IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 2009 Weather Thread

_Keith

What's worse is the 35 mph winds we had for two days...makes it feel alot colder! And then you have that 'damp' cold feeling due to the high humidity which goes straight to the bones...but I shall count my blessings!

I think the damp cold/cool weather is alot worse than the dry cold. I'm sure you guys in Florida know what I'm talking about!

Oh yeah. Days in the low 50's here don't bother me, but 65 and raining is miserable.

Try 35 and raining. You live in paradise. On the other hand, a little cold really makes you appreciate the warmth. My two favorite times of the year, are feeling the first cold front coming in after a long hot summer, and the first warm front coming in after a short cold winter.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

What's worse is the 35 mph winds we had for two days...makes it feel alot colder! And then you have that 'damp' cold feeling due to the high humidity which goes straight to the bones...but I shall count my blessings!

I think the damp cold/cool weather is alot worse than the dry cold. I'm sure you guys in Florida know what I'm talking about!

Oh yeah. Days in the low 50's here don't bother me, but 65 and raining is miserable.

Try 35 and raining. You live in paradise. On the other hand, a little cold really makes you appreciate the warmth. My two favorite times of the year, are feeling the first cold front coming in after a long hot summer, and the first warm front coming in after a short cold winter.

I know what you're talking about. I lived in a "cold" area from fall 2008 to spring 2009 (Columbia, South Carolina). That was the first time since I was 5 that I was somewhere besides South West Florida in the winter, and it certainly made me appreciate the warm winters. We went on a 3 day camping trip in the dead middle of winter up in the mountains where it didn't get above 20F at all during those 3 days. Plus, we slept in tents, so there was no warm cozy bed in a heated room to go to at night. That probably doesn't sound like much for people who live that all the time, but I didn't expect it. Especially since I only remember having frost once the entire time I was in Bradenton... I can't imagine how Don felt going from 3 degrees away from the equator where summer and winter are the same thing to sub zero temps and snow! Brrr.... Now that I'm back SW Fl, I never want to go any more north. If it's too cold for coconuts to grow long term, it's too cold for me!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I suppose there are some out there wondering what's happening weather-wise in Hawaii these short winter days in late December. In West Hawaii Island (Kona side) it has been quite nice but a few degrees cooler when we wake up (early morning before the sun comes out) - more so at the higher elevations. However, as soon as the sun comes out the temperatures rise rapidly. Our newspaoper WEST HAWAII TODAY reports the following 5-day forecast for this area.

Today Dec 26:--- clear, plenty of sunshin -----82 / 68----- 27.7 / 20

Sun. Dec 27:--- plenty of sunshine-------------82 / 69----- 27.7 / 20.5

Mon. Dec 28 --- plenty of sunshine-------------83 / 69----- 28.3 / 20.5

Tues Dec 29 --- plenty of sunshine-------------82 / 69----- 27.7 / 20.5

Wed Dec 30--- a full day of sunshine----------82 / 70----- 27.7 / 21

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I suppose there are some out there wondering what's happening weather-wise in Hawaii these short winter days in late December. In West Hawaii Island (Kona side) it has been quite nice but a few degrees cooler when we wake up (early morning before the sun comes out) - more so at the higher elevations. However, as soon as the sun comes out the temperatures rise rapidly. Our newspaoper WEST HAWAII TODAY reports the following 5-day forecast for this area.

Wonderful conditions found only in Hawaii & south Florida [esp night temps]. It was barely 60F\ 15.5C here! :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Yesterday was misserable here. It was overcast all day and I don't think we got over 50F. I was awaken around midnight to the sound of rain. Hearing was not enough, so I had to SEE it, touch it. Gosh it really is wet! We could use a lot more.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Today was quite nice, temps hovered around 65, but it was really sunny, so it felt a lot warmer. Tonight though, we are forecasted to get down to 39 with a wind chill advisory in effect. As a result, I moved the more tender stuff into the garage just in case.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

We managed to reach 71F here today...forecast is for 38F here in Titusville tonight...

At least the wind should keep the FROST at bay,but it has laid down considerably since sunset!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I dont know where you birds are (gsn and zeeth), but it barely cracked 61F at my house today! Just remotely checked my station (I am away in South Carolina) and its pretty much the same temp here (Hilton Head Island) as at home....less than 5 F differential!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The next 10 days will not be tropical friendly.

post-1207-1262044489_thumb.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Also, same forecasts as you guys.....depending on the source it will be 38 to 42F with some nice wind whipping things around. My Prichardia wont appreciate this much (too bad for him!) , but all else shouldnt care much.

Larry 

Wonderful conditions found only in Hawaii & south Florida [esp night temps]. It was barely 60F\ 15.5C here! :unsure:

When it comes to winter-time temps, me thinks Hawaii has Florida beat with a stick!

Larry 

Larry we were obviously in a heat sink today, the birds didn't have to fly south... :lol: probably ain't going to help me tonight though!

of the 4 stations around me the high temps were 69.9F, 71.3F, 71.4F and 68.7F and the 68.7 is right on the Indian River, I mean RIGHT on!!! :winkie:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I was just sitting out behind my house watching the interaction of the clouds and the moon on this rainy season evening. The temperature was around 82 F, which is pretty normal for this time of night. The wind was coming up and the air you could cut with a knife it was so humid. The wind started blowing a bit and then the rain came. We really never get much wind here unless it is from a down draft thunderstorm.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Another storm system that moved around California [mostly offshore] & will strengthen into a monster as it moves east toward Texas but not a drop of rain here! :angry: Partly cloudy & 70F today.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

When it comes to winter-time temps, me thinks Hawaii has Florida beat with a stick!

Yeah - a really BIG stick!

Here's the latest advisory - it isn't a freeze, but it'll sure feel like one:

<<<<<THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL HAS

ISSUED A WIND CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO

9 AM EST TUESDAY.

COLD AIR COMBINED WITH STRONGER WINDS WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILL

READINGS IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S EARLY TUESDAY MORNING ACROSS THE

ADVISORY AREA.>>>>

...with wind chill in the 20's for the Nature Coast. Bleah :P

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Yeah - a really BIG stick!

Here's the latest advisory - it isn't a freeze, but it'll sure feel like one:

<<<<<THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAMPA BAY AREA - RUSKIN FL HAS

ISSUED A WIND CHILL ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO

9 AM EST TUESDAY.

COLD AIR COMBINED WITH STRONGER WINDS WILL RESULT IN WIND CHILL

READINGS IN THE LOWER TO MID 30S EARLY TUESDAY MORNING ACROSS THE

ADVISORY AREA.>>>>

...with wind chill in the 20's for the Nature Coast. Bleah :P

Hanging onto 52.6F at my house at this hour, but winds are still N/NW. If (when) they shift, I suspect those forecast windchills will kick in :unsure:

And, dewpoint is dropping somewhat (~40F) , so this will make it much easier for the temp to fall.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

The nighttime temperature here is predicted to be 3 to 6ºF warmer than yours for the next five days or so and then about the same or 1 to 2ºF cooler the next latter five days. It will be cold, but the sun should be out with not much rain. The wind should stay up and prevent frost.

The nighttime temperature here is predicted to be 3 to 6ºF warmer than yours for the next five days or so and then about the same or 1 to 2ºF cooler the next latter five days. It will be cold, but the sun should be out with not much rain. The wind should stay up and prevent frost.

Frost was so thick and so hard this morning, it looked like it had snowed. Got down to at least 31, maybe even 30.

Low was forecast to be 43 this morning, but it was 41 inside the shadehouse at 8:15. Had brought in the Cyrtostachys and Socratea last night but everything else was on its own.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Twas windy today. High of only 68 early this morning and projections for tomorrow - High of 61/Low of 56. Wed - hi of 63/low of 57... Not good. Surprisingly things are still growing decently enough.

Hope you're palms all fair the cold well.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Surprisingly, my 5 year stint at university in Ontario, Canada did not thicken my blood cells! I do miss the snow...not the sharp stingy pain of your ear about to freeze over. My first experience was a doosy. I tried to walk to campus in November without a wooly hat/tuke thinking I could make it and I got approximately 300 yards before I had to turn back and get the hat. I was so paranoid that my ear was going to fall off hearing the stories of frost bite! :lol:

Now I guess I'm a bit spoiled. Although it does get cold enough to shiver on the occasion! Houses are not heated here and the old homes(which I live in ) are made of limestone so it can get quite damp and chilly.

I also like those two times of the year. Its whenever the night time temps start to cool enough that I don't have to turn on the A/C (Mid Nov, Early Dec) and when I can finally swim again (Mid-May)

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Also, same forecasts as you guys.....depending on the source it will be 38 to 42F with some nice wind whipping things around. My Prichardia wont appreciate this much (too bad for him!) , but all else shouldnt care much.

Bottomed at 41F and reached a maaahvelous 56F for the high :blink:

Larry 

It was cool but mostly clear in spite of another weather system moving over California tonight. Each storm is weak & devoid of much needed rain! :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I thought this graphic image was sort of interesting. It is actually pointed straight at my location. But, I do not think the cold will make it across Cuba, the Caribbean, Venezuela, and the the highest mountains in Brazil and on to the southern side of the Ecuador.

dk

Semttulo.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I thought this graphic image was sort of interesting. It is actually pointed straight at my location. But, I do not think the cold will make it across Cuba, the Caribbean, Venezuela, and the the highest mountains in Brazil and on to the southern side of the Ecuador.

dk

Hey Don - I got cold just looking at that!

Well, we struggled up to the low 60's (only briefly) yesterday - I was out doin' da yard work and it ended up feeling great. The 60's are okay IF you're working hard and IF it's sunny which it was.

My overnight low was 46 (45.8 actually) and I have a room full of fairly large crotons - trying to keep them out of the mid-40s and colder, and they look way better than my crotons did last year at this time, which were left outside. Chilly air really stresses these guys and they can take months to recover.

I am getting very worried about overnight lows by New Year's. The trend seems to be getting colder, and maybe could slip below 40 - time will tell.

Edited to add: Larry, I'm wondering if part of our microclimate, aside from our elevation, is that we're in the flight path of the St. Pete-Clw airport - do you think that would have a measurable effect?

Edited by SunnyFl

St. Pete

Edited to add: Larry, I'm wondering if part of our microclimate, aside from our elevation, is that we're in the flight path of the St. Pete-Clw airport - do you think that would have a measurable effect?

Between the 44ft elevation and the flight path, Ill bet that adds at least 0.00001F to the lows!

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Low in the shadehouse was 47 at 8 a.m. Better than forecasted 44, big improvement from yesterday's 41. Catch a break today but weekend lows are looking ~40 right now. But maybe the Cyrtostachys and Socratea can play outside for a couple days.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Well, this just stinks.

Tonight

Dec 30Showers Early49°50 %Thu

Dec 31Partly Cloudy68°/44°20 %Fri

Jan 01AM Clouds / PM Sun57°/33°10 %Sat

Jan 02Sunny56°/35°0 %Sun

Jan 03Partly Cloudy56°/38°20 %Mon

Jan 04Partly Cloudy48°/30°20 %Tue

Jan 05Mostly Sunny50°/36°10 %Wed

Jan 06Partly Cloudy54°/36°10 %Thu

Jan 07Mostly Sunny53°/36°10 %Fri

Jan 08Cloudy53°/48°10 %Last Updated Dec 30 12:13 p.m. CT

Well, this just stinks.

Tonight

Jan 02Sunny56°/35°0 %Sun

And on top of that, another inch or more of rain. I suspect we neared 30 inches for December. And for my friends in Med. type climates who get less than 5 inches of rain a year, and think we have nothing to complain about, I refer you to a quote from a book I am reading, "we get buckets of rain, between droughts."

Well, this just stinks.

Tonight

Jan 02Sunny56°/35°0 %Sun

And on top of that, another inch or more of rain. I suspect we neared 30 inches for December. And for my friends in Med. type climates who get less than 5 inches of rain a year, and think we have nothing to complain about, I refer you to a quote from a book I am reading, "we get buckets of rain, between droughts."

Right, cold wet soil make palms uncomfortable. Here we nervously look at each potential storm hoping one will let loose w/ some moisture. Generally get around 20 days a year of rainfall :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Between the 44ft elevation and the flight path, Ill bet that adds at least 0.00001F to the lows!

Hehe :lol:

And after looking at Saturday night's forecast - I don't think either helps at all!

St. Pete

Well, this just stinks.

Tonight

Jan 02Sunny56°/35°0 %Sun

Yeah, that really does stink. We're a little lot better off, but not much - esp. this weekend when I wanted to get out and tackle the yard chores. Highs in the 50's?? YUCKO!

St. Pete