IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"California Storms to be Unrelenting"

happ

Per an early report from my favorite KUSI weathercaster last night, possible drizzle mid week, but looks like real storms coming next weekend.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Let's keep our fingers crossed because there is further warming in the tropical Pacific & favorable movement of Madden-Julian oscillation [a reinforcing tropical circulation]. High pressure could ruin it for SoCal but we are entering for favorable rain conditions none-the-less. Here's recent discussion from NWS_SF:

ENJOY THE DRY WEATHER WHILE IT LASTS...A RAINY WEEK IS STILL EXPECTED TO KICK OFF MONDAY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. ACCORDING TO THE CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER EL NINO STRENGTHENED DURING DECEMBER, WITH ABOVE AVERAGE SEA SURFACE TEMPERATURES ENCOMPASSING THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN EQUATORIAL PACIFIC OCEAN. WEEKLY VALUES OF THE NINO 3.4 INDEX INCREASED SLIGHTLY WITH THE MOST RECENT VALUES REACHING +1.8C. ADDITIONALLY...THE MJO IS CURRENTLY IN PHASE SPACE 7 WHICH IS A PREFERABLE PHASE FOR A WET PATTERN TO DEVELOP. WHAT THIS ALL BOILS DOWN TO IS ENHANCED CONFIDENCE IN A WET FORECAST FOR THE UPCOMING WEEK. IN FACT...THE CPC 6 TO 10 OUTLOOK SUGGESTS ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION FOR THE ENTIRE CALIFORNIA COAST.

Edited by happ
  • Upvote 1

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I'm doing my rain dance . . . .

Rain godz, pleeeze, send the rain

Between midnight and 6 a.m. if you can . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Heavy showers\ thunderstorms overnight in LA w/ mud slides in burn areas. More rainfall today. Over 3 inches at my location since yesterday.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Heavy showers\ thunderstorms overnight in LA w/ mud slides in burn areas. More rainfall today. Over 3 inches at my location since yesterday.

San Diego county is not getting nearly that much...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hit hard at 4 this morning. Like Happ, over three inches since midnight.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

I'll be lucky to have 1" out of this. Thankfully, no wind.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

THE CPC 6 TO 10 OUTLOOK SUGGESTS ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION FOR THE ENTIRE CALIFORNIA COAST.

Yup, prediction vindicated. I feel like I'm on the north shore of Kauai right now.

Which one,the prediction on 1/30 or the one 2 days later on 2/1? I guess if you call both, one has to be right? :winkie:

The weather computer models continue to back off on much rainfall for SoCal this week :( and we could end up with little if any moisture. Partly cloudy\ cool but dry!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

THE CPC 6 TO 10 OUTLOOK SUGGESTS ABOVE NORMAL PRECIPITATION FOR THE ENTIRE CALIFORNIA COAST.

Yup, prediction vindicated. I feel like I'm on the north shore of Kauai right now.

Which one,the prediction on 1/30 or the one 2 days later on 2/1? I guess if you call both, one has to be right? :winkie:

The weather computer models continue to back off on much rainfall for SoCal this week :( and we could end up with little if any moisture. Partly cloudy\ cool but dry!

Don't listen to this guy Happ. He's super bitter. Keep posting I as well as others enjoy you weather posts.

San Marcos CA

I guess if pointing out that predicting the weather is less than reliable (set in stone) makes me bitter, then I guess I am? :)

But I would call it being somewhat CYNICAL about the ability to predict the weather!

Happ was merely the messinger,the metoroligists were the ones that couldn't decide which it would be... they were the ones predicting what was going to happen weather wise!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Thankfully this round with mother nature is over but it left damage:

losangelesstorm2-6-10e.jpg

losangelesstorm2-6-10d.jpg

losangelesstorm2-6-10g.jpg

losangelesstorm2-6-10.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W