IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Autumn(Fall) in the south, Spring in the north

Tyrone

Wait till mid week here, absolute disaster weather coming for palms - DRY and COLD with DRY WINDS ahhhh!!!!

Quote from the bureau:

"Wednesday: the trough has cleared the SE part of the state with cooler, drier

SW winds. Showers now confined to the NE part of the state as the trough moves

north through the Capricorn district. Some early frost over the Granite Belt.

Thursday and Friday, becoming dry over most of the state with cool day

temperatures over the southern half. A chilly morning in the south with

extensive early frost over the southern and SE interior. Isolated showers now

confined to the NE tropics. Winds easing over the south. "

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Freezing here this morning!!! 18.8C when I woke up from my sleep at 5 am (went back to sleep again after... of course!!!). Yes, the dry is here and it is here with a vengeance!! The kids went to bed with doona and long pyjama last night...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Wait till mid week here, absolute disaster weather coming for palms - DRY and COLD with DRY WINDS ahhhh!!!!

Quote from the bureau:

"Wednesday: the trough has cleared the SE part of the state with cooler, drier

SW winds. Showers now confined to the NE part of the state as the trough moves

north through the Capricorn district. Some early frost over the Granite Belt.

Thursday and Friday, becoming dry over most of the state with cool day

temperatures over the southern half. A chilly morning in the south with

extensive early frost over the southern and SE interior. Isolated showers now

confined to the NE tropics. Winds easing over the south. "

Looks like the start of our winter weather pattern is only a couple of days away Wal... :(

It was a nice 16C last night...hope it stays that way for a while longer!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

It was a sultry 9 in Hobart when it was only 5 here ???? Did the planet do a backflip when nobody was watching ? I am here in the western suburbs of Brisbane about to die from hypothermia and those tasmanians are practically basking in the moonlight. Not quite so cold tonight, not sure what the temp is actually, and I dont intend to get out of bed and find out. ( I luvs me laptop) I didnt have to put the heating on though, as I can keep my face uncovered at least. The furballs are snuggled in and they are adding to my personal warmth factor. Stereo snores arent helping my insomnia at all. Hopefully the last couple of nights were freaks and we get back to our nice mild nights we were having before the onset of the cold. No fog tonight either....just the usual bit of light mist on the surface of the river.

Peachy

That's nippy Peachy. At least you warm up during the day in winter. I had a look at your area on Google Earth and you're about 80km inland. No wonder you get cold at night even though you're well within the subtropics. On average through winter you are a couple of degrees colder than me at night, but a couple of degrees warmer and sunnier through the day. That bit of winter sun and warmth makes a huge difference. The trick is to catch that winter sun heat, and let it slowly discharge through the night.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Freezing here this morning!!! 18.8C when I woke up from my sleep at 5 am (went back to sleep again after... of course!!!). Yes, the dry is here and it is here with a vengeance!! The kids went to bed with doona and long pyjama last night...

Ari, you guys in the tropics make me laugh. You're like the lipstick palm. :lol:

18.8C is our average summer minimums here, and we don't have the dooners on then. More likely an air conditioner and fans, although I do remember myself saying that one night it was 19C and it actually felt cold. I must have become accustomed to our hotter than average summer this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

From weatherzone:

The wintry chill is set to to take another bite out of southeastern Australia during the middle of this week, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Computer models have been indicating a surge of cold air to push through the southern states on Tuesday and Wednesday, bringing snow to the ranges, possibly as far north as the New South Wales Central Tablelands.

A front will cross Melbourne during Tuesday, triggering hail and isolated storms, then pushing north with gusty southwesterly winds. By Wednesday, temperatures city-wide should only be able to reach 14 or 15 degrees.

Sydney and Canberra won't miss out. Sydney is set to reach just 18 degrees on Thursday and Canberra will freeze (metaphorically speaking)

in the low teens.

Even residents of Brisbane will have to bring out the winter woollens. As the cold air filters equator-ward this will cause the mercury to peak at just 22 degrees on Thursday, the coldest since last July.

:unsure:

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Hhhmm.... on the other hand, some models predict rain for the top end??? I am totally utterly confused :huh:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Noonamah AWS recorded a low of 19.3C this morning and a high of 32.6C this afternoon. Relative humidity went from a high of 78% over night to a low of 43% in the afternoon.

The rain in the Top End will most probably be confined to the Gove area, not unusual during the dry season.

There's been a mass of cold air moving across just south of WA. Looks like they expect it to swirl up further north. I hope all that mob in the south east of the country turn their heaters up high enough to warm that air before it approaches us smilie.gif

Apparently not just Gove, Zig... a few of my weather friends are talking about it today. I guess we shall see what this funny weather brings... BTW, Scott bought a spiny palms today :angry:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

8 last night and 9 forecast for tonight. At least I wont die yet. Tyrone I am 38 klms from the Brisbane GPO, I dont think I am quite that far inland, although Moreton Bay twists and turns a lot. Michael, I have had the winter woollies out for a week. Thats one thing I miss about Melbourne, I was always knitting something for someone, here I make myself a new jumper every year, with matching scarves for the poochies and that is the extent of it. Supposed to get some rain tomorrow....I hope so, as usual I got very little of last weeks good falls. I checked my place on Google Earth too.....horrible photo of my house....ick, but I was surprised to learn than I am something like 8 metres above sea level....I never dreamt it is as low lying as that. As each year passes my canopy slowly gets heavier, although I did make a mistake with a couple of deciduous trees that dont offer any frost protection when the leaves have fallen. They are too big to take out now so I am trying to get other things to grow between them. Ari if it was 18 in the daytime, I would frozen solid, but for an overnight temp, I think I could cope with that just fine.....ya big wimp !!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

From weatherzone:

The wintry chill is set to to take another bite out of southeastern Australia during the middle of this week, according to weatherzone.com.au.

Computer models have been indicating a surge of cold air to push through the southern states on Tuesday and Wednesday, bringing snow to the ranges, possibly as far north as the New South Wales Central Tablelands.

A front will cross Melbourne during Tuesday, triggering hail and isolated storms, then pushing north with gusty southwesterly winds. By Wednesday, temperatures city-wide should only be able to reach 14 or 15 degrees.

Sydney and Canberra won't miss out. Sydney is set to reach just 18 degrees on Thursday and Canberra will freeze (metaphorically speaking)

in the low teens.

Even residents of Brisbane will have to bring out the winter woollens. As the cold air filters equator-ward this will cause the mercury to peak at just 22 degrees on Thursday, the coldest since last July.

:unsure:

Regards

Michael

I think we're just about to turn the corner into winter here too Michael. I'll be covering the coconut tomorrow. The heater's going now and so is the oven. Pizza's and wine tonight. A bit of comfort food as winter approaches.

Forecast for Monday

A mostly sunny day. Light to moderate E/SE winds.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Min 8 Max 21

Mandurah: Min 12 Max 20

UV Alert: 10:50 am to 1:40 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 4 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: LOW-MODERATE

Hills: LOW-MODERATE

Tuesday Sunny. Min 9 Max 24

Wednesday Sunny. Min 12 Max 24

Thursday Few showers, easing. Min 10 Max 19

Friday Possible shower. Min 8 Max 20

Saturday Partly cloudy. Min 7 Max 21

Sunday Shower or two developing. Min 9 Max 21

Best regards

Tyrone

Tyrone,

That does look like it is cooling down.

Here, the dry season is coming. But, not yet here.

The skies have been great though with incredible towering clouds.

The weather right now.

WeatherAlarm™ for the Manaus area

more

AccuWeather.com Quick Look

Days 1-5 Days 6-10 Days 10-15 Weekends All 15 Days

Currently At 8:07PM

Mostly Cloudy

28°C

RealFeel®

34°C

Winds: S

at 4km/h

Mostly Cloudy

Humidity: 83%

Dew Point: 25° C

Pressure: 101 KPA

Visibility: 8 km

Tomorrow Rain

High: 29°C

RealFeel®: 43°C

Sunrise: 5:57 AM

Tonight Mostly Cloudy w/ T-Storms

Low: 24°C

RealFeel®: 29°C

Sunset: 5:56 PM

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Perfect weather for you, Don...

Weird day here today... a bit overcast, but only 28deg 67% humidity. Maybe this predicted rain will come after all...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Quite reasonable last night but turned chilly just before sunup. Today is overcast and quite muggy, high 20s at a guess. Bit of a breeze blowing so I doubt the predicted rain will eventuate. Got to go out later and get some more bales of lucerne for mulching. With a lot of pushing and shoving I can get 5 bales crammed into poor little Tojo's Revenge.....getting them out again is the hard part !! As my birthday is getting near, a big station wagon or ute would make the perfect gift for the woman who has nearly everything !!! Not that I am hinting. (much) :winkie:

Peachy

27.35 south.

It barely made 20C today. 24C tomorrow after a min of 9C.

Yesterday's max recorded at Noonamah AWS was 32.3C, min this morning was 20.8C. Relative humidity bottomed at 51% and peaked over night at 95%. The UV index only gets to 11 now, probably drop to 10 soon.

There was a sprinkle of rain around the Wadeye area yesterday, and a bit more in the area from Gove to Milingimbi. Don't know whether it was enough to register or whether any of it even managed to get into any of the rain gauges though.

2 storms this arvo, with some much needed rain and going by the sky there is more on the way. Very cool today, only 24 but tonight is supposed to drop to 9, however with all this cloud I think it will be higher. Hopefully more rain before the predicted chilly spell on thursday. Even though I am always watering, out front was just a dust bowl after the weeds were pulled out. I think tomorrow I might do the midnight sprinkler trick and then start throwing mulch around out there.

Peachy

27.35 south.

23C today and sunny after a 9C min. it was dry and windy as well. 24C tomorrow then a string of days around 19, 20C and the odd shower. It's very dry at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yesterday's max recorded at Noonamah AWS was 33.3C, min this morning was 23.0C. Relative humidity bottomed at 44% and peaked over night at 92%.

UV index predicted only getting to 9, that's nearly bottomed out for us now.

Dew point ranged between 18.0C and 23.1C.

Some gusty wind yesterday but calm over night. There was a sprinkle of rain around the Gove area yesterday. For the rest it's been dry, dry, dry. Next likely rain possibly September, maybe October.

Here's the forecast for Perth. Got the coconut wrapped up snug for the winter. I think he'll keep growing actually.

It's nice that we're going to get some rain, but I think after a few days I'm going to be sick of it. If it rained when it was about 5 degrees warmer I'd be very happy, but no, it rains when it's down near 20C. :(

Forecast for Wednesday

A sunny day. A few showers developing Wednesday night. Light to moderate NE/NW

winds becoming moderate W/SW during the morning.

Precis: Sunny day.

City: Max 24

Mandurah: Max 23

UV Alert: 10:50 am to 1:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 4 [Moderate]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Thursday Few showers, thunderstorm risk. Min 10 Max 19

Friday Possible shower. Min 8 Max 19

Saturday Possible shower. Min 7 Max 20

Sunday Shower or two. Min 9 Max 21

Monday Shower or two. Min 9 Max 20

Tuesday Possible shower. Min 10 Max 20

Here's the forecast for Perth. Got the coconut wrapped up snug for the winter. I think he'll keep growing actually.

It's nice that we're going to get some rain, but I think after a few days I'm going to be sick of it. If it rained when it was about 5 degrees warmer I'd be very happy, but no, it rains when it's down near 20C. :(

Well it's raining here and it was a "balmy" max of 14C :angry:

Warming back up to 20C in a few days....but the last two days have been nothing short of foul. The only positive I can draw is that it's all water for the tanks I guess !

Regards

Michael.

Edited by Miccles

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

We had a min of 11.5C last night and just over 20mm of rain early this morning with thunder and a light show. It should have given everything a nice soaking. The nice weather is now finished. The best we can hope for is a sunny 22C day until winter ends. Time to pot up my Rhopies.

Best regards

Tyrone

Heard on the radio about the weather in Perth but when I got onto the radar it was almost over.

I'm back in Noonamah at my place, this morning's minimum was 20.3C. Yesterdays maximum was 32.6C. Maximum relative humidity over night was 95%, low yesterday was 50%

This morning it dropped from the high of 95% at 7:30 am to 51% at 10:30 am. It'll be dropping lower than that before the day's over. That's real dry season behaviour.

After going up to 27 yesterday, today's 24 was a bit on the cool side. It's not even dark yet but the temp has dropped dramatically in the last half hour. The heating just went on. I better start saving, only got 20 years to get to Darwin where its going to be warmer.

27.35 south.

Only got to 16.7C today. Coldest day in ages. :(

Sunny and 24C today, but it's now 11C at 11PM here...coldest night since last winter...brought my Sealing wax inside tonight! I reckon it will be single digits in the wee hours....brrrr

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We are back up to above 20s minimum... Not sure what it's going on with the dry season. 23 deg at 3am when I woke up because of the baby... no wonder my grass is still growing :rolleyes: . Time to mow again...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

4.4C this morning. Coldest since last Sep. :(

I've just been out to check on the coconut. Even though we had 20mm of rain followed by a cloudy day that was still 14C at midday and only reached 16.7C with no sun, followed by a cold night down to 4.4C, the coconut didn't drop below 8C at night and grew about 5mm overnight, as I marked the spear yesterday. Considering the conditions I reckon that's amazing. At the moment there is not a cloud in the sky and the coconut is sunbaking. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I am still yet to check out what the minimum was last night but as it got very cold about 5pm, thats usually a good indicator that it must have been down around 0 later on. The prediction was for 2 so for once it wasnt far off the mark. Nothing has been bothered so far by the cold.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Sorry about the chill Aussies! At least your rugga is looking hotter than it has for years! :mrlooney:

Coldest morning this morning 14.5. Max today is 30c, but I see a cold front is coming and tomorrow we may get some rain (fingers crossed). Then back up to the high twenties for 4 days with mins around 17c, well thats the forecast anyway!

Cheers and keep warm!

D

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Got down to 9C last night but the day reached 20C in the shade. The wind has been quite strong out in the open, but my garden is protected well and it still feels like summer in the sun. I have covered my L Grandis and P Pacifica with my potable hothouses as using these during winter help a great deal in the recovery of the palms at the start of spring. The grandis is such a small palm its easy to keep covering after all these years, the pacifica is only young but eventually it will reach a size that covering it will be impossible and time will tell if it can survive winters in Port Macquarie. I do not use heaters anymore for my palms which is just as well with the price of electricity these day's.

Tyrone my pond during winter is kept at just above 20C unless the nights get really cold like close to 0C then it can get down to 15C but this hasnt happened often over the years. Oscars are quite tough for short periods of time and a day or two of 15C hasnt killed it yet. Actually it probably sits above the heater when the water gets down to those temperatures. Its quite a large oscar at 8". Also the pond is covered with a blanket of water plants to help keep in the heat. The pond holds about 50 gallons of water, so its not a big pond by any means.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Got down to 9C last night but the day reached 20C in the shade. The wind has been quite strong out in the open, but my garden is protected well and it still feels like summer in the sun. I have covered my L Grandis and P Pacifica with my potable hothouses as using these during winter help a great deal in the recovery of the palms at the start of spring. The grandis is such a small palm its easy to keep covering after all these years, the pacifica is only young but eventually it will reach a size that covering it will be impossible and time will tell if it can survive winters in Port Macquarie. I do not use heaters anymore for my palms which is just as well with the price of electricity these day's.

Tyrone my pond during winter is kept at just above 20C unless the nights get really cold like close to 0C then it can get down to 15C but this hasnt happened often over the years. Oscars are quite tough for short periods of time and a day or two of 15C hasnt killed it yet. Actually it probably sits above the heater when the water gets down to those temperatures. Its quite a large oscar at 8". Also the pond is covered with a blanket of water plants to help keep in the heat. The pond holds about 50 gallons of water, so its not a big pond by any means.

Cheers

Mike

Your fishpond is an amazing set up. I was thinking about planting my L grandis. I think I will keep it in a pot. One covered palm is enough.

Best regards

Tyrone

It was 1 degree here this morning and 26 by lunchtime. Supposed to be a balmy 3 tonight. I managed to get a few of the tropical things inside but the Calyptrogyne ghieswhatever, the Phoenocophorum borsignianum, the Pelagodoxa henryana and the Siphokentia beguinii got left out. They are fine so they can stay out. I will reconsider if and when a frost is forecast. I have never covered my Licuala grandis and it seems fine. Its a freak I think because it grows so quickly. The Pritchardia beccariana seedlings are okay too. They have grown like mad and are now 30cms high with 2 leaves, 8 weeks since germination. I have really high hopes for these babies, so the coming winter will tell me if they are viable here or not. I would love to try a P.pacifica but for now cowardice has the upper hand.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Today started out a bit overcast but quickly cleared as the sun came up into a brilliant blue sky. Middle of the day some cloud around, increased later into the afternoon. In fact, late afternoon the clouds looked like wet season post storm. No rain though.

Minimum temp last night 21.7C (luckily, my plants are already on their full winter protection).

Maximum today 33.4C.

Last night's maximum relative humidity 97%. Todays minimum relative humidity 54%. Maximum wind gust today 11.3 KPH.

At 8:00 pm tonight it was 27.4C, relative humidity 82%.

Funny goings on with the weather. There's been rain across the Pilbara and Kimberley regions. Seems to be feeding off the weather system that went through Perth. It's sending cold air up north which is mixing with tropical air moving southwards off the high pressure ridge in the east of the continent.

It looks like this area of mixed air could develop into a system of its own causing more wide spread rain in the north. It's still only mid May, so not exactly out of the realms of possibility. Any low developing there could be boosted by the warm waters off the north west coast. Sea's still between 30C to 32C out there. The satellite image shows a lot of cloud moving in over that area. And just when I thought our weather had settled into its winter period of dormancy.

Peachy, no wonder you left those palms outside, not even those names would fit in through the door!

Broome is going for a rainy top of 23C tomorrow. That's cold for that far north.

It's 9.30pm and 9C. The sky has cleared and the wind is zero. This is going to be a cold night.

Best regards

Tyrone

The wind stayed away, the clouds stayed away and we hit a low of 2.5C. A little too close to the wire for May actually. Right now it's dead calm and blue skies, so all I can hope for is a big bit of sun warming, and thick clouds to move in tonight. I don't want clouds in the day and then clear skies at night, not with this polar air mass hanging around.

Best regards

Tyrone

2.5C? And it's not even winter yet. Although, lately I've noticed our coldest nights seem to come early. Last year there was a cold burst in May, then not so low for the rest of the dry season.

The rain got in close to us overnight. Batchelor got just over 5 mm this morning. Nothing here. And today that large cloud mass that was creeping in on us has moved further away (southwards). You can see where the cold core of that cloud is sitting from todays predictions for these places:

Maximum temperatures for Saturday

Broome 23C

Derby 23C

Halls Creek 19C

Kununurra 30C

My weather station is predicting rain here today, but I think it's a little wonky on that one.

This morning's low was 23.1C with an overnight peak relative humidity of 99%. This afternoon 1:00 pm was 33.2C, lowest relative humidity 59%. Highest wind gust was early morning at 11.3 KPH. Some cloud through the day but not enough to significantly affect the sun. UV index is predicted to get to 10.

It looks like rain today. I was planning on roasting some meat on the grill. But, I may get rained out.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Current Conditions

26° 10:28 AM CLOUDY

More Information

RealFeel® 33°

Relative Humidity 88%

Dew Point 24°

Barometric Pressure 101.4

Pressure Tendency Steady

Visibility 16

Sunrise 5/15/2010 5:57:09 AM

Sunset 5/15/2010 5:55:40 PM

I just took this picture looking across the neighborhood from behind my house. I sure looks like it will rain to me.

post-188-12739363421388_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg