IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer time south of the equator

peachy

That's some strong sunlight intensities. We've already had some 14-16 readings.

Another bit of info for the same locations for Dec so far

Perth 9.4mm average daily evaporation 12.6hrs average daily sun

Brisbane 9.0mm avg daily evap 12.2 hrs avg daily sun

Darwin 9.8mm avg daily evap 7.7 hrs avg daily sun

Best regards

Tyrone

Brisbane rarely exceeds a UV index of 14, so the 16s forecast for the last few days are extraordinary, and more akin to nth QLD or NT, not SE QLD. 14-16 for Perth would be way over normal, which usually maxes out at about 12 in the summer months. What days did it reach those levels Tyrone? That would have to be some kind of record? Was there some kind of weird sun or atmospheric activity that caused the high UV across Oz in the last couple of weeks?

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

If I can share the rain.. I would... We had over 200mm in the last 24 hours here and that is way too much. We managed to plant more trees and bamboo when we had a break in the weather. It is still raining here... although not as heavy anymore. The dam is not quite full, but getting there....

There is a debate about what is going to happen to the low pressure system. Some of my friends at the NT weather forum think it will just fizzle out, while the rest still think it has a chance of being a cyclone... After experiencing 2 cyclones, I am not too keen. I don't mind the rain though...

Daryl,

We had a few of those extreme UV level this build up... It wasn't very pleasant... even palms that have been in the ground for 2-3 years and never got burnt... showed burning signs. Not very nice indeed!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Best regards

Tyrone

Brisbane rarely exceeds a UV index of 14, so the 16s forecast for the last few days are extraordinary, and more akin to nth QLD or NT, not SE QLD. 14-16 for Perth would be way over normal, which usually maxes out at about 12 in the summer months. What days did it reach those levels Tyrone? That would have to be some kind of record? Was there some kind of weird sun or atmospheric activity that caused the high UV across Oz in the last couple of weeks?

regards,

Daryl

It was in the last couple of weeks Daryl, but which days I can't recall. I generally check the UV and you do get days when the tropics tend to "warp" for some reason and the UV index goes sky high. It's not that unusual for Perth to get UV ratings from 14-16 in the height of summer. I don't quite understand the forces behind the UV index being what it is, but it's not all about latitude. A UV index of 12 would be an average for a Perth summer in my experience. Now if you couple that with our consistently dry cloudless summers and very high evaporation rate, you can see why we need a canopy over here. Now that we've had this discussion I'm going to keep a closer eye on it all. Of course the UV index map is for a cloudless sky at midday, and cloud will reduce the actual UV reaching the ground.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The solar radiation maps give a good idea as to what actually reaches the ground every day.

Here's the link.

http://www.bom.gov.au/sat/solrad.shtml

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I found this map too for average UV index in January for the country.

http://reg.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_aver...period=jan#maps

It doesn't show what it can vary by, but it does show an average reading.

Best regards

Tyrone

Average daily solar exposure for January.

http://reg.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_aver...period=jan#maps

I chose January because that's when the UV and solar exposure daily average is at the maximum. It would probably be max around summer solstice in the south or Dec 21,22. Early December, at least in Perth, can be quite a bit cooler than late Dec through to January. By mid February you're fed up with the relentless heat.

Best regards

Tyrone

For us the maximum would be Sept/Oct, I think Tyrone... that is when the build up starts.. By January, the wet is at full swing and we have monsoonal weather with a lot of cloud cover. Like now, I haven't seen the sun for 2 days....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari,

That weather looks great. It has been raining in Manaus now. Which is great news the heat was getting to me. But, speaking of heat I could use a little right now. Here in Great Falls, Montana, USA where I am at the moment the conditions are like this:

Great Falls, Montana (Airport)

Updated: 3 min 31 sec ago

Snow

1 °F / -17 °C

Snow Freezing Fog

Windchill: -17 °F / -27 °C

Humidity: 85%

Dew Point: -2 °F / -19 °C

Wind: 14 mph / 22 km/h / 6.2 m/s from the NNW

Now that is just lovely. I just got back from the supermarket. I can remember very well what this weather is like. I just have not experienced it for a long time.

The high and low temperatures forecast for tomorrow.

-6° F | -17° F

-21° C | -27° C

I have a flight to Houston at 5 PM. I hope that I do not get snowed in as I need to be in Miami on Monday. And, back to Manaus on Wednesday.

At least it looks Christmasy.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Sounds like an impressive amount of rain Ari - if you could box some up and send it down south to me (20,000 lts would be just fine), I would really appreciate it. But after reading about what Peachy is going through, please send some rain to her first !

Melbourne forecast for next 4 days: 21, 25, 32, 39.

I'm going to be away in Indonesia for 3 days this week - which includes the 32 & 39... :(

I am going to have to reinstall the dodgy timer, but will isolate the tanks, so it can only draw off one...in case it decides to go silly again.

Right now, the weather here is a rollercoaster. We were a lot hotter in November than we have been in December so far. As far as consistent hot weather goes, we don't seem to settle into day after day of 30C+ until 2nd week of Jan...... it's like flicking a switch.

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

I hope all goes well with your garden when you're gone Miccles. If I lived closer I'd pop in and check on it while you're gone, but you're a bit far away to do that. Did Holman give you an explanation as to what went wrong?

Best regards

Tyrone

I hope all goes well with your garden when you're gone Miccles. If I lived closer I'd pop in and check on it while you're gone, but you're a bit far away to do that. Did Holman give you an explanation as to what went wrong?

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks for the kind offer mate :winkie:

One of the neighbors will come over and give things a spray on Tuesday evening, and with a bit of luck I will be back around midday on Thursday. Indonesia is a long way to go for 2 presentations !

As far as the timer goes, I really dunno what happened..I want to try it again..but not while I am away....Christmas holidays looks like a good time to run it - under supervision of course...

Regards

Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Another hot sunny day that was forecast to be cool rainy. I don't know where they get their forecasts from. I have had more accurate fortune cookies. The only hopeful sign is today is very humid and for a change there's no hot winds to dehydrate the place. The morning glory vines have gone insane in this weather and my big hibiscus tree and the massive bougainvillea out front have both dissapeared under a cover of the morning glory. Reluctant as I am to use herbicides, that rotten stuff really has to go. I've put the sprinkler on again, its way too hot to hand hose and a good soak will help the small areas that I can get the water to. Like you Ari, I have burning on things that have never burnt before, so Tyrone must have something with UV stuff. Isnt the hole in the ozone layer just over us ? I certainly can't explain any of it. My silver cycad seeds have germinated though, so this heat is good for something.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Peahy,

Just imagine you are here and you will not feel so hot.

dk

IMG_2714.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

It got to 39C today and the Parajubaea torralyi seeds under my back patio are at 48C which they should love. Very low humidity. It was down to 7% and a dewpoint of -3C. We should get a high humidity "pulse" tomorrow which they are forecasting. 20C min tonight then a humid 31C tomorrow.

That cyclone has formed now west of Darwin heading west. I doubt it will come far south before crossing the coast and breaking up sending all of it's humidity and rain across country to QLD and NSW maybe Vic.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

regards,

Daryl

It was in the last couple of weeks Daryl, but which days I can't recall. I generally check the UV and you do get days when the tropics tend to "warp" for some reason and the UV index goes sky high. It's not that unusual for Perth to get UV ratings from 14-16 in the height of summer. I don't quite understand the forces behind the UV index being what it is, but it's not all about latitude. A UV index of 12 would be an average for a Perth summer in my experience. Now if you couple that with our consistently dry cloudless summers and very high evaporation rate, you can see why we need a canopy over here. Now that we've had this discussion I'm going to keep a closer eye on it all. Of course the UV index map is for a cloudless sky at midday, and cloud will reduce the actual UV reaching the ground.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone, here you go..here are the November UV values for Perth.

post-42-1260685055_thumb.png

Here is a good site that has all the stats for UV for the major Oz cities for the last few years.

