IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FROST IN SO. CAL.

roosty sado

WELL, IT'S THAT TIME OF YEAR WHEN THE SANTA ANAS CAN GET EXTREMELY DRY AND COLD.NOT A GOOD COMBO FOR MARGINAL PALMS.TONIGHT MIGHT BE A BAD ONE SO GET OUT THE HOT WATER MISTERS OR SOMETHING.GOOD LUCK ! ESPECIALLY IN H.B.

coastal San Diego 10b winter(39f-75f)summer(60f-85f)

So Rusty,

It takes a frost advisory to finally get you to post.

Shon, Can you believe it.

A little early for frost. Hope it does't portend what is to come.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Rusty!  Wassup dude!  With canopy like this I don't think you need to worry about frost. :)

post-126-1164843312_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

What's H.B., Huntington Beach?  Do they have a nasty cold drainage or something?  I remember Will saying Solana Beach gets crazy cold too because of being adjacent to the canyon mouth.  I got down to 42F out in the open last night.  We'll see what tonight brings.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I know Dean I'm floored. And he posts in the weather section of all places. Thanks Rusty for the update already took in the florencei and the other marginals. Matty I got down to 40 but the humidity was at 21% which I thought was worse. Oh yeah Rusty take care of my palms that are at your grotto.

Shon

San Marcos CA

I was down to 46 last night. I bet high 30s tonight even though the NWS is predicting 40. Warmer if the winds keep up and colder if they don't. Tomorrow night will equally as bad. Should warm back up after that however.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

already brought in the house:

all the zamias, the Verschaffeltia splendida , licuala, and a few other marginals for a few nights stay...got down to 40F inside my coldframe last night...I expect it to be colder tonite, so not taking any chances.

kinda early for this weather, doncha think?

still haven't gotten any heat in there yet, so better off safe than sorry i figure.

Wind is shifting NE tonight.  Setting up a santa ana that will import arctic air into the Southwest.  

Take a look at these freeze warnings  :o

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/psr/

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/

LA : 68/47

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(tropicalb @ Nov. 29 2006,21:21)

kinda early for this weather, doncha think?

Its always too early for this crap.

I feel for you guys out there.....ours in central FLwill be coming sooner or later as well  :(

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(happ @ Nov. 29 2006,21:22)

Wind is shifting NE tonight.  Setting up a santa ana that will import arctic air into the Southwest.  

Happ -

When the winds are NE, how much influence does the Pacific have on overnight lows in SoCal?

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Nov. 29 2006,21:30)

(happ @ Nov. 29 2006,21:22)

Happ -

When the winds are NE, how much influence does the Pacific have on overnight lows in SoCal?

NONE   :(

Dew points were below 0 today and will lower more tomorrow.  Can you imagine the heat loss/radiation?  That's why wind is a critical element & allows mimimums to moderate.  In spite of this intensely cold air mass overnight lows in the 40's/7c are a concern but minus any significant damage.   :)

An interesting flip/flop from last week's heat.  Now Florida will be the hot spot as this arctic outbreak stays to the north of the state   :cool:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I hope that it stays frost free out there for you guys. I still have high hopes for San Diego as it is one of the places in the running where I might want to settle in the very near future (Miami, FL and Anywhere, HI being the other two places).  :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I broke down and covered the Pritchardia w/ a sheet.  It probably won't be too cold to spot it but it's planted in the absolute lowest/coldest spot in my yard that always sees frost first and those big flat leaves are just beggin to get burned.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I just checked the temperature in two locations in my yard.  Both are reading 38 degrees already and its only 8:45 pm in Vista California.

Plant a palm....

Coincidently I had my son check the temp at my place in Leucadia at 8:40 and it was 57.

For those that don't know, that's about 15-20 miles from Vista. Closer to the ocean.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Ok, temp check roll call:

Lemon Grove, CA

9:05pm

43F out in the open

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

9 pm and my therm says 34 F....and that's up on the hill by the house...yowza. Scyhzilobiums, plumerias and my variegated Baronii came inside with papa.

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

Happ - thanks for those links. I like the NOAA site. Has alot of good info - warnings, etc.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

45 degrees in the patio-warmer out front-the joys of living in a canyon. I think I'll be okay. Why so damn early?!?!

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

12:15 Pm and I should be asleep since I have set the alarm for 4:45 am in case I'm gonna spray like Dean did years ago...

Its 44 degrees and 50+ humidity in that harbor freight green house....is it more telling that my old master bedroom "addition", uninsulated is 59 degrees at this point??

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

3:30 am going to work says 48 and 20% humidity took everything in yesterday but better to be safe than sorry plus one more night to go.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Hi-Lo in my coldframe checked at 6:15am indicates it only got down to 42F last nite...if that is as cold as it's gonna get in there with no heat and a nite like last nite, I think i'm gonna be good all winter...

outside temp at 6:20am was 42 under the shadecloth...

