IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My north portuguese palm garden zone 9b

Rafael

If you keep them under shelter they will all be fine outside overnight. I have all of those species here planted in the ground and only the Howea needs a little frost protection when young. Regarding the pot problem, you can either cut the roots away with sharp clean secateurs or break the pot and cut around the holes so the roots are untouched. Personally I would choose to trim the roots.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Very handsome garden, Rafael B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Hi Rafael! :)

Great new palms you got there! :drool: Yours palms are Howea fosteriana,Brahea armata,Ravenea rivularis and Bismarckia nobilis ''Silver'',in that order. I dont see any Howea belmoreana.

You could do what you say as long as you position the Ravenea and the Howea in shade as they will probably burn in sun,being shade grown. You can however let your Bismarckia nobilis and Brahea armata sit outside permanently in full sun as they will take it without problems and will be better than in the shade of the house. Just bring the Bismarckia in when temprature is predicted to fall to near 0C or under it to not risk any freeze damage. Your Brahea will be fine outside even in the coldest of the nights :)

I would love to see a photo of your large Howea and how its doing after the -3C. I hope its not too bad :)

Hi Kostas, nice to see you again!

My new howea was sold as a belmoreana.

Would you put howea and ravenea spending night outdoors, with temperature above 0ºC?

My bigger howea is too bad to take a pic.

I am afraid she developed somehow a root disease brought from indoors, and freeze (3 back to back nights with -1,8ºC, -2,6ºC, -3,8ºC; latter two back to back nights with -0,5ºC, and later, one night -3,6ºC; the two -3ºC nights had some not light frost) and a little frost just anticipate its consequences.

Anyway, soon i will take a photo.

Its leaves are completely burn, only the new spear is not damaged, as far as it shows.

Edited by rafael

Peachy: Thanks a lot for your advisements, precious to a beginner :rolleyes: !

Happ: you are kind, and i adore to hear those words about my lovely palm garden! :drool:

I would also say that your new Howea is a forsteriana. The belmoreana has more recurved leaves. This is a good thing though, as forsteriana is a nice palm, and you would have needed another anyway if your other one dies.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Hi Rafael!

Great to hear news from you and your beautyfull garden too!

Your Howea doesnt seem like a H. belmoreana to me,it sure isnt a very lax H. fosteriana right now but its already too lax for a belmoreana i think. Lets see how the next few leafs will look like...

Personally,if the Howea and Ravenea are destined to be planted outside in spring,yes,i would let them outside on the above 0C nights but protect during freezes(especially anything below -1C).If they are destined as indoor plants however i wouldnt keep them outside during cold night as it would be useless while now it isnt as they will start acclimating to lower tempratures and produce hardier leafs than they have growing protected. If they are to be planted in the ground in spring,i would place them in a brighter spot that there for sun acclimation too like under the palm seen near them :)

I think your Howea will probably recover if the spear lives although it will take quite some time to do that due to this species slow growth. Just dont water it more than once every 2 weeks with the cool/cold weather that prevails now as it doesnt need it at all. It will also help it overcome any fungal issues it may have with its root system too. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it and a close up of the spear maybe :)

Regarding your question about repotting a palm with roots coming out of its drainage holes,i always cut the pot between the drainage holes and remove the whole bottom that way and then,after placing the palm in its final position or in a new pot,i cut the side of the pot too and remove it :)

P.s.: I am with Keith,i like H. fosteriana much much much better than belmoreana... :)

Wish you the best for your big Howea! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Rafael, I agree with Kosta's comments on #40 the most, and most of the other comments here too.

BUT, Kostas! I don't think my H. belmoreana looks ugly! :D:lol:

post-27-1263760655_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Of course its not Bill! :) Its a looker too and quite beautyfull(and excellently grown i must say :) ) but if i had to choose between the belmoreana and your big fosteriana,i would choose your fosteriana any day! :drool: Belmoreanas are beautyfull too but the fosteriana is the definition of palm excellence in my eyes! :mrlooney: Along with droopy coconuts,Veitchia joannis,Clinostigma samoensis,Ceroxylon echinulatum,Euterpe precatoria,Acanthophoenix rubra,Neoveitchia storckii,Orania palindan and the list goes on... :drool:

Of course its not Bill! :) Its a looker too and quite beautyfull(and excellently grown i must say :) ) but if i had to choose between the belmoreana and your big fosteriana,i would choose your fosteriana any day! :drool: Belmoreanas are beautyfull too but the fosteriana is the definition of palm excellence in my eyes! :mrlooney: Along with droopy coconuts,Veitchia joannis,Clinostigma samoensis,Ceroxylon echinulatum,Euterpe precatoria,Acanthophoenix rubra,Neoveitchia storckii,Orania palindan and the list goes on... :drool:

Wow, your list just crushed me! Here i go again looking for new suggestions...

Yeah,those are real beauties :drool: But of all the above,only Acanthophoenix rubra and Ceroxylon echinulatum may grow for you,the rest stand no chance more or less unfortunately...Some stand no chance for me too...

