IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

82F in san diego not bad for mid DEC.......

trioderob

Take your thermometer out of the sun dude.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Clicking around a lot of stations it looks like a lot of people have their sensors next to pavement or out in the sun. Several stations were reading 89F. The actual temp is about 78F or 79F in the Lemon Grove, La Mesa, College, Spring Valley area. Sorry, to jump on you but people having sensors out in the sun is one of my pet peaves. My dad will do that. It'll be 65F out and he's sayin' "wow, it's warming up pretty good out there. It's 80F" Yeah, ya think the fact that your sensor is mounted on the east wall of the house in direct sun might have something to do with that? Hey, it's 400F in my oven, must be the temp in my neighborhood. :mrlooney:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I put my sensor in the sun before and got over 120 in the Summer when it was "only 100" Awesome readings at times.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

I have a sensor in the sun and mine read 92F. The other in the shade read 78.6F (warm location in the yard). All in all, a very nice day. Going to be nice tomorrow as well.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

:rage: If one more person gives a reading from a sensor in the sun I'm gonna.... (I died)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt--

As far as I know wunderground only accepts readings from regulation weather-stations having professional radiation shielding. Readings from these stations (Vantage Pro, etc.) are quite accurate and I suspect that if there were false readings it was due to faulty equipment. My station is a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and its shielding does an amazing job. I'm on wunderground as well, and I often look around the wundermap for anomolous readings. There is amazing consistency from these pro stations, and when they are off they seem to be WAY off, and thus I think some equipment fault can usually be put to blame.

Is it not possible, if this is a Santa Ana going on (as it must be), that some of the lowest spots in El Cajon or other inland areas could be significantly warmer than surrounding areas due to compressional warming? Santa Anas typically yield crazy temps within short distances due to elevation and wind-patterns...that's my suspicion in this instance, at least.

The problem with using inexpensive, non-shielded sensors (aside from their inaccuracy) is that one must put them under trees or eaves and thus nighttime temp-readings in winter don't accurately reflect the air-temp in the open, but rather the higher temp under canopy.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

Actually the warmest temps in the state occurred in San Diego county today:

Santee: 83F\ 28.3C

Wild Animal Pk: 85F\ 29.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

:rage: If one more person gives a reading from a sensor in the sun I'm gonna.... (I died)

Curreently 61.7F, but that's in full moonlight. Reading might be a little off with the moonlight.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Matt--

As far as I know wunderground only accepts readings from regulation weather-stations having professional radiation shielding. Readings from these stations (Vantage Pro, etc.) are quite accurate and I suspect that if there were false readings it was due to faulty equipment. My station is a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and its shielding does an amazing job. I'm on wunderground as well, and I often look around the wundermap for anomolous readings. There is amazing consistency from these pro stations, and when they are off they seem to be WAY off, and thus I think some equipment fault can usually be put to blame.

Is it not possible, if this is a Santa Ana going on (as it must be), that some of the lowest spots in El Cajon or other inland areas could be significantly warmer than surrounding areas due to compressional warming? Santa Anas typically yield crazy temps within short distances due to elevation and wind-patterns...that's my suspicion in this instance, at least.

The problem with using inexpensive, non-shielded sensors (aside from their inaccuracy) is that one must put them under trees or eaves and thus nighttime temp-readings in winter don't accurately reflect the air-temp in the open, but rather the higher temp under canopy.

It was generally an gentle offshore flow but I wouldn't characterize it as a Santa Ana.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Curreently 61.7F, but that's in full moonlight. Reading might be a little off with the moonlight.

:floor:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Not exactly correct Michael. This station says it was from an Oregon Scientific unit. Weather underground does not verify the presence any shielding, don't know if they require it either. Davis are the best at +/- 1F, while many are +/-2 F, and a few are ever +/-2 to 6 F which is getting a bit sloppy.

Matt--

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean