IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

February Freeze?

gsytch

The long range for Feb is below normal in the eastern 2/3 except for the far upper midwest/rockies where above normal is expected. Precip is to be above normal. Here in Tampa Bay it is CHILLY yet again, today. In the 50's, overcast (el nino overcast) and breezy, so it is COLD~ The rains of the past week have largely missed me, thankfully, and about an inch fell total while some areas to my north got 3"+. In freeze recovery, heavy rains are not a good idea. While no arctic banger is to be expected, consistenly chilly air is. I hope some warm air gets by in between. I've been here well over 20 years and I have never seen back to back winters like these! Freeze damage is everywhere - including down in Pinellas where I was today. Clearwater looks just as blitzed. I am seriously considering looking farther south in the peninsula as I hate winter. Some areas around Naples/Charlotte squeeze some warmer days in before fronts. North Florida has been a disaster with teens and low 20's very frequent. If this isn't one of the coldest January's on record - they lie! Greg in New Port Richey (stuck inside yet again on the weekend instead of playing in the dirt) :rage:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

The long range for Feb is below normal in the eastern 2/3 except for the far upper midwest/rockies where above normal is expected. Precip is to be above normal. Here in Tampa Bay it is CHILLY yet again, today. In the 50's, overcast (el nino overcast) and breezy, so it is COLD~ The rains of the past week have largely missed me, thankfully, and about an inch fell total while some areas to my north got 3"+. In freeze recovery, heavy rains are not a good idea. While no arctic banger is to be expected, consistenly chilly air is. I hope some warm air gets by in between. I've been here well over 20 years and I have never seen back to back winters like these! Freeze damage is everywhere - including down in Pinellas where I was today. Clearwater looks just as blitzed. I am seriously considering looking farther south in the peninsula as I hate winter. Some areas around Naples/Charlotte squeeze some warmer days in before fronts. North Florida has been a disaster with teens and low 20's very frequent. If this isn't one of the coldest January's on record - they lie! Greg in New Port Richey (stuck inside yet again on the weekend instead of playing in the dirt) rage.gif

The forecast here was for 32 last night. Luckily, we only dipped to 34. It is still predicted to be cool for the next 10 days staying with highs in the mid 60s, a low tonight of 36 and then staying in the mid 40s. We are only a couple of weeks away from our average last frost date. Yeehaw.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It isn't just the Southeast. Here's today's long-range [8-14 day] from NWS [it's basically a flip of the coin that far out but hopefully it will be warmer than this]

temp_new.gif

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

And the cold continues! After a brief warmup (thurs and fri about normal afternoons) this weekend is chilly, again. 50's all day, gloomy, cloudy, windy, raw. Upper 30's next two nights, again. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of the cold! Greg :(

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

And the cold continues! After a brief warmup (thurs and fri about normal afternoons) this weekend is chilly, again. 50's all day, gloomy, cloudy, windy, raw. Upper 30's next two nights, again. I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of the cold! Greg :(

You really don't know what cold is, I'm afraid. North Dakota is cold. Florida is not.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

You really don't know what cold is, I'm afraid. North Dakota is cold. Florida is not.

Well, since I was raised in Montana I do know what cold is. But, when compared to Amazonas, Florida is cold. It is all about where you compare things to. Now there is really no where that is consistantly hotter than here. There are places that get hotter, but they do not stay hotter all year round.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Winter is most definitely still in control! :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well, since I was raised in Montana I do know what cold is. But, when compared to Amazonas, Florida is cold. It is all about where you compare things to. Now there is really no where that is consistantly hotter than here. There are places that get hotter, but they do not stay hotter all year round.

dk

Being raised in MT, you do know what cold really is.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

dk

ahhhhh..... when you look at it that way, Even I'm in a tropical climate compared to montana..lol :)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

After a milder period a new frost period started today and already frosty and can see only frost in the next 7 days during the night and only a few degrees above zero during the days.

I'm sick of this winter now, last winter was horrible but this one is even more horrible. Cordylines and several other "milder" plants looks heavy damaged or dead. There was one day some weeks ago during the frost period with a temperature below zero and wind was blowing very strong. The result for that looks some burned leafes on the Butia eriospatha and even the Trachycarpus species looks like have some leafburn. Cycas revoluta toasted, just like my Agave's.

