IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

NEW FEATURE

PALM MOD

If you will notice, in the upper right hand corner there is a new button that takes you to PalmTalk's new Community Calendar.

Will some of you give it a try (if you have an event to add) and let me know how it is working? Hint - You add "New Events" in the lower right hand corner.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Very Nice!

And don't forget to make sure you don't set the event for the day you're posting it . . . . :blink::hmm:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dean,

VERY impressive! And all those birthdays - wow! :lol: Added the IPS Biennial for April 17, 2010, and that worked fine. Incidentally, the Biennial budget has been more or less finalized and registration will open VERY soon. But I'll add a post about that in the IPS sub-forum. Soon. Probably no later than next weekend.

Please don't ask any Biennial related questions in this thread. Wait until I start the new thread.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dean,

VERY impressive! And all those birthdays - wow! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo, and also thanks for your support. I think it passed. If you can make it work, anyone can. :D

And you know what they say about Sept and birthdays - how it's 9 months after all the New Years Parties. ;)

I don't have time for New Year's Eve parties. Must be missing out on the fun! :huh:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Nice feature Dean, although I don't consider birthday's as community events, not even notable dates when broadly speaking, most people don't know each other personally. Call me a humbug, but if it wasn't for the fact that they were just loaded from the database, how many people would actually publish their birthday as an event? I don't record my D.O.B in my profile for security reasons; in my case, it's a security question required when speaking to the bank, and for credit card validation. I would rather see a blank calendar, and only those community events that people will really want to make a note of. Anyone else agree?

John, is there ever anything you like that is new on these forums?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

John, is there ever anything you like that is new on these forums?

I like the new feature Len (and have never not liked any new feature), though I'm only really interested in hearing opinions on how it is best used. I'd like to see it for palm-related events only. Got anything constructive to add?

Just giving you a hard time John. At least you did not say this birthday thing was "galling" or "a bit of a yawn". :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Just giving you a hard time John. At least you did not say this birthday thing was "galling" or "a bit of a yawn". :)

Nice to make your acquaintance again, Len! :)

No, I've nothing against the Birthday's feature, but it appears as though it will be duplicated on the Board Statistics, "Today's Birthdays" and "Forthcoming Calendar Events within the next 30 days". Seems excessive, unless of course that's not the case.

Dean - I'm glad you got the calendar feature working - Thanks!

I don't think the birthdays are needed there since they are available on the main page and on profile pages and other palm events will kind of get lost. I haven't added an event, but is there a way to make some stand out more than others?

Dean - I'm glad you got the calendar feature working - Thanks!

I don't think the birthdays are needed there since they are available on the main page and on profile pages and other palm events will kind of get lost. I haven't added an event, but is there a way to make some stand out more than others?

Kathryn,

There doesn't appear to be any way to make special events stand out. However, if you notice there is a category on the main page, just below "birthdays" that lists "Forthcoming Calendar Events within the next 30 days" only.

And there is an option not to list birthdays on the calendar. But then you would miss out on the ability to see who has birthdays coming up. Of course I'll set it to whatever setting I am directed. So it's up to the members and management.

I like the return of the calendar feature, thanks MOD. As to the birthdays, the calendar would be rather empty without them, but I can also understand the point of view that they are not actual 'events'. Hey, do whatever you want after the 21st. :winkie:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I like the return of the calendar feature, thanks MOD. As to the birthdays, the calendar would be rather empty without them, but I can also understand the point of view that they are not actual 'events'. Hey, do whatever you want after the 21st. :winkie:

Kim,

Are you anticipating a lot of palms for presents? Please let me know if that happens so I can add my birthday to the profile.

Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

Kim,

Are you anticipating a lot of palms for presents? Please let me know if that happens so I can add my birthday to the profile.

Lee

:D

love conquers all..

43278.gif