IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December Thread

Neofolis

No changes on the long range forecast, a very slight drop in temperatures but generally continuing to be unseasonally mild.

This morning at 06:34 it is 13°C/55°F, which is a few degrees warmer than forecast.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Were off to a great start for the month here with a temp of 71.1F at 615AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The entire mid-section of the country, from TX up to Michigan, is getting blasted by the worst winter weather they've had in a while.  Blizzards, cancelled flights, cancelled Christmas parades, slick roads, power outages and some places declared disasters.

What a mess!  

And isn't it awfully early for this sort of thing?

They say it will remain to our north, so hoping we won't see any serious temperature drops as the storm moves eastward.  Let's hope.

JB, I hope the storm lifts out N/E-ward before it reaches you in VA.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(JBa3Fan @ Dec. 01 2006,07:11)

70 in central Virginia heading out to work in shorts and teeshirt again

I suspect quite a few record maximum lows were reached last night, in many cases perhaps by substantial margins, in the East from the looks of things at this hour.

Larry 

It now feels like December in California. It’s cold here in Vista this morning, it was 40 last night but it has warmed up to 42 this morning. Make sure your palms are dressed for the weather. :D

Plant a palm....

(Palmhut1 @ Dec. 01 2006,09:28)

Make sure your palms are dressed for the weather. :D

And what will the fashion-conscious palm be sporting this winter? :D

A few years back, I "protected" my foxtail by dressing it up in an old frumpy nightgown - the only thing left after using all my tarps n' blankies on the spindle.  It looked ridiculous... and didn't do a bit of good either :P  Was a nasty morning - 27F - with 3 fried fronds on the spindle - but the ravs and roebs didn't care at all.

I never got around to making the palm socks.  So if we get hammered, I'll have to rely on Christmas lights - I think the big-bulb types, which I don't like, are better for warmth than the small twinkly ones.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 01 2006,09:43)

So if we get hammered, I'll have to rely on Christmas lights - I think the big-bulb types, which I don't like, are better for warmth than the small twinkly ones.

Absolutely!

The big C-9 lights are right around 175W for a typical string of 25 lights, while the usual 100 light strand of minilights is around 40W.

Lights will provide the heat, but containment is really the key in keeping the palms warm, epsecially if there are winds.

Larry 

(Palmhut1 @ Dec. 01 2006,09:28)

Make sure your palms are dressed for the weather. :D

Leave it California..never mind "people fashion".....they even get to set our palm fashion!

Larry 

If I had any say in setting palm fashions this year, Id vote for completely nude palms!

If thats the case, then it was a warm winter :D

Larry 

Sure - its easy living in warm climates.   Imagine if you had to wake to this this morning, clear a space for your dog to take a leak, clean off your car and do all the other things that go along with 6-8" of snow.    Plus, I had to water my indoor palm trees before work.   We got whacked pretty hard this week.   Tuesday it was 68F, wednesday we had freezing rain and sleet, and Thursday we had 6" of snow.   Talk about fun.   Lets see if I can get a few pictures to post;

this picture taken Friday morning 12/1/2006

snowstormDec2006004.jpg

this picture taken Thursday night 11/30/2006.  It my not look like it but it is snow falling.

snowstormDec2006002.jpg

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

It's 68f here right now, going up to 74f today.... I was in NYC last night visiting the Christmas tree, and people were walking around in shorts and t-shirts... It was 73f at 9:00pm in the City.... The wierdest thing I've ever seen....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Yeah...some really odd temps yesterday.

I suspect at 73F at 9PM in NY a record was set as I think the highest temp ever logged at the JFK AP in the month of December is lower than that!

Larry 

Heres the remnants of the nasty front from yesterday trying to make its way here.

Off with you!  

I believe the southerly winds with shove this junk off to sea without it impacting us much.

nextfront.jpg

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 01 2006,08:20)

JB, I hope the storm lifts out N/E-ward before it reaches you in VA.

Just some sprinkles for us here and a bunch of wind nothing like up in the mountains    Monday night forcast for 28 f.  That will be my coldest this year.  My hands are still smoth with no spliting as of yet.  Usualy by now I am having trouble with the buttins on my flanal shirts .......

will try to do the things that they say can't be done

I think we had our first light freeze last night.  Haven't seen the official low, but I think it was 30F.  No big deal.  It warmed up nicely today, and is sunny and back into the 60s now.  A few degrees below normal, but very nice.  North Texas got some ice and snow last night.  (not here, we're too far south for that).

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 01 2006,08:20)

The entire mid-section of the country, from TX up to Michigan, is getting blasted by the worst winter weather they've had in a while.  

Well, that was exreme north texas and the panhandle.  I didn't get anything but a light frost.  Back to sunny and mild weather today (60s).  The panhandle always gets winter weather, but that's not the norm for the rest of TX.

We had a pretty cold night last night, I didnt protect any of the palms, and well I guess ma nature decided to test my mettle.  

35 degrees with a 40mph wind gusting to 50mph

According to the 7 day cast we should stay out of the 30's for at least 7 more days!  yeah...

this cold front was really playing for keeps!  luckily someone threw a bay of water between it and my palms.  

I also have to admit that this front was only the second or third time ive seen the ocean actually steaming for more than a few minutes from a cold front, it seemed to steam for hours!!!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

(galveston1602 @ Dec. 01 2006,16:08)

We had a pretty cold night last night, I didnt protect any of the palms, and well I guess ma nature decided to test my mettle.  

35 degrees with a 40mph wind gusting to 50mph

According to the 7 day cast we should stay out of the 30's for at least 7 more days!  yeah...

this cold front was really playing for keeps!  luckily someone threw a bay of water between it and my palms.  

I also have to admit that this front was only the second or third time ive seen the ocean actually steaming for more than a few minutes from a cold front, it seemed to steam for hours!!!

Pretty wierd that I only got 5 degrees colder than Galveston.   This front moved so fast it meant business even at the coast.  At about 4 to 5 am yesterday morning we almost instantly dropped from 73F to 40F or so, maybe less, with wind chills in the 20s.

Enjoy the discussion of temperature variation along the Texas coastline.   :P   Does Galveston bay raise the colder readings of Houston?  How has deep Texas fared in all this arctic stuff   ???

The cold existed east today   :D

LA : 77/50  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Dec. 01 2006,20:42)

Enjoy the discussion of temperature variation along the Texas coastline.   :P   Does Galveston bay raise the colder readings of Houston?  How has deep Texas fared in all this arctic stuff   ???

The cold existed east today   :D

LA : 77/50  

Deep South Texas was unaffected.  The low according to NWS was 40F in the valley.  Pretty cold, but no problems for palms.

Keep in mind the distance from North to South Texas is HUGE.  The panhandle is the same latitude as Nashville, TN, while the valley is the same latitude as Miami, FL.  People wouldn't see a snow storm hitting Nashville and equate it to Miami, but I have to educate people that because a snowstorm hit the panhandle or North TX, is no need for worry for South Texas usually.  I see generalizations that "Texas got hit by a snowstorm",  Well, in fact North Texas did, 600-700 miles north of the valley.  Education topic for most people,  Tejas is over 800 miles from N to S, The panhandle gets brutal cold and snow, but remember that is the same distance from Nashville, TN to Miami as it is the the RGV.

(syersj @ Dec. 01 2006,20:03)

Pretty wierd that I only got 5 degrees colder than Galveston.  

50 mph wind gusts will do that!

With the drop off of winds, the differential will likely grow substantially over the next few nights.

Larry 

How has deep Texas fared in all this arctic stuff   ???

NWS shows a low of 40F for Brownsville, 37F for McAllen, and 35F for Harlingen.

Larry 

Does Galveston bay raise the colder readings of Houston?  

Id say this map as of midnight Eastern tonight explains it :D

texas.jpg

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 01 2006,23:55)

I wonder what south padre's was

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 02 2006,00:01)

Does Galveston bay raise the colder readings of Houston?  

Id say this map as of midnight Eastern tonight explains it :D

texas.jpg

Where did you get that map Larry,  that's a pretty neat map.  It looks like Galveston is anywhere from 5-10 degrees warmer than Houston.

(syersj @ Dec. 02 2006,00:04)

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 01 2006,23:55)

I wonder what south padre's was

I cant find a station actually on South Padre island, but there is one at Port Isabel that logged 39F.

Larry 

(syersj @ Dec. 02 2006,00:06)

Where did you get that map Larry,  that's a pretty neat map.  It looks like Galveston is anywhere from 5-10 degrees warmer than Houston.

I am a member of weatherunderground.com (as my station sends its data there) and as such I check many member sites frequently.

As easy way to do this is via the "Personal Weather Stations Google Map" link shown on the main page for any location.

