IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California: Are We Next?

happ

Man, Steve....

You might have to actually put on pants!!!!!! :drool:

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

No wind Happ. Can you put in a request?

Sorry but, in-fact, there will be very strong winds w/ the jet overhead :unsure:

iws6_430.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Sorry but, in-fact, there will be very strong winds w/ the jet overhead :unsure:

iws6_430.jpg

We were buckin 160knots at 34,000 coming into LAX yesterday, almost a direct crosswind. It was interesting to see the nose pointed 30degrees off of our ground track to correct :blink:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

iws6_430.jpg

We were buckin 160knots at 34,000 coming into LAX yesterday, almost a direct crosswind. It was interesting to see the nose pointed 30degrees off of our ground track to correct :blink:

That'll add a few ticks onto the arrival time. Were you on a 180* heading with those crosswinds?

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Happ,

MattyB's right in the path of that thing, I’m looking forward to the rain, got any idea of the ground wind speeds we may expect, we gonna to have tie things down this time?

________________________________________________________________________________

Nick L

Nice coastal influence at 32 43'26.88"N 116 59'01.52"W elev. 829

Man, Steve....

That would be spooky :rolleyes:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Man, Steve....

That would be spooky :rolleyes:

It's been a long time. They are probably white bell-bottoms from the John Travolta collection.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

iws6_430.jpg

That'll add a few ticks onto the arrival time. Were you on a 180* heading with those crosswinds?

Funny thing is, being a cross wind we were 40 min early as it's normally a direct head wind going west and the winds were out of the north, go figure :blink:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Happ,

MattyB's right in the path of that thing, I’m looking forward to the rain, got any idea of the ground wind speeds we may expect, we gonna to have tie things down this time?

Hey Nick,

I think it would be wise to start tying down vulnerable trees. I have skinny veitchia\ ptychosperma that may be damaged even up close to the house. The jet will come ashore just south of San Diego w/ 40-50mph winds likely in places. Rainfall will be torrential & mud will replace our usual dry soil. I believe the potential for tree damage will be higher this week than we have experienced in several years. The winter of 2005 dumped unheard amounts of rainfall on California & some neighbors lost part of their property\ trees to landslides :blink: Image that our total average yearly rainfall may occur in one week.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

The approaching storms look ominous, but we haven't had anything like this in years, and we need it no matter how hard the winds blow. This may finally break the Calif. drought.

I have only had two good rains this year. All the others have fizzled out with very little moisture. I got zapped for two nights in early Dec with 24/25 temps, but nothing freezing since then. Oddly with the cold and maybe the two rains all the unsightlyt brown fronds hanging from my Queens have come down and they look decent again.

There will be stories of mud slides, floods, wind damage, etc. but this is the price we pay for living in beautiful California. Most of the time it's pretty damn nice.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Agree with you, Dick. The drought conditions in California & Arizona will be significantly eased in just one week. It's too early to say how much rain will occur but improvement of the Sierra snow pack should be impressive. Maybe water restrictions will be lifted :mrlooney:

drought.gif

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I hope it doesn't happen, but with So Cal well above average temps so far, the only way to get close to average temps for the rest of winter is lower temps in the near future. I hope not though. I'd love to see the Newport Coconut flower. If the winter stays like it has, it very well could flower.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

It's anything but cold in your part of the world. I saw on TV that Melbourne had a low of 93F\ 33.8C! :blink: Is this summer abnormally warm in Australia?

Yes, it's shaping up to be a hot one this year. I think that 33.8C min is a record for Melbourne. Perth has never recorded a min that high. Adelaide has been copping a hot dry blasting too. We're now entering a heatwave on the west coast today. 35C today then up to the 40's roughly for 3 days on the weekend with no relief in sight afterwards. It cools down to 37C on Tuesday. I think Tassie has been getting boiling too. I saw a forecast for Hobart with a 23C min and a 31C max. Not bad for 42S.

Best regards

Tyrone

yes Tyrone its been unusually warm down here this summer .New years eve was 39.7 c here at old beach and it still was 35c at 8.40 pm . With our summers normally being like SFO bay area its definately alot warmer .

