IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Definition of tropical

Zeeth

Keith,

There are various definitions of tropical. But, from a strictly geographical perspecitve it has to do with latitude not altitude. And, that does not have anything to do with climate. Now if you are talking about climate than it is a different subject and has to do with temperature and even percipation possibly.

And, the only constant in life is change. Especially when talking about climate.

dk

I did mean climate wise, but there are definitely 2 completely different ways to talk about tropics. I tend to think that it's better to talk about it climate wise.

To look at it that way, I would think a very simple way to think of someplace as being "tropical", in the traditionally thought of sense of what "tropical" means to the average Joe----

Could one plan a trip there, with intents of spending time at the beach, without regard to looking at a calendar?

Larry,

How about if you can walk out your front door any day or night of the year and never need a jacket, sweater, or coat of any kind? I have a real problem now when going most places as I do not have hardly any clothes for even cooler weather any more. When I was standing in the open jet way in Great Falls, Montana a few weeks ago waiting to board the flight at 15 F below zero with only a light sport coat on I thought I was going to freeze stiff. It was only about 3 or 4 minutes, but it seemed forever until I got in the plane. It was so cold it stung my body and I could feel the cold in my bones.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Larry,

How about if you can walk out your front door any day or night of the year and never need a jacket, sweater, or coat of any kind?

That would probably work too :winkie:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I don't think just one classification will determine tropics. Michael is right, there are different type of tropicals. I grew up in equatorial tropics, now I live in monsoonal tropics. Cairns is wet tropics. Unfortunately, even though other places might be hot and humid, I don't think they can be classified as the tropics.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Don , yes , you have finally 'gone troppo' thats when you have no warm clothes [ie woollen jumper , overcoat etc'

you start feeling a chill when it gets close to 20 c and whine and moan when it falls into the teens .

I foolishly went down to Melbourne in cold temperate Victoria several years ago ..in JULY [ I know how stupid ]

And I could not feel my fingers for 3 days . Never again ! They say your blood thickens up [ doubt that ]

It takes a while to get used to the tropics , but it can be done .. one of my favourite quotes is in an old palm book , and goes something like this ... " man was meant to dwell in the tropics , and feast on the fruit of palms , Linnaeus ??

gos on then saying he is forced to live elsewhere and eat flesh ....

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Michael,

I love the people with the I love the 4 seasons philosophy. I do not miss having 4 seasons. I would rather live where it is hot and go visit the seasons when I want.

I do not miss scenes like this. But, for a few days they are ok. That is if you dress for the occaision.

10th Avenue South, Great Falls, Montana December 11, 2009. The temperature was a warm 09 F.

dk

IMG_2700.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg