IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Earliest snowfall in Houston's history

_Keith

Today will go down as the earliest snowfall in Houston's history. Most school districts remain open, but HISD canceled after-school and weekend activities.

post-1207-1259944201_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well Keith, do you think it will be gone by Sunday when I get to Houston?

It is one hot one here today. Right around 98 degrees in the shade.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Well Keith, do you think it will be gone by Sunday when I get to Houston?

It is one hot one here today. Right around 98 degrees in the shade.

dk

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your outlook, I think it will be gone by 9am tomorrow morning.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

That is just fine with me Keith. My next stop will then be Great Falls, Montana on Wednesday. I think it is a bit more probable that there will still be some snow around there.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

That is just fine with me Keith. My next stop will then be Great Falls, Montana on Wednesday. I think it is a bit more probable that there will still be some snow around there.

dk

I might have to revise that gone by 9am quote. Low predicted of 25 there, so it may stick around for a bit longer, but still pretty sure to be gone by Sunday, imho.

Taken 15 minutes ago in Houston, Tx

post-1207-1259955580_thumb.jpg

post-1207-1259955590_thumb.jpg

The saddest thing is that the few Royals planted in Houston there will probably die from this :( It was going to happen eventually though... How are the more southern areas such as Brownsville?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I'm up near The Woodlands and had light-moderate snow all day, but it didn't accumulate to much at all. NWS says it will be 24F here (GPS click forecast on NWS site). I tend to be a tad warmer at my location than the number they put up. My 4 Majesty Palms are all wrapped-up and I covered my Hawaiian Tis & Bird of Paradise. The Pygmy Dates & Orange tree will have to just wing it. I'm not worried about my Mexican Fans, Sagos, or Windmill Palms.

Edited by jasons

The saddest thing is that the few Royals planted in Houston there will probably die from this :( It was going to happen eventually though... How are the more southern areas such as Brownsville?

As I recall, there was a Brownsville post in one of the threads that said low of 33 tonight. Low of 32 now expected here in So. Louisiana, and Houston slightly up, but still expecting a low of 26.

I'm up near The Woodlands and had light-moderate snow all day, but it didn't accumulate to much at all. NWS says it will be 24F here (GPS click forecast on NWS site). I tend to be a tad warmer at my location than the number they put up. My 4 Majesty Palms are all wrapped-up and I covered my Hawaiian Tis & Bird of Paradise. The Pygmy Dates & Orange tree will have to just wing it. I'm not worried about my Mexican Fans, Sagos, or Windmill Palms.

Your orange tree should be ok as long as you don't get much below 26F. The fruit, if any, might be toast.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The Weather Channel has been monitoring the Houston snowstorm all day. It looks lovely but I know the temps could be damaging. They reported that Houston had a snowfall last December 10th. Good luck guys! :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

34.4F here and headed down.

This not only marks the earliest snowfall on record for Houston (breaking last year's record of Dec 10) but also marks for the first time that Houston has ever received snow in consecutive years. The record low for my zip code occurred on Dec 4, 1968 at 33F. Tonight's forecast low is 25-27F. It's supposed to be sunny and quickly warm into the 50s tomorrow, but I'm not looking forward to my morning walk through the yard.

It started snowing this morning about 10am. Huge flakes! At one point everything in the city was completely covered with snow. It has for the most part melted now but is still coming down like a blizzard. The temperature is only 36.4 and is forecasted to drop to 23 tonight.

Unbelievable! This made all time history. It is the earliest it has ever snowed in Houston in history. Also the first time it has snowed two years in a row.

The bad part is there is little doubt I will suffer some considerable losses in tropicals. Though we have done all we can winterizing, there is not much we can do to protect some of this more tender stuff in hard freezes.

Here is where I work in Pasadena, Texas

post-1421-1259980663_thumb.jpg

post-1421-1259980695_thumb.jpg

post-1421-1259980728_thumb.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F

Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F

The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

Here is my yard:

post-1421-1259980855_thumb.jpg

post-1421-1259980922_thumb.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

more

post-1421-1259981008_thumb.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

more

post-1421-1259981156_thumb.jpg

post-1421-1259981179_thumb.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Good luck Tex. I hope that Freezepruf was all they said it was an more.

This certainly will put it to the test. I sprayed my Majesty, Triangle, Bizmarck and mangos. I also wrapped them, put up lights and etc. If this stuff works as they said, all of them should come out unscathed. My foxtail is so tall I could not not wrap the fronts. I did put a big light at the base and made a tent around the trunk. No Freezepruf on the foxtail because I just don't have a ladder tall enough to spray it.

If this stuff works, it worth it's weight in gold. If not, I wasted a lot of money. Either way, I will give credit where credit is due.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

This certainly will put it to the test. I sprayed my Majesty, Triangle, Bizmarck and mangos. I also wrapped them, put up lights and etc. If this stuff works as they said, all of them should come out unscathed. My foxtail is so tall I could not not wrap the fronts. I did put a big light at the base and made a tent around the trunk. No Freezepruf on the foxtail because I just don't have a ladder tall enough to spray it.

If this stuff works, it worth it's weight in gold. If not, I wasted a lot of money. Either way, I will give credit where credit is due.

Well, I woke up to 28.5 this morning. Weather.com was saying 31, while my fav local forecaster was saying 29. Man beats computer on this one.

Where was the mercury in Houston this morning?

It was 25F here this morning. I didn't think it would get this cold....all of my Hibiscus and a few other tropicals in the yard are toast. At least I covered the most valuable items but I still had a bad freeze kill today. I wrapped my 4 Majestys tight so I hope they are fine (should be). I think my Pygmys will have pretty bad leaf burn but they should recover. Not a happy day for local gardeners though. :(

Edited by jasons

I bottomed out at 26.1F in Pearland with very heavy ice and snow still on almost everything. I finally broke the freezing mark just after 8am this morning so the flaw has started, albeit slowly at this point.

It was 25F here this morning. I didn't think it would get this cold....all of my Hibiscus and a few other tropicals in the yard are toast. At least I covered the most valuable items but I still had a bad freeze kill today. I wrapped my 4 Majestys tight so I hope they are fine (should be). I think my Pygmys will have pretty bad leaf burn but they should recover. Not a happy day for local gardeners though. :(

The next several days will indeed not be very happy. I wrapped my 3 foxtails with xmas lights, blankets, and a tarp so they should be fine but everything else was on it's own. This was the last year I can cover the foxtails since they're about 18-20 feet tall now, so they're own they're own next year. I have (or at least had) all of the following uncovered:

- S. romanzoffiana,

- B. capitata

- A. cunninghamiana

- P. roebelenni

- P. sylvestris

- R. rivularis

- S. palmetto

- S. mexicana

- W. robusta (or filibusta?)

- C. humilis

- L. decora

- T. fortunei

- A. wrightii

I also have a teddy-tri hybrid (I think) that was wrapped with lights, blankets, and a tarp that will probably be okay and a B. nobilis that I build a small tent around with a blanket and a tarp so it didn't get any ice.

I'm pretty sure the majesty and king palms will quickly be toast and the pygmies will likely lose most of their fronds, but I think (or hope) most everything else will pull through. I'll post some results in several days or weeks once the damage is apparent.

Edited by war_eagle

Well, I woke up to 28.5 this morning. Weather.com was saying 31, while my fav local forecaster was saying 29. Man beats computer on this one.

Where was the mercury in Houston this morning?

Right after sunrise it hit 26.6. It is 45 now at 10:17am.

My hibiscus suffered minimal damage. The bananas, elephant ears, variegated ginger, and philodendron are zapped. Hope your majestys make it. Mine is fairly large but we did manage to use a ladder to wrap it cover the base with x-mas lights and I hung a 40W light bulb in the middle. I also sprayed it 2 times with FreezePruff. I am afraid to look under the wraps today. We did loose power last night for 2 hours so I am sure that didn't help matters. Keep us informed as to how things turn out.

The next several days will indeed not be very happy. I wrapped my 3 foxtails with xmas lights, blankets, and a tarp so they should be fine but everything else was on it's own. This was the last year I can cover the foxtails since they're about 18-20 feet tall now, so they're own they're own next year. I have (or at least had) all of the following uncovered:

- S. romanzoffiana,

- B. capitata

- A. cunninghamiana

- P. roebelenni

- P. sylvestris

- R. rivularis

- S. palmetto

- S. mexicana

- W. robusta (or filibusta?)

- C. humilis

- L. decora

- T. fortunei

- A. wrightii

I also have a teddy-tri hybrid (I think) that was wrapped with lights, blankets, and a tarp that will probably be okay and a B. nobilis that I build a small tent around with a blanket and a tarp so it didn't get any ice.

I'm pretty sure the majesty and king palms will quickly be toast and the pygmies will likely lose most of their fronds, but I think (or hope) most everything else will pull through. I'll post some results in several days or weeks once the damage is apparent.

My fox tail is too tall to cover. I did wrap the trunk with a frost cloth and placed a 150w flood light under it. I am sure that helped but I don't know yet how extensive the frond damage will be.

My Triangle was completely covered as it is much smaller, I also sprayed it with the FreezePruff. The trunk was also wrapped and covered in x-mas lights and I hung a 40w bulb in the middle of the palm under the cover. Hopefull that did the trick. My Bizmarck can't be covered any longer so I wrapped the trunk with x-mas lights and wrapped it with frost cloth. I also sprayed it well with FreezePruff. So fat I see no visible damage.

The rest of my palms got no protection and no doubt did well.

Edited by Big Tex

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

Hopefully, you all have paid your dues for the rest of the winter.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Sorry to read of the current damage. It should warm up quickly this coming week and tonight should stay above freezing for Houston. Now it is California's turn w/ a nasty polar storm moving south into the state this week. :o

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Here in Surfside Beach, just south of Houston, we got a few flakes mixed with rain but it never dropped below freezing. Looks like my coconuts just might make it.

I bought 2 gallons of FreezePruff and applied it to some of my more sensitive plants about 2 weeks ago.

the first is a Peanut Butter Fruit Tree (bunchosia argentea). Hardy to 27 degrees. However, last winter it was completely defoliated at 30 degrees and much of the branches had to be cut back. I had if covered with a frost cloth last year.

This year I sprayed it with FreezePruff and did not cover it at all because it has gotten so big. So far, very minimal damage. It was covered in snow and saw 26.6 degrees.

DSCF3412.jpg

These two mangos got the same protection this years as they did last year. They saw 4 degrees colder weather plus it was below freezing for 8 hours compared to last year where it was 30 degrees and only below freezing for 1 hour. So far, absolutely NO visible damage despite everything around it has been badly burned, but not treated.

DSCF3415.jpg

DSCF3416.jpg

DSCF3417.jpg

Edited by Big Tex

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

My papayas are defoliated but the trunks and fruit look fine.

DSCF3413.jpg

DSCF3414.jpg

DSCF3426.jpg

Angel's Trumpets are fried. However the trunks appear to be OK. The were covered with frost cloth but 26.6 is just too cold for them.

DSCF3422.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

No mas bananas. They will come back in the spring just fine.

DSCF3424.jpg

DSCF3425.jpg

Looks like my Coral Tree (Erythrina crista-galli) got defoliated. I think it will come back in the spring.

DSCF3423.jpg

Too early to tell about my Foxtail. I covered the base but it is way to tall to cover the fronds. It does appear to have some discoloration already. Time will tell how bad it is. 26 is pushing it for this palm. Sure wish I had a taller ladder so I could have treated this palm with FreezePruff.

DSCF3421.jpg

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

My Triangle Palm looks good underneath the wraps. This palm was also treated with FreezePruff.

DSCF3418.jpg

This big Majesty was pretty hard to wrap, but so far it looks undamaged. FreezePruff was also sprayed on this palm which went about 1 degree colder than it's hardiness.

DSCF3419.jpg

My Bismarck looks like it came out with no damage. It also was treated with FreezePruff.

DSCF3420.jpg

It's still early, but so far, I would say the FreezePruff worked very well. Let's see what happens in the next few days.

Houston, Texas

29.8649°N - 95.6521°W

Elevation 114.8 ft

Sunset zone 28

USDA zone 9a

>My papayas are defoliated but the trunks and fruit look fine.

Hi,

The papayas should recover, but without the leaves, the fruit will get damaged by sunburn and spoil.

You could try covering them until a new canopy forms...

Edited by siafu

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

26.1F low with 3" of snow on the ground and ice on most plants.

A. cunninghamiana in the open ... already brown (as expected).

post-1385-1260056034_thumb.jpg

A. cunninghamiana with some cover and right up against the house ... still green for now.

post-1385-1260056056_thumb.jpg

B. nobilis that had a tent covering. The PVC frame was covered with a blanket and then a tarp on top with no supplemental heat. It looks good so far, but I know damage on these can take a while to show up.

post-1385-1260056804_thumb.jpg

A. wrightii with no protection. It had enough ice on the fronds that they bent back to the ground before I shook all the ice off. Looks the same today as it did before the storm.

post-1385-1260056819_thumb.jpg

L. decora that had it's fronds bent to the ground from the weight of the ice. Looks fine today.

post-1385-1260057085_thumb.jpg

P. sylvestris that looked sad yesterday with the ice weighing it down, but looks fine today.

post-1385-1260057111_thumb.jpg

P. roebelenii that was unprotected and covered with ice. It's still green for now, but the color when viewed up close in person looks a little off. It should survive but may be defoliated eventually.

post-1385-1260057678_thumb.jpg

I'll post some more pics tomorrow. All of my bananas were chocolate brown by noon today, but they die to ground every year here anyway. All unprotected hibiscus and elephant ears look melted. All unprotected sabals, butias, queens, washies, and trachies look unharmed for now.