IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Spring has Sprung in southern hemi.

Walter John

Had our warmest day so far this Spring/Summer... wait for it... it was a whopping 23.8°C

Thats unbelieveable Micheal !

Way down here we have had quite a few warm days

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/200911/h...21.200911.shtml

I am at the edge of a large river estury /bay but am about 25 km inland from the ocean proper so i am always 2-3 deg warmer in summer than Hobart City .

i always though Auckland was very similar to Sydneys climate. -3c and no heat cant be normal year !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Weather here in Melb has been slowly warming up as the week has gone on...up to 28C today and clouds building. Storms clouds coming down from the north tomorrow, with some good falls forecast over the weekend..... and boy do I need it. :angry:

The auto-timer on my tank "stuck" this morning when it kicked in at 9.20am.... instead of watering for 5 minutes, it didn't shut off...and proceded to empty ALL of my stored water (from the back tanks) onto the garden over the course of the day.....

Yep....approx 18,000 Lts (4,000 Gal) ... all gone.

My back tanks are now empty..1 week out from summer.....

My little side tanks are full..but they only hold 30% of the back tanks.....as I type I am pumping the water from the side tanks into the back ones, and hoping we get some great rain over the next few days to help ease the pain...

I am not even angry yet..... just shocked. :unsure: Needless to say, I have disconnected the timer. The only positive is the water went onto the garden, not just down the drain...but still.

Yours in soon to be parched dryness.

-Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

What timer did you use?? Those one on the tap? They are very very unreliable. I went through so many of them over the years.... Sorry to hear about the rain water...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

That's terrible Michael. Your garden will love you at the moment. I hope it buckets for you over the next few days. Do you know what part of the timer failed? It wasn't one of those 240V Arlec style things was it? They can fail. Not so bad if they leave your outside lights on, but it's fatal if it drains your entire water supply.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Michael, good news. I've just been looking at eldersweather and these are the rain probabilities for the next few days for you. Tomorrow thunderstorms and 90% chance of 10-20mm. Fri 80% chance 10-20mm. Sat 80% chance 10-20mm. Sun 80% chance of 1-5mm. So on the upside you could get 65mm of rain. At the very least your garden will most likely be rained on with warmth and humidity. If I were you, I'd water your garden manually until you can invest in a timer NASA would use, if you know what I mean.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Thanks Tyrone,

Lets hope all that rain makes it to my area. I have to admit...I am feeling very hollow and empty... a bit like the tanks really.

:huh:

The timer was a "Holman" tap timer...(made in W.Aust no less !)..... was new, and up till yesterday was working perfectly.

http://www.holmanindustries.com.au/product...e%20Tap%20Timer

Regards

Michael.

Michael I know how you are feeling. When I relied on tank water out at the last place I lived, it never rained for 4 years or so and I was paying a fortune (about $180) per week to get it delivered. That was 16 years ago heaven knows how much they charge now. Twice I had disasters, once when a pressure pump went strange and wouldnt switch off and once when the horses got into the yard and broke a pipe from the bottom of the tank. I also paid a fortune and had 2 bores put down, so when I moved I made certain my next place had town water. Not that it has been much help for the last 3 or 4 years when the restrictions were made even tougher and no watering at all was allowed. (yeah right like I am going to let this place dry up) Weather-wise it is another muggy overcast day here but still no rain. I am off to break the law shortly and give the potted kids a drink. At least without the blazing sun, moisture stays in the ground a little bit longer.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Peachy,

very muggy and humid here too....looking at the radar can see many storms drifting down south to us, but they keep swerving over to Geelong ! Wrong side of the bay......

This "watering is against the law" thing annoys me..........on one hand the gov't wants to plant and grow more trees to "help eliminate that pesky CO2"..but wont allow us to water them. Puzzling times.

Ohh..a thunderstorm warning just popped up on my laptop......... please please please.

Regards

Michael.

May it rain for you Michael.

Want me to go down and give Holman a blast for you. Only kidding. I could turn there water mains off though, make em feel what it's like. :)

Seriously though, it may be worth giving them a ring, and see what they say about the situation. Is it under warranty? I'd be asking them some questions, that's for sure.

Best regards

Tyrone

Just checked the radar. Are you getting flooded at the moment, Michael?????? Nice red rain over you now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Well just like yesterday and the day before that, nice cloudy mornings full of promise, then mid arvo, the bloody easterlies kick in and blow them all away. Frustrating and infuriating. My house is like a pigpen because I am always outside with a hose in my hand, trying to keep everything alive. Of an evening I am just so tired out that I feed the menagarie and go toes up till the next day and round of hosing. These are the times when my garden becomes a chore and a liability more than my relaxation and pleasure time. I have so much weeding, feeding, mulching and planting that desperately needs doing as well. Sometimes I think it would almost be worth marrying again just to get a bit of help around the place.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Make sure you marry the 'right' man, peachy... so many lazy ones around... :rolleyes:

The weather has been playing trick on me. It is not a good year for my place. Hopefully the monsoon trough will bring more rain in a month or so.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It could be a typical El Nino pattern this year Ari, when the north and east of Oz and Indonesia go through a dry phase. :(

Maybe the Indian Ocean will come to our rescue.

Best regards

Tyrone

I think because there is still typhoon in the northern hemisphere... hopefully once that is gone, we will see activity in our hemisphere. Very isolated showers these days, and we haven't even got any gulf activity.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

It could be a typical El Nino pattern this year Ari, when the north and east of Oz and Indonesia go through a dry phase. :(

Maybe the Indian Ocean will come to our rescue.

Best regards

Tyrone

I rang our office in Jakarta yesterday - they said it had been pouring hard for 8 hours straight ! I wish we got some of that here.

Very humid here in Melbourne today... much of the storm activity yesterday skirted the edges of Melbourne, but we copped it at work. Took the power out (I was right in the middle of a palm-talk reply !). The clouds were so black...looked more like a northern Australian storm... heaps of lightning and cracking thunder.....suburbs close to my house got 40mm+....all I managed was 5mm :huh:

More tonight...and I am hoping we really cop it. The pams are loving it....I marked the spear of my D.pembana at 5.00pm and glanced again at it 3 hrs later and it had honestly moved a couple of mm. By this morning it had moved well over 1cm....same with my Foxy Lady.

Am off to Brisbane for a few days, and then a couple in Sydney later in the week. I wonder if I can convince my work colleague to call into some of the palm nurseries in Brisbane instead of work..... :mrlooney:

Regards

Michael

Thanks Tyrone,

Lets hope all that rain makes it to my area. I have to admit...I am feeling very hollow and empty... a bit like the tanks really.

:huh:

The timer was a "Holman" tap timer...(made in W.Aust no less !)..... was new, and up till yesterday was working perfectly.

http://www.holmanindustries.com.au/product...e%20Tap%20Timer

Regards

Michael.

Michael

I have had two of these timers break on me just through normal use ....rubbish in my opinion . i replaced these with Neta ones and one of these actually broke at the join below the tap arrggg ive yet to find a good one that will last !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Damned if I know what the weather is doing. Today started off warm and sunny and progressively got hotter and hotter. Dunno the actual maximum but it was well up in the higher 30s. A lot of plants were dehydrated and sick looking. I watered all my seedlings, youngsters, ferns and that was about it. I was done in after a couple of hours.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Huge storm this afternoon... windy too... Not sure how much we are getting yet... but plenty of water run-off... Max wind gust was 50km/h. This is more like it!!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Stayed overcast all day and the wind has yet to appear, but it is sooo hot. The cloud is very high and not all that dark so rain is unlikely again. Today I risked prosecution and a raid from the water nazis, and put the sprinkler on to give the place a good soaking. All the ground is cracking open again so drowning it is the only solution. I managed to get time to do a few other things at last. No planting tho. Still way to hard for that.

Peachy

27.35 south.

We are having another dust storm today; but not quite as bad as that dust storm. It's thick enough to be visbile only a mile or so away.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

15 mm yesterday afternoon.. that is more like it. This is the November that I remember... :) :). Everything is growing and green... can't complain!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

No rain and I haven't watered anything here, that's why the common colour is becoming yellow, like on my Pritchardia for instance. I need a good drench or two so I can dig some palms up, staring to think it won't happen. Many palms are braving it though, many Dypsis seem unphased, most palms are dropping leaves quite quickly.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Guys

Would love to send you even half the rain we getting down here....the whole week is just rain, rain and more rain!

Hope you guys get some soon...

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

It's great to hear from you Dennis. It sounds like the Indian Ocean is treating you well. Your palms will be very happy. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Dennis, please send some here... :)

42mm of rain since May does not make for happy palms (or a happy Daryl)

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hi Dennis, please send some here... :)

42mm of rain since May does not make for happy palms (or a happy Daryl)

Daryl

That is bad Daryl. I didn't realise that it was quite that bad. We had just about that much rain in Nov. Sounds like a typical El Nino year playing out. Are you allowed to irrigate at all?

Now and again I'd look at the QLD radar and it seems like there have been quite a few storms heading your way, but maybe nothing is hitting the ground. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Tyrone, there's been a few big storms here and not a drop came out of any of them, even the 3 hour horror last week. Given the heat and humidity we have been going through it should have been pouring all month but what did I get >>>>nada !

Peachy

27.35 south.

Not good Peachy. I wish i had some good news, but the models are predicting the El Nino to mature from now until the first quarter of 2010, which is your wet season. This could be bad news for my side of the country in winter if we're still in an El Nino, because in El Nino years the lack of east west tradewinds in the Pacific blowing into the Timor Sea stalls the Leeuwin current which runs from Indonesia down the west coast into the southern ocean. With little flow in the Leeuwin current, it's moderating effect on our winters is missing, and also our rainfall is reduced. That means a dry cold winter, but with sunny days if that's a consolation. Maybe the Indian Ocean will heat up and save us.

I hope you get some rain though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hi Ty and Daryl

Yeah, last week we had a monster storm, got 80mm, flushed all the fish out of the river at the bottom of the garden and left piles of crap behind.

This week is that slow soaking drizzle non-stop! Looks like around 50mm will fall between today and saturday. Hopefully the sun will make a return on Sunday!

WOW! That is bad Daryl-HOPEFULLY you guys will get a break from the heat and get some rain ASAP!

Ty-The temps arent that great though low-mid 20's... Palms are moving but not at a great clip!

Holding thumbs for you guys!

Cheers

Dennis

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Not good Peachy. I wish i had some good news, but the models are predicting the El Nino to mature from now until the first quarter of 2010, which is your wet season. This could be bad news for my side of the country in winter if we're still in an El Nino, because in El Nino years the lack of east west tradewinds in the Pacific blowing into the Timor Sea stalls the Leeuwin current which runs from Indonesia down the west coast into the southern ocean. With little flow in the Leeuwin current, it's moderating effect on our winters is missing, and also our rainfall is reduced. That means a dry cold winter, but with sunny days if that's a consolation. Maybe the Indian Ocean will heat up and save us.

We depend on Indian ocean moisture a fair bit too, in the form of "North-West cloud bands"

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Oops, that was a bit abrupt.

I think the point I am trying to make is that El Nino might have the same effect on the east and west coasts of Australia.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

A bit of rain yesterday, a bit of rain today... Can't complain... everything is still moist.

BTW, should we start a new thread since it is officially summer for you all down south...??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Driving home from the city today I could see black rain clouds and some really heavy rainfall that looked like it was coming down over my way. About halfway home I could see that it was too far south to be falling on my place but it was moving north. Finally got home, it was black clouds just to the south and then nothing. Again. Not a bloody drip. At least somebody (probably Logan area) copped a nice drenching.

Peachy

27.35 south.

This time of year is always crazy here. I don't know if this applies to other parts of Australia, but everything seems to go into overdrive here from about October to early December.

We get intense heat for a couple of days, followed by very chilly southerlies such as we are having now. It often seems as if a war is going on between summer and winter.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Weather is quite stable at the moment, not totally constant, but as we move into Dec it's consistently warm. High twenties to mid thirties for the next few days, which is typical Dec weather.

Phillip, you weren't abrupt.

I'm no expert and El Nino may have some effect on the west coast in summer, but it does seem to have less of an effect on the west coast than the east. What I have noticed is that the east can quite often be the opposite to the west. So when in drought in the east ie El Nino, the west can be wetter than average. Nov rainfall was double the average, and as much as Brissie has had since May.

The North west cloud bands are due to the Indian Ocean Dipole being one way ( I can't remember if it's positive or negative). This has a big effect on SE Australian rainfall probably from Adelaide to Sydney, but not maybe as far north as Brissie. Here in Perth we are too far SW to get those NW cloud bands. They start in the ocean in the Kimberley and Pilbara and totally miss us. What does get us rain in summer is a cutoff low (which we seem to have had a few this year) or a decaying cyclone from out in the area near Mauritius and Reunion. Even the cyclones which form off the north west coast tend to miss us heading inland quickly. The Indian Ocean Dipole is neutral at the moment so we are expecting a close to average summer.

Here's the forecast over here.

Forecast for Wednesday

Mostly sunny. Light to moderate S/SE winds shifting moderate to fresh S/SW in

the afternoon.

Precis: Mostly sunny.

City: Min 11 Max 24

Mandurah: Min 14 Max 23

UV Alert: 7:50 am to 4:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 15 [Extreme]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain: HIGH

Hills: HIGH

Thursday Sunny. Min 14 Max 31

Friday Hot, sunny. Min 17 Max 37

Saturday Hot, partly cloudy. Min 21 Max 37

Sunday Cloudy. Min 18 Max 32

Monday Partly cloudy. Min 15 Max 29

Tuesday Mostly sunny. Min 14 Max 29

Best regards

Tyrone

Raining here this morning... hopefully we can get a few mm's out of this one... I love rain!! I can tell that I will be late for work...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Woke up shivering this morning, put the poochies outside and saw RAIN. So I had a coffee, planned all the things I could do today instead of watering the plants. Poochies came back inside shivering, so we all go back into bed for an hour's snooze treat. Woke up at 5pm, refreshed and warm, with two furry snorers cuddled up with me. It has stopped raining for now but there should be more going by the feel of the air. I was going to berate myself for losing an entire day, but what the heck, for a novelty like rain, I declare today a holiday.

Peachy

27.35 south.