• 1 month later...

These days, i went to a south Portugal nursery, and brought with me three new palms to put in the ground, immediately.

My doubts are where to put them, in full sun or not, house sheltered or not, wind exposure nor not, and so one...

Here they are, just on deck...

Arenga Engleriipost-3292-12676305068646_thumb.jpg

Livistona Decipienspost-3292-1267630587659_thumb.jpg

Chamaerops humilis, var. vulcanopost-3292-1267630663174_thumb.jpg

Wow, great palms! And not cheap I suppose...

They are all suitable for full sun exposure and I don't think you'll need protection for those in your climate. All can take a lot of cold, between -6C (arenga) and -10C (the other two).

Edited by basilios

Paleo Faliro, coastal Athens, Greece

Lat 37° 55' 33" N - Lon 23° 42' 34" E

Zone 9b/10a, cool winters, hot summers, coastal effect

These days, i went to a south Portugal nursery, and brought with me three new palms to put in the ground, immediately.

My doubts are where to put them, in full sun or not, house sheltered or not, wind exposure nor not, and so one...

Here they are, just on deck...

Arenga Engleriipost-3292-12676305068646_thumb.jpg

Livistona Decipienspost-3292-1267630587659_thumb.jpg

Chamaerops humilis, var. vulcanopost-3292-1267630663174_thumb.jpg

Hi rafael, nice palms you picked up. One thing about those species is that you won't have to worry about them being hurt from freezes and frosts. Maybe, the A. engleri might get some frost burn if the temperature was to drop maybe down to -4 or -5 C. Only once in nine years has my largest A. engleri had any frost burn, and that was in 2002, and only to the top fronds, not the lower fronds.

I personal think the Arenga engleri will look better if it's not in full sun all day long. I have two of them in the ground and the one in more shade (very broken sun through other trees) always looked better. The one in full sun seems to yellow more, but I think it's also has a mineral deficiency that I've been trying to correct.

I really like A. engleri and even bought another one this past fall, but it's still small and in a pot, but I am going to plant it in the ground later this month.

Below are three photos with explanation captions:

1092363833042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

The above photo shows my largest Arenga engleri when I first planted it, as a 5 gallon size

2195216570042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

The above photo shows my Arenga engleri seven years later. Late last year (2009) one of the trunks set a large bunce of seeds for the first time. The seeds still aren't ripe yet.

2336806040042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

The above photo shows my other Arenga engleri I have planted in more shade. It doesn't have shade now as the bay trees around it died from Laurel Wilt disease.

Mad about palms

Rafel, parabens!

They all can take full sun (eventually) and lots of wind. Did you see my largest a engleri? It doesn´t grow as fast here as it does in florida. It will eventually be big (up to 5m diametre) as will chamaerops (3m and takes a lot longer). I think arenga transplants well so if it gets too big then no prob (please correct me if I´m wrong).

See you soon.

Abraço

Jason

Jason Baker

Central coastal Portugal

Zone 10a, 1300mm rain

warm-temperate, oceanic climate

looking for that exotic tropical island look

Basilios: they were a bit expensive, but i am not worried about that, because they are perfect, and can be fine here.

Walt: Your arenga look great, and has grown quite fast. Mine, for now, has only a single trunk, but i think it will sidely develop...

Jason: I do not remember if i saw your arenga. Maybe i did not realize what it was. See you soon too!

• 3 weeks later...

After some shopping around (near me, 500 km away, or, as i told before, 1300 km away), during February and March, i have found a good moment to put a lot of new palms on the ground!

Here they are, and here am i, updating my garden's look! :drool:

post-3292-12695554453407_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695555371455_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695555917183_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695556286974_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695556585367_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695556949832_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695557342924_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695557716037_thumb.jpg

post-3292-1269555805902_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695558618908_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695558986042_thumb.jpg

post-3292-12695559737944_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

Great palms you got there Rafael!drool.gif Well chosen toosmilie.gif Looking forward to seeing them grow for you!smilie.gif

Nice additions Rafael! a good choice of palms for your area. those C. humilis vulcanos are too cool.

Walt, those are some nice arengas! one of my favorites

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Instant landscape!

Nice work Rafael!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looking very nice.

May i ask how many euro's you paid for the vulcano over there in Portugal?

Robbin

Southwest

Rafael, Portugal looks great as does your growing Palm collection. Exactly how close to the Atlantic are you and how far North(latitude)? Also, are your hedges trimmed Ficus benjamin?

What you look for is what is looking

My garden just thanks you all for the replies! :D

Concerning to the vulcano palm, Robbin, i can tell you it was the less expensive... I have bought it at a nursery near Portimão, Algarve (south Portugal).

Bubba, i am living just 900 mts away from the coast, and i have that climate influence. My latitude is 40.87043006899356. You are welcome here! :)

For now, my landscaping idea is palms, palms and palms, just them! I only have two pinus pinea that were planted just few months before i get the palm bug :drool: , and now i feel sorry :( about the idea of replacing them!

Anyway, i am still working on purchasing new things (medium sized palms), just to plant them before summer!

• 1 month later...

I wish we could get nice big size palms like those in the tougher species. I love the Sabal dominguenis and the Trithanax. Very hard to get here and when available they are so tiny. No point buying some of them because I would be dead or senile before they looked good. And of course I would trade my mother for a C.vulcano. You must have a big car...when I come home from palm shopping my little car looks like a jungle on wheels. I can just see enough out the windows to be able to drive home.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Rafael, do you intend to carve up the lawn at some stage and create more groupings?

Peachy: I have already traveled for 1300 Km seeing trough palm leafs... :D . Little domingensis and acanthocoma will thrive for my son and daughters! :lol:

John: That's exactly my idea, i almost have some kind of grouping! Maybe my yard will be richer when i buy some new exotics in princeofpalms! :)

Dundo: Thanks a lot! By the way, nice looking bay! :D

Edited by rafael

• 5 weeks later...

Two new acquisitions! :drool:

Miss Jubaea post-3292-12757653212378_thumb.jpg

Miss Livistona Lanuginosapost-3292-12757653905062_thumb.jpg

Thanks Marcus!

Dont be worried, Jamjv, the old one replaced is now potted, waiting for a miracle. :hmm:

• 1 year later...

Bump!

To share a couple of pics.

Livistona nitida

post-3292-070401000 1318801782_thumb.jpg

Rophies and royals.

post-3292-096962500 1318801820_thumb.jpg

c. vulcano

post-3292-064857300 1318801860_thumb.jpg

sheltered spot

post-3292-040054300 1318801885_thumb.jpg

Rafael: Your palms look good. I know some of your palms (A. alexandrae?) were cold damaged last winter. Did they recover? From what I can see in your photo, it looks like it did.

Walt

Mad about palms

• 10 months later...

Updating some views.

Serenoa repens, Brahea armata, phoenix theoprastii, acoelorraphe wrightii, yucca rostrata, agave striata

post-3292-0-44794100-1346234297_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-36581100-1346234327_thumb.jp

post-3292-0-71469200-1346234364_thumb.jp

Livistona nitida

post-3292-0-39707900-1346234483_thumb.jp

Arenga engleri

post-3292-0-79286100-1346234686_thumb.jp

Yatay, odorata, eriosp., from left...

post-3292-0-75958400-1346234754_thumb.jp

Ola Rafael, ¿esta tudo bem?

You have nice and healthy palms! :greenthumb: :greenthumb: :greenthumb:

I think you are really on the edge between 9b and 10a, so your Archontophoenix should have a long long life and eventually get ooooold (woth occasional burnts, but I don't think it would be killed).

May I suggest you some palms for your climate? I think Dypsis decipiens and Dypsis onilahensis should do very well and would fit perfectly with the landscape. Won't you consider addind any Chamaedorea? C. radicalis is so cold hardy (well it's "anything" hardy in fact, I strongly suggest you that one...). Dypsis baronii and Laccospadix australasica are other possible options, in a sheltered spot.

And if you want to push the limits a little further, why not try Euterpe edulis? It's not too big and it looks so exotic! :winkie:

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

Ceroxylon quindiuense!!! Where is it available??? Where is (Wally) Waxy? Can anybody tell me?

I know a supplier here in the Canaries. He sends plants to mainland Europe.

If you are interested, please send me a message...

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

• 6 months later...

Bump!

Livistona nitida

attachicon.gifIMG_2546.jpg

Rophies and royals.

attachicon.gifIMG_2544.jpg

c. vulcano

attachicon.gifIMG_2545.jpg

sheltered spot

attachicon.gifpalms.jpg

Rafael: Your palms look good. I know some of your palms (A. alexandrae?) were cold damaged last winter. Did they recover? From what I can see in your photo, it looks like it did.

Walt

Walt, i still have a cunninghamiana here, not very healthy as the micro climate is not the better. I have another one in my other yard, and this one is fine :)

Thanks for keeping your palm thread updated Rafael. It's looking great and it's fun to see the palms "growing" over the years.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Bump!

Livistona nitida

attachicon.gifIMG_2546.jpg

Rophies and royals.

attachicon.gifIMG_2544.jpg

c. vulcano

attachicon.gifIMG_2545.jpg

sheltered spot

attachicon.gifpalms.jpg

Walt

Walt, i still have a cunninghamiana here, not very healthy as the micro climate is not the better. I have another one in my other yard, and this one is fine :)

Rafael: I had good luck this past winter and my palms incurred no frost damage. This is good because now all of my palms will be able to recrow complete canopies. Some of my palms are only one frond away from having a complete canopy.

Below is one of my Archontophoenix alexandrae palms, flanked by Archontophoenix cunninghamiana palms.

Alexandraepalm_zpse1fc1f9d.jpg

Above photo: In center, Archontophoenix alexandrae palm. A. cunninghamiana on right and in distant left background another A. cunninghamiana.

Mad about palms

• 7 months later...