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/201001/h...21.201001.shtml

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Happ,

Hey Nick,

I think it would be wise to start tying down vulnerable trees. I have skinny veitchia\ ptychosperma that may be damaged even up close to the house. The jet will come ashore just south of San Diego w/ 40-50mph winds likely in places. Rainfall will be torrential & mud will replace our usual dry soil. I believe the potential for tree damage will be higher this week than we have experienced in several years. The winter of 2005 dumped unheard amounts of rainfall on California & some neighbors lost part of their property\ trees to landslides :blink: Image that our total average yearly rainfall may occur in one week.

I do remember that winter. I lost some citrus trees due to standing water. The soil is a lot better now but we are still in for a lot of rain. I hope the winds are not as bad as they were a month ago. Those were the strongest I have ever experienced here in SD. :huh:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Happ,

MattyB's right in the path of that thing, I'm looking forward to the rain, got any idea of the ground wind speeds we may expect, we gonna to have tie things down this time?

Hey Nick,

Thanks Happ, I better git err dun then. I’ve got a little 6x8x7 shade house, sounds like that’s gotta come down then.

________________________________________________________________________________

Nick L

Nice coastal influence at 32 43'26.88"N 116 59'01.52"W elev. 829

Forecast for the Las Vegas valley is up to 3" of rain over the next week. That would be HUGE!! Now if we can just keep the warm lows for the next 6 weeks! Many parts of my yard have not even seen freezing temperatures this winter. Might end up being a great winter...

Adam 

Happ, I would like to have a peek at your browser's weather bookmarks. You are really plugged into 'all things weather'.

Thanks for keeping us appraised of what's in store...

I hope you guys get rain without much disaster. I'm sick of seeing and reading about full on disasters. I'm over it. What I'm worried about for you guys is landslides. Your soil is clay that's been baked rock hard by drought, so if you get 75-100mm of rain in a few hours for example, none of it will run into the ground. It will run off and make little streams into big rivers. I'm glad MattyB didn't create a dam in Manambe Lavaka like I once suggested. It could flood people downstream in an event like this if it burst. If the rain is intense for an extended period landslides will be the next problem. :(

Take care guys and tie things down so they don't blow away. My thoughts are with you and I wish you all the best.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I hope it doesn't happen, but with So Cal well above average temps so far, the only way to get close to average temps for the rest of winter is lower temps in the near future. I hope not though. I'd love to see the Newport Coconut flower. If the winter stays like it has, it very well could flower.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

It's anything but cold in your part of the world. I saw on TV that Melbourne had a low of 93F\ 33.8C! :blink: Is this summer abnormally warm in Australia?

Yes, it's shaping up to be a hot one this year. I think that 33.8C min is a record for Melbourne. Perth has never recorded a min that high. Adelaide has been copping a hot dry blasting too. We're now entering a heatwave on the west coast today. 35C today then up to the 40's roughly for 3 days on the weekend with no relief in sight afterwards. It cools down to 37C on Tuesday. I think Tassie has been getting boiling too. I saw a forecast for Hobart with a 23C min and a 31C max. Not bad for 42S.

Best regards

Tyrone

yes Tyrone its been unusually warm down here this summer .New years eve was 39.7 c here at old beach and it still was 35c at 8.40 pm . With our summers normally being like SFO bay area its definately alot warmer .

Are things growing like crazy for you? We've been very warm. I'm hoping my Heliconia rostratas flower this year. I've dosed them up on Potassium and trace elements and keep them well hydrated with the odd splashing to the leaves to keep the humidity up, so now with the warm summer I'm hoping for them to burst into flower. My beehive ginger is flowering again too, as well as my Dypsis plumosa which is wanting to repopulate the earth with little Dypsis plumosa's. :)

Here's Perth averages. The night averages will go up over the next few days too.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW6111.latest.shtml

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone,

Best regards

Tyrone

Are things growing like crazy for you? We've been very warm. I'm hoping my Heliconia rostratas flower this year. I've dosed them up on Potassium and trace elements and keep them well hydrated with the odd splashing to the leaves to keep the humidity up, so now with the warm summer I'm hoping for them to burst into flower. My beehive ginger is flowering again too, as well as my Dypsis plumosa which is wanting to repopulate the earth with little Dypsis plumosa's. :)

Here's Perth averages. The night averages will go up over the next few days too.