For instance, if you go to www.weatherunderground.com and then type in zipcode 34689 in the box at the top of the page, youll get my station.  A "Current Conditions" page will then come up with the station summary info in a boxed in area.  At the bottom of this area, youll see a link that says "Google Map of Personal Weather Stations NEW!"  If you click this, youll get a map showing where each station in the area is and what the reading is currently.  Once in this map, one can zoom in, out, pan around, etc.  I like this feature.

Larry 

(oppalm @ Dec. 01 2006,10:12)

Sure - its easy living in warm climates.   Imagine if you had to wake to this this morning, clear a space for your dog to take a leak, clean off your car and do all the other things that go along with 6-8" of snow.    Plus, I had to water my indoor palm trees before work.   We got whacked pretty hard this week.   Tuesday it was 68F, wednesday we had freezing rain and sleet, and Thursday we had 6" of snow.   Talk about fun.   Lets see if I can get a few pictures to post;

this picture taken Friday morning 12/1/2006

snowstormDec2006004.jpg

this picture taken Thursday night 11/30/2006.  It my not look like it but it is snow falling.

snowstormDec2006002.jpg

Great Photos :D

(Dave Butler @ Dec. 02 2006,07:09)

Great Photos :D

Sure are!

Now lets just keep them as photos, and therefore a theoretical concept, and not something seen firsthand :D

Larry 

In the words of Adrian Cronauer, I reckon this Christmas will hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

35 sucks.  I have had enough cold for the rest of my life!  That's the coldest its been here since 12/25/04 (32).  I shouldn't be complaining yet, though; only a few spots on a few leaves of the traveler's palm, and D. lutescens untouched, etc.  

As long as we don't get bashed before 12/8 I'll have plenty of time to set up serious long-term cold protection.  

Its that time of year again to start dreaming about real estate in Hawaii!

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Today turned warm but overnight temps were cold in some places.  Here's the diversity of metro LA today :

NWS-LA 12-2-06

LOS ANGELES COUNTY COAST...VALLEYS

AVALON :  77 /  44

GETTY CENTER :   74 /  61    

LAX  :   77 /  45

DOWNTOWN/USC  :   81 /  47

MALIBU :   77 /  58

SANTA MONICA PIER  :   69 /  56

UCLA :   78 /  56

BURBANK :   77 /  43

CHATSWORTH :  74 /  59

NORTHRIDGE  :  76 /  57

PASADENA : 77 /  47

Toward the end of this week the flow will reverse. Marine air will raise mimimums/lower maximums.  Either way it is safe for tender palms.   :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

29F for my official low at the airport yesterday morning.  This was a pretty nasty cold front when you add the 40mph winds to the low temps when the cold front went through.  No big deal for cold hardy palms though.

(Wal @ Dec. 02 2006,17:20)

In the words of Adrian Cronauer, I reckon this Christmas will hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.

To right wal , hotter'n'hell and dry as a wooden god .

Barely a drop all last month , loked like something might happen soon , but will not hold my breath.

Better start putting in another tap .

Having a Mexican Xmas , turkey and Tequila

mole poblana and the whole enchilada ..

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

29F for my official low at the airport yesterday morning.  This was a pretty nasty cold front when you add the 40mph winds to the low temps when the cold front went through.  No big deal for cold hardy palms though.

Hey Jim....

we finally got "blessed" with that nasty cold front and it sent the temps plummeting. Bottomed out at 30f in my yard overnight and only getting to around 50f for a high - I think it's here to stay for awhile unfortunately.. People are freaking out how cold it got, but what they don't realize is that these temps are actually normal for our area at this time of year. Funny how everything fares by comparison. If it had been in the 20's everyone would think it got warm.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Dec. 03 2006,10:34)

Hey Jim....

we finally got "blessed" with that nasty cold front and it sent the temps plummeting. Bottomed out at 30f in my yard overnight and only getting to around 50f for a high - I think it's here to stay for awhile unfortunately.. People are freaking out how cold it got, but what they don't realize is that these temps are actually normal for our area at this time of year. Funny how everything fares by comparison. If it had been in the 20's everyone would think it got warm.

Yeah, you talk about a shock to the system.  The week prior it had been in the 80s.  The body can't take shocks like that. Now we're in the low 60s for highs and it feels cold after 80s.  Anything below 70F is cold to me.  By the way, how are your outdoor palms doing.  Are the heating systems doing the trick.  Of course you probably haven't had any extreme cold yet.

freezing nights these pas few. Temps have been around 30-35 for the last 2 nights and around 25 one night. It looks like temps will be more around 34-40, still a tad chilly but a lot better. Have had better starts to December than this one.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science