IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

[i]"Well, I never felt more like singing the blues,

'cause I never thought that I'd ever lose

my dear palms"

10 a.m. - 39.6 and rain

11:15 - 40.6 and rain

11.45 - 40.3 and rain

Stop raining, dammit!

Sorry.

How can I cover my palms unless the rain stops and the sun comes out to dry them? In all my years in FL I've never seen it rain at 50F or less. Low tonight is forecast to be 31. I can tell from experience (forgotten irrigation) that wet palms + freezing temps = Death.

I'm thinking keep raining, keep the cloud cover for as long as possible, might be the only thing that spares me. I could be wrong on this but I can't wrap so KEEP THE CLOUDS PLEASE.

YES YES YES!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I know what you mean, still cloudy and 35* at 12:15.

I just looked up the record low high temps for Tarpon Springs. For today and tomorrow they are 43 and 46F respectively.

Me thinks these records will fall, and do so dramatically!

Larry 

[i]"Well, I never felt more like singing the blues,

'cause I never thought that I'd ever lose

my dear palms"

10 a.m. - 39.6 and rain

11:15 - 40.6 and rain

11.45 - 40.3 and rain

Stop raining, dammit!

Sorry.

How can I cover my palms unless the rain stops and the sun comes out to dry them? In all my years in FL I've never seen it rain at 50F or less. Low tonight is forecast to be 31. I can tell from experience (forgotten irrigation) that wet palms + freezing temps = Death.

Yes, if not tomorrow morning, Monday morning for sure, I should be singing the blues: cry, cry, cry, cry, over you (my palms and tropicals).

I'm in my 13th winter here in Highlands County and I've never, ever experienced 36 degrees at 12:23 p.m. and rain. It feels totally raw outside.

My cold protection techniques will not work if my palms don't dry out and I can recover them. I may even cover them wet (as long as the rain has stopped) as I don't see where it would be any worse than not covering them now at this juncture.

Well, I never felt more like running away (from all this horrid weather here in Highlands County)....

Mad about palms

Just got that latest updated low temps for Cape Coral:

Sunday night: 27* !!!!!

I'll lose everything: wiped out.

I'm so depressed.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Heres the bright side......if we do get wiped out.......

You know all the things in your yard you wished you did differently? Well, we just might get the chance to rectify these things.

Plus, Queens and Sabals will be "cool" palms again.

Trying hard to see the half full glass.......

Larry 

I'm getting predictions from 25 to 32, so I don't know what it will be. I do know that my big coconut is definitely toast no matter how I protect it. A full week of this, ending with multiple days cold and raining. I have brought all my potted coconuts in the garage where they have been for about a week now. There is good light in there and the temps are higher with no frost, so they are fine. This weather is awful. I can't believe Cape Coral might hit 27! How are the large coconuts around Lee county doing?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Might I need to change my signature to 9a/9b from 9b/10a?!?!?!?!??!

LOL

Larry, I changed mine in Jan 2007 from 10b to 10a... :(

Yep! That is why I keep mine at a 10a even though my average lowest temp for the past nine years is a low 10b (36F). In 2007 I had a low of 31F and it probably got a little lower on the north slope of my property. We will enjoy another day or two of low to mid 70's and then we will send it over to you guys in the east! I think you deserve some warm weather after what you have been through!

BobSDCA

San Diego

Sunset Zone 23, 10a

12:00 noon update from the Northwest Florida Panhandle. Clear skies, wind out of the north at around 10-15 mph. Temperatures 35 degrees. It ain't warming up here much folks, even with full blaring sun. I predict lower 20's here tonight.....the coldest this winter for me. I am wrapping Christmas lights and sheets during the day so I can do it properly and be ready for tonight.....

.....that reminds me, I gotta go get in some firewood......uhhgggg! :angry:

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Well, it's dropped down to 34*'s now at 1:10 pm. I guess our high was 35* unless something changes real fast!

