IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yucca rostrata Damage

freakypalmguy

Hi all,

One of the construction workers at my place backed over this Yucca rostrata and bent it over. It still appears to be somewhat attached in the ground on one side, but seems as though some of the roots or possibly the trunk are broken off under ground. What do you think I should do? Just stake it upright and hope it takes hold? One person told me I should complete the break and root it out in a pot, this scares me a whole bunch. They said that a Yucca like this one would have no problem rooting out and that the remaining stem (if the stem is truely broken) would produce a new head as well. I am making them buy me a new one, even if this has a chance off survival, it will be set back for a year or two. I was really bummed as it had just really started to get some legs and grow at a good clip.

post-1261-1257261823_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Hi all,

One of the construction workers at my place backed over this Yucca rostrata and bent it over.

Bummer Matt. This has been my biggest fear regarding my project. Thus most are still in pots and can be moved.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dear Matt :)

Sorry to hear about that plant but i would suggest cutting that trunk slightly above the damaged area and repot it.And protect it till the new pot is filled with roots.Since i cut all my yucca's in that fashion and multiply my collection.

Here are some visuals from our collection, And all are propogated by cuttings and i have never seen them bloom..

post-108-1257263231_thumb.jpg

A verigated form of the above

post-108-1257263285_thumb.jpg

Wish you all the best with that yucca.

Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I don't have experience with Yucca Rostrata but other yuccas I've grown are pretty resillient.

I've chopped the heads off and stuck them in a pot and they just drop a few leaves but grow new roots pretty quick.

You could just place soil in the cavity just to keep it firmly in place. My guess is that the yucca will continue growing AND will start producing off shoots around the damages area.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

oh yeah and keep it on the dry side. I once stuck the chopped off end in water thinking that I would keep it there until the roots come out-- didn't work. The choped stem actually started rotting away (more like melting away actually) from the end that was in the water

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

BS, I've told this guy that anything they break, they are replacing with something double the size to make up for the lack of growth the replacement plants will have while rooting in.

Excellent Kris and Gene, this was exactly the information I was looking for. I'm going to go dig around it and see it it just ripped the roots or broke the trunk.

Roots = prop it up right where it is

Broken trunk = finish the break and pot it in mostly perlite until it roots.

I've heard it will grow right out of the base of the broken trunk as well, is this true?

Thank you again gents,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

BS, I've told this guy that anything they break, they are replacing with something double the size to make up for the lack of growth the replacement plants will have while rooting in.

That's very nice... :lol:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I've told this guy that anything they break, they are replacing with something double the size to make up for the lack of growth the replacement plants will have while rooting in.

Matt, what do you reckon a plant twice that size will cost? And where would you find one? I'm thinking of Tropic World in Escondido... but would like to know of other sources in the area.

I've told this guy that anything they break, they are replacing with something double the size to make up for the lack of growth the replacement plants will have while rooting in.

Matt, what do you reckon a plant twice that size will cost? And where would you find one? I'm thinking of Tropic World in Escondido... but would like to know of other sources in the area.

Twice that size at Tropic World is about 600 clams. I don't know of any other sources. You

Matt in Temecula, CA