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJDW6111.latest.shtml

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks for the link to government site [looks like your relative humidity lowers a bit when it is "bloody" hot! Same as in California during summer]. I envy that h. rostratas flowers for you. B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

While I know that there are several human downsides to this series of storms that I am not looking forward to, it will be great to finally leach the salt from the soils. I was just looking at my palms and they have so much salt burn from the irrigation (no, Mr. San Diego water official guy, I didn't water more than I was supposed to) that the palms sure could use some natural from the sky watering. With our lack of rain for the last several years, it will take a lot to filter out all the garbage.

Just a little glass 1/2 full thinking.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

While I know that there are several human downsides to this series of storms that I am not looking forward to, it will be great to finally leach the salt from the soils. I was just looking at my palms and they have so much salt burn from the irrigation (no, Mr. San Diego water official guy, I didn't water more than I was supposed to) that the palms sure could use some natural from the sky watering. With our lack of rain for the last several years, it will take a lot to filter out all the garbage.

yes we need very much this rain but like this, no.

these storms are very dangerous.

when theres big storms like this of el niño in some short time, it is sure some people are going to die.

in 1993 more then 600 people die in baja california and more then 200 in 1998 and 2005, this of the rains of el niño. in these years also i know many people die in southern california north of where i am.

and some other problem is most the water goes to the ocean for the land cant absorb this rain. the little soils we have are of clay and rocks with little vegetations. storms like these help some little bit the problem of drought but it is much more better have storms of one half inch of rain of each storm every 3-4 days.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

yes we need very much this rain but like this, no.

these storms are very dangerous.

when theres big storms like this of el niño in some short time, it is sure some people are going to die.

in 1993 more then 600 people die in baja california and more then 200 in 1998 and 2005, this of the rains of el niño. in these years also i know many people die in southern california north of where i am.

and some other problem is most the water goes to the ocean for the land cant absorb this rain. the little soils we have are of clay and rocks with little vegetations. storms like these help some little bit the problem of drought but it is much more better have storms of one half inch of rain of each storm every 3-4 days.

Cristóbal

It appears the jet will be right over Baja California Norte during part of the week w/ some of the heaviest rainfall forecast for your area. You point out how past events have left many deaths. I recall the landslide in La Conchita beach north of Ventura when an entire hillside buried many homes & the only banana plantation in SoCal. Good luck!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

happ, thank you very much for this information of the jet stream.

they put this now on the internet:

TIJUANA BC 17 de enero de 2010 (AFN).- Las autoridades municipales prevén que las fuertes tormentas que caerán durante el transcurso de esta semana en la región, dejarán hasta 5 mil personas damnificadas, por lo que están habilitando 22 espacios de albergues en todas las delegaciones de la ciudad..........

ENGLISH - Municipal authoriteys say the strong storms to fall in this week in the region are to leave to 5,000 persons with no homes, for this they make ready 22 areas of refuge en all delegations of the city.

LINK to this in spanish: Agencía Fronteriza de Noticias

can God please help our poor city ! only yesterday the government sended 1000 more soldiers to try stop the narco killing here it is out of control, and now this ?

in the storms of el niño the streets here become rivers. houses fall down the hills and people die.

this foto show to you how are many colonias here:

post-285-1263799746_thumb.jpg

you cant go to work. you cant drive. the water service stops and theres no electricity for many hours.

this foto of el niño 2005 is only some small example of what happen in this city every where with these storms.

post-285-1263799760_thumb.jpg

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

I hope that doesn't happen Cristobal.

Best regards

Tyrone

6 dead tonight in this storm.

the firemens get ready today before it comes in the afternoon.

post-285-1264061661_thumb.jpg

flood from the storm

post-285-1264061873_thumb.jpg

they find 2 bodys together, mother and daughter. the police man is very sad.

post-285-1264062024_thumb.jpg

more of this flood. the storm for tomorow they say is to be very bad.

the total dead for this week is 9.

these storms move very fast but when they are here they are very powerful with the wind and rain. it is good they go fast from this area.

post-285-1264062218_thumb.jpg

Cristobal,

I hope things do not get worse.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg