IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

21f here right now

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Down to 26 in So. Louisiana at 9:30pm and counting down to 22. No heaters will help here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

propane heaters don't help much...

I have had them on every night we have gone below freezing, one on each of 3 palms my 22 ft foxylady, 18 ft foxtail, and spindle. The night we hit 26F I still had major damage to all but the spindle... they are on right now as I type, but I think I am mainly going though the motions ... probably wasting propane...but I have them so might as well try.... I'm just not sure how much they actually help, as most of the heat disspates,and radiates into SPACE!!!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Well, just about to officially freeze here....32F and a few tenths at 1130PM. The only question now is how bad the freeze will be in the AM. I am having a hard time believing the forecast low of 30F, but hey, maybe they know something we dont! Maybe some clouds will arrive, or perhaps some favorable winds......

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

36.7F at 11:28pm. Still steady breeze outside, but not as strong as earlier. Very cold out. Never broke out of the 40's today. I think I topped out at 49F. The morning can't come soon enough and hoping it warms up quickly.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Bobby,

I think the Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge on the Big Island might be able to use a few volunteers.

cobra,

Mebbe you need to get interested in camellias?

bluffton,

you're in the far north, so far as wild saw palmettos go. Botanists from the Carolinas have tended to scour your area for tender native plants at the north ends of their distributions.

You're right. We're in the only county in SC with native saw palmettos. They're all over the place in the woods behind our house. But, like in Florida, they get no respect. The palmettos will be the only palms here not screaming tonight. I imagine all of the fan palms in the yard will be tan next week, except for the filifera.

You're right. We're in the only county in SC with native saw palmettos. They're all over the place in the woods behind our house. But, like in Florida, they get no respect.

They might be getting alot more <<Aretha Franklin voice on>> R-E-S-P-E-C-T <<Aretha Franklin voice off>> in the very foreseeable future!

Larry 

Well, just about to officially freeze here....32F and a few tenths at 1130PM. The only question now is how bad the freeze will be in the AM. I am having a hard time believing the forecast low of 30F, but hey, maybe they know something we dont! Maybe some clouds will arrive, or perhaps some favorable winds......

Larry,

I'm with you, finding it hard to beleive the forecast LOW! They were so dead on about the forecast highs in the low 40's today, when it never got above 36 over here!

Looking at a water vapor imagine it looks like the clouds are about to clear and I don't see the wind shifting from the north!

9:00 AM is still a very LONG way off, 30.5F here at 11:30PM!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

They were so dead on about the forecast highs in the low 40's today, when it never got above 36 over here!

Theyll get by on a technicality here......I checked my plots and the high of 42.8F was reached a little after midnight......so I guess that counts. Gotta give em something......

Larry 

When the overnight low in Jacksonville is colder than NY in the winter, "We have a problem"

Doc2.doc

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Well, it's dropped down to 34*'s now at 1:10 pm. I guess our high was 35* unless something changes real fast!

Well my high, unless something changes radically was 42.2 at exactly 12:00 AM (midnight) last night.

I guess that is what "they" meant for the forecast high of 43F for today? :lol:

Oh by the way it is SLEETING here again at 34.1F, had been raining!

Larry ,

I noted that around 2:00 this afternoon, but we know damn well that was NOT what they meant!! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

It seems some very slight wisps of wind have developed (very slight), but it seems to be enough to halt the temp drop (for now)....still buzzing around 32F with a few more tenths.

But, whats disconcerting is the dewpoint.....its dropping.

post-200-1263097894_thumb.png

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Well, it's dropped down to 34*'s now at 1:10 pm. I guess our high was 35* unless something changes real fast!

Well my high, unless something changes radically was 42.2 at exactly 12:00 AM (midnight) last night.

I guess that is what "they" meant for the forecast high of 43F for today? :lol:

Oh by the way it is SLEETING here again at 34.1F, had been raining!

Larry ,

I noted that around 2:00 this afternoon, but we know damn well that was NOT what they meant!! :winkie:

No.....really......its what they meant :mrlooney:

WEATHERMEN!

Sorry....couldnt resist stealing your line......just sayin'........

Ooops! Just stole another :mrlooney:

Larry 

11:00 pm.........31 degrees (it just fell below freezing about an hour ago) Wind still pretty strong around 10 mph from the North. Unless this wind backs off, I don't think frost is going to be a problem. Now I'm hoping it will not get below 25 tonight (my lowest for this entire event).

It is really odd that over towards the Jacksonville area seems to be colder than we are. Highly unusual.......but then nothing about this has been usual.

Duration of this cold event(s) is really becoming an issue. At least daytime temps have gone above freezing every day.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I just got back from the bar....it is still 33F here at 145AM, it says it is holding, but I doubt that will be my low. :blink:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Oh, and the heater in my house isnt working. Thank god I have a hardcore space heater for my room.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Oh, and the heater in my house isnt working. Thank god I have a hardcore space heater for my room.

Christian,

Do you have any long underwear. They are a real help. In fact when I used to live in São Paulo I used them at home as well. It can get down near freezing in São Paulo and since the houses are made entirely of brick normally, that is including the interior walls, once they cool down it is like living in a refridgerator. And, no one there has any kind of heating except the kitchen stove.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Just a note. The SW winds have hit the high plains of Montana and the night is considerably warmer than Florida.

Great Falls, Montana

Currently At 12:06AM

Clear

40°F

RealFeel®

26°F

Winds: SW

at 18mph

Clear

Humidity: 62%

Dew Point: 28° F

Pressure: 30.20 in

Visibility: 10 Miles

In Montana the Chinook winds flip the temperatures from below zero to above freezing in a matter of hours. Hopefully they will hit the Florida soon.

This is a famous painting by cowboy artist Charles Russell.

Waiting for a Chinook, the last of 5,000. Maybe palm growers can relate.

WaitingforaChinook.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

It seems some very slight wisps of wind have developed (very slight), but it seems to be enough to halt the temp drop (for now)....still buzzing around 32F with a few more tenths.

But, whats disconcerting is the dewpoint.....its dropping.

Those winds that I saw developing late last night ended up staying and having a NW component to them. Apparently some clouds came in as well as the temp bottomed a tad below freeezing (31.6F) around 120AM, then started steadily rising to ~37F at 520AM.

I guess I have to apologize to the aforementioned and maligned weathermen :mrlooney:

Larry 

Well, 36f at 0500, 35.9 at 0535 here at the Flatts, and chilly in the Banana Cabana to say the least.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

I went to bed disgusted at 28F in the back/30F front and awoke to 35.6F in the back and 36F in the front with a slight breeze and some cloud cover. Something changed. Although I was not as lucky as Larry, this is GREAT news! However, there is still tonight - and the duration of the event. Temps are colder inland. Greg :-)) sorta smiley

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Sounds like things aren't as bad as could be.

MIA--36F @ 5:53

WPB--32F @ 5:53

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I went to bed disgusted at 28F in the back/30F front and awoke to 35.6F in the back and 36F in the front with a slight breeze and some cloud cover. Something changed. Although I was not as lucky as Larry, this is GREAT news! However, there is still tonight - and the duration of the event. Temps are colder inland. Greg :-)) sorta smiley

Yeah, something did change. It seems as if there was a very slight warming here too.

From the NWS:

Albert Whitted Airport 36F

St. Pete/Clw Airport 35F

Miami, Kendall Executive Airport 35F (!!)

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Baby its cold out there!!! 33.3F at 6:40am. Looking East for that sun to pop up.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Well, 35.6 at 0640, not the precipitous downhill slide i was fearing, so far so good.

Rusty

Rusty Bell

I just took a quick run around the yard. No frost or ice ANYWHERE. Still a fairly good breeze and cloud cover. VERY good news!!!! Breathing major sigh of relief.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

Next Tuesday, this will ALL be a lousy memory!

Dr. Paul

Yep, one stinkin' memory and a stinkin' pile of mush. :angry:

Paul, I am very sorry to hear of the problems you are facing and hope that you can get through this. No worries about what you called your "acidic-toned missives" - and no smacking yourself either.

37.4 degrees F. now right outside, @ 06:55 AM in my landscape ; cloudy; strong NW wind at 30 MPH (no frost with that wind) but incredible wind chills! Epic statewide event!

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I just took a quick run around the yard. No frost or ice ANYWHERE. Still a fairly good breeze and cloud cover. VERY good news!!!! Breathing major sigh of relief.

"Zone Ten," from your area & down from about US 441 & east should have your similar report. West of your area to Okeechobee it looks like about 30 F. West of Okeechobee to I-75 (north) brings you into upper 20's; to I-75 (south/west) Alligator Alley to Immokalee: mid to upper 20's F. Thousand islands to Ft. Myers, looks to be about 30 F. Freeze for 4-8 hours. North of Ft. Myers...all mid upper 20's to near 30 F. at beachfront. VERY HOMOGINIZED TEMPERATURES DUE TO STRONG WINDS STATEWIDE.

Tonight MIGHT be OK for east 1/3 of Palm Bch Co. as well as eastern 1/3 Broward & eastern 2/3 Miami-Dade Cos. but only if cloudcover holds. We'll lose the wind later Sunday & it WILL be variably clear. By Monday night you might breathe even better! By Tues. night your breathimg will be better yet!

Dr. Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

"Zone Ten," from your area & down from about US 441 & east should have your similar report. West of your area to Okeechobee it looks like about 30 F. West of Okeechobee to I-75 (north) brings you into upper 20's; to I-75 (south/west) Alligator Alley to Immokalee: mid to upper 20's F. Thousand islands to Ft. Myers, looks to be about 30 F. Freeze for 4-8 hours. North of Ft. Myers...all mid upper 20's to near 30 F. at beachfront. VERY HOMOGINIZED TEMPERATURES DUE TO STRONG WINDS STATEWIDE.

Tonight MIGHT be OK for east 1/3 of Palm Bch Co. as well as eastern 1/3 Broward & eastern 2/3 Miami-Dade Cos. but only if cloudcover holds. We'll lose the wind later Sunday & it WILL be variably clear. By Monday night you might breathe even better! By Tues. night your breathimg will be better yet!

Dr. Paul

I'd feel alot more comfortable if I had your 37F. But I'm glad I'm not just a little further north and east, as they have been below freezing for a couple hours now. Looking at the NWS temperature graph, that Lake O heat island effect really helped us again in this area. Temps still dropping though and now at 32.9F, but those wind chills are brutal. Will be interesting to see how things fare over time with the cold, wind chills, and extended cold spell. This is the coldest and longest stretch of cold I've experienced since moving here 12 years ago.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

26.7 degrees N. latitude

32 at 7:45, rain left on a car out front froze solid on some sides of the car, yet total liquid on other sides. Overall much better then I thought when it was 36 at 10pm last night

Edited by redant

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Looks like we bottomed out at around 23* here last night. Last Thursday was colder at 19.6*. Now they are saying tomorrow will be colder... I guess it depends on the clouds and the wind. I noticed we had a slight breeze and some cloud cover when I looked out at around 6:30 am. Still a good bit of frost and my fountain and 2 small ponds are all froze over.

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida

Those winds that I saw developing late last night ended up staying and having a NW component to them. Apparently some clouds came in as well as the temp bottomed a tad below freeezing (31.6F) around 120AM, then started steadily rising to ~37F at 520AM.

I guess I have to apologize to the aforementioned and maligned weathermen :mrlooney:

No such apology here sorry, I am currently at 29.8F at 8:30 AM... 30.7F at 12:00 (midnight) 28.1F at 7:30 AM

My actual low was 28.1F

Larry they still didn't get yours right, as I beleive I saw you were forecast to hit 28F by the NWS weren't you?They just missed yours to the GOOD! just sayin :mrlooney:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Yeah, something did change. It seems as if there was a very slight warming here too.

Winds and clouds...........can I get an "AMEN"!?!?!??!

It looks like the true lows were reached in most places in the wee wee hours of the morning (in other words, the time at which Mr. Kingfish Christian returns from his bar crawls) , with slow warmups approaching sunrise. I still saw the usual slight dip a tad before sunrise, but this is academic.

Lets see if we can get lucky yet one more time tonight.

Larry 

The slide stopped at 35.5 at sunrise, and rising now to 36.2 at 0837...sure never thought i would consider that a warm up, but i'll take it........lucked out on this one, another night to go.....

Rusty

Rusty Bell

No such apology here sorry, I am currently at 29.8F at 8:30 AM...

My actual low was 28.1F

Larry they still didn't get yours right, as I beleive I saw you were forecast to hit 28F by the NWS.They just missed yours to the GOOD! just sayin :mrlooney:

The last I checked, the forecast said 30F by NWS, so they missed it low by a little less than 2F. Ill take it!

But, WU and Weather.com both did say upper 20's, so we can bash them a little more if desired :mrlooney:

Larry 

It looks like the true lows were reached in most places in the wee wee hours of the morning (in other words, the time at which Mr. Kingfish Christian returns from his bar crawls) , with slow warmups approaching sunrise. I still saw the usual slight dip a tad before sunrise, but this is academic.

AMEN, brother.......hey, btw, we should get Christian to be our 02:00 weather reporter, and the rest of us could sleep in! :lol:

Rusty

Rusty Bell

AMEN, brother.......hey, btw, we should get Christian to be our 02:00 weather reporter, and the rest of us could sleep in! :lol:

Rusty

Ill pay for his bar crawls if he can guarantee the same fortuitious result :mrlooney:

Larry