Zone 9 Central Florida

Throw the FORECAST low for tonight out the window it is 1:20 PM here and my temps is 33.9F and still raining, has been below 35F since 7:00AM. How could you have any confidence in tonights predicted temps when they obviously didn't see this coming with a forecast high of 43F today? I have no idea how we will even get to 40F.

I was pretty much toast before today/tonight, but I feel bad for those who had been spared to this point, then have this crap happen!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

12:00 noon update from the Northwest Florida Panhandle. Clear skies, wind out of the north at around 10-15 mph. Temperatures 35 degrees. It ain't warming up here much folks, even with full blaring sun. I predict lower 20's here tonight.....the coldest this winter for me. I am wrapping Christmas lights and sheets during the day so I can do it properly and be ready for tonight.....

.....that reminds me, I gotta go get in some firewood......uhhgggg! :angry:

Same here, 35. Predicting 21 tonight and tomorrow night as well, so I suspect you can expect that same. Some of that earlier cold weather may have been a blessing hardening things off a bit.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Just got that latest updated low temps for Cape Coral:

Sunday night: 27* !!!!!

I'll lose everything: wiped out.

I'm so depressed.

Meg, i hope for all our sakes that the forecast is not correct...

...and i feel your depression, but i have resigned myself to the fact that the paradise we have all created is tenuous and temporary...this cold has happened before, it is happening now, and it is certain that it will happen in the future.

Some plants will live some will die, and i will plant more when spring comes, because i desire that version of paradise....temporary though it may be.

Best of Luck this weekend...don't give up hope!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

It's only 50 degrees right now in Key West! Even when I was stationed there at the naval base in 1970 and 1971, I don't ever recall the daily temperature being that low, although I do recall it being in the mid or high 50s. Also, I do recall in January of 1971 the low was 47 degrees.

Check out the temps in Key West:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?C...81.7832&e=0

Mad about palms

Well, it's dropped down to 34*'s now at 1:10 pm. I guess our high was 35* unless something changes real fast!

Well my high, unless something changes radically was 42.2 at exactly 12:00 AM (midnight) last night.

I guess that is what "they" meant for the forecast high of 43F for today? :lol:

Oh by the way it is SLEETING here again at 34.1F, had been raining!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

just finnaly got to 35 degrees even with a big bright sun and clear skies. wind chill 28 degrees.

My needle palms and Sabals are looking really good right now! :wub::mrlooney:

can't believe all this is happening!

Edited by FRITO

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Another all-time, unprecedented weather record for me today. It's been holding at 36 degrees now since 8 a.m. -- and it's 2:28 p.m. now!

For me, this certainly isn't an advective event, as my wind speed has been averaging 2-3 degrees all day. I'm wondering (hoping) all this rain I'm getting today might help hold up temperatures tonight, once the temperature falls to 32 degrees and the rain starts freezing and giving off its latent heat of fusion. Somehow I doubt it.

Mad about palms

I just walked out for a few minutes and am quite sure that there were snow flurries in the air... you could see it falling, but couldn't really feel it hitting you, as it seemed to disappear. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't your average rain sprinkles and it wasn't sleet. Weird stuff going on right now! I'm a Florida native and I'm feeling as though I'm not in Florida right now. It's 34* now at 2:40 pm, it did drop to 33* at one point, just a little while ago. It's been bouncing up and down between 33*-35* all day!

Edited by JayW

Zone 9 Central Florida

yes high here won't reach 40 unless skies clear fast. kinda bummed about the snow no-show here, but baby it is cold outside; this winter still holds similar to 2000-01 stretch, lows to 30f for a couple morns have damaged the usual suspects (Elaeis, Veitchia, giant Corypha); nothing yet to Beccario, A.horrida both over roofline or nearby mature A.mexicanum (this one I'm tempted to go cover); but tonight/next morn advective cold could change that a bit, this type of freeze much more dangerous than any radiational cold. Last time I went thru this was a 25f low but it warmed up the next day.

This (so far) doesn't appear to be a repeat of '89's back to back 19/20f lows. Still all that wind driven cold cuts across any microclimates we have, and under protective canopies. Last time I lost large Euterpe edulis, some tall mature Chamaedorea, it defoliated the Howea, Archonto. cunninghams, spared just about nothing. Protection is almost useless, just have to sit there & take it. Watch for dark green blotching "inside" the fronds of your palms - some of the more cold hardy types react this way, then recover without a blemish. Here I've seed Dypsis decipiens, Liv nitida even Washingtonia and Trachy latisectus all do this.

Lots to be learned - did previous light freezes "harden off" foliage? What palms can recover from back to back freezes? How will the many newer sps planted respond to prolonged cold, or to wet cold? E.g. I have a Nannorrhops outside, and a 15g B.armata. Also trialing some Burr. hapala, Tahina (which should grow back from underground), Reinhardtia, some Cryosophila, some of the mountain forms of Caryota, and some var.'s of Dypsis mada. to decent size. An unprecedented six yr run of freezeless winters here came to an end last Jan. But that was just a warning salvo, now we are balancing yin-yang style. My plan is to hang a six-pack out the window, whip up a few chili dogs & catch some football on the TV. Hopeful its at least snowing there ...

PS - anyone heard from Ray? Would imagine he is catatonic by now, perhaps I should call him.

- dave

Well, I might move To Juneau AK because it was hotter there than here in Tampa Bay. 48F in Juneau, temps in the 30's all day. High may have been after midnight at 39F? I've been here since 1988 and never seen anything like this. In 1989, that freeze occurred over 2-3 days and was gone. The rest of the winter was warm. I have pics of snow on my car then. I am soooooo cold.........Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the accumulated sleet on a non-ground surface. The snow did not accumulate.

Brevard County, Fl

Woohoo, the sun is starting to peek here. It's strange, b/c I've been at just over 40F most of the afternoon, but Brooksville AP (about 5 miles away) is at 36.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I wrapped one palm and that's it. I mean, when the forecast a week ago predicted TEN days in a row of freezing to near freezing temps, I realized there's just nothing that can be done to combat this kind of weather. I could not fathom trying to wrap 100 palms in the freezing cold and leaving them like that for 10 days, much less repeating that every night because I've been working 16 hour days lately.

I, for one, am far more concerned about my lack of personal comfort since my inside temperature has been in the upper 50s all week WITH space heaters, and the fact that my electric bill will be 5x normal this month :( (about 1/3 the amount I spent to buy all of the palms I currently have)

Right now I am focused on finding a decent neighborhood in Miami close to someplace that I might want to work, for my move there in 3.5 years.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

39.0 at 4 p.m. It's still raining. Local forecast says clouds and rain till 10 p.m. - 1 a.m. before clearing. No way can I cover any plants, so they are on their own. My husband & I spent the last hour pulling in broms and select Coccothrinax seedlings. I'm taking a decaf break, then we will start on larger/valuable succulents. BTW, the high today was a balmy 40.6.

At this point I can only pray the cloud cover hangs in overnight to keep our low higher than projected 31. Then we can regroup tomorrow and consider our options. If I ever complain about summer heat again, remind me to kick myself.

Meg

Florida

[quote name='surgeon83' date='Jan 9 2010, 03:53 PM' post='361344'

I, for one, am far more concerned about my lack of personal comfort since my inside temperature has been in the upper 50s all week WITH space heaters, and the fact that my electric bill will be 5x normal this month :( (about 1/3 the amount I spent to buy all of the palms I currently have)

Right now I am focused on finding a decent neighborhood in Miami close to someplace that I might want to work, for my move there in 3.5 years.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

NWS forecast tonight for Titusville is 30F, tomorrow night 35F??? :hmm:

I think it's some kind of cruel JOKE!!!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Meg made a point - do not cover your plants if it is wet outside! Those plants need to transpire that water, and cloth will hold it in. Windy weather will not dessicate wet plants, and tomorrow covering would be a good idea. It is 41 here and honestly I am just letting things go because there is not much I can do other than open my entire house and set the heat to the max.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I can't believe what I'm reading on this board with those Florida temps.. yikes... I really feel for you guys - these are our "Normal" winter temps and I'm still freezing my B**S off. - and we're not that much colder (maybe 5-8 degrees).. What's going on with the earth? very strange...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I'm just curious as to the drain on FPL with the Electric Heat demand everyone must be putting on the grid. I know almost everyone has electric heat down there.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

I'm just curious as to the drain on FPL with the Electric Heat demand everyone must be putting on the grid. I know almost everyone has electric heat down there.

Bobby, yesterday Lee County Electric Co-op registered the highest draw ever for a winter day. Today has to be even worse. And electric heat costs 3x A/C. Electric bills are going to the moon.

Meg

Florida

NWS projection for 7:00 am Monday is 29F for Southwest Palm Beach County :sick: Anyone have a good source for Conifers? I just wanna puch Al Gore!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Meg made a point - do not cover your plants if it is wet outside! Those plants need to transpire that water, and cloth will hold it in. Windy weather will not dessicate wet plants, and tomorrow covering would be a good idea. It is 41 here and honestly I am just letting things go because there is not much I can do other than open my entire house and set the heat to the max.

Christian, it has stopped raining and sky is brightening, temp is now 39.4. Later this evening after palm leaves start drying out, I will probably do two things:

1. Place a tall step ladder next to my 10' Areca concinna in the back yard. Then clamp a couple of shop lights with spotlight bulbs onto the ladder and direct them up toward the crown of the palm. As low is predicted to be 30F at 4 a.m. I hope the warmth from the lights will give it the few extra degrees for survival.

2. For the 5' L. grandis in the front garden, I will run a small heater toward the trunk. And I will focus a couple of gooseneck lamps on the fronds with the same hope: give it enough warmth to pull through.

Other than that, everything is on its own. Tomorrow is another day.

Meg

Florida

NWS forecast tonight for Titusville is 30F, tomorrow night 35F??? :hmm:

I think it's some kind of cruel JOKE!!!

NWS projection for 7:00 am Monday is 29F for Southwest Palm Beach County :sick: Anyone have a good source for Conifers? I just wanna puch Al Gore!

NWS obviously has some wires crossed to have you forecast a degree COLDER than Titusville? :hmm:

Actually I just noticed you said Monday morning...that would make them having you 6 degrees COLDER!!!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

honestly, and to be quite frank, I would be suprised to see brevard county temps staying above 30F on the coast and 25F inland; we just had a 36F high temperature today!!!!!!

Brevard County, Fl

The wind predicted for tonight is an obstacle to covering plants. Unfortunately, NWS has slipped the predicted low temperature down to 30 degrees, so I'm thinking of putting frost clot over the begonias anyway, with bricks for anchorage.

NWS tends to adjust predicted temperatures almost up until they happen.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Jim,

That was kinda my point ..no way our LOW is going to 30 or above tonight!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Were out driving around Sarasota and Bradenton running errands between 11AM and 2:30PM. The outside temp gage in the car stayed between 34 and 39 the whole time. One note of observation: out of the three dypsis species I encountered while driving (lots of arecas, some triangles and one teddy bear) only some arecas showed any signs of damage. All triangles I saw and a teddy bear (in northern bradenton by the river) looked OK. I kind of always thought that lutescens was the hardiest of them all. Maybe my samples are not statistically accurate, since lutescens is everywhere and there are only so few of the others

I'm not sure I can afford to replace 7 yrs of collecting these tropicals. I don't think I want to after seeing this...I kind of equate it to watching your house burn down. My yard is my living room, I actually enjoy my yard more than my house and spend more time out there. I'm just sick about this. Seeing what damage I have already, I'm pretty sure I'll have huge losses come mid week. :bummed::sick:

Let's hope for the best

currently 36.5 in NE St. Pete @ 5:50pm

Bren in South St. Pete Florida