Oz UV Stats

The values vary due to the amount of cloudcover, as we all know. Fortunately for us East Coasters and the Territorians, our summers are cloudier than those in the West, otherwise the UV would have a greater impact.

I am still curious as to why the UV is higher than normal for the last week, but can't find any info on it yet.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hhhmm... Laurence is doing a U-turn and apparently monsoon trough is arriving tomorrow... What will happen with Laurence?? I guess time will tell.... Hhmm, as long as it doesn't involve a lot of wind coming our way...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Don, that looks pretty close to heaven right now. Not only is it nice and cold but eventually it melts into the ground and is just as good as lot of rain if it doesnt run off. Well today was another red hot sizzler and apparently there was rain almost everywhere but here. Ants have appeared from nowhere and are running around in the thousands. That is supposed to be a sign of impending rain. Been thinking if there isnt a break in this drought and heat soon I may as well throw all my germinated seeds down the toilet now and save myself the aggravation of having to do it later. Yes I am on a self pity trip and enjoying too.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy,

It is acutally a nice break to have a real winter weather. I was getting pretty tired of the equatorial summer that did not seem to end in Manaus. Fortunately it does look like when I get home we will be in more of a rainy season mode. I have a lot of little plants to get in the ground over at our country place in January. And, by next dry season I hope to have some decent irrigation in place as well.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Best regards

Tyrone

regards,

Daryl

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone, here you go..here are the November UV values for Perth.

post-42-1260685055_thumb.png

Here is a good site that has all the stats for UV for the major Oz cities for the last few years.

Oz UV Stats

The values vary due to the amount of cloudcover, as we all know. Fortunately for us East Coasters and the Territorians, our summers are cloudier than those in the West, otherwise the UV would have a greater impact.

I am still curious as to why the UV is higher than normal for the last week, but can't find any info on it yet.

regards,

Daryl

Very very interesting website Daryl. I've never seen this one before and I've book marked it for future reference.

A couple of things do puzzle me though. I did see Brissies UV go up into the 14-16 zone in the last couple of weeks but it wasn't recorded that high for some reason. I did see Perth's UV go up around 14 as well but again it wasn't recorded. I do remember last summer commenting to a friend at one point that we had a higher predicted UV than Darwin. I still don't fully understand this UV and solar radiation thing and how the atmosphere can at times magnify or reduce the suns intensity. As far as total solar radiation reaching the ground, Perth peaks in Jan at 30MJ/m2, Brissie peaks at 25MJ/m2 in Jan, and Darwin peaks in Oct (as Ari said) at 25MJ/m2, roughly.

But looking at Perth's UV, Brissies UV, and Sydney's UV for today, they have all exceeded the predicted UV by a reasonable amount. I don't know why, but I'm going to keep an eye on all this, because it has a direct bearing on how things grow.

Perth

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/realtime/per_rt.htm

Brisbane

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/realtime/bri_rt.htm

Sydney

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/realtime/syd_rt.htm

Best regards

Tyrone

Here are the average yearly UV index maps for Darwin, Brisbane, Sydney and Perth.

Darwin

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/models/daruvmodel.htm

Brisbane

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/models/briuvmodel.htm

Sydney

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/models/syduvmodel.htm

Perth

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/models/peruvmodel.htm

Melbourne

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/uvindex/models/meluvmodel.htm

I was just reading the background info regarding the UV predictions and they are based on average Ozone levels in the atmosphere. If they vary much, the UV index will vary too. Also other atmospheric conditions are meant to have an impact too. So maybe those freak high UV ratings I've seen are due to low ozone levels amongst other things. I still can't explain why they weren't recorded though.

Best regards

Tyrone

I've had a few palms burnt to smithereens (almost) thanks to that high UV and no rain.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Our weather is now getting interesting.

First good rains since September but looks like it will be too much on the other big island.

TC Mick was tracking straight to us but now is heading more south like the chart shows.

They predict between 9 and 11 of these this season for our part of the sth pacific.

Fortunately we have had drizzle and light showers for more than a week so the land mass is cool

and that should keep the cyclone at sea hopefully.

Jim

post-710-1260736997_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

It is going to be an interesting week... depending on what Cyclone Laurence is doing.... It is still intensifying and trying to do a U-turn, although BOM still insists on it going west... so we shall see... Meanwhile, it keeps on dumping rain rain and rain... This is the 4th day we haven't seen any sun... the dryer has been going flat out... Not complaining... my garden loves it!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It's track is going around in circles Ari. I think this may be a difficult one to predict. They've still got it tracking westward but I'm not too sure about that.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think Laurence is doing a wobble...lol. It is almost stationary all day today... I think it won't move until it strengthen a bit... Lots of rain though, pretty close to 400mm already at my place.

Yeah, Tyrone... I am not sure why BOM kept on insisting on it going west... I guess we shall see soon...

Edited by ariscott

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They've now got it tracking west at 2knots. That's disturbingly slow. I think it's gathering strength. I agree with you, it's wobbling, and could fly off anywhere.

Best regards

Tyrone

I just hope it doesnt do much damage wherever it ends up and also makes it rain buckets here. Not so hot today, very overcast and muggy but still so dry and the damned wind is back. The pump blew up in my lift today so I have been sliding up and downstairs on my hands and bum, balancing a pair of fat fur faces who didnt know what stairs are for. Had the sprinkler going all day and really letting it soak each section heavily because I desperately need to do some planting this week if its not too hot, and its not diggable at all when its dry and hard. My Clinostigma samoense isnt looking too good. I have tried to keep the water up to it, but it looks like its about to succumb. Gave it a good deep soaking today, so I guess I will know by the end of the week if it is going to make it or not.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Well my fellow Southerners... My post wont change much from my previous one a couple of weeks ago! RAIN...Rain Rain in every form, drizzle, showers, rain, heavy rain and thunder showers! I reckon people are starting to get SAD! Ok so its not that bad but we have probably only had 4 sunny days in the last three weeks!

I hope you all get some rain soon...

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

At least you're not in drought Dennis. Hopefully the sun will come out for you soon.

It was very humid in the west capital today. We almost got to 30C but with dewpoints close to 19C which is very humid for Perth. Humidity and high cloud kept the UV down, but we still peaked at 11. We also had some smoke around which combined with the humidity and created a thick humid haze. The long range forecast is predicting 37C and rain on Sat with humidity and thunderstorms coming down from TC Laurence. I hope that's what happens too.

Best regards

Tyrone

TC Laurence is Cat 4 now and seems to be following the coast. It could hit Derby or Broome.

Best regards

Tyrone

Apparently it was cat 5 for a while there... not sure how it could strengthen from cat 3 to 5 in less than 24 hours.. :unsure:

Anyway, now that Laurence is gone... monsoonal surge is coming through... Hopefully more rain and rain and rain... although I do have to mow sometime this week before it gets out of control :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

First of all, and I think I speak for everybody on this, all the very best wishes and care to Jim over in Fiji. If you didnt know, the islands were hit very badly by Cyclone Mick with much damage and some loss of life. Jim we hope you are safe and well. In the part of the world, once again, inspite of the weather forecast for rain, we got nada as usual. Its starting to become very depressing. Just to put the icing on the misery cake, my long awaited parcel from RPS arrived today. As I eagerly opened the package a letter fell out. Bloody quarantine has struck again. I cant afford to throw money away on things I dont get so it really got me annoyed. Not a palm fortunately but some seed for a plant that I have been trying to get for many years. So close too, all the way from Europe only to be snatched away practically on my doorstep. I am both very disappointed and somewhat PO'd too by it all. At least my orange crownshaft euterpes have germinated. (just after I obtained some advanced seedlings too) That will teach me to be more patient I suppose. Tomorrow the whole cycle starts over again, wake up, water, eat, water, sleep. At least now its pleasantly cool unlike the last few weeks.

Peachy

27.35 south.

What did they take Peachy? Was it a Musa or Ensete? If so, you'll have no hope.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just checked the UV forecast chart for the 17th of Dec. A UV index of 16 is forecast for 28S on the west coast (Geraldton) and Perth will be about 14. We'll see what we actually get.

Here's the forecast

Forecast for Wednesday evening

Clear skies this evening. Fresh S/SW winds shifting SE'ly late evening.

Precis: Skies clearing.

Forecast for Thursday

Sunny. Moderate to fresh E/SE winds, easing in the afternoon and tending S'ly

near the coast.

Precis: Sunny. Windy morning.

City: Min 13 Max 29

Mandurah: Min 14 Max 27

UV Alert: 7:50 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 14 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: VERY HIGH

Friday Mostly sunny. Windy morning. Min 17 Max 34

Saturday Thundery shower or two. Min 19 Max 33

Sunday Partly cloudy. Min 19 Max 31

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 30

Tuesday Partly cloudy. Min 18 Max 30

Wednesday Mostly sunny. Min 17 Max 30

Tomorrows UV forecast for Perth is the same as Darwin.

Best regards

Tyrone

Thanks for your concerns Peachy and sorry to hear of your loss with quarantine. What was it?

I have suffered that also.

TC Mick passed west of here and went straight across the other big island, Viti Levu.

They copped the brunt of it all and we only had some blustery weather for about 24 hours.

Some damage to leaves of some of the Pelagodoxa but no more.http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/style_emoticons/default/smilie.gif

Beautiful weather now.

Jim

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Good to hear there is minimal damage at your place, Jim... Cyclone always worries me this time of the year... although if we don't get a direct hit, we always get plenty of rain from it... I rather have monsoon trough, but then we can't have one without the other...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Glad that you're alright Jim.

The BOM has TC Laurence crossing the coast south of Broome going out to sea and reintensifying then following the coastline down. This could be an interesting next few days.

Jim I am so glad that you are okay and the worst of it missed you. Having been through one myself I know how horrible they are. That horrible hot wind came back today after a couple of days respite. Supposed to be hot one again tomorrow with storms and rain....HAH !!!!!

Believe that when I see it. My seeds were the rice paper plant, Tetrapanax papyriferus. I have been trying to find them for years and years. Lovely things with huge leaves. I always planned to place them around the garden as features and as they are also frost hardy, they would have made perfect protection for the delicate palms and plants if a frost does strike. I am sure some drip in quarantine probably thought they were papyrus or something, for I cant think of any other reason to seize them. I couldnt find them on the list. I didnt think the ornamental bananas would be a problem either. Thanks Tyrone, you saved me some money as I thought the pink flowering dwarf musas were rather lovely and I was going to get some. On a happier note, my Cycas sp thai silver seeds germinated. They are such a pretty plant and can take the occasional frost as well, so I am told. Took 3 weeks in the cupboard under the sink. Also the Alocasia odora have sprouted too. Only one of my Cyclanth palmata seeds germinated and I took it out too soon....thats another one of much awaited and longed for plants too. I guess I might have to try those again, even if I only get one it will be worth it.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Jim I am so glad that you are okay and the worst of it missed you. Having been through one myself I know how horrible they are. That horrible hot wind came back today after a couple of days respite. Supposed to be hot one again tomorrow with storms and rain....HAH !!!!!

Believe that when I see it. My seeds were the rice paper plant, Tetrapanax papyriferus. I have been trying to find them for years and years. Lovely things with huge leaves. I always planned to place them around the garden as features and as they are also frost hardy, they would have made perfect protection for the delicate palms and plants if a frost does strike. I am sure some drip in quarantine probably thought they were papyrus or something, for I cant think of any other reason to seize them. I couldnt find them on the list. I didnt think the ornamental bananas would be a problem either. Thanks Tyrone, you saved me some money as I thought the pink flowering dwarf musas were rather lovely and I was going to get some. On a happier note, my Cycas sp thai silver seeds germinated. They are such a pretty plant and can take the occasional frost as well, so I am told. Took 3 weeks in the cupboard under the sink. Also the Alocasia odora have sprouted too. Only one of my Cyclanth palmata seeds germinated and I took it out too soon....thats another one of much awaited and longed for plants too. I guess I might have to try those again, even if I only get one it will be worth it.

Peachy

27.35 south.