IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A Lift After The Big FL Freeze!

Paul The Palm Doctor!

I don't know if this idea has already been offered, (and if it has forgive me!) but I thought of something oh-so-basic today, while watering my browning tropical plants.

If we need a bit of an emotional "lift" after two whole weeks of mind-numbing, and seemingly relentless cold in the Gulf South, try the following:

1. buy a brand new palm at your favourite palm source, that was greenhoused, and therefore is a vibrant green! You will "focus" on the planting, establishment, and growth...and this palm will be a harbinger of what the other not-so-pretty cold damaged palms will look like (a bit later in the year!)

2. Buy a trio of pretty foliaged or flowering plants that again, will readjust the foci to the green and tropical, plus very importantly, focus away from what's brown in your yard. Put these plants outside your sitting area so you can enjoy them on weekends and those now lengthening Northern Hemisphere afternoon/evenings.

3. buy a couple of flats of annuals like impatiens, snapdragons, salvia and/or marigolds to put around the plants, that surround the newly purchased palm tree! Now you have ONE AREA that looks and FEELS like the subtropical town you moved to under a greener canopy!

The total cost of this little psychologiccal lift, will probably only cost you maybe $50.00 to under $100.00. It will be worth way more than its cost, in the value it gives to your spirit!

This idea may seem simple and stupid, but it has helped me survive previous post-frost/freeze damaged landscapes with a great deal of success!

Worth a try perhaps??

Dr. Paul

• Like 1

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I don't know if this idea has already been offered, (and if it has forgive me!) but I thought of something oh-so-basic today, while watering my browning tropical plants.

If we need a bit of an emotional "lift" after two whole weeks of mind-numbing, and seemingly relentless cold in the Gulf South, try the following:

1. buy a brand new palm at your favourite palm source, that was greenhoused, and therefore is a vibrant green! You will "focus" on the planting, establishment, and growth...and this palm will be a harbinger of what the other not-so-pretty cold damaged palms will look like (a bit later in the year!)

2. Buy a trio of pretty foliaged or flowering plants that again, will readjust the foci to the green and tropical, plus very importantly, focus away from what's brown in your yard. Put these plants outside your sitting area so you can enjoy them on weekends and those now lengthening Northern Hemisphere afternoon/evenings.

3. buy a couple of flats of annuals like impatiens, snapdragons, salvia and/or marigolds to put around the plants, that surround the newly purchased palm tree! Now you have ONE AREA that looks and FEELS like the subtropical town you moved to under a greener canopy!

The total cost of this little psychologiccal lift, will probably only cost you maybe $50.00 to under $100.00. It will be worth way more than its cost, in the value it gives to your spirit!

This idea may seem simple and stupid, but it has helped me survive previous post-frost/freeze damaged landscapes with a great deal of success!

Worth a try perhaps??

Dr. Paul

I still think the bottle of scotch would be cheaper. :winkie:

• Upvote 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Worth a try perhaps??

Dr. Paul

Not a good alternative, John, although, "yes" it is less $$$. I'm surprised at you! How cryptic!

Dr. Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Ill tell you what Paul. I am proud of myself!

When I walked around my yard yesterday, with the damage likely most fully manifested by now, I was not even fazed. I thought merely "This palm is burned, that palm is burned" without any negative emotional reaction to it.

A few years ago, this would have really irritated me (as I thought of how things looked before, how much effort Id put in, how much $ Id spent, etc).

But, what are you going to do? This is just how things are and so the only thing left to do is accept it and wait for better green foliage in a few months.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Worth a try perhaps??

Dr. Paul

Paul, this is a terrific idea, and not stupid at all. Oh HOW I wish I could go out right now and do that. Looking around the yard from my front door this morning made me sick. Never had a frost like this here, and didn't think it could happen....

...when I get out of this stupid wheelchair, there's gonna be some serious changes here. but for now, just have to wait.

and wish we'd never left S. FL.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Larry ,

I have accepted it also. However I have stuff that will probably be waiting till eternity for green foliage to come, after a low of 24F...

What I have also accepted is anything that doesn't survive will not be replaced with any marginal palms (zone 10), it will be replaced with palms that will laugh at the temps we experienced, as it will happen again some day. There are still many beautiful palms out there to plant, that won't get fried in my icebox the next time it happens. Boring maybe, but reality is a bitch!!! :winkie::)

I hope everyone one, as successful of a recovery as possible, from this cold event!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Worth a try perhaps??

Dr. Paul

Not a good alternative, John, although, "yes" it is less $$$. I'm surprised at you! How cryptic!

Dr. Paul

Just a little humor, Pablito, nothing more or less. :)

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

• 2 years later...

Worth a try perhaps??

Dr. Paul

:floor:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...

Those palms in Florida will need some good polar outfit it seems...

Alexander

Edited by Explorer