IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My north portuguese palm garden zone 9b

Rafael

Beautiful landscape, amigo. The Cham "vulcano" is a dream palm for me...

Abração.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Palms looking great Rafael!!! :) I especially like your Sabal domingensis and Trithrinax acanthocoma!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hey Rafael, you have certainly searched out those palm species that are more suited to your climate and trying others that may be more marginal too. Good for you! I enjoyed seeing how and where you planted them in your two gardens. I couldn't find or see where you planted that big Lodoicea, however.

All around a good big job - Congratulations!

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

I'm interested in hearing about your Rhopi's and how they are handling your climate.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks Gileno! Come and get a cham vulcano for you :) Grande abraço!

Thanks Kostas :) Actually i am not growing dominguensis in the ground. Just Sabal Palmetto, Sabal Causarium and Sabal Uresana.

All, i have the pleasure of growing different palms in two gardens not too far from each other (5km), but with quite different microclimate. The Loidoicea is the next to be planted, you know, it is pretty common here ;)

David, my rophies are growing in my other garden (http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/31527-my-new-garden-ovar-january2012/page-2) and are growing very well :)

Rafael, please keep posting, you are achieving a great work and (like many others around here), I really enjoy your updates and enthusiasm.

The palms must look nice at the end of a growing season... Can't wait to see them!

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Hey Rafael :)

According to post #64 you do are growing Sabal domingensis,unless that palm turned out to be S. causiarum. My 2 are supposed to be S. causiarum but with these 2 both found on the Dominican Republic,who knows? I guess we will find out in a few years but the good thing is,both of those species are awesome and huge,so it doesn't make much difference! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for seeds and small plants from the southern highlands of Brazil. I have some orchids, Calathea louisae, some bromilliads and a palm Lytocarium hohenei but want seeds of L. hohenei and insignis as well as more of your cool tolerant and somewhat frost tolerant plants. Please contact me Alberto as the system is blocking me from sending you an email. BrianRBruning@gmail.com

Brian Bruning

• 2 months later...

Time to start updating the status of my first (and still mine) yard.

Right now, just a couple of pics, as i am out in Azores, working. 

Soon i will come back with more pics :interesting:

butia yatay and phoenix sylvestris - 4 and 2 years in the ground.

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

On 20 de novembro de 2013, 23:40:35, Kostas said:

Hey Rafael :)

According to post #64 you do are growing Sabal domingensis,unless that palm turned out to be S. causiarum. My 2 are supposed to be S. causiarum but with these 2 both found on the Dominican Republic,who knows? I guess we will find out in a few years but the good thing is,both of those species are awesome and huge,so it doesn't make much difference! :)

Kostas, the supposedly dominguensis was transplanted, since it was too frost sensitive and almost dead. 

Now it is happily growing in my other garden, with some frost exposition but less salt stress.

As soon as possible i will create a thread with updates pics, wondering if it is really dominguensis or causiarum, unless ;)

Sorry for taking so long to answer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2015, 10:36:57, Rafael said:

Time to start updating the status of my first (and still mine) yard.

Right now, just a couple of pics, as i am out in Azores, working. 

Soon i will come back with more pics :interesting:

butia yatay and phoenix sylvestris - 4 and 2 years in the ground.

image.jpeg

Great garden Rafael...I can see that you plant them in grass land ...my main yard is also Grass, I had this idea to get rid of grass completely ( the area I want to plant palms) and cover with mulch but looking at your garden gives me the idea that plant them on Grass is not that bad idea ( and definitely less hard work/cost)

I wanted to plant my Butia Capitata , alfreidii and few bigger ones there ...se below my site (R.R been planted at front already so should be replaced with other type) ...any advise on this ?

sde.thumb.jpg.2f4acfca39f075eb7458b5f967dbab34.jpg

yard-main.thumb.jpg.0435a83ec57237eefb63798407sse1b74f.jpg

You have space enough and no counterindication to place those palms following that scheme.

Growing palms on a grass garden provides a neat and beautifull landscape. BUT you have to water the grass at least daily which can cause some palms overwatering stress.

1 hour ago, Rafael said:

You have space enough and no counterindication to place those palms following that scheme.

Growing palms on a grass garden provides a neat and beautifull landscape. BUT you have to water the grass at least diary which can cause some palms overwatering stress.

As Rafael did in his other garden (I think I remember) , why don't you remove the grass of this not so huge surface, and try either ground covers or mulch?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

On 11/28/2015, 9:36:15, doranakandawatta said:

As Rafael did in his other garden (I think I remember) , why don't you remove the grass of this not so huge surface, and try either ground covers or mulch?

Thanks Philippe

That is my main plan to get rid of Grass...I was getting a bit lazy to seek a shortcut ;)

11 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Thanks Philippe

That is my main plan to get rid of Grass...I was getting a bit lazy to seek a shortcut ;)

Here's what you should do ;)

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Rafael said:

Here's what you should do ;)

image.jpeg

Good idea Rafael

I will invite two of my friends for lunch at the weekend and then we will have a bit of fun together ,,,;)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mohsen said:

Good idea Rafael

I will invite two of my friends for lunch at the weekend and then we will have a bit of fun together ,,,;)

:D dont forget to take pictures and share the ravishment! 

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2015, 4:03:16, Mohsen said:

after :

It tool more mulch than I thought 16 bags of 30 Liter...

IMG_3177.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

sure thing...I am not sure if I want to use the cardboard method ( as I did before ) or get rid of the grass completely ...

I have removed it completely (no root competition with the palms about to being planted). And took the risk of putting no plastic between the soil and the wood chips. Off course you will have more work digging the weeds. But i am glad i decided this natural way.

• Upvote 1

I have removed it completely (no root competition with the palms about to being planted). And took the risk of putting no plastic between the soil and the wood chips. Off course you will have more work digging the weeds. But i am glad i decided this natural way.

Thanks Rafael

I will remove them completely too ...

• Upvote 1