I have two protected palms Phoenix canariensis and Washingtonia robusta, and specially the last one heavy leaf damage again. Looks like almost the whole garden is freezing away in only 2 winters.

Robbin

Southwest

Looks like a chilly week with multiple frost nights here, as well. Might even dip slightly below freezing tomorrow night.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well, thought I'd inform you all of our Kona temperatures this week. As you can see below our early morning lows have been dropping down as low as 67`F (19.4`C), however, it doesn't stay at that temperature very long because as soon as the sun comes out it climbs rather quickly. Actually I'd say these are pretty ideal temperatures to have in mid-winter, regardless. Starting today, here is our 5-day temperature forcast:

...................F...........C

08 Feb....82--69....27.7--20.5

09 Feb....82--68....27.7--20

10 Feb....82--67....27.7--19.4

11 Feb....81--67....27.2--19.4

12 Feb....81--67....27.2--19.4

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Well, thought I'd inform you all of our Kona temperatures this week. As you can see below our early morning lows have been dropping down as low as 67`F (19.4`C), however, it doesn't stay at that temperature very long because as soon as the sun comes out it climbs rather quickly. Actually I'd say these are pretty ideal temperatures to have in mid-winter, regardless. Starting today, here is our 5-day temperature forcast:

Those are nice looking temps, Al. Send a few digits our way.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I actually - dared - looked ahead 2 weeks. There is nothing thru the 22nd here in Tampa Bay showing a high of 70F any day at all, which normal is suppose to start rising in Feb. In fact, there is not a high over 65F mentioned, with many nights 38-42F. Our houses are really not built for this kind of consistent cold. Our poor plants appear stunned! The mid Atlantic is due ANOTHER blizzard by Wed. My mom lives near ACity, and they are only 4" away from their all-time snowfall record. This new noreaster will send another 3-4 days of cold air flowing down into Florida. This is soooooooooooooo depressing! I do not care what Montana is. I DO NOT nor NEVER WILL live there! Kona sounds nice, though...lol..Greg :drool:

dk

ahhhhh..... when you look at it that way, Even I'm in a tropical climate compared to montana..lol :)

And Ohio is subtropical . . . . :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm going to scream / . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I actually - dared - looked ahead 2 weeks. There is nothing thru the 22nd here in Tampa Bay showing a high of 70F any day at all, which normal is suppose to start rising in Feb. In fact, http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/drool.gifthere is not a high over 65F mentioned, with many nights 38-42F.

Yeah, the protracted cool goes on and on, wondering when it's going to end grr. And let's keep an eye on the Wednesday night forecast, it could be a bad night for tropicals...

But it really is sad to see expanses of dead seagrapes. Even natives had a bad time with the heavy frost last month.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

What kinda PALMS and TROPICALS do they grow in North Dakota? :lol:

It is a given that North Dakota is going to be COLD in the winter...

Florida is NOT supposed to be COLD in the winter, just ask all those SNOWBIRDS who flock here from Canada every winter... :mrlooney:

However the forecast for the next 5 days is COLD at least by FLORIDA standards,and Janurary 2nd though the 11th was definately COLD!just sayin

We will be flirting with yet another FREEZE Wednesday night/Thursday morning!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I want to begin a new thread of palms that can really take some of this cold PLUS be available! I mean, even after this brutal winter, they were shipping in MORE Adonidias, Foxtails and Bottles into the big box stores. I saw HD with about 30 BIG palms hidden in their back area frozen/burnt/destroyed, yet they had more on pallets. We all know the common ones, but we need some sabals available with SOME size. They had a hard frost at school in Hudson on Mon AM while my car/yard was just wet. Brooksville is suppose to hit 29F on Thurs AM. my forecast is 36F depending on the wind. A sunny, NORMAL day in the 70's would be nice sometime soon lol... :rage:

:crying: .....My report from the cold north..... :crying:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I want to begin a new thread of palms that can really take some of this cold PLUS be available! I mean, even after this brutal winter, they were shipping in MORE Adonidias, Foxtails and Bottles into the big box stores. I saw HD with about 30 BIG palms hidden in their back area frozen/burnt/destroyed, yet they had more on pallets. We all know the common ones, but we need some sabals available with SOME size. They had a hard frost at school in Hudson on Mon AM while my car/yard was just wet. Brooksville is suppose to hit 29F on Thurs AM. my forecast is 36F depending on the wind. A sunny, NORMAL day in the 70's would be nice sometime soon lol... :rage:

Hey, that's a great idea - lets do that...

I'll report from Long Island that, so far, my Trachy is coming through with flying colors - only minimal protection and no external heat whatsoever... I'll post pics soon - this thing is TOUGH - But, although it's been cold as hell here, we haven't had any temps below 15 yet, and the average low has been hovering in the mid to upper 20's

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

It got colder than expected. Temps were expected to be mid-30's near the coast but but has dropped below freezing. Nothing protected. My little greenhouse housing seedling Borassus from Kris, and seedling Bizzy's, a seedling Corpha may have been exposed to freezing temps :( ....I hope that it remained above freezing in there (not sure). We will see. Got stuff on the back porch that should have been moved in, oh well. Alot of my stuff is starting to show damage in the yard, including one large P. sylvestris. Most everything will still make it, I think.....but this has got to end soon....hope for a warm March.

It got colder than expected. Temps were expected to be mid-30's near the coast but but has dropped below freezing. Nothing protected. My little greenhouse housing seedling Borassus from Kris, and seedling Bizzy's, a seedling Corpha may have been exposed to freezing temps sad.gif ....I hope that it remained above freezing in there (not sure). We will see. Got stuff on the back porch that should have been moved in, oh well. Alot of my stuff is starting to show damage in the yard, including one large P. sylvestris. Most everything will still make it, I think.....but this has got to end soon....hope for a warm March.

Amen to that. This is getting tiring to say the least.

hopefully this is my last winter here, i'm done with! :(:(

When My house sells I will be in a warmer place, "If we make it through March, everything is gonna be alright I know. (Spin off of Merle Haggard song)

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

hopefully this is my last winter here, i'm done with! :(:(

When My house sells I will be in a warmer place, "If we make it through March, everything is gonna be alright I know. (Spin off of Merle Haggard song)

I hate to be the glass half full guy, but NOT everything is gonna be alright if we make it though March!

There are definately things in my yard that will NOT recover,some things that MIGHT recover,and a few things(very few things) that will be alright! :(

Forecast for 33F here in Titusville tonight,could easily go below freezing! :rage:

Actually it probably doesn't matter at this point,32F would seem balmy to my palms after a low of 24.4F, and 7 or 8 nights below freezing!

The ones that are DEAD it won't bother,the ones that might have recovered probably wouldn't have grown as they did before anyway,and the ones not hurt previously won't be affected by a light freeze! :rolleyes:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Here we go again. I guess its time to finish off what was started in January. At this point I am just going to let nature take its course. I am going to sleep well tonight and let nature sort out what lives and what goes into the compost bin.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Scott, you got hammered worse than just about everyone else here in Florida, must be a cold sink there. But I think Frito was only talking about his situation. Never heard that song before, but it sounds pretty relevant to the situation, except December should be replaced with Feb. (but now that wouldn't sound too great in a song). I personally can't wait until I can sing this song.......

I just wanna punch Al Gore in the face :angry: .........again!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I have so had it, we are planning a trip in March to SW Fla (sorta vacation) but to also look around the area - Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Naples - to see what it is like. My sis said she'd rent this house while we move because our mortgage is less than her rent and this house and yard are bigger and more efficient power. That may free us up! Not etched in anything because I still got to find a job teaching in that area. Yesterday we were in the 60's for a brief period late in the afternoon with the rain, but mostly 50's. Ft Myers hit 78F. I cannot even remember 78F~! We get the cold fronts early enough in the day to prevent warming, and later down there so they do get some warmth. Even today, it hit over 60F there while we made it ALL THE WAY to 51F with a stiff breeze. So, perhaps. My yard is a waste product now, and I am losing all my motivation being stuck inside like up north!

Scott - where are you moving to? Hawaii would be nice but I doubt teachers get paid high enough for me to move there lol.. :huh:

For those complaining about global warming - this is what it is about. Ups and downs. The Olympics are struggling with snowfall in Whistler, 7000 ft up. So Cal has been really nice. We are stuck in this hellhole feeding cold air down that will not move. My poor Mom in southern NJ hasn;t been out of her house in a week, and its snowing/sleeting more today! Yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Greg

When is this going to end? I thought the rain sounded a little funny when I walked from the office to my car and then on the way home I noticed the 'rain drops' were bouncing off of my windshield. It has been sleeting, albeit lightly and mixed in with mostly rain, for a little more than an hour now. We're not forecast to see any freezing temps in the 10 day outlook, but we're going to struggle to see 50 until Saturday and then struggle to see 60 until late next week with lows in the mid-upper 30s and low 40s. This constant cold, gray, rainy crap has got to end soon!

Las Vegas hasn't seen freezing temperatures since early/mid December. Forecast this weekend is 70 and likely to go up quickly in the next few weeks. Bananas in my yard are already pushing out leaves. I doubt we will see temps in the 30s until Nov/Dec 2010. :D I love mild winters!!

Adam 

Veltina, You may not recall but Vegas received 16.7 inches of snow in Jan. of 1949 with an average temperature for another entire Jan.(1937) of 31.2F. Your low was recorded at 8F.in 1963. Accordingly, I am not certain that I would start row planting Mangos and Coconut Palms!

What you look for is what is looking

Has anyone taken a look at these 2 maps from the NWS?

The darker BLUE is for a FREEZE WARNING, not a FREEZE WATCH!

Warning means they are expecting freezing temps... watch means freezing temps are possible!

I am not really consoled by the fact the mets think the middle half of the state will escape freezing temps for whatever reason! :hmm:

post-303-12658502282841_thumb.jpg

post-303-12658503584324_thumb.jpg

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Scott, you got hammered worse than just about everyone else here in Florida, must be a cold sink there.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that lately. In fact Port St. John looked like it got hit worse than Titusville (gsn, correct me if I am wrong)it is like that the northern stretch of interior Brevard county is a cold sink.

Brevard County, Fl

Scott, you got hammered worse than just about everyone else here in Florida, must be a cold sink there.

Yeah, I have been thinking about that lately. In fact Port St. John looked like it got hit worse than Titusville (gsn, correct me if I am wrong)it is like that the northern stretch of interior Brevard county is a cold sink.

Jim,

I DO NOT live in the interior northern stretch of Brevard county...

I live a 1/2 mile from the banks of the Indian River Lagoon,some 4 or more miles EAST of I 95,and about a mile north of Highway 50...

This has never been a COLD SINK before this year, my low of 28F last year was inline with other area temps last year,and more or less the same previous years! Personally think it was the postion of the HIGH(pressure) and how it related to our location,durning this event.

I do know someone that lives in the very northern section of Brevard,north of Scottsmoor,almost on the Volusia county line ,and is actually east of US 1 and he lives in a COLD SINK. His temps can range anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees lower than me on any given freeze event,this might be the area you are refering to,he calls it Brevards artic tundra!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I have so had it, we are planning a trip in March to SW Fla (sorta vacation) but to also look around the area - Ft Myers, Cape Coral, Naples - to see what it is like. My sis said she'd rent this house while we move because our mortgage is less than her rent and this house and yard are bigger and more efficient power. That may free us up! Not etched in anything because I still got to find a job teaching in that area. Yesterday we were in the 60's for a brief period late in the afternoon with the rain, but mostly 50's. Ft Myers hit 78F. I cannot even remember 78F~! We get the cold fronts early enough in the day to prevent warming, and later down there so they do get some warmth. Even today, it hit over 60F there while we made it ALL THE WAY to 51F with a stiff breeze. So, perhaps. My yard is a waste product now, and I am losing all my motivation being stuck inside like up north!