I feel for you guys. Your winter is starting just like our winter did in the West coast of Oz. The end of May had some real cool nights and was DRY. The third week in May we were still near 30C, but come early June we had some record cold with very cold temps early in the evening, however the day temps were bouncing back to near 20C. June was extremely dry and nights were freezing, but I found that temps around 2-3C didn't damage anything when the humidity was so low. With no humidity ice was very difficult to form and damage was actually quite low to any palms, even young spindle palms which didn't spot at all. However none of my palms actually saw ice. If your winter follows ours your average temps day and night won't be so bad, but the extremes may be scary at times.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It got down to 41F in the HFGH and I decided to go spray the "low back corner" of my palms in the open.and checked the temp after I sprayed, (not sure if it raised) but it was 37F

I suspect thats the coldest spot on my property.  I'm happy with the HFGH since it is in the shade right now from about 1PM on...Left the Vershafeltii in there, but put my recent "pot-ups"

in there too.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Plus- we are supposed to be like this for close to a week! :(

Only hit 32f last night in Riverside. Santa Anas kept the frost away.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Once again, topography/proximity to Pacific/access to wind create a patchwork that drives NWS bonkers   :P

Take a look at these early morning readings:

L.A. DOWNTOWN : 43  

L.A. X  : 47  

FULLERTON  : 40  

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 50  

MALIBU :53

MANHATTAN BEACH : 39  

PALOS VERDES : 52  

SANTA ANA : 54

STA MONICA : 45  

BURBANK : 36

VAN NUYS : 49  

AGOURA HILLS :  36

CHATSWORTH : 50

CLAREMONT  : 36

SAN BERNARDINO : 30  

WOODLAND HILLS : 48

Strangely downtown LA & San Diego were the cold spots while lowland valleys were much warmer due to wind direction.   ???

LA Foothills [santa Monica/Hollywood/Verdugo/San Rafael] : 46 minimum

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

My outdoor sensor recorded a low of 37.2F/3C!!

I bundled up all the delicates in plastic and bamboo tents yesterday before dark, also a string of lights -- don't know how much those things help, but I was concerned.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Our minimum temp was at 5:30AM 44.6F.

There's this couple that has a weather station two blocks from me, and I it baffles me how sometimes their info seems so different.

Weather Station Info

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

My hi lows read as follows:

In the cold frame:  43.2F (6.2C)

Out in the open: 32.5F (0.3C)

The wind kicked up around midnight and the temp shot up about 5 degrees.  It soon calmed back down and by morning I recorded my lows.  No frost on any windshields, I suspect due to the extremely low humidity.  There was very very light frost on a couple of little patches of grass here and there.  I didn't expect it to get that cold so I'm glad I threw some sheets on stuff.  Keep in mind that my 32.5F out in the open probably would read about 38F if I had raised the sensor up a couple of feet and attached it to my fence or something.  This is what I learned last year by moving it around.  A weather station (enclosed box) will read 5 degrees warmeer sitting right next to my sensor just sitting out on my patio table.  So even if I record a temp into the 20's I know that most places in my garden aren't that cold.  Conversely, if you're temp sensor is under canopy or near a house or wall, keep in mind that if you have a seedling planted out in the open then it's probably seeing temps 5-8F colder.  Just something to keep in mind.  It's fun to experiment w/ microclimates.  Incidentaly, this low was colder than I saw all last winter which was 34F three nights in a row.  One more night to go.  I kind of like it when it gets this cold, it's exciting.  Am I crazy?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

On examining that weather station further, I just realized their wind gauge only goes up to 29MPH! No wonder it seems weaker than it really is.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(epicure3 @ Nov. 29 2006,19:39)

I was down to 46 last night. I bet high 30s tonight even though the NWS is predicting 40. Warmer if the winds keep up and colder if they don't. Tomorrow night will equally as bad. Should warm back up after that however.

Ended up at 43 on one thermometer and 41 on the other. Might even shave off another degree or 2 tonight.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

(MattyB @ Nov. 30 2006,11:53)

A weather station (enclosed box) will read 5 degrees warmeer sitting right next to my sensor just sitting out on my patio table.  

If that happens---

1)  The enclosed box is "trapping" heat from the table and causing the higher reading

or

2)  The sensor left open has its element facing the sky and as such loses its heat more quickly (and falsely) records a lower temp.

Id guess item 2).

But, this problem is easy to solve in 15 seconds with a stick stuck in the ground and the sensor attached to it at the proper height!  That way, there is no guessing as to what the "official" temperature is.

Larry 

(MattyB @ Nov. 30 2006,11:53)

One more night to go.  I kind of like it when it gets this cold, it's exciting.  Am I crazy?

You are a sicko adrenaline junky!

LOL.

In seriousness, I understand your "excitement" as I have felt the same a few times when things got a little nippy.  One just sort of wants to see how things fare (after post after post of theoretical dicussions related to hardiness) and theres no better way than first hand experience :D

Larry 

As always in Altadena, there was ZERO wind all night, all day, etc.  I think this helped with humidity, since I was around 50-60% RH when I went to bed and early this morning when I woke up.  But, no wind killed my temperatures and I bottomed out a little above 2C (about 36F) in my garden this morning....

Just think, two days ago my low temperature for the fall was 8C  :laugh:

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...