IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December 2009 Weather Thread

_Keith

Nice series of storms moving onshore over California w/ occasional heavy showers this weekend. So far no mudslides but hillsides are close to saturation in burn areas. Really need this rain. By Christmas the hillsides will be lush in green grasses. :mrlooney:

That is a pretty site for sure. Driving from SD to LA through Camp Pendleton, the sharp coastal low mountains (or large hills) look more like something from Tahiti soon after large rains. Just a vibrant green that we rarely see here.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Another flash flood watch here. <sigh>

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The snow is coming down and the temperatures are falling. I sure looks like winter here. At 1 F I am ready to go back to the equator.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

The snow is coming down and the temperatures are falling. I sure looks like winter here. At 1 F I am ready to go back to the equator.

dk

ROFL. I understand. The little bit of winter we get here is more than enough for me.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

What I find interesting here is the relative humidity here in a snow storm with temperatures now 1 below zero and dropping. It may hit 15 below or so tonight. It has been a long time since I have been here this time of year. I wish I had time to go skiing. The powder snow is great right now. And, this year the ski resort where I used to ski all the time has a great snow pack for opening day, 53 inches. When I was in school I used to ski race, well at least try to. And, I spent all weekend every weekend on the slopes. The snow here is some of the driest in the Rockiy Mountain area. The mountains in the winter are great. But, it is a short trip to see my folks and tomorrow I am heading bak south. And then on Wednesday back across the equator where the winter is setting in. The equatorial kind where the rain keeps the temperatures down and plants pumping.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Keith - What is up with all this rain. It rained over 4 inches a few days ago and another 4 inches yesterday. Over 10 inches of rain so far this month and it's not even half over. I think my palm like it for now, but not if the ground temperature was colder as in January and February.

Keith,

Hope you fared better in Louisiana than we did in southeast Texas. The worst low temp, heavy frost that I have had in many years. Friday night 12/4 and Saturday morning 12/5 25F and frost thick enough to appear as if we had an ice storm.

Everything burned to a pulp that was not protected by canopy or frost blankets. Sure hope this does not repeat anymore this winter.

Marvin

Southern Waller county,Texas

I love my weather forecast lately. Let's see right now it say Dense Fog Advisory, Flash Flood Watch. Yes, that's right several more days of rain on totally saturated soils.

Marvin - For a rarity, we did do better than Houston. No snow, low of 28.5 here and with only a very light frost and just a few hours below freezing. My Castor Beans and Hibiscus still look fine.

Keith - What is up with all this rain. It rained over 4 inches a few days ago and another 4 inches yesterday. Over 10 inches of rain so far this month and it's not even half over. I think my palm like it for now, but not if the ground temperature was colder as in January and February.

Believe it or not, we are up to 67.2 inches of rain for the year, and that was with a fairly dry late spring and summer. And there is more on the way.

Keith -

Same weather here, fog, rain, drizzle, rain, fog, fog, rain, lows in the high50's to 60's, highs in the 70's. My plants in the garage are dripping dew. Warm weather until midweek, when sunny and cold (lows in the upper 30'sm highs in the 50's) takes over, the coldest so far this year. I have 3" of water standing in my driveway, our soil is totally saturated also. Overall, not too bad, though; it was relatively cold part of last week, but we shouldn't have any frost for another week or so according to the NWS. Normal first hard freeze is December 1-10.

Unfortunately, I had to move my big potted palms in today. My high school workers have finals this week, so they won't be able to work, so in came all the plants without so much as an impending minor freeze. Oh well, at least they are safe.

Good luck to everybody on the beginning of winter. When will spring be here?

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

For the past week weather in N. Calif. has been about as misserable as it can be. First I get two nights of killer freezes, down to about 25 F, then four days of rain, drizzle and no sun. This morning it's so foggy you could cut it with a knife. Temp. is 50F.

All of my frost sensitive plants were turned to mush the first night of the freeze. My temp. probe read 27F, but from the damage to tender stuff I would estimate it got down to 25F or so. I see no damage to any of my palms, in fact they are green and lush with the rains. I'm surprised my Parajubaea TVT was not damaged from the cold, as it was covered with heavy white frost two mornings in a row.

More rain is on the way to Calif. this week. Sure need it and the cloud cover keeps it warmer, if you can call 49/52 F warm, but it beats freezing.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I recieved no rain from the last front that went through. It was just north of the bay area and all I got was some mist. The good new is it was cloudy and temps were milder. Today is the first sunny day I've had in almost 2 weeks. Temps. in the lower 60's and it feels good. No freezing temps. forcast here for the next week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Third flash flood warning in as many weeks. This is one miserable wet winter thus far.

The rainy season has started and I returned from the northern hemisphere ice box to the equatorial winter. My plants surely are loving the weather.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

:drool: :drool: -11,7° C = +10,9° F :rage: :rage: :rage:

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

Here in South Florida we are officially in our dry season as the "rainy season" ended about Oct 15. So far, this dry season has been wetter than our rainy season. We have had a few very good rainy days and a whopper last night. We had 7 inches yesterday and it is still coming down today. One town about 25 miles from me, Hallandale, has had 13 inches yesterday and still more today.

We need all we can get so I am not complaining. The TV/Radio weathermen are loving it because without any hurricanes this year they feel left out. Now they are the big news readers.

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Our rainy season ended abruptly at the end of November like it normally does. The first couple of weeks of December were sunny and dry and I had to water all my potted palms by hand everyday. Daytimes highs have been around 32C (90F). Then yesterday we got hit with 170mm (6.69 inches) of rain and tonight it is raining again. I'll take the rain as long as it lasts...

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Here in South Florida we are officially in our dry season as the "rainy season" ended about Oct 15. So far, this dry season has been wetter than our rainy season. We have had a few very good rainy days and a whopper last night. We had 7 inches yesterday and it is still coming down today. One town about 25 miles from me, Hallandale, has had 13 inches yesterday and still more today.

We need all we can get so I am not complaining. The TV/Radio weathermen are loving it because without any hurricanes this year they feel left out. Now they are the big news readers.

Jerry, I couldn't believe the footage I saw on TV - cars were stranded, the roads looked like canals - Sheridan in Hollywood looked awful! They said that the water was threatening homes, what a mess. Sheesh I hope you all down there are okay, that was one helluva rain. Is your place okay?

The forecast for our coast is kinda discouraging, and we'll be hauling the more sensitive potted plants in tomorrow night. This morning, they said Sunday night into Monday morning would see coastal temps in the 50's and inland would see the low-mid 40's. What a difference a day makes........

This afternoon they're forecasting for Sunday night/Monday morning 40's by the coast and MID-THIRTIES inland, with frost possible everywhere. And by tomorrow morning, the forecast could well deteriorate again :angry:

Cold wet wx - very bad for the tropicals. I'm dreaming of a WARM Christmas!

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It looks like it is going to be a wet Christmas around these parts. The rainy season is here in full force after a 6 month drier than normal dry season.

maoweatherdec20.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I thought I was dying yesterday. I saw this strange bright light shining at the end of a tunnel. Turns out it was real sunlight shining through the bathroom window at the end of the hall. It had been so long since we had a sunny day, I had forgotten that the sun actually shines directly through that window in the morning. Whew, that was a close one, lol.

I thought I was dying yesterday. I saw this strange bright light shining at the end of a tunnel. Turns out it was real sunlight shining through the bathroom window at the end of the hall. It had been so long since we had a sunny day, I had forgotten that the sun actually shines directly through that window in the morning. Whew, that was a close one, lol.

I want to move to Costa Rica!

15.8 inchs of rain so far for december, and cold to boot.

Sounds pretty much like us, Don.

Jerry, I couldn't believe the footage I saw on TV - cars were stranded, the roads looked like canals - Sheridan in Hollywood looked awful! They said that the water was threatening homes, what a mess. Sheesh I hope you all down there are okay, that was one helluva rain. Is your place okay?

The forecast for our coast is kinda discouraging, and we'll be hauling the more sensitive potted plants in tomorrow night. This morning, they said Sunday night into Monday morning would see coastal temps in the 50's and inland would see the low-mid 40's. What a difference a day makes........

This afternoon they're forecasting for Sunday night/Monday morning 40's by the coast and MID-THIRTIES inland, with frost possible everywhere. And by tomorrow morning, the forecast could well deteriorate again :angry:

Cold wet wx - very bad for the tropicals. I'm dreaming of a WARM Christmas!

My place is OK. Almost everywhere around here is very low, mostly less than 10 feet above sea level, my place has very good drainage. North Miami and South Broward really got hit hard with localized flooding. It had to be 20"-24" in two days in some places. At my place it was around 12"13".

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Another big storm is moving ashore over the Pacific NW & will effect the weather over much of the country this week. Could end up being another snow storm for Northeast. The trough will be weak for California but cold air will replace the nice temps. It could drop to near freezing inland later this week [possible frost].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It bottomed out at 41 this morning! Any colder and I'm going to have to start bringing things in! I want this cold front to be over now!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Heavy frost this morning with low around 34. It's winter for sure now.

45F (better than the 43 predicted) on the Isabelle Canal this morning. I'd brought in the Cyrtostachys and Socratea over the weekend but everything else was on its own. Low tonight to be 43F, then back to the 50s. If temps stay above 40 the rest of the winter, I will give thanks.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

43.6F at my house this AM with forecasts looking colder tonight.

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation...sp?ID=KFLTARPO3

Weathermen were off (to the good side) this AM as actual low at my station was 44.3F. Some forecasts weer saying into the 30's.

This is your cue GSN to come blast weathermen :mrlooney:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry,

Weathermen are people too...they are just not very good at predicting temps unfortunately!!! :lol:

Our forecast was bewteen 40F and 42F for Saturday night /Sunday morning for Titusville, depending on which soothsayer you looked at!

Actual temp was 37.1F with frost on roofs and cars, but not on the ground. They missed it (the bad way) 3 to 5 degrees depending on which shaman made the call. :winkie:

The forecast for Sunday night/Monday morning again depending on who cast the BONES was between 38F and 45F! Most were calling for it to be COLDER than the night before, except one. Actual temp was 41.1F, exactly 4 degrees warmer!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I checked two different forcast for Corona Ca they both concoure 27f tonight! It's going to be a clear night and also the longest both adding to the cold factor. Then add in a little artic blast. The good news it will warm up into the 30's the next night and continue to warm up thru xmas Friday. Merry xmas, Randy

test

It is real intersting to have spent a few days in the deep freeze up north with 15 below and now back to my normal climate. It is so nice not to have to be bothered by having to put on a coat, gloves, and hat to go to the supermarket. But, it is important to have all the different places on the globe. The rainy season skies are back with beautiful billowing clouds everywhere and clean air over Amazonia.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Here is some weather over in Europe.

European weather

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Kathryn - I hope your home faired the flooding well.

Its been a cooler than normal December. We're getting pummelled by some of the cold fronts heading off the east coast. Thankfully, the lowest temperature so far has been only 56.5 F. But we've had about 7 days with lows below 60F and have struggled to get past the 70 mark in the last few days with highs between 65 and 68 F. Normally it should be in the 70-74 range...Brrr.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Its been a cooler than normal December. We're getting pummelled by some of the cold fronts heading off the east coast. Thankfully, the lowest temperature so far has been only 56.5 F. But we've had about 7 days with lows below 60F and have struggled to get past the 70 mark in the last few days with highs between 65 and 68 F. Normally it should be in the 70-74 range...Brrr.

Michael, as mild as Miami! :mrlooney:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

That's certainly cool, but not cold by any means...

Keith 

What's worse is the 35 mph winds we had for two days...makes it feel alot colder! And then you have that 'damp' cold feeling due to the high humidity which goes straight to the bones...but I shall count my blessings!

I think the damp cold/cool weather is alot worse than the dry cold. I'm sure you guys in Florida know what I'm talking about!

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

What's worse is the 35 mph winds we had for two days...makes it feel alot colder! And then you have that 'damp' cold feeling due to the high humidity which goes straight to the bones...but I shall count my blessings!

I think the damp cold/cool weather is alot worse than the dry cold. I'm sure you guys in Florida know what I'm talking about!

Oh yeah. Days in the low 50's here don't bother me, but 65 and raining is miserable.

Keith