out trying to catch up with their burning programs.

Happ, well it looks as if summer might eventually happen. How's the humidity though? If that drops off it won't help a lot of palms.

Tyrone, the winters here aren't too good. The minimums drop to under 20C. That becomes a bit difficult for us locals. rolleyes.gif

Minimum this morning was 23.8C (74.8F) and maximum yesterday 32.4C (90.3F). Relative humidity ranged from 67% to 99%. There was a bit of rain here this afternoon, but only 1.5 mm.

Hhhmmm.... 21.2 degree at the moment... Yes, the dry is here for now...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Tyrone, the winters here aren't too good. The minimums drop to under 20C. That becomes a bit difficult for us locals. rolleyes.gif

Yesssss.

Totally unbearable.

I don't know how you put up with it. :blink:

Time to move to Singapore, where on a clear day you really can see Indonesia. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Clear day?? in Singapore?? LOL

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Sunday afternoon was real pleasant. As I looked up at the sky from behind my house the clouds were so nice I decided to take a few pictures. The day was pleasant, not too hot and it did not rain. There has been enough rain lately anyway.

The afternoon flight of Copa Airlines on it´s way to Panama.

post-0-12752848565371_thumb.jpg

A few vultures settling in for the evening in the Maurtia tree across the street. There were two Mauritias, but one died and turned into a pole.

post-0-12752849309575_thumb.jpg

post-0-12752848193326_thumb.jpg

post-0-12752848391591_thumb.jpg

post-0-12752848743021_thumb.jpg

post-0-12752848942124_thumb.jpg

post-0-12752849161449_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I love pictures of the tropics.

First day of winter tomorrow in the south. Here we go people!!!!!! Let's get this over and done with. It will only get worse before it gets better, but it WILL get better.

19C and cloudy for the first day of winter for me after a dewy min of 8C.

I'm going to hibernate now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Only 6c outside as I write this. Daytime max today was only 12c. Think you Darwin folk would keel over in those temps!

Oceanic Climate

Aotearoa

I can DEAL with that kind of temperature again, Mike.... but why would I want to?? LOL

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"