IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My north portuguese palm garden zone 9b

Rafael

In my 400 m2 garden i have some species of palms.

Look at them.

How i love them and take care of them!

SEVEN SYAGRUS ROMANZOFIANA

ONE ARCHONTOPHOENIX ALEXANDRAE

TWO SABAL PALMETTO

ONE WASHINGTONIANA FILIFERA

ONE CHAMAEROPS EXCELSA

ONE BUTIA CAPITATA

I will go on bying more species.

I am thinking in brahea armata and in archontophoenix cunninghamia.

I will add more photos later.

Thank u for your interest

post-3292-1256410934_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256410943_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256410951_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256410959_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256410978_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256410989_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256411002_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256411010_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

Very nice B. capitata.

Have you grown those palms, of have bought as mature ones?

By the way, sounds very good your Archontophoenix survive -4ºC. How does it look after the winter?

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Hi spanish friend,

In these photos i havent included b. capitata yet.

I will tomorrow.

All these palms were bought with this size, in the last 20 months.

My archie was bought in March. Well i hope it will be all right in winter.

This summer it developed so so much that i am hopeful.

Do you grow palms?

Nice yard! If you are in zone 9b, might I suggest a Beccariophoenix alfredii for the next palm you plant? It will be hardy to your zone, if you give it full sun it will grow fast, and it's the best coconut mimic I've ever seen. It's definitely worth a try

Keith

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Rafael,suas palmeiras são uma beleza!!!

You also have to buy some Butia eriospatha for the fruits! Parajubaeas and Jubaeas and yes,also Beccariophoenix alfredii!!.......Isso vira uma doeça.... :lol::rolleyes:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Hi Zeeth, i will focus on your suggestion, however we have here, and in Spain, few references about this palm.

I will look for it, and try to find it wherever!

Thanks.

Hi Zeeth, i will focus on your suggestion, however we have here, and in Spain, few references about this palm.

I will look for it, and try to find it wherever!

Thanks.

I think you will be very happy with this palm. The biggest problem is acquiring it where you're at. If you can't find any seedling palms where you are, you could always order some seeds from RPS. They are 7,60 Euro for a packet of 10. Immediate gratification is nice, but growing a palm from seed you sprouted yourself is nice too!

Keith

Keith 

I will follow all your suggestions, and - believe, if i am sucessful on geting into those palms, i will upload photos including all them!

Rafael,

You palms look great. Portugal is on my list of places to go. Hopefully I will make it there someday.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Thanks, dk, i might upload diferents perspectives os my palms, and i hope i will improve my palm team!

I have a dream, visit Brasil, and go uuuuuunyil Amazonas, where my grandgrandmother went several years ago!

Rafael, your garden is beautiful! It looks like you have a lot more room for palms! :)

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great work so far, Rafael. I see your alexandrae has flowered. I'm still waiting for my largest one to flower, yet mey second to largest one had flowered twice (no seed yet, though).

I know how you must feel about palm growing. Palm growing is very gratifying to me. If only I didn't have occassional set backs ever 2-3 winters (like this past winter).

I suspect one day you will have your entire yard over planted with palms. But that should be a good thing!

Mad about palms

Your garden looks very happy and healthy. Archontophoenix cunninghamia and A. purpurae are both more cold tolerant than A. alexandrae. Other Australian palms that should do well in your garden are Livistona australis, L. eungella range, Orianopsis appendiculata, (if you have good shelter and drainage for that one) Laccospadix australisca and Linospadix monostachya. Some of the Chamaedoreas are quite good in the cold climates too. Your A. alexandrae will probably be all right, but be warned that frost will burn the leaves. They come back eventually but it slows them down a great deal

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Thanks Peachy, i will look for those palms, or for seeds, however i have never grown seeds, so i ingnore the procedures.

Anyway, i couldnt find Orianopsis appendiculata and Laccospadix australisca photos, maybe because they are rare. Even when i googled it, no matches found!!!!

I am uploading other perspectives, wich are also including one butia capitata.

post-3292-1256486839_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256486848_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256486856_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256486865_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1256486873_thumb.jpg

Hi spanish friend,

In these photos i havent included b. capitata yet.

I will tomorrow.

All these palms were bought with this size, in the last 20 months.

My archie was bought in March. Well i hope it will be all right in winter.

This summer it developed so so much that i am hopeful.

Do you grow palms?

Ooops, I thought this palm (second on the left in below line, in first group of pics)

was the B. capitata.

Yes, I do grow palms, hundreds of palms.

I have read somebody recomend you B. alfredii. so do I. Is more or less easy to find one in Europe. Try sending an email to Albert, alber_2001@yahoo.es

The web page is in construction. www.jardindelmediterraneo.com better link directly to

jardindelmediterraneo

Other site is Prince of palms, by John in Andalucia, is a member of this forum. I think sometimes has offer B. alfredii.

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Look at them.

TWO SABAL PALMETTO

ONE CHAMAEROPS EXCELSA

ONE BUTIA CAPITATA

Olá bonito jardim e bom gosto por as palmeiras.

my all plants Visit My Website

my palms Visit My Website

Hi Raphael

Here are links for you

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Laccospadix/australasica.html

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Oraniopsis/appendiculata.html (time for Daryl to update these photo's with the newer ones he has.)

Your place looks great with a lot more room for more palms

regards

Colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Thank u Colin and "canelgat" for your links, i am on its way already.

I am thinking about growing palms, since little, and since seeds.

I love the idea!

But there is a lot of things i must read about to do this.

My actual palms are mature, almost all of them, and they dont need so much care as little do.

By the way canelgat, the palm you thought was a butia is realy a small sabal palmetto.

Here is a 1st floor window perspective of a new leaf opening in archontophoenix alexandrae, in late warm unexpected autumn days! However, somes days later, with much strong winds it has opened almost totaly and showed yellow coloured.

And then i did provide supplys.

I hope it faces strongly the freeze and little frost days of december and january.

post-3292-1256575912_thumb.jpg

In these days i am buying some seedling species, the first time (i have only been buying mature and almost mature palms).

I have many doubts about theis needs.

Specially on what concerns to the most apropriate soil.

Vermiculite i know is good, but what more?

Nice garden Rafael, good looking palms! Wishing you all the best with your new love of palms... Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Rafael and Sérgio,

I have a large palm collection too. Would you like to come over and see my garden?

Rafael, I know Furadouro pretty well. I think I have gone past your place this past summer. I usually eat at the restaurante O tasco when I am there. Sometimes I go to the beach there.

Sérgio,

Nice pics of your garden and plants.

Jason

P.S. Forgot to write that I live near Vagos

Edited by Jason Baker Portugal

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Rafael, here is a link to Canarius in Tenerife, they have Becarriophoenix, both alfredii and madagascariensis

http://www.canarius.com/plants/palms/beccariophoenix-sp

Regards Andy

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Jv: thanks, and the same to you in dreamland Texas (one day i will fly to Texas)

Jason Baker: what a surprise, a member near my city. Of course i would like to visit your garden. Do you sell palms?

Andy: thanks, but i have already bought an alfredii seedling, it didnt arrive yet. Of course, i wanted a medium size alfredii, but i think its dificult to find!

Jv: thanks, and the same to you in dreamland Texas (one day i will fly to Texas)

Jason Baker: what a surprise, a member near my city. Of course i would like to visit your garden. Do you sell palms?

Andy: thanks, but i have already bought an alfredii seedling, it didnt arrive yet. Of course, i wanted a medium size alfredii, but i think its dificult to find!

You bought a B. alfredii? Neat, I think you'll be very pleased when it gets to some size. Make sure it gets a lot of sun, so it grows at it's fastest.

Keith 

Keith,

well, i am not sure if i can put it outside, because in a month ot two some nights here bring some frost.

Of course i could bring it for the night, inside home. But will it like full sun, in this baby size?

Keith,

well, i am not sure if i can put it outside, because in a month ot two some nights here bring some frost.

Of course i could bring it for the night, inside home. But will it like full sun, in this baby size?

Well, I suggest you keep it in for the frosts, but outside otherwise. The frosts probably won't hurt it any, but it never hurts to be sure. From what I've heard, they can take full sun from very young, but I suggest to slowly acclimate it to full sun, so it doesn't go into shock. I suggest you read the Freeze damage data thread here: http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=8924

How many days of frost per year do you have, and how heavy? This palm is very new, so almost everyone with any experience with it is here on this website. I'm very excited for this palm, and I think everyone who thinks they are warm enough should try it.

Keith 

Here we have 12/15 frost days per year, with temperatures between 0º and -4º (-4 one or two nights).

Soon i wil upload photos of this alfredii baby, o k?

Thanks!

Here we have 12/15 frost days per year, with temperatures between 0º and -4º (-4 one or two nights).

Soon i wil upload photos of this alfredii baby, o k?

Thanks!

You should be fine with a Beccariophoenix alfredii, but I would recommend protecting it during the frosts. At the very least during it's seedling stage. It should be fine once it gets to some size though.

Keith 

Rafael, I was in furadouro last night at "O Tasco". Pm me privately so we can exchange contacts. Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Look at them.

TWO SABAL PALMETTO

ONE CHAMAEROPS EXCELSA

ONE BUTIA CAPITATA

Hi nice palms you got there! i got to move to s

outhern europe when i see your garden

One thing , dont think your palm is not called Chamaerops exselsa but Trachycarpus fortunei? its a common mistake but C exsela is not jused any more.

peter

Ceroxylon quindiuense!!! Where is it available??? Where is (Wally) Waxy? Can anybody tell me?

Edited by rafael

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Went to a nursery in Algarve, and bought four new palms. :drool:

One howea belmoreana, one bismarkia nobilis, one brahea armata and one ravenea rivularis.

Considering that they came from a 10a to a 9b zone, and considering also its size, i am thinking about leting them outdoors during day and bring them indoors spending the night, until springtime.

I would be gratefull hearing your advisements.

post-3292-1263748785_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1263748814_thumb.jpg

As you can see they will stand cover protected by roof, and facing south and east.

And also wind protected.

Should they spend nights outdoors when temperature raises 4ºC (39ºF) or more?

post-3292-1263749216_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1263749228_thumb.jpg

Hi Rafael! :)

Great new palms you got there! :drool: Yours palms are Howea fosteriana,Brahea armata,Ravenea rivularis and Bismarckia nobilis ''Silver'',in that order. I dont see any Howea belmoreana.

You could do what you say as long as you position the Ravenea and the Howea in shade as they will probably burn in sun,being shade grown. You can however let your Bismarckia nobilis and Brahea armata sit outside permanently in full sun as they will take it without problems and will be better than in the shade of the house. Just bring the Bismarckia in when temprature is predicted to fall to near 0C or under it to not risk any freeze damage. Your Brahea will be fine outside even in the coldest of the nights :)

I would love to see a photo of your large Howea and how its doing after the -3C. I hope its not too bad :)

• Upvote 1

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''