IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A CHANGE COMING? -warmer?

gsytch

I was just watching my 5 o'clock local news, and our weather man, Paul Dellegatto, stated that he sees a significant change in the weather pattern FOR THE WHOLE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE in about 7 days. I went to Accuweather and they haven't got the message yet.

He stated that the AO (Arctic Oscillation) causing all this continued cold and cold fronts will begin moving, thus changing the pattern. He actually, NOW HEAR THIS, put the 8 on the LEFT! Like in 80F???? Normal???? Today was absolutely clear, blue skies, but only 66F yet it felt soooo good in the sun while eating lunch. Dare we actually hope? Greg :rolleyes:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It's been in the low 20's here for the past month... and it said we should reach 40 by Saturday.

This is all normal for Wisconsin!

Milwaukee, WI to Ocala, FL

I was just watching my 5 o'clock local news, and our weather man, Paul Dellegatto, stated that he sees a significant change in the weather pattern FOR THE WHOLE NORTHERN HEMISPHERE in about 7 days. I went to Accuweather and they haven't got the message yet.

He stated that the AO (Arctic Oscillation) causing all this continued cold and cold fronts will begin moving, thus changing the pattern. He actually, NOW HEAR THIS, put the 8 on the LEFT! Like in 80F???? Normal???? Today was absolutely clear, blue skies, but only 66F yet it felt soooo good in the sun while eating lunch. Dare we actually hope? Greg :rolleyes:

Good! I hate this cold, give me blazing summer heat and humidity any day. Once I start sweating, I don't mind the heat.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Haven't heard that yet but hope it's true. Got into the 60s here today. Tomorrow brings rain and high winds, then lows back to low/mid-40s through Sat. or Sun. Maybe we'll hit 70 Sun. - so the weather gurus say. They've been putting out that tease for 2 months.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. Even in the coldest years here in Louisiana, folks always put in their spring vegetable gardens around March 15. The last decade has spoiled us, sometimes getting our gardens in as early as Feb 1st.

As much as I wanted to live a Zone warmer than reality, isn't that all gardeners that want that no matter what zone they are in today, this year snapped me from warm Zone 9b back to a cool Zone 9a. We tend to think in relation to the last decade or two, while Zone maps tend to think in centuries. I accepted the reality of this a few years ago, and have it in my signature just to remind me. Because I varied my planting as a result the cold didn't hurt as bad as it would have, but it still hurt.

So, keep on Zone pushing, but except the reality that it is only temporary.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

im going to keep mine as 10 as that is very true no matter what a dumb federal usda paper says, how many zone 10 decades has to go by before were known as z 10, just because 2 months of this happens doesnt mean im going to change, and some areas way south of me got it just as bad or even worse. besides im not zone pushing, im more like defending. lol

Edited by floridasun

i love florida...............and palm trees!

According to our local rag (Palm Beach Post), more coolness is in order for March.

[snip]

In a summary issued today, Molleda also said that the spring outlook calls for a continuation of cooler and wetter conditions as El Niño continues to influence weather patterns — with March especially cooler than normal because that winter pattern still will be in place.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/weather-news/surprise-weather-service-says-this-is-coldest-winter-305587.html

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

yeah a virtual heat wave here... :angry:

My forecast lows for the next 4 days of March are 46F, 36F, 38F, 40F!

And that is before they probably REVISE them DOWN!!!

This winter SUCKS!!!just sayin

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I agree this winter sux . I felt like a snowbird sunday i broke out the shorts and felt warm when it was in the 60s. CHEERS to SPRING :rolleyes:

Palms not just a tree also a state of mind

As much as I wanted to live a Zone warmer than reality, isn't that all gardeners that want that no matter what zone they are in today, this year snapped me from warm Zone 9b back to a cool Zone 9a. We tend to think in relation to the last decade or two, while Zone maps tend to think in centuries. I accepted the reality of this a few years ago, and have it in my signature just to remind me. Because I varied my planting as a result the cold didn't hurt as bad as it would have, but it still hurt.

So, keep on Zone pushing, but except the reality that it is only temporary.

Reality accepted. Because everything is temporary - even Planet Earth.

Watching How the Earth Was Made again, and the stories of prehistoric life going extinct from carbon dioxide of supervolcanos, and have seen many other shows like it, with stories of the Sahara that once was a thriving tropical land, the Rockies formed underwater.... how everything changes...

When we zone-push, we discover plants that we never thought would grow where we are, yet some do, and we have bismarkias and kerriodoxas and morrissiis growing far from their habitat. We have many losses, and some successes. But if the cold doesn't kill a palm, something else can.

Last night we brought in the baronnii, albofarinosa, ptychosperma, and baby palms to keep them from being killed or damaged by gale-force wind. It's always something, isn't it.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

If you look out 7 days, you should see as warming trend. Not the next 4 days...7 days as in next week! Please, don't ruin "THE HOPE"!lol I just saw our extended forecast, and it is 72F for Sunday and 78F for Monday! Could it be? Could it continue? I know they are predicting a cool spring, but that is based on El Nino and the AO. If the AO shifts, then the El NIno from 97-98 might kick in, which was warm and wet? Hope? Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

If you look out 7 days, you should see as warming trend. Not the next 4 days...7 days as in next week! Please, don't ruin "THE HOPE"!lol

Yeah I beleive I recall the 7 day forecast on Janurary 2nd... There was supposed to be a warming trend then also( actually less than 7 days out), they just kept revising the temps down...down...down...as the forecast days kept getting closer. I beleive it was something like the 11th or 12th of January before we actually had lows above 40F...again just sayin! :lol:

I will beleive it when I actually FEEL it!!!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Well, there is a difference from January. The sun is stronger, the light is longer, and we know it has to end sometime!!!!!!!!! Soon? Greg

If the AO shifts, then the El NIno from 97-98 might kick in, which was warm and wet? Hope? Greg

Don't want to be a party-pooper, but.....

EN 97-98. Central FL killer tornado outbreak of Feb '98. No, we don't want a repeat of that. Tornado vs. cold. If I have to choose, I've had both, so I'd have to choose the cold.

But maybe there will be a bit of a warm-up coming soon. Don't want to jinx it, but it's long overdue.

St. Pete

(Upward) change is good

Fri: 40F

Sat: 42F

Sun: 45F

Mon: 48F

Yeah, yeah, yeah and more of the same.

Meg

Florida

Some indicators of the change is that far south Texas recorded a maximum of 83F\ 28.3C yesterday & Puerto Rico observed a record high of 92F\ 33.3C. Warmer air is moving north and Florida should have fairly nice temps next week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

We do not need an El Nino for a tornado outbreak...check 2003! However, I have noticed that the "rise" they predicted is a little lower...lower 70's rather than mid to upper 70's. It is a stunning, blue sky here but never got to 60F AGAIN! A stiff breeze off the 58F Gulf will not warm us up! It was 37F at daybreak. It has been a long time since we even had a day that was normal or average. I just checked, that at 2pm the WARMEST temp in Florida was 64F at Kendall. ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH! gREG

Amen to enough already. 61F at 2:30 and no amount of denim can cut that wind.

Sat: 42F

Sun: 43F

Mon: 49F

Meg

Florida

Here's a shocker - FREEZE WARNING FOR HERNANDO COUNTY! Again. Like, what is alive that can be frozen? Anyway, I know the longer range is showing normal temps but why cant they get here sooner? Greg

Yeah a virtual heat wave here...

My forecast lows for the next 4 days of March are 46F, 36F, 38F, 40F!

And that is before they probably REVISE them DOWN!!!

This winter SUCKS!!!just sayin

However, I have noticed that the "rise" they predicted is a little lower...lower 70's rather than mid to upper 70's. It is a stunning, blue sky here but never got to 60F AGAIN! A stiff breeze off the 58F Gulf will not warm us up! It was 37F at daybreak. It has been a long time since we even had a day that was normal or average. I just checked, that at 2pm the WARMEST temp in Florida was 64F at Kendall. ENOUGH ENOUGH ENOUGH! gREG

Hmmm... I beleive I might have mentioned this earlier... :mrlooney:

And by all means if it is 90F + in Puerto Rico it has got to be warm in central Florida, it's just gotta be.. maybe if the wind stays out of the southeast for 10+ days ,and another cold front with north/northwest doesn't come pushing through, Puerto Rico will warm us up!!! :lol:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

One of the problems I mentioned earlier is the Gulf temp. The discussion on NWS stated how the Gulf was slowing down the warming. We will notice, in the next week, much higher temps for Lakeland, Sebirng, etcc because of this. It was on its way up here, then around 1pm a stiff 10mph breeze kicked in and the day was done. Never went above 58F after that and fell to 55F at 5pm. It was warmer in Gainesville, Tallahassee and Valdosta than here!

NOW- LET US ALL PRAY - and I'm NOT religious....WARMTH WARMTH WARMTH lol Greg

One of the problems I mentioned earlier is the Gulf temp. The discussion on NWS stated how the Gulf was slowing down the warming. We will notice, in the next week, much higher temps for Lakeland, Sebirng, etcc because of this. It was on its way up here, then around 1pm a stiff 10mph breeze kicked in and the day was done. Never went above 58F after that and fell to 55F at 5pm. It was warmer in Gainesville, Tallahassee and Valdosta than here!

NOW- LET US ALL PRAY - and I'm NOT religious....WARMTH WARMTH WARMTH lol Greg

Ironic? The body of water that keeps us warm in most winters is cooling us down when we most need the warmth!

Keith 

Geez, this is getting old. Here in St. Pete we got down to forty last night. Yesterday morning I had to scrape the windshield AGAIN. I just want to cut my losses and move on. This is depressing. :(:angry:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

i remember last year when i lost my coconut palm :badday::crying: only it was because of poison not cold, my stupid uncle sprayed it with poison :rage: but its gonna get warmer this week and i think the next cold front is going to be minor, so thats good :)

Edited by floridasun

i remember last year when i lost my coconut palm :badday::crying: only it was because of poison not cold, my stupid uncle sprayed it with poison :rage: but its gonna get warmer this week and i think the next cold front is going to be minor, so thats good :)

Ouch...

This reminds me of something though. When Garrin in Hawaii sent me coconuts from his Hawaiian/Pacific tall coconut, he told me about how the tree grew so fast and put out so many seeds, there were sprouted coconuts everywhere that he didn't know what to do with them, he said he tried killing them with round up, but they just shrugged the poison off. I can't wait for these guys to sprout, I think that defiance to poison should mean they have more tolerance to getting leaves nipped at by frost. :yay:

Keith 

Another typical Bay Area March day - just not Tampa Bay! Its more like San Fran...was warming nicely this morning and hit 63F at 1130am...then the seabreeze kicked in and the temp went down the rest of the day. 59F at 2pm and 55F at 5pm..the stiff breeze made it feel cold! Meanwhile, Zephyrhills was hitting the upper 60's all afternoon (which I'll take at this point). I am doing the best I can with a toasted yard, but it is NOT nice out. Greg :drool:

At this point, does a pattern change really matter? Even if the same cold pattern continued, you couldn't kill the same palm twice right?! I say keep the cold coming. Maybe we can just skip summer and get on with the next devastating freeze...Wheeeee!!! After all, central Florida summer is only there so that we can prime our palms for old man winter's next furious rage.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Geez, this is getting old. Here in St. Pete we got down to forty last night. Yesterday morning I had to scrape the windshield AGAIN. I just want to cut my losses and move on. This is depressing. :(:angry:

I wasn't here this weekend, so thanks for the update. As I mentioned in the other cold discussion, we got home at quarter to 7 this morning - to find ice on the car in the driveway.

We figure it must've seen about 39f or so, didn't know.

It was just so hard coming home to all the ugliness everywhere.

St. Pete

I sure will be glad when that predicted warm-up comes... :hmm:

Last night the forecast here was for a low of 44F...guess what my low was 37.4F

Lows the last 4 nights, March in Florida, ain't it grand! Forecast for tonight a balmy 43F, maybe Puerto Rico is kicking in!!! :lol:

3/4- 39.2F

3/5- 36.6F

3/6- 39.6F

3/7- 37.4F

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

There is a Jamaican Tall coconut not far from me that's 40-50 feet tall and was planted in 1990. I'll attest to their cold hardiness. The trunk is hardy but alas the foliage is just as tender.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

There is a Jamaican Tall coconut not far from me that's 40-50 feet tall and was planted in 1990. I'll attest to their cold hardiness. The trunk is hardy but alas the foliage is just as tender.
kinda like the magesty palm, its leaves are like common grass but the trunk is hardy. most magestys i see so far are brown but its pushing out that new green fast.

That GOM is keeping us "cool" and the seabreeze effect is hurting the warmup. It also contributed to the surprising cold weekend mornings. The seabreeze knocked the temps down late afternoon, so whe it died later on, the clear skies allowed rapid cooling. But,the long range does not show anything "cold", perhaps a few not so warm days, but compared to Feb I'll take it! Greg