IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California November Weather Thread

osideterry

November is a month where our all time record highs are well into the 90s and our lows have seen 29F (Oceanside Airport).

We have more sunshine days in November than any other month of the year.

At 11:45am my sensor is reading 88.2F, and it was 47F at 7 this morning. It's too hot to do yard work, and so dry you keep dehydrating which can lead to a nasty headache.

Loving the heat though, and living with the lows.

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Today is warm & should stay that way for most of the week. November is a nice change & essentially summer is finally over. Long-range forecasts favor dry & slightly above normal conditions for SoCal but I hope the rain season begins. Last November was very warm & very dry :angry: we need rain!

Only 64F\ 17.7 at my place this morning [foothills were around 10 degrees above readings in the basin].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Pleasant daytime highs in the 70s with cool (in the 40s) look to be in the forecast for the next week or so.

I, for one, am not pleased with the end of summer....my favorite season....with the cold impending, I will have a bleak winter and need a way to deal with it.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Come on John!

We have had one of the nicest Autumns I can remember in a long time. The day time temps. have been much above normal and night time temps in the 40's is normal for this time of the year, but I don't look forward to winter either. I think we suffer a lots more than the palms do. The up side.....things are still growing, but it's getting dry again, and I need to water.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Come on John!

We have had one of the nicest Autumns I can remember in a long time. The day time temps. have been much above normal and night time temps in the 40's is normal for this time of the year, but I don't look forward to winter either. I think we suffer a lots more than the palms do. The up side.....things are still growing, but it's getting dry again, and I need to water.

Dick

Dick,

I am chickenlike with regard to daylight.......when the sun goes down, I want to hit the rack myself. That is why the winter is the worst for me. I got less than half of what I wanted to accomplish completed this year and this disappoints me as well.

You hit the head on the point that we suffer more than the palms do.

However, my Chambeyronia macrocarpa just flushed it first new leaf and I am afraid a cold winter will take care of that. I am trying to decide what to do with my Beccariophoenix alfrediis that doubled in size this year (Ilose my scientific view whaen it comes to winter). I want them to survive the winter, but secretly I want them to thrive, of course. Almost certainly I'll need to protect a number of plants, B. sp. Windowpane comes to mind, A. cunninghamiana, etc...... The banans flowered but the summer was too cool for mature fruit this year...needs more time,....all of the tropcial bamboo needed more heat,......I planted a small Jacaranda this year as a street tree...it was blown over by the last windstorm but survived,....maybe not through the winter.

Yes, its still true,..I do not like winter....I'll survive it, of course, just like most of my garden...

John Case

Brentwood CA

Today should be the last of the warm weather\ near 90F\ 32.2C [last night remained above 70F in some foothill locales - 64F\ 17.7C here].

Strong coastal flow will set in for the rest of the week though rainfall is unlikely in SoCal. Next week returns to warm & dry.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

ok guys try to guess - without googling it

how many days of 80 f + weather have i had this year ?

7 miles inland in san diego

dont look it up !

Edited by trioderob

dont look it up !

Just a stab... 60?

dont look it up !

Just a stab... 60?

I have had for 2009:

87 days at 80f +/- 1

if we drop to 77F which I think is the bottom end for any kind of real palm growth it goes to 106 days so far this year.

On the other hand, I would probably number about 25 days..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

dont look it up !

Just a stab... 60?

I have had for 2009:

87 days at 80f +/- 1

if we drop to 77F which I think is the bottom end for any kind of real palm growth it goes to 106 days so far this year.

I'm 7 miles inland also... woo hoo! All I know is after last weekend with high 80s, my palms haven't been informed Summer is over.

I'm about a mile and a quarter from Dana point harbor and the fog has been super thick the past 2 days...been hear'in the fog horn at he inlet steadily. Don't have my temperature gauges up yet(just moved) but the lows are getting near the 40F line, if not penetrating them already. It still gets hot when the sun is out at noon but summer is definitely over here.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

Neutral gradient today so warm inland again but cooling everywhere. Marine air for a few days a welcome relief.

hi 83F\ 28.3C

lo 60F\ 15.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Today seemed cooler than yesterday with some clouds and a few sprinkles rolling in. Mostly virga, though.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

At my place cooler days in the mid 60's to low 70's, and nights dropping to the mid 40's. Almost like clock work, I can expect my first light frost around Nov. 15th. Do any of you weather guys see any fronts headed toward Calif. mid Nov? I paid $100 for a gallon of FrostPruf, so it darn well had better work. This will be the first year we can test it.

Dick

Richard Douglas

The action is a massive spinning low up in the Gulf of Alaska. Pacific NW is receiving heavy rain\ snow. The entire coastline down to Baja is experiencing heavy surf.

Dick, the pattern lately is zonal so rainfall tends to stay north of California this coming week. Cool & sunny becoming warmer into mid-week.

lo: 54F\ 12.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We are predicted 60s with a potential of rain mid-week.......we went pretty quickly from the 80s to the 60s .......maybe more rain this years....

John Case

Brentwood CA

What a change in one week. Cloudy and cool. It feels more like April than November.

Another weak storm is slowly moving thru the state but rain chances are nearly zero south of Pt. Conception. The dying front will usher in cooler air and clouds. Usual hot spots touched 90F\ 32.2C yesterday [ie. Riverside\ San Pasqual\ Woodland Hills] and this morning is very mild with some hillside regions only dropping to near 70F\ 21.1C.

Lo: 64F\ 17.7

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Heads Up :unsure:

Cold air is following a series of weak fronts and frost is definitely a possibility in wind-sheltered\ low-lying regions of SoCal especially San Diego county this weekend. NWS is predicting 40F or above just about everywhere but we know the frost-prone areas could easily drop into the 30's [ie. Temecula\ Oceanside\ Ramona].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Heads Up :unsure:

Cold air is following a series of weak fronts and frost is definitely a possibility in wind-sheltered\ low-lying regions of SoCal especially San Diego county this weekend. NWS is predicting 40F or above just about everywhere but we know the frost-prone areas could easily drop into the 30's [ie. Temecula\ Oceanside\ Ramona].

AwwPoo! :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Just as expected winter tempetaures have arrived in N. Calif. My low was 35F this morning and frost on the roof tops. It is almost like clock work when we get our first frosts..........usually around Nov 14-16th. There was wide spread frost in the inland valleys of the Bay Area this morning. Rain expected later this week and the cloud cover should warm things up. We definately need some rain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick,

Reports this morning are for good chances of rain on Wednesday and Friday.....Let's hope so.

I have started moving my more sensitive plants into protected areas. The cold here only got to 37F so far. Probably because I am a little higher up than surrounding areas.

I still hate the cold. My right knee is stiffening and it hurts.

John Case

Brentwood CA

46F this morn in O'side for me. I suspect colder tonite. :(

Come on John!

Dick

Dick,

I am chickenlike with regard to daylight.......when the sun goes down, I want to hit the rack myself. That is why the winter is the worst for me. I got less than half of what I wanted to accomplish completed this year and this disappoints me as well.

However, my Chambeyronia macrocarpa just flushed it first new leaf and I am afraid a cold winter will take care of that. I am trying to decide what to do with my Beccariophoenix alfrediis that doubled in size this year (Ilose my scientific view whaen it comes to winter). I want them to survive the winter, but secretly I want them to thrive, of course. Almost certainly I'll need to protect a number of plants, B. sp. Windowpane comes to mind, A. cunninghamiana, etc...... The banans flowered but the summer was too cool for mature fruit this year...needs more time,....all of the tropcial bamboo needed more heat,......I planted a small Jacaranda this year as a street tree...it was blown over by the last windstorm but survived,....maybe not through the winter.

Yes, its still true,..I do not like winter....I'll survive it, of course, just like most of my garden...

I understand EXACTLY how you feel, John! The early darkness really makes me dissatisfied (and actually out-of-sync) and left with so many undone tasks. We have another month to go of shorterning days, before the looong climb up in daily light reverses itself.

I guess I can stand another month of increasingly early darknesssbut I'll certainly feel a bit disoriented!

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Come on John!

Dick

Dick,

I understand EXACTLY how you feel, John! The early darkness really makes me dissatisfied (and actually out-of-sync) and left with so many undone tasks. We have another month to go of shorterning days, before the looong climb up in daily light reverses itself.

I guess I can stand another month of increasingly early darknesssbut I'll certainly feel a bit disoriented!

Paul

I self-disorient myself often (a bottle of wine will do that) and I am comfortable with it. Besides, ny wife tells me I don't know what I'm talking about much of the time....disorientation is a way of life for me.

However, I look at what occurred in the growth of my plants this year, my new interest in begonias, new alliances with some local nurseries, things on the hobby side look pretty good. I just need to deal with the fact that I don't live in the tropics and that things take a break around here fro a few months. By the end of February, I'll be back at it.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

November has been following the usual pattern of increasing cold fronts that generally wash-out around Pt. Conception but bring cooler air. Hopefully rain will finally happen in SoCal. In the meantime it's been sunny & mild\ near 80F\ 26.6C. The very dry air allows for considerable cooling depending on one's terrain. Some 30's were reported mostly inland [Chino\ Oceanside, etc.] but mostly 50's in metro lowlands [LA basin\ Orange co. coastal plain]. Downtown did record 49F\ 9.4C on Saturday a.m. & Santa Ana hit 45F\ 7.2C Monday. Lowest 5-night minimum for me was 52F\ 11.1C. Some foothill locations were near 60F\ 15.5C for entire cold snap [Friday to Monday] due to gusty diurnal winds.

Winter season is when micro climates become evident & matter when frost is in the dry air\ single digit dew points.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

43F yesterday, 50F last night. It's very dry. The bottle palm is spotting on the old leaves already.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

It's been down to the low 40s all week, but happy to say I haven't seen below 41F. Somehow, the Oceanside Airport recorded 34F Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

44F in the open, 47F under canopy, this morning. Bottle palm & Pritchardia pacifica continue to spot more and more with each night in the 40's. Carpoxylon, Satakentia, & Pritchardia thurstonii look perfect.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Wow, it's been cold down south! This morning and Friday morning last week dipped just below 10C (50F), and I had one morning (Tues?) just below 9C (48F). No spotting yet...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Here's NOAA's forecast for December rainfall :mrlooney:

decemberrainforecast.gif

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Thanks for the Precip forcast. It looks like it will be wet in most of the palmy places in Dec, just hope it pans out.

I can tell there is a front approaching the bay area this morning, as the airplanes going into SFO and OAK are flying over my house. This means they are landing to the South, and a southerly wind always precedes a frontal passage. Usually I can count on rain in about 2 hours after I hear the planes flying overhead. Very scientific, huh?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Just as I figgured, the rain fizzled over the Bay Area. I got very little rain, maybe 1/3 inch, if that much. My reward is the cold air behind it. This is not unusual for the first fronts of the year to fizzle out around the Golden Gate. I expect they got much more rain to the north.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Just as I figgured, the rain fizzled over the Bay Area. I got very little rain, maybe 1/3 inch, if that much. My reward is the cold air behind it. This is not unusual for the first fronts of the year to fizzle out around the Golden Gate. I expect they got much more rain to the north.

Dick

Dick

As usual, the weak storm totally washed out even before reaching Pt. Conception & I don't think the San Joaquin valley picked up any rainfall either. November is an "iffy" month for statewide rainfall but next month should provide stronger storms. The Pacific NW has been slammed with powerful Pacific storms for over a month; eventually that moisture will hold together enough for California to get in on the action. What's even more encouraging is that the ENSO region 4 area of the equator is at it's warmest right now. That's the section of the Pacific tropics that most commonly generates storms for California during El Nino years. Can't wait! :wub:

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

IT'S POURING! :yay:

ANOTHER DOWNPOUR! :yay::badday::drool:

Now Thunder... Pardon my excitement, but it's been 5 years since I heard thunder, and 9 months since I've seen heavy rain.

post-662-1259427661_thumb.jpg

Just the difference a few miles makes.

I suspect I've MAYBE picked up a quarter inch of rain.. :(