IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rainfall in Leilani Estate, Big Island

bgl

For the benefit of the growing number of (primarily) Southern Californians who have property here in Leilani Estates, but spend a good amount of time on the U.S. Mainland, I'll post some rainfall updates every now and then to keep you informed of the situation here.

Last 24 hours: 0.06 inches

Last 72 hours: 0.06 inches

Last 7 days: 0.14 inches

June 2006: 4.55 inches  (June 2005: 14.67 inches)

May 2006: 21.07 inches (May 2005: 3.32 inches)

01 Jan-30 Jun 2006: 77.47 inches (01 Jan-30 Jun 2005: 68.25 inches).

Any questions, or if you want more specific info, let me know.

Bo

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Hmm.

Not quite the paradise of constant rain I'd originally thought.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

YES, finally some WET weather!!! Almost an inch of rain (0.97 inches to be exact) since late last night. We definitely needed this because we havn't had any rain to speak of since June 22nd (just a few quick, scattered, showers since then).

And Dave, sorry if you're disillusioned! Even with 150 inches of rain we do occasionally have a week, or two, with very dry weather!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Compared to my paltry 50 inches of yearly rain, 77 inches of rain in 6 months sounds wonderful.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Just a minor update. We seem to be back to the normal (summer) pattern with tradewinds, which means nice and predominantly dry days and some showers at night.

Total for 2006: 79.71 inches

Total for Jul 06 (7 days): 2.24 inches

.37 inch in the last 24 hours, 0.50 in the last 48 and 1.07 in the last 72 hours. Enough to keep things nice and moist, without overdoing it!

We're definitely in a wet cycle now. Another 1.04 inches for the last 24 hours. We're now up to over 80 inches for the year (80.75 to be exact = 2050 mm). Same time last year: 70.24 inches (=1784 mm). For those of you with palms here: they are HAPPY!!

Try 25 inchs of rain all year. Well this year we got well over 40 but yea, 25-30 normal for us. Last time we had rain was in june 16 or close to it and we had a trace of rain. Early may was our last good soaker.

Ah the dryness is doing a toll

4thofJulyparty-06008.jpg

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Palmy, that looks extremely dry!!

A rainfall update from a beautiful sunny morning on the Big Island:

Last 24 hours: 0.71 inches

Last 72 hours: 1.58 inches

Last 7 days: 3.69 inches

To date, 2006: 82.33 inches (same date 2005: 72.12)

Weve been in a nice pattern over here as of late with the afternoon seabreezes kicking up and giving some good thunderstorms.  Just yesterday alone I logged over 2.6".

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Yes Larry, we're on course for another 60 inch (1520mm) year.  That's better than our paltry, drought stricken 38 inch year in 2005.

Another 3.23" today......

Around 4:20PM today it came down hard (at the rate of 27.17"/hr).

I guess this makes 7.79" so far this month and 21.39" in the past 6 weeks!

Talk about feast or famine......

Larry 

Yes Larry, I haven't had to hand water in over a month.  I could get accustomed to this.

Ray

(Ray, Tampa @ Jul. 12 2006,10:55)

Yes Larry, I haven't had to hand water in over a month.  I could get accustomed to this.

Ray

Same here Ray.  I havent even run the sprinkler system in awhile.

But, all this heavy rain and cloud cover has me worried about my lawn.  These are prime conditions for St. Augustine to develop fungus.  I had that happen 3 years ago after such a period of rain/cloud cover and it was nearly unstoppable.  Merely walking on the lawn caused the disease to spread.  I ended up resodding a good area of the yard after that outbreak.

Larry 

Hot dang....another 0.31" yesterday and 2.05" more today.

Larry 

We are on a roll for sure.  

Ray

Recent rainfall in Leilani Estates:

Last 24 hours: 0.85 inches

Last 48 hours: 1.08 inches

Last 72 hours: 1.46 inches

Last 7 days: 3.65 inches

So far in July 2006: 6.93 inches (same period in 2005: 5.94 inches)

To date, 2006: 84.40 inches (same period in 2005: 74.19 inches)

84.40 inches=2144 mm. 74.19 inches=1884 mm

Fallbrook ---- California

6.2 inches of rain in the past 12 months

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

An update on the rainfall here:

Last 24 hours: 0.10 inches

Last 48 hours: 0.15 inches

Last 72 hours: 0.29 inches

Last 7 days: 0.72 inches

So far in July 2006: 7.89 inches (same period in 2005: 7.65).

Year-to-date: 85.36 (same period in 2005: 75.90).

We're slightly above average for the year. Interestingly, Hilo is quite a bit above average. As of yesterday: year-to-date: 84.61 inches, "normal" is 68.45 inches. And just to show how bizarre the weather situation is, this was on the front page of the newspaper this morning: "Big Isle's dry streak may stay"!!. "We are definitely on a dry streak" said Ray Tanabe, lead forecaster for the National Weather Service. "The long-term outlook for the next three months suggests it may stay this way."

• 2 weeks later...

Zac,

Thanks for asking! I was actually about to post this earlier today, but got sidetracked with other issues. First of all, "Daniel", which started out as a hurricane about a week ago, quickly fizzled out. It gave us a little bit more rain than normal Fri-Saturday, but hardly any wind to speak of. Here are the rainfall figures:

Last 24 hours: 0 inches

Last 48 hours: .87 inches

Last 72 hours: 2.67 inches

Last 7 days: 3.83 inches

July 2006: 11.71 inches (July 2005: 9.42 inches).

Year-to-date: 89.18 inches (same period 2005: 77.67)

Last 12 months: 158.48 inches. (i.e. 01AUG05-31JUL06)

(And the 12 mo period ending a year ago, i.e. 01AUG04-31JUL05: 135.34 inches).

So far, so good!

Hi Bo,

I converted your 2006 rainfall total (so far) to metric which becomes 2229.5 mm.

Here’s some of our local rainfall totals (Jan to July 2006)

Brisbane 413.6 mm (Here’s mine, doing it tough)

Coolangatta (Gold Coast)  1401.8 mm (Here’s Daryl, swamped)

Toowoomba 267.8 mm (Here’s my sister in law, who cares)

Bundaberg 635.2 mm (Here’s where I would like to live)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Interesting! Excuse my ignorance, but how far away from Bundaberg are you? And why do you want to live there?

Bo-Göran

(bgl @ Aug. 02 2006,01:26)

Wal,

Interesting! Excuse my ignorance, but how far away from Bundaberg are you? And why do you want to live there?

Bo-Göran

Hi Bo

It's just outside Bundaberg I'd like to live, around Childers closer to the coast near Woodgate. Brisbane to Bundy (as we call it) is about 380 kilometres. For me the right climate and not too far away from family in Brisbane and Sunshine Coast hinterland.

Here's a map I found.

seqldmap.gif

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bo - It was wet July on my little patch.  I logged over 20" last month!  This is the rainy season of course, but that is still way above average for July (which is roughly 8" I believe).

Larry 

Tampa has had 762 mm (30 in) of rain thus far in 2006.  Hardly a rainforest.

Yes...Ive noticed that the airport has not gotten the same deluges as of late that I have over here in Tarpon Springs.   I believe the Tampa airport only got half of the rainfall I did last month.  Ill certainly take it :D

Larry 

The summer has dried up lately.  The rainfall still comes but more sporadically.  For awhile there, I hadn't needed to irrigate.  Times have changed.

Ray

About rain here, July was very and very dry. A lot of plants and grass from nature are turning brown and lose her leaves. In the garden here i got i think so 6 mm of rain that's about 0.23 Inch of rain. But last sunday weather is totally otherwise a lot of cooler weather en a lot of rain at the tuntherstorms. Totall form 1 and 2 August is already 37 mm, thats 1.45 Inch of rain.

The predicted for tonight and tomorrow night again a lot of rain, next saturdat they expect the sun is coming back and higher tempetures ...

Southwest

• 2 weeks later...

Bo,

I have been trying to locate the accumulated percipitation for Manaus for 2006, but as yet I have not found it.  At any rate it has been quite dry here.  As mentioned in another thread you get about twice the percipation that we do.  Our average is around 2000 mm or 80 inches per year.  Since the dry season started in earnst around June 1 it has rained very little.  This morning we had fog around town.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some updated rainfall figures:

Last 24 hours: 0.39 inches

Last 48 hours: 0.61 inches

Last 72 hours: 0.76 inches

Last 7 days: 1.86 inches

Aug 2006: 8.77 inches (Aug 2005: 10.31 inches).

Year-to-date: 97.95 inches (same period 2005: 87.98)

Last 12 months: 156.94 inches. (i.e. 01SEP05-31AUG06)

(And the 12 mo period ending a year ago, i.e. 01SEP04-31AUG05: 137.67 inches).

The August average for the last ten years stands at 9.16 inches, so August has been a pretty normal month without any extremes. Another great month in paradise....

It was the 'Gumboot Festival' last weekend here in Tully.

Checked out some facts and figures on the big sign near the giant golden gumboot . It stands nearly 8 m tall , thats pretty close to 26' , and thats the record annual rainfall for Tully way back when [forget date]

Another fantastic figure is highest rainfall for 48 hrs of 52" !!

Average annual figure is 4.5m nearly 15'.

post-354-1157635671_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Up to 42 inches here as of Sept. 5 and well on the way to the 50" yearly average.  September is the last month to get significant rainfall before the dry months of October and November.

As of this morning we got up to just over 100 inches so far for the year. (100.12 inches to be exact).

With all this talk about rain, I figured what's more appropriate than a couple of photos! Both are taken from our front lanai (20 minutes ago), so I didn't even have to get wet. This is looking straight down our main driveway, with a row of Neoveitchia storckii on the left, a few more on the right and also some Clinostigmas.

post-22-1157683010_thumb.jpg

And this is looking just a little bit to the left. The row of N. storckii is still visible, on the right side of the photo, and the group of palms to the left of them include Clinostigma samoense and Veitchia arecina. The taller palms in the background with the real green trunks are Pigafetta elata.

post-22-1157683150_thumb.jpg

Cant comment on the subject technically as I have no first hand knowledge but I sure like the "Leilani" music and lyrics .

Regards to beautiful Leilani

Jon

Juan

Just about reached the 50" mark three months ahead of schedule.  With a wetter than normal fall expected due to El Nino, we could approach the 60" mark.

With about 16" at my house so far in September, no complaints here!

Unfortunately over 9" of that total came in about 36 hours though.

Larry 

Still dry at the 300' level of Wai`anae Valley.  Only 0.1" rain this month.  Upper valley has seen rain but no way to measure

Hey Kona Al.  How is it on your west side?  Dry I bet.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Steve, I'll answer for Al. I have a friend with a weather station at the same elevation as Al, just a little north in Holualoa. Monthly rain (Sept)---2.6 inches. year to date---29.7 inches.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes