IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Persistent Cold Air in Florida

gsytch

Good luck everyone..But for once I have to gloat. Wish I could share some with ya... I left the house just after 7am to see 50F and it touched maybe 73F at my place today... :D

I can beat that. A min of 73F and a max of 91F with high humidity. :mrlooney:

Tyrone,

That is just another winters day average temperature range here. Well, winter is pushing it. But, that is what the locals call it.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

32F here at Leu Gardens this morning. I hope our luck holds up. I was really worried, they were predicting 27-28F last night and it only got to 47F yesterday for a high. I left work around 6:30 pm last night and the temperature was already down to 42.

The predicted lows for Sat and Sun have eased up a bit, hope it continues that way. Bananas/traveler tree/elephant ear foliage on the way into work this morning looked mostly green.

Summary so far for 2010;

Jan. 1 68 47

Jan. 2 59 39

Jan. 3 47 36

Jan. 4 52 33

Jan. 5 47 35

Jan. 6 32

Eric--

That's great (if cold weather can ever be called that...) news! Hope the next wave isn't any colder.

Even though we have very common stretches of cool weather here in SoCal in the winter (uhmm...like most of the time), we rarely have them that cold for that long. Add 10F to each of those numbers and you might have a typical week here.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

This should be very interesting to see the effects of this long term cold on Tropicals. This is a combo of reported temperatures at PBI(ie-coldhole) and predicted for our area:

Jan.1-79/51

Jan.2-62/43

Jan.3-63/42

Jan.4-58/39

Jan.5-56/37

Jan.6-57/35-High predicted and the rest are predictions

Jan.7-63/45

Jan.8-67/43

Jan.9-60/38-42

Jan.10-low 60's/38-42

Jan.11-mid 60's/49-53

Jan.12-lower 70's

I cannot remember such a long-term time of continuous low but not freezing temperatures. The effects of this on so many of the tropicals is what will reveal itself down the road. I was stupid to believe I liked this cool stuff!

What you look for is what is looking

Port St. John, 26; Rockledge, 29; Merritt Island, 32; and 30 in Port St. Lucie West.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

32.5 in Jupiter and for the record Satakentia liukiuensis are wimps with cold. I bought them because they are suppose to be frost tolerant but the last three years they always burn up in the winter. My biggest is already bronzed up from last night even though most of my inpatients made it through.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

38 for the low in Boca Raton last night, although I'm concerned with my Neoveitchia. :wub: It finally started a growth spurt the past few months. The "renda tent" never went below 50. :D Is a light watering OK for the more newly planted?? Best of luck to all! Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

This should be very interesting to see the effects of this long term cold on Tropicals. This is a combo of reported temperatures at PBI(ie-coldhole) and predicted for our area:

Jan.1-79/51

Jan.2-62/43

Jan.3-63/42

Jan.4-58/39

Jan.5-56/37

Jan.6-57/35-High predicted and the rest are predictions

Jan.7-63/45

Jan.8-67/43

Jan.9-60/38-42

Jan.10-low 60's/38-42

Jan.11-mid 60's/49-53

Jan.12-lower 70's

I cannot remember such a long-term time of continuous low but not freezing temperatures. The effects of this on so many of the tropicals is what will reveal itself down the road. I was stupid to believe I liked this cool stuff!

My guess (and that's exactly what it is) is that most everything will be ok, especially anything mature. Some plants may lose leaves from going into shock since your weather turned on a dime with no transition cool down. Hibiscus is one plant that hates quick changes in weather. I know from experience when we go from 65F with humidity to Santa Ana's and 85F with low humidity that some plants drop some to all their leaves. Crotons seem to be ok when that happens.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It hit 35 degrees this morning at about 6:30 am in the Acreage (north of Wellington). I brought in my Sealing Wax palm, but I didn't protect anything else. The sprinklers went on this morning, so hopefully that helped. The previous morning was about 38. :angry:

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

It hit 35 degrees this morning at about 6:30 am in the Acreage (north of Wellington). I brought in my Sealing Wax palm, but I didn't protect anything else. The sprinklers went on this morning, so hopefully that helped. The previous morning was about 38. :angry:

I used to live at 71st Ln /N and Orange Av. I'd have expected even lower than 35F there with what the weather guessers are throwing around.

Best of luck in the next few days.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

NewPicture6.jpg

NewPicture8.jpg

Thanks for the excellent map summaries for ex-pats now living in exile, er, SoCal...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Just looked around on w/underground after seeing Jims' posts...

Looking at the data for some stations in Gainesville, Titusville was actually COLDER than some stations around Gainesville,not all but some...

Gainesville is WAY inland, and WAY far north of me WTH???

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Just looked around on w/underground after seeing Jims' posts...

Looking at the data for some stations in Gainesville, Titusville was actually COLDER than some stations around Gainesville,not all but some...

Gainesville is WAY inland, and WAY far north of me WTH???

I was watching the temperatures this morning and noticed that Jacksonville had stayed around 26-28 for several hours before finally dropping to around 21 in the last hour and a half before warming up. Titusville had roughly the same temperature as Jacksonville for most of the night. The NWS graphics show a cold pocket opened up over Brevard County, which supplied us with some 20’s readings.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

Although I don't want to "jinx" things, we did have a major reprieve here last night. The evening weather forecast from the Tampa station was very bad -- calling for a fairly hard freeze (27 - 32 degrees for a 4 to 6 hour duration) all the way south to Lee County -- even though the National Weather Service forecast has remained in the 35 to 39 degree range for each night throughout this event (it's very odd how the different weather services are forecasting such a variable range of temps for this event -- ?). However, when I went outside around 1:30 AM (expecting "the worst"...), it didn't feel "bitter" at all and, when I checked the temp at the near-by Wunderground.com personal weather station, it showed that the temperature was 42.5 degrees and had actually increased about 2 degrees since midnight (I'm sure due to the cloud cover moving in).

When I got up this morning, it was 43 at that personal weather station and the Sarasota airport was reporting 51 (I'm about half-way between these two stations) -- BIG difference from the previous evening's forecast. I did have very light frost on Monday morning (low of 35 or 36 degrees) -- as far as I can tell, it was only on my windshield since I didn't see any leaf impact at all on my tropical hibiscus and the banana tree leaves are still solid. The worst day so far was Sunday when the high here only hit 47 -- however, it may struggle to get/stay above 50 again today if the cloud cover remains all day (and then the forecast is for 34 to 36 degrees tonight so not much warming up at all for a 24 hour + period).

I piled damp mulch up high around the bases of all the small and/or sensitive palms I put into the ground this past year (most are under oak canopy), covered those in exposed areas and/or the ones that are possibly more susceptible to the long-term cold, and have brought in more and more potted stuff each day since Saturday so my garage looks like a forest right now (the Carpoxolyn and my maroon leaf Areca vestiaria were brought in yesterday as a result of Christian's recommendations here -- thanks...). At some point, I'm sure I'll end up bringing my Tahina spectabilis, Cyrtostachys renda, and Verschaffeltia splendida indoors, as well (just kidding... :rolleyes: -- those are in my "40 degree group" and are the first to see shelter from any cold event/risk).

Just my two cents worth for now...

Tim

Hey Tim--

Good to hear you're hanging in there! CNN was giving Tampa (airport?) as 27 this AM--yikes!!

Well...unfortunately that report was from Tuesday morning and, since my bird bath had a sheet of ice on it this morning, I'm pretty sure it did (finally...) get to the freeze mark in my yard last night...(and all the white stuff that was covering the grass and plants was also a clue :o )

However, it looks like it hung right at 32 and didn't get any colder -- the SRQ airport reported a low of 33 and the near-by wunderground personal weather station hit just a smidge below 32 (and their chart showed about 5 to 6 hours right at freezing). It was interesting to see how much area that was adjacent to (but not directly under) tree canopy did not get frost (for future planting plans).

Like pretty much everyone else, I'm in the "well...we'll see..." mode right now re: what the impact will be -- I'm hoping that the heavy mulch insulation will help buffer this sustained cold and, other than that, had just 3 or 4 plants that I really didn't like seeing the frost on this morning (as I had said, I was bringing in or covering more & more stuff each day right up until yesterday evening)

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Woohoo, we made it to 50F !!!! Its been almost 48 hours since the temperature was at 50.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I think we made it to 49! its currently 48 with a 4 DEGREE DEWPOINT!

airport recorded 17 last night. I am guessing I was in the low 20's....

split leaf philodendrons melted...

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

I hit 34 in my yard with three thermometers. I can handle that. It was 37 at 930 and 37 at 130 when I fell asleep, and 35 at 630, it dropped to 34 for an hour. It looked like someone had dusted diamonds on about a few hundred square feet of my backyard, but the bananas didn't burn, thats a good sign. Oddly it has been colder today than it is both north and south of me.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

NewPicture15.jpg

I love that it's 40F in the middle of the lake. That's very useful if you're growing Nypa Fruticans.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Thanks for the excellent map summaries for ex-pats now living in exile, er, SoCal...

It's not so bad being an exile this week, is it?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Things are really starting to show the damage now. Banana leaves melted, ginger and heliconias as well. Lots of damaged broms, have a crispy macaranga tree, crotons dropping leaves like crazy, palm fronds looking terrible. This sucks. :angry: I can't imagine what my yard will look like in a week...this is bad.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Hang in there guys. I wish you the best.

I love how Christian is ever the optimist describing frost as "a dusting of diamonds". Nice.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think we made it to 49! its currently 48 with a 4 DEGREE DEWPOINT!

airport recorded 17 last night. I am guessing I was in the low 20's....

split leaf philodendrons melted...

Honestly, it seems my thermometer is just electronically absolutely incapable of measuring more than 45F. Seriously, it just slooooowly climbs there and stops :mrlooney:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

crotons dropping leaves like crazy,

Ive been out of town through all this mess, so havent seen anything firsthand yet. But, the state of my Crotons is something I am curious about as Ive got quite a number of them. Perhaps I might be safer in saying I had a number of them?!?!?!? LOL

Larry 

I was going home and noticed the damage. This is damage east of US 41,

Burned completely: All Coconuts. The green malayans burned less than the yellow, but the burning is still there. All bananas except my ice cream banana were melted. Basil that was not in microclimates. Ginger

Burned slightly: Dwarf schleffera, crotons, one of my 4 Beccariophoenix alfredii (I suspect it was in a bad spot. It was in a pot, elevated 3 feet above the ground by a plastic table next to a plastic fence. It was also in the area with the most frost, so I think that contributed. The other 3 are untouched). Roystonea regia, some had leaf burning, others were fine. The taller they were, the less they burned. All Dypsis lutescens had a little burning, but nothing bad. Pineapples were burned

Not burned: Christmas palms, basil that was in the good spots, the planted Dictyosperma album I have on the SW side of the house under canopy, Carpentaria acuminata that was in a microclimate next to the house, other palms like queens and Sabals.

Some of my plants that were burned in some parts of the yard were fine in others, so now I know where my microclimates. The biggest microclimate I have is a raised planter, that is actually on the north side of the house. Plants that were there were fine, where other areas the same plants were burned. I think the elevation helps, as does the proximity to the house. There was no frost there this morning.

West of US 41 there was no frost, so no damage. Just shows how your proximity to the gulf helps out. My big coconut is completely burned, but the growing spear is green and healthy still, so it should live.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Things are really starting to show the damage now. Banana leaves melted, ginger and heliconias as well. Lots of damaged broms, have a crispy macaranga tree, crotons dropping leaves like crazy, palm fronds looking terrible. This sucks. :angry: I can't imagine what my yard will look like in a week...this is bad.

It will all come back with warmer weather. :)

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It will all come back with warmer weather. :)

And that will be when........July!?!?!?!

LOL

Honestly, this weather pattern is pure craziness! And, its going to continue for the forseeable future according to the forecasts. I think when this is over, and the data are tallied up, this pattern will set records.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

I was going home and noticed the damage. This is damage east of US 41,

Burned completely: All Coconuts. The green malayans burned less than the yellow, but the burning is still there. All bananas except my ice cream banana were melted. Basil that was not in microclimates. Ginger

Burned slightly: Dwarf schleffera, crotons, one of my 4 Beccariophoenix alfredii (I suspect it was in a bad spot. It was in a pot, elevated 3 feet above the ground by a plastic table next to a plastic fence. It was also in the area with the most frost, so I think that contributed. The other 3 are untouched). Roystonea regia, some had leaf burning, others were fine. The taller they were, the less they burned. All Dypsis lutescens had a little burning, but nothing bad. Pineapples were burned

Not burned: Christmas palms, basil that was in the good spots, the planted Dictyosperma album I have on the SW side of the house under canopy, Carpentaria acuminata that was in a microclimate next to the house, other palms like queens and Sabals.

Some of my plants that were burned in some parts of the yard were fine in others, so now I know where my microclimates. The biggest microclimate I have is a raised planter, that is actually on the north side of the house. Plants that were there were fine, where other areas the same plants were burned. I think the elevation helps, as does the proximity to the house. There was no frost there this morning.

West of US 41 there was no frost, so no damage. Just shows how your proximity to the gulf helps out. My big coconut is completely burned, but the growing spear is green and healthy still, so it should live.

Good report Keith.

When I get home, Ill take some pics of my wimpiest palm (P. pacifica) and post em up! Im guessing that palm is hammered! Its been a damn trooper though as Ive had it in the ground for ~5 years and I didnt think it would make it 1. This palm starts showing damage below ~45F, and dislikes passionately long cool stretches.

Larry 

at 26.3F,and serious FROST, I have some things that probably will not make it! Add the fact my forecast low for tonight is 28 to 30 depending on source?

22 ft Foxylady seriously burned even with additionial heat, 18 ft Foxtail also burned w/heat, surprisingly spindle looks pretty good with additional propane heat and fan, but time will tell.

No additional heat

other smaller foxtails fried

9-10 ft kentiopsis fried (was finally loooking pretty good from last winter)

2 large caryota mitis burned badly (last year hardly touched at a low of 28F)

20 ft Dypsis lutenscens fried

6 ft Carpentaria fried

hibiscus completely fried

you get the picture 26.3F and frost does not make for happy zone 10 palms and plants!!! :angry:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

One last thought; Saturday is predicted to bottom out at 29 with 30% chance of precipitation, so there's a good chance it will SNOW. Let's hope that after this weekend, we don't see temps like this again for a long time.

Keith 

One last thought; Saturday is predicted to bottom out at 29 with 30% chance of precipitation, so there's a good chance it will SNOW. Let's hope that after this weekend, we don't see temps like this again for a long time.

Yep, I heard that too! A chance of snow! It's been a while... like 33 yrs :wacko:

Zone 9 Central Florida

I really don't feel like researching records right now, as I (my tenderest palms and tropicals) got hammered last night/this morning, my low being 28.9 F, but I was camping out on Bahia Honda key in January of 1971 (don't know the exact day) and the temperature dropped to 47 degrees that night in Key West, where I was stationed at the now defunct naval base.

Some shipmate buddies and myself had a fire going outside our large tent -- and of course, we had lots of alcohol to drink to help cope with the cold, or at least so we thought.

But I recall sitting around the fire, shivering and looking at the swaying coconut palms -- and not being able to reconcile the sheer cold (I had become weather spoiled down there,and 47 degrees felt like 20 degrees) with the tropical palms. Something didn't fit at all. Sort of surreal.

I know the all-time low in Key West was 41 degrees. I can imagine what the locals must have felt like that day.

Mad about palms

Yeah, this really does suck. So far, you've had it worse than we have - it has to really hurt to see your beautiful plants looking like that. And tonight 'there's more cold on tap, which only increases the damage. Then, with highs barely grazing 50, and not for long, there's no warmup to help the tender tropicals recover. I, too, am getting nervous about how things will look in a week - not good, I'm afraid.

I did bring my croton collection indoors for the duration of the cold snap. I lost a number last year, with temps no lower than 36 IIRC, and I'm not taking chances with these.

Our low this morning was 35.2 out where the bottle palm is - which we didn't cover last night. Husband hurriedly covered it at 8 this morning and ran a small heater under the tent for a few minutes. Then we left the palm covered. He looked at this afternoon and says it is not damaged - for now.

The bottle in a pot out back - we should have brought it in. It has a few spots on the leaflets. I'll have a better report tomorrow if I have enough time before work to get out there and check it out.

The current NWS Discussion is pretty scary. It mentions a slight chance of "frozen mix" precip this weekend - frost is bad enough but that's even worse. One thing we don't need is the "4-letter S word" :angry: And Saturday night - they've just dropped the forecast low to 32 - for Lealman! :rage:

Somewhere in the Discussion, it mentions an "interesting" set-up. Whenever mets use the word "interesting" it'is not good.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

35.5 F here AGAIN at 8:00 PM ......1 /10 degree warmer than last night at this same time! :rage:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I was watching the world news on TV lastnight and the forecast for Miami was 4-14C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be equivalent to the worst Perth winter day that may come every 4 or 5 years, but generally after a day like that it usually warms up substantially maybe with a 20C day.

Reading this thread is actually very painful.

I hope you get no precipitation with this. Dry cold is one thing. Wet cold is much worse. :(

I would be watering nothing at the moment.

You guys in South Florida grow much more tropical stuff than I do. I think your marginal stuff is going to suffer, unless you have very good microclimates. For me Carpoxylons do not like to have prolonged cool and to be wet. They also don't like to totally dry out. It's going to be tricky finding the balance with a lot of species during this cold spell.

Let's hope it's not too prolonged and some decent warm temps around 80F come your way fast.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

35.5 F here AGAIN at 8:00 PM ......1 /10 degree warmer than last night at this same time! :rage:

Scott, it was sad to read about the damage to your palms - do you think any might recover? I guess it's unlikely, since the cold just goes on & on. Your temp at 8:00pm was only 3/10s of a degree warmer than our overnight low last night. But when your lows hit the 20's, that's when it really gets bad.

Walt, that was quite a story - a weird contrast, the swaying palm and the winter chill....

I know the all-time low in Key West was 41 degrees. I can imagine what the locals must have felt like that day.

The other night, the overnight low was reported to be 45F - in Havana! This cold is going to be a record-breaker.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I was watching the world news on TV lastnight and the forecast for Miami was 4-14C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be equivalent to the worst Perth winter day that may come every 4 or 5 years, but generally after a day like that it usually warms up substantially maybe with a 20C day.

Reading this thread is actually very painful.

I hope you get no precipitation with this. Dry cold is one thing. Wet cold is much worse. :(

I would be watering nothing at the moment.

You guys in South Florida grow much more tropical stuff than I do. I think your marginal stuff is going to suffer, unless you have very good microclimates. For me Carpoxylons do not like to have prolonged cool and to be wet. They also don't like to totally dry out. It's going to be tricky finding the balance with a lot of species during this cold spell.

Let's hope it's not too prolonged and some decent warm temps around 80F come your way fast.

Best regards

Tyrone

You are correct about how our normal winters are, where the temps get cold but get back up to the high 70's, low 80's the next day, so things are fine. Not this cold front though. It got down to 31 here last night, is predicted again tonight, thursday night isn't going to be too cold, but not warm, friday will be cold again, but not freezing, saturday will be cold, probably down to freezing, and could snow (!), and sunday will be probably freezing again. This, coupled with the fact that we have hardly broken 50 since sunday, and it is predicted to remain like this until next sunday spells bad trouble for tropicals. My area usually only sees one freeze every 2 years, but it could see 4 in one week, which is WAY out of the ordinary. Yet So Cal is having nice, pleasant temps. It looks as if we have switched climates!

Edited by Zeeth

Keith