Scott - where are you moving to? Hawaii would be nice but I doubt teachers get paid high enough for me to move there lol.. :huh:

what you said. all of it.

My husband is trying to find a teaching job as well, and to be honest, I just want to move to S/W FL. I am so damn sick of this, might as well have moved to GA a few years back, at least he could have found a teaching job up there then. And could still have palms if only sable and pindo whatever, everything here is either brown, gone, or indoors.

And it goes on and on and on........

and today I find that I can't even go to the palm sale or even walk for another 6 weeks to 2 months. miserable.

St. Pete

Jim,

I DO NOT live in the interior northern stretch of Brevard county...

I live a 1/2 mile from the banks of the Indian River Lagoon,some 4 or more miles EAST of I 95,and about a mile north of Highway 50...

This has never been a COLD SINK before this year, my low of 28F last year was inline with other area temps last year,and more or less the same previous years! Personally think it was the postion of the HIGH(pressure) and how it related to our location,durning this event.

I do know someone that lives in the very northern section of Brevard,north of Scottsmoor,almost on the Volusia county line ,and is actually east of US 1 and he lives in a COLD SINK. His temps can range anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees lower than me on any given freeze event,this might be the area you are refering to,he calls it Brevards artic tundra!

I have noticed that north Brevard consistently gets hit with harder freezes than say, south of 528.

Brevard County, Fl

what you said. all of it.

My husband is trying to find a teaching job as well, and to be honest, I just want to move to S/W FL. I am so damn sick of this, might as well have moved to GA a few years back, at least he could have found a teaching job up there then. And could still have palms if only sable and pindo whatever, everything here is either brown, gone, or indoors.

And it goes on and on and on........

and today I find that I can't even go to the palm sale or even walk for another 6 weeks to 2 months. miserable.

I feel your angst & share your sorrow\ anger. But lets keep things in perspective. I've had the privilege of a several day visit in the Tampa bay area & quickly came to the conclusion that St. Petersburg was where I would want to live. The towering royals, mammoth banyan & tropical foliage everywhere. You live in a wonderful region for palm lovers & we envy the beauty of Florida. It hurt all of us to vicariously experience the frost that attacked the palm paradise. But I can assure you that the trees will recover & new palms will grow fast to replace the old. Don't be too discouraged because this will be a distance memory by summer. ;)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I feel your angst & share your sorrow\ anger. But lets keep things in perspective. I've had the privilege of a several day visit in the Tampa bay area & quickly came to the conclusion that St. Petersburg was where I would want to live. The towering royals, mammoth banyan & tropical foliage everywhere. You live in a wonderful region for palm lovers & we envy the beauty of Florida. It hurt all of us to vicariously experience the frost that attacked the palm paradise. But I can assure you that the trees will recover & new palms will grow fast to replace the old. Don't be too discouraged because this will be a distance memory by summer. ;)

Thank you for that, happ. Yes, really it is a wonderful place - and you put it in very good perspective. We are so fortunate to live in what you call our palm paradise. So I do feel bad for griping about it.... at a time when everyone from the mid-atlantic up is battling horrendous blizzards and collapsing buildings... and the people of CA are beset by mudslides that destroy their homes.

It's just hard, when you've created your garden over 20 years, and have raised nice big lutescens (still one of my faves), phat & green and lush - from a pot of seedlings in the $1 throwaway bin at (big box store). Happ, I took one of the seedlings and grew it into a double-trunked lutescens that was just amazing. Another seedling I separated out grew into a nice mid-sized 5 trunk beauty that I kept trimmed. Another, grown from barely more than a seedling was huge.

A juvie lepto was really growing - the triangle teddies were amazing. I grew my spindle from a juvie into a nice big beauty. and so on...

Then there were the crotons - Gloriosa, Queen Victoria, Gold Dust, AFD5, Nestor, Rainbow, Stoplight, mammies - all gone. My two huge bougies that flowered consistently - a cascade of brilliant flowers - nothing but dead sticks. It's sad to look at - but What makes it really upsetting is that I can't just go out on the weekends and DO SOMETHING about it.

St. Pete