IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Has PalmTalk been hacked??

John in Andalucia

Sorry if it's in the wrong place, but I'm in a bit of a panic reading this. Has anyone else got one of these emails allegedly from Dean?

post-1155-1255433003_thumb.png

Me too, thought it may be a Spammer???

Hacked_Palm_Talk_Doc1.doc

I daren't click on the link in case it unleashes all hell on my PC!!!

Rgds Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

And me. :huh:

Probably everyone I guess.......

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Me too, thought it may be a Spammer???

I daren't click on the link in case it unleashes all hell on my PC!!!

Rgds Andy.

I did click on the link and got a pop up security message about the page lacking a "digital signature", so I didn't continue. The page was trying to load a Java applet which presumably was the game. I think it's spam more than a virus threat, but It's worrying that someone is sending these emails via PalmTalk. Here is some header information from the email:

Received: from [209.216.205.242] (port=42215 helo=admin.palmtalk.org) by serv01.siteground153.com with esmtps (TLSv1:AES256-SHA:256) (Exim 4.69) (envelope-from <d.ouer@mac.com>) id 1MxfU0-0006lz-F4 for info@princeofpalms.com; Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:24:04 -0500

Received: (qmail 32710 invoked by uid 48); 13 Oct 2009 01:14:18 -1000

Message-ID: <20091013111418.32706.qmail@admin.palmtalk.org>

Saw and deleted it with all the other junk!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

I just got one that looks like it came from France.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

Saw and deleted it with all the other junk!

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Me too! :angry:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Me too, and :drool: I was hoping it was true. My antivirus blocked it. Well, palms will always win, even hackers!!!!

Edited by rafael

got it too. Did anyone win the palm yet? :D

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

I received it, and e-mailed back profanity, only to realize it's going to Dean's e-mail address, sorry Dean, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I received it, and e-mailed back profanity, only to realize it's going to Dean's e-mail address, sorry Dean, Ed

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The bigger issue (in my opinion) is that the email had my user id in it. Either the site or someone with access to everyone's email/userid has issues.

Later

Andy H.

Tampa, FL

Hoping for a 10b winter.....

It got it too. I deleted it. Someone has got hold of Dean's address book I reckon.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It got it too. I deleted it. Someone has got hold of Dean's address book I reckon.

Best regards

Tyrone

The email I got came from the IP address: 209.216.205.242 which is PalmTalk - and to match up our user names and email addresses too, means that the database may well have been hacked - or at least someone's account. It's a little concerning that Dean hasn't confirmed any of this yet. I've never received any spam at my business email address until now. I never imagined that registering it with PalmTalk would be anything less than secure.

Best regards

Tyrone

The email I got came from the IP address: 209.216.205.242 which is PalmTalk - and to match up our user names and email addresses too, means that the database may well have been hacked - or at least someone's account. It's a little concerning that Dean hasn't confirmed any of this yet. I've never received any spam at my business email address until now. I never imagined that registering it with PalmTalk would be anything less than secure.

I have also recieved this I also opened it. Thankfully my Virus software shut it down. It is good to know our personal information is safe. Hopefully they did not get all of the members credit card numbers.

Here is the owner of the domain that is in the link. Notice the last update was 10/7/2009, so this may be a hijacked domain which is common with these scumbags.

domain: neuf.fr

hold: NO

holder-c: S12548-FRNIC

admin-c: FR2719-FRNIC

tech-c: NC2197-FRNIC

zone-c: NFC1-FRNIC

nsl-id: NSL6239-FRNIC

registrar: NEUF CEGETEL

anniversary: 10/07

created: 24/10/2003

last-update: 10/07/2009

source: FRNIC

ns-list: NSL6239-FRNIC

nserver: nanni.hittite.isp.9tel.net

nserver: hazzi.hittite.isp.9tel.net

nserver: dns2.gaoland.net

nserver: ns01.sitadelle.com

nserver: ns1.9services.com

nserver: ns2.9services.com

registrar: NEUF CEGETEL

type: Isp Option 1

address: 40-42 Quai du Point du Jour

address: BOULOGNE BILLANCOURT CEDEX

phone: 0 800 959 959

fax-no: +33 1 70 18 29 10

e-mail: hostmaster@9tel.net

anonymous: NO

nic-hdl: NC2197-FRNIC

type: ORGANIZATION

address: NEUF CEGETEL

address: 40, quai du Point du Jour

address: 92100 Boulogne-Billancourt

phone: +33 1 70 18 43 56

fax-no: +33 8 11 90 03 78

e-mail: noc@9tel.net

changed: 06/04/2009 nic@nic.fr

obsoleted: NO

idstatus: ni

nic-hdl: S12548-FRNIC

type: ORGANIZATION

address: 42, avenue de Friedland

address: 75008 Paris

phone: +33 1 70 18 43 56

fax-no: +33 8 11 90 03 78

e-mail: domaine@9tel.net

changed: 09/07/2009 nic@nic.fr

idstatus: dy

nic-hdl: FR2719-FRNIC

type: PERSON

address: SOCIETE FRANCAISE DU RADIOTELEPHONE SFR

address: 42, rue Friedland

address: 75008 Paris

phone: +33 1 71 71 10 00

fax-no: +33 1 71 71 10 01

e-mail: domains@sfr.com

changed: 24/07/2009 nic@nic.fr

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

I opened it, clicked the link, waiting for the Java to load and nothing happened on the page...

I'm disapointed. I want to play the palm game. :(

Be careful, as it may be loading one of those fake viruses on your PC where they try to extort your credit card informatioin to fix it.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

The email I got came from the IP address: 209.216.205.242 which is PalmTalk - and to match up our user names and email addresses too, means that the database may well have been hacked - or at least someone's account. It's a little concerning that Dean hasn't confirmed any of this yet.

Dean is usually asleep at 4:30 AM.

............We waiting for you!! :) ...............

The wording reads like Chinese-translated English to me. I want my thousand's palm!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I opened it, clicked the link, waiting for the Java to load and nothing happened on the page...

I'm disapointed. I want to play the palm game. :(

Be careful, as it may be loading one of those fake viruses on your PC where they try to extort your credit card informatioin to fix it.

I got one of those recently while reading a webpage about hotsauce made in a prison... Go figure.

Took me nearly a full day to get all the pieces of the program out of my computer. It spidered into many different locations and it was almost like if all parts weren't removed the remaining parts would rewrite the missing parts on the following reboot. It was a royal PITA.

I immediately went to my e-mail and deleted the !@#%$^&* sight unseen. I looked at the image John posted and agree the English is stilted and phony.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

got it too.did nt trust the bad english(hey was nt that a 1980s band?) and deleted it.

You're thinking of Bad Company or Modern English.. probably. :blink:

Kim, you're right. I forgot that Dean is in Hawaii. He's probably eating his cornflakes right now.

i didnt get it.not cool enough i suppose. :indifferent:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

John,

I don't even think Dean got to his cornflakes yet. He's usually up late at night and may wake up late. It's not even 7 a.m. here, so it could be a little while before he checks in. Interestingly, I did not receive this, but my wife (who is also a Forum member) did receive it. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to click on that link!

Hopefully, we'll get this sorted out soon!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, why are you up at this hour?! Late night partyin'? ;):D

Working all night to figure out what happened, I'm sure!

I, too, am really bummed this wasn't a real contest. It should be. :drool:

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

"Late night partyin" takes on a different meaning here. Our New Year's Eve party is usually over by about 10 p.m. :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I too did not get one. I feel left out. And concidering my political views being left out makes me ANGRY. :rage:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

I also received the email and summarily deleted it. I felt it wa bogus (not officially from IPS). And if it wasn't bogus, I would have been somewhat pissed about it.

Mad about palms

To all the arm-chair admins :), there is no cracking of your data or credit cards. This looks like an exploit script that is taking advantage of some function (probably php exploit) within the Invasion Board software. When you see "PalmTalk Statistics" or "How to unsubscribe" in the email, that tells me this is the case. Seeing your username seals it.

For those that put email addresses online that don't want Spam, simply never use the one you want for work online. Use aliases so they can be deleted if sold or harvested. Example if you have "joe@job.com", set up 'palmtalk@job.com". If you get mail to 'palmtalk@job.com" from a spammer, you know your address is now in the spam DBs. Then deleted that alias and change to "'palmtalk1@job.com" for example. Better yet, set up an email address that only works through challenge and response. www.spamarrest.com is what I use for my address I submit when ordering online or placing into forums (which are notorious for exploits). The only way you would have gotten this email is if a human accepted your challenge. Spammers do not, so this mail would be dumped after a few days without your knowledge.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I came, I saw, I deleted.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

i think it was mattyb.he is a known DELATIOR.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.