IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FROST IN SO. CAL.

roosty sado

Shocked, my low temps on several thermos were 33F and 35F, and had a 1/8 inch thick layer of ice in one pool of water.  Hope this is not a harbinger of the upcoming winter. Brrrrr....

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

Spock, I do belive you're right about the sensor being exposed to the sky.  That's why I wanted to specify, "out in the open".  If I put a paper plate over the sensor it dosen't read quite as cold but anything planted out in the open dosen't have a paper plate over it so I don't bother.

And yes, I am a crazy adrenaline junky!  Sometimes I run outside at night naked in the cold to check my thermometer.  I'm loco. :P

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Okay...

In cold spot where sensor is 39.7 (north side of house, with canyon air hitting from upslope)

Out in the open and in the front of the canyon (cold blocked by house) we had 45.

My Alpinia purpurata was still alive....

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Holy mackerel...check out this temp map as of 1015PM eastern tonight......

There is a 77F differential between the warm and cold spots and its warmer in northern Maine than in southern Texas!

acttemp_600x405d.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Fantastic graphic showing the advance of the arctic air mass swallowing up the nation   :P

Will be another cold night but warmer into the weekend especially maximums.

Cold in Cali today:

San Francisco : 57/44

LA : 68/46

San Diego : 66/46

But much colder minimums inland & in calm regions.   :o

Burbank : 36

Escondido : 38

El Cajon : 35

Deserts:

Palm Springs : 38

Phoenix : 32

Las Vegas : 28

Death Valley : 38

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Larry,

GREAT map!! Time for some more palm photos from Maine! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

(bgl @ Dec. 01 2006,01:02)

Time for some more palm photos from Maine! :D

Bo-Göran

Bo-

I fear that any photos taken this time of year would be of merely brown withered messes seeing as how theyve had....oh...25 or 30 freezes already so far this fall :D

Larry 

(blonddude @ Nov. 30 2006,11:20)

Okay...

In cold spot where sensor is 39.7 (north side of house, with canyon air hitting from upslope)

Out in the open and in the front of the canyon (cold blocked by house) we had 45.

My Alpinia purpurata was still alive....

This brings up a good point that I was talking with Shon about yesterday.   How many folks here have there sensors or ? in the coldest spot in their yard versus just "outside".

I decided I'd rather know my absolute coldest even if it meant losing the "Zone 10 awards...".   Because I"LL know there rest of my yard is WARMER than the temp I stated.

Where are your sensors?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 01 2006,09:27)

This brings up a good point that I was talking with Shon about yesterday.   How many folks here have there sensors or ? in the coldest spot in their yard versus just "outside".

I decided I'd rather know my absolute coldest even if it meant losing the "Zone 10 awards...".   Because I"LL know there rest of my yard is WARMER than the temp I stated.

Where are your sensors?

My sensor is maybe 40" above the ground on my back fence, east exposure.  (Not under cover and lights with the Carpoxylon, but about 5 feet away.)    

Um,  so, how do you know where the coldest part of the yard is?

Just for kicks I did a test this morning.  The sensor location was 40, under my patio cover attached to the house it was 46.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

One senser hangs 10 feet above deck on north side of house.  Another is at 5' on south-facing porch at the top of the hill. Both reflect descending night air.  

Cold air is quickly mixing out   :D

Minimum : 50F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Dec. 01 2006,11:06)

One senser hangs 10 feet above deck on north side of house.  Another is at 5' on south-facing porch at the top of the hill.

Which is the "official" one?

I have been trying to get a solid consensus on this as I want to make sure my sensor is at the proper and "official" height.  Right now I have it at approximately 5 feet above grade as I believed this to be about "right" as far as what the NWS uses?

Larry 

(Kim @ Dec. 01 2006,10:49)

If you have a fast acting thermocouple type sensor it is fairly easy to do on cold nights/morning with calm air.

On many such mornings I have been spotted walking around with such a device and facing odd stares from neighbors.

But, the stares were less condescending than they were last July when I fired up a bunch of forced air propane heaters for a test :D

In the case of my yard as far as cold spots, the yard is small enough and uniform that there is little differential in temperature throughout.

Larry 

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 01 2006,09:27)

Where are your sensors?

My sensor is in the most exposed area of my garden, inside a stephenson screen at a height of about 100cm.  This is a lower height than most official measurements, which means the nighttime temperatures I record are a little colder than the official readings.

This morning was a little warmer, I bottomed out at just under 5C (41F).

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

This morning was a little warmer for me too.  Low of 37F(2.7C).

I got my first thermometer set last year for Christmas and went through all the different spots and heights in the yard taking temps.  I found that I got about 10F degrees difference from the warmest spot to the coldest spot.  The warmest is usually next to the house and the coldest is out in the open as you'd expect.  What surprised me was the 5-8F degree difference I saw just from moving a sensor from sitting on my patio table to only 5 feet away and strapped to the trunk of a King Palm.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(Kim @ Dec. 01 2006,07:49)

(BS @ Man about Palms,Dec. 01 2006,09:27)

Where are your sensors?

My sensor is maybe 40" above the ground on my back fence, east exposure.  (Not under cover and lights with the Carpoxylon, but about 5 feet away.)    

Just for kicks I did a test this morning.  The sensor location was 40, under my patio cover attached to the house it was 46.

Kim, generally your coldest spot will be the lowest area in your yard with the least amount of air movement out in the open and the least dense objects nearby. (Walls, rocks, trees, etc. either radiate some heat , or block the cold when falling)

Another way would be to visualise your place in a "Hobbitscape" :D   In other words, if you could see a real low fog, or a dry ice fog forming, where would it end up?

I have mine @18' above the ground because thats about the height of the (someday) smallest babies will be when planted.

Plus, if you move a sensor to test differential, you should be AWAY from it and give it 5 min to stabilise...

PS- same area this morning was 40F, 3 degrees warmer

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Tonight will be much warmer than last night.  Last night my temp bottomed out at 38F and by 10 Pm last night it was at 43F. Tonight at 10 Pm I'm currently at 54F.  According to report the low will be 46F and so far that looks about right.  Although I prefer it in the 50's to 60's, anything in the mid 40F range sounds warm compared to what it was.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 01 2006,11:13)

On many such mornings I have been spotted walking around with such a device and facing odd stares from neighbors.

But, the stares were less condescending than they were last July when I fired up a bunch of forced air propane heaters for a test :D

In the case of my yard as far as cold spots, the yard is small enough and uniform that there is little differential in temperature throughout.

You crack me up, Larry  :P

Flat/even landscape = consistent temp.

LA : 82/56

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23