IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Walnut Creek, California, The Dick Douglas Garden

freakypalmguy

Alberto,

I'm surprised that your Butia X Jubaea X(Butia) have shown so much variation, one green, one silver and another smaller one more Jubaea like. I think I have one palm from the same seed lot, and mine has grown very slowly and is more green than silver and looks more like a Butia. Your silver/blue one is absolutely outstanding. What a beauty.

In another thread you show the Butia X Parajubaea that you transplanted. It looks like it was never moved. It is even holding on to its older lower fronds. I'm glad you moved it and now it has plenty of room to grow. Your palms should grow much faster than mine, as you have wonderful soil and a better climate, and rain throughout the year.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

WOW!!!!!

Thank you Spiderman aka (Freakypalmguy)!!! Fantastic pics and tour of a mature beautifull garden! Goes to show you patience is a virtue! I am floored looking at the beautifull specimen palms in your garden Dick!! I was saying to myself "Oh my God" while scrolling through the pics that Mad Matt posted, thanks again spidey!!! :D

My friends and family visit my place every once in a blue moon and they allways wonder where i got the money to purchace such large palms. I am constantly telling them that i planted them in 2000-2001 and they have grown very quickly over the last ten years.

But i will never have the massive specimen Jubaeas that you have Dick! Thank you for having the foresight to plant those guys when you did so we can enjoy the true beauty of those monsters today!

Also, i am happy to see the parent BXJ because i have many offspring from it thanks to Patrick!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Alberto,

I'm surprised that your Butia X Jubaea X(Butia) have shown so much variation, one green, one silver and another smaller one more Jubaea like. I think I have one palm from the same seed lot, and mine has grown very slowly and is more green than silver and looks more like a Butia. Your silver/blue one is absolutely outstanding. What a beauty.

In another thread you show the Butia X Parajubaea that you transplanted. It looks like it was never moved. It is even holding on to its older lower fronds. I'm glad you moved it and now it has plenty of room to grow. Your palms should grow much faster than mine, as you have wonderful soil and a better climate, and rain throughout the year.

Dick

Thanks!!

I also was surprised about the variability of the (BxJ)xB but being open pollenated, the ´´pollen donnor´´ can be every cocosoid you have growing there (B.yatay, B.capitata,B.paraguayensis,Jubaea....) I also like the silver one very much!

Normally after transplanting I cut off halve to 2/3 of the leaves,but the rootball was so big that I tried not to remove any and the BxP is just fine and growing!!!:)

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Man, this is the jurassic garden...really massive, huge palms, must be a truly awe-inspiring sight. One of the most impressive properties I've ever seen and a solid proof that you can achieve spectacular gardening results with temperate palms. Congrats!

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

• 4 weeks later...

I pay my tribute to this amazing garden, mainly to the wonder Jubaea! This time with no translation mistake (before, that was just a typing error) :floor:

Great garden, and thankyou for the information that accompanied the set of photos.

A lot of people are very envious seeing the shear size and mature palms you have, I know I am...

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Broome Western Australia

Where the desert meets the sea

Tropical Monsoon

As I've said before, the down side of having a mature palm garden is that I'm older than all the damn palms! My one regret is that I probably won't live long enough to see some of Patrick Schafer's hybrids grow to maturity. I have 3 which should go in the ground soon, but I can't make up my mind where to plant them.

It's almost like I have 2 gardens, a winter garden and a summer garden. Once it cools off in Walnut Creek about mid Nov, it stays cool until April and there is very little growth. Matt took the photographs in mid Feb, and you may notice all the Oaks are bare of foliage. They are now full of beautiful light green foliage and it makes the place look entirely different from the cool months.

With a lot of help, I've gotten the front cleaned up from weeds and grasses, to trimming all the lower fronds on the palms. I also had a bunch of roses removed to give a better view of the palms. Now we are working on the back part of the garden and I hope to have it cleaned up by the end of April. Garden work never ends here.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

As I've said before, the down side of having a mature palm garden is that I'm older than all the damn palms! My one regret is that I probably won't live long enough to see some of Patrick Schafer's hybrids grow to maturity. I have 3 which should go in the ground soon, but I can't make up my mind where to plant them.

It's almost like I have 2 gardens, a winter garden and a summer garden. Once it cools off in Walnut Creek about mid Nov, it stays cool until April and there is very little growth. Matt took the photographs in mid Feb, and you may notice all the Oaks are bare of foliage. They are now full of beautiful light green foliage and it makes the place look entirely different from the cool months.

With a lot of help, I've gotten the front cleaned up from weeds and grasses, to trimming all the lower fronds on the palms. I also had a bunch of roses removed to give a better view of the palms. Now we are working on the back part of the garden and I hope to have it cleaned up by the end of April. Garden work never ends here.

Dick

Dick, there is no downside. What you have is precious and many of us wont, ever, raise that level! And besides that, you will testify a lot of growth, for many years! :)

Would you be able to upload some photos showing those Schafer's hybrids, and the new spring look of your paradise? :drool:

Best regards from Portugal!

Edited by rafael

post-1261-1208739184.gif Dick - in Genera Palmarum 1987 on page 186, Uhl & Dransfield mention a cultivar of Chamaerops humilis growing in your garden with unique leaf features. "... bears leaves with the blade divided between as well as along the folds."

Dick do you have a picture of this distinctive palm? greenthumb.gif

Dick - You have definitely have created an outstanding tropical ambience in your garden found in a temperate region. cool.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

post-1261-1208739184.gif Dick - in Genera Palmarum 1987 on page 186, Uhl & Dransfield mention a cultivar of Chamaerops humilis growing in your garden with unique leaf features. "... bears leaves with the blade divided between as well as along the folds."

Dick - You have definitely have created an outstanding tropical ambience in your garden found in a temperate region. cool.gif

Ron,

I'll try to get some photos of the palm mentioned in the future. The fronds have many more blades than a "normal" Chamaerops, so many that some overlap each other. The blades are narrow and split down the middle about 3/4 the length of the frond toward the apex. The fronds are not stiff, but droop and this gives the palm a very graceful appearance.

The palm is a female and I have a male Chamaerops cerifera with the same characteristics. I crossed them a couple of years ago and gave the seeds to Patrick Schafer. He says it's a little early to tell, but some of the seedlings appear to be green and others silver like C cerifera. We are hoping the progeny will have the droopy apperance of the parents, and if some are silver, that will be an added bonus.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Dick- What is the worst cold spell your garden has gone through? Looks like your fascinated by the hardy hybrids by reading your posts. I wish I could get my hands on some of the more rare ones. I have some, but they just look like Butia for the most part at this stage. What hybrids do you think would do well in SE Texas, about 5 degrees colder than Houston? I would prefer the green color and thinner trunk. This past summer we had one of the longest and driest hot spells, and I have a few potted Para Microcarpa that did live despite lows never below mid 70s, and highs of mid 90s+ for several weeks/months.

Best Regards,

Ryan Fuller

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Ryan,

The lowest temp. I've ever experienced was in the great '89 freeze where it got down to 14 F and many other nights in the teens. Most winters I can expect a low of around 25F, give or take a couple of degrees. All of my mules were damaged in the big freeze, but they recovered with no lasting damage. My Butia X Jubaea was undamaged in the deep freeze. None of the newer cocoid hybrids were available then. I suggest you check out the Cold Damage Data in Palm Talk and you can get some varied information from different locations.

One new hybrid that has been cold and climate tested is Butia X Parajubaea cocoides. They have survived the mid teens and they grow in central Texas, Houston, Orlando and in my own garden. Some of the newer hybrids that might grow in your area are Jubaea X Syagrus, Bujubaea X Syagrus, and of course, Butia X Jubaea which should be the most cold hardy of any of the hybrids.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Dick - You have definitely have created an outstanding tropical ambience in your garden found in a temperate region.

Ron,

I'll try to get some photos of the palm mentioned in the future. The fronds have many more blades than a "normal" Chamaerops, so many that some overlap each other. The blades are narrow and split down the middle about 3/4 the length of the frond toward the apex. The fronds are not stiff, but droop and this gives the palm a very graceful appearance.

The palm is a female and I have a male Chamaerops cerifera with the same characteristics. I crossed them a couple of years ago and gave the seeds to Patrick Schafer. He says it's a little early to tell, but some of the seedlings appear to be green and others silver like C cerifera. We are hoping the progeny will have the droopy apperance of the parents, and if some are silver, that will be an added bonus.

Dick

Greetings Dick,

I was a bit apprehensive inquiring about your Chamaerops humilis variation. I did not recognize it in any of Matt's photos and the reference by Dransfield to the palm was pre 1989 winter. My fear was that it was no longer with us.

It will be interesting what progeny will develope with the seeds you gave Patrick Shafer. If this cross inherited the best characteristics of both variants, it should be a stunner. Interesting if such a palm would evolve, what would this variant be called? var. Douglasfera, var. Douglasii, var. Douglasiana or var. "Silver Dick" (my favorite)? laugh.gif

Looking forward to seeing pictures of this unique variant. Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Ron.

post-1729-12703877423456_thumb.jpg

Ron,

I doubt if "Silver Dick" would go over very well with the botanical community. rolleyes.gif As best I can recall, none of my Chamaerops were damaged in the big freeze of '89. We have noticed that C. var cerifera look more silver in Calif. than on the east coast, the reason being the silver wax on the fronds is washed off by the year round rains that occur on the east coast. We get no rain in the summer when the palms do most of their growing so they color up nicely by the end of summer. They seem to thrive in our blistering, dry summer heat.

Chamaerops is one of the most variable species I know of with noticeable physiological differences. I have 7 or 8 varieties.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Well - it can be "Silver Richard" but it would take up more space on the tags at palm sales. You remind me of Charlie Rich the old gentle Country and Western singer. He was known as the silver fox.

Dick, the people you know or have known in the palm world were some of the movers and shakers back in the day. I would really like to meet with you and pick your brain and hear your stories the next time you are in South Florida! happy.gif

Kindest regards,

Ron. wink.gif

Well - it can be "Silver Richard" but it would take up more space on the tags at palm sales. You remind me of Charlie Rich the old gentle Country and Western singer. He was known as the silver fox.

Dick, the people you know or have known in the palm world were some of the movers and shakers back in the day. I would really like to meet with you and pick your brain and hear your stories the next time you are in South Florida! happy.gif

Kindest regards,

Ron. wink.gif

Ron,

Hardly anyone goes to the Memorial section, but you should read the ones on Teddy Buehler and Paul Drummond. Their obits speaks volumes about some of the movers and shakers that helped found the Palm Society. Unfortunately Lucita Wait passed away before we had Palm Talk, but she was also a very important figure in the early days of the Palm Society. She was the executive secretary of the PS for many years and also ran the first PS seed bank. Lucita practically ran the Palm Society for many years and was often refereed to as the "Queen Mother of the PS." In the old days everyone knew who Lucita was as she was also the "seed bank lady."

The seed bank became to much of a chore, so the executive secretary position was taken over by Teddy Buehler who also did a fantastic job for many years. Without these two ladies there probably wouldn't be a Palm Society, as they really were the "movers and shakers."

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Dick - I was fortunate to have met both Teddy Buehler and Paul Drummond at many South Florida Palm Society functions. I first became involved in 1993. The memorial sections have been read and Lenny Goldstein, with whom I serve on the board with, has many of story about both.

I am also aware of the many contributions that Lucita Wait made to IPS. I have two of her namesake palms in my yard, Ptychosperma waitianum. One of my passions is to seek out older botanical books. I had the opportunity to preview the Library of John Deere's at Viscaya. I found a book (the title escapes me)with Lucita Wait's photo in her early years.

Unfortunately as time passes, we have lost many treasures in the plant societies. What is of concern to me is that we do not find people with the same dedication stepping up. There is not as many young people getting involved as I would like! sad.gif

By the way, have you had an opportunity to get a photo of your distictive Chamaerops humilis?

Kindest regards,

Ron.

• 2 weeks later...

Dick - Have you had an opportunity to get a photo of your distictive Chamaerops humilis? unsure.gif

Kindest regards,

Ron.

How did I miss seeing this thread before ?? I dips me lid to Dick. What a dream of a palm garden, exactly like I always hoped to have one day if I hadnt have started so late. Thanks Freakypalmguy for giving us such a wonderful treat. Who says you need to live in the subtropics ?? (even if I do)

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

What a superb garden, being able to see this garden is one of the great things about the interenet

Sol Cooper

Hobart Tasmania

42 degrees South

Mild climate - mostly frost free

Dick - Have you had an opportunity to get a photo of your distictive Chamaerops humilis? unsure.gif

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Ron,

I'm not photo savy on Palm Talk, but as soon as someone comes by with a camera, I'll see if we can't get the photos posted.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 1 month later...

Wahouwwww !! :drool:

Wonderfull garden Dick, congratulations !(and fabulous pictures Matt :winkie: )

I have young hybrids from Patrick (BxS,BxPC,JxS) May be most of them come from your garden ? (this would be an honor !)

I'm very happy to discovered this thread, I'm just late ! :rolleyes:

I have one question : One this thread, we saw few pictures of butia x jubaea , all with twisting fronds. It is a caracteristic form of butia x jubaea ? or it is possible to see this form on butia ?

Thanks.

Christophe.

What a superb garden, being able to see this garden is one of the great things about the interenet

For those who are interested in seeing Dick's garden in person, take note that the Northern Ca. Palm Society is meeting there on Oct. 3rd, starting at 10 am. A catered lunch will be served in the garden at 12pm for a $25 dollar fee payable through paypal at the following email address:

carolinevanhowe@comcast.net

For those interested in just attending the meeting (not participating in the meal), please feel free to arrive by 1pm. Please click on the following link for details:

http://www.palmsnc.org/pages/events.php

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Christophe, I've see that twist in many butias so I think the twist in the hybrids comes from that parent. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Christophe, I've see that twist in many butias so I think the twist in the hybrids comes from that parent. Jv

Hi Jv,

I saw that twist on young butias but never on hold one.

• 2 weeks later...

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Ron,

I'm not photo savy on Palm Talk, but as soon as someone comes by with a camera, I'll see if we can't get the photos posted.

Dick

????? blink.gif

• 6 years later...

I was going through some old threads, remembering Dick and came across this one.  On my last visit to Dick's place in 2010, Dick made a point of pointing out this Chamaerops in front of his house.  I believe this may be the palm you were inquiring about Moose.  582b0f582399d_DSC_5656(Custom).thumb.JPG

DSC_5665 (Custom).JPG

DSC_5658 (Custom).JPG

DSC_5662 (Custom).JPG

• Upvote 2

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

• 1 year later...

I hope Dick's collection is still around. He pushed the limits in his day of seeing how cold hardy some palms were.

• Upvote 1

The current owner of Dick's property is not amenable to any further visits by Palm Society members.  :crying: 

San Francisco, California