IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Soil preparation

palmcurry

I hae not looked at this thread for awhile. Your pics remind me of last spring when I did a complete overhaul on the front and back garden. Alot of picks,digging bars,shovels,wheelbarrows,worm castings etc etc. It'll be well worth it. From the background it looks like your neighborhood is already pretty palmy. Get a couple of thermometers and find your microclimates coronata,javana and elmeri are tougher than you think.

San Marcos CA

Hey Vince:

Looks like you've got some heavy clay. The good news is that it can be about the best soil you can have, since it holds water. The bad news is that it's a lot of work to get it to fulfil its potential.

So, keep digging, and adding LOTS of organic stuff. I dig down about 18 - 24", an dbury layers of trash (leaves, grass clippings, etc.) under 6" layers of dirt, like a giant layer cake. Keep it wet and it rots down quite fast. The plants love it.

I have half an acre of clay, and most of the plants do well. Come visit and see!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Hey Vince:

Looks like you've got some heavy clay. The good news is that it can be about the best soil you can have, since it holds water. The bad news is that it's a lot of work to get it to fulfil its potential.

So, keep digging, and adding LOTS of organic stuff. I dig down about 18 - 24", an dbury layers of trash (leaves, grass clippings, etc.) under 6" layers of dirt, like a giant layer cake. Keep it wet and it rots down quite fast. The plants love it.

I have half an acre of clay, and most of the plants do well. Come visit and see!

dave

Thanks Dave, might stop by one of these days. I go to LA everynow and then and I dig visiting home gardens! Plus I like to document with my camera if allowed.

I hope to add ooddles of oganic compost as budget allows but all the pick-axing has hurt my back so far! Taking a break for now to recover. ANyhows, thanks for the feedback.

Vince

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

• 1 month later...

Well the soil preping is about done :) After various challenges and injury :bemused: we have finaly wrapped up this essential phase :yay:

Here are some before & after shots.

Here is the yard after picking with a 24" pick and laying down LOTS of gypsum. The scattered containers make it look like a war zone! :blink: But thats because we had to move them around constantly while picking

soil_prep3.jpg

Here is the same area after laying down 100% compost I bought from the city of SJC( $33 a cubic yard :D ) We raked it around till it was 95% level and hosed it in thoroughly.

soil_prep20.jpg

The yorkie is doing her part to fertilize the newly prepd soil :lol:

Vince Bury

After raking the compost over the clay evenly I had my asistant re-pick the whole area to mix both clay & soil together. I did this instead of renting a rototiller for $50 because it's cheaper(my yard is small, man power won't take that long) and because the pick can go deeper than the rototiller.

soil_prep19.jpg

This 24" pick was essential.

soil_prep14.jpg

My hairy assistant is about 15" for scale :winkie:

Vince Bury

Facing east is the long view of the yard before the compost was put down.

soil_prep7.jpg

Where I really lucked out was all the rain we've had recently. About two weeks ago right before the first major downpour we picked up the yard and started throwing down the gypsum. Right when it started drenching is when we finished laying it all over the yard. Then three days later when the showers took a brief break, we went back out and did the same thing again. Used about 10 bags of gypsum.

soil_prep12-1.jpg

I watered the compost in thoroughly for almost 2 hours to start the integration. NOW it's starting to look like a yard!

soil_prep_real_12.jpg

Vince Bury

Here is my neighbor Divino that I hired. I really meant to get a better photo of him but we were working. Couldn't ask for a better neighbor: I actually tweaked my back in December while picking the clay :rage: and I would try to help Divino with the heavier tasks and he kept telling me not to risk further injury.

soil_prep5.jpg

He dose landscaping work and needed help with a promo flyer. I gladly whipped up this one:

Divnoflyer.jpg

I made it 4 plane so he can cut them up and pass them out. If you need yard work and live in south OC, he dose quality work. :greenthumb:

Vince Bury

Here is my current layout for the palms and plants. Each square in the grid is a sq. foot.

plans_1-29-10.jpg

We want to put in a small pond with a waterfall but finances dictate we have to wait a little while :bummed: When it IS time, though, I will put in the raised beds and new fence - final touches to the hardscape.

So this finishes my soil preparation thread. From here the plan is:

1. Sprinkler system(gonna have to wait on this one too)

2. Grass turf

3. Raised beds, the top soil/compost therein, and rocks.

4. Planting :yay:

Since I'm a palmtalker and like taking photos, I'll create future threads for these steps too.

Vince Bury

Want to give a big thanks to those of you who chimed in and helped me: Troy, Aaron(bags), MattyB, Kris, Joe OC, BS man(who said 'read what Matty said then do it :D) and Bruce.

I did'nt know about gypsum, compost or raised beds before this thread( I knew what they were, just not how to go about it)so I researched what you guys said and learned tons. The advantage and beauty of a forum like this one :)

To keep from asking to many questions or sending too many PM's, I picked up this book by Elizabeth Stell. Secrets to Great Soil has it all and reiterated everything that was posted on this thread and then some more. Can't recomend it enough to anyone doing soil preparation.

soil_prep_bible.jpg

Anyhows, Spring is right around the corner. Peace out ;)

Vince

Vince Bury

Looks like all the hard work is going to pay off. I can't wait to see some of the after pics when you get everything in the ground.

Nice job, Vince. :greenthumb:

Edited by Frank in Vero

Vero Beach, FL

Looking good brother! All your hard work will pay off.

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Dear Vince :)

Great Work ! :greenthumb: And very clear visuals,which are self explianatery..

But seeing your soil texture,i must say that what i got here in our garden is not even close to your

sticky clayee soil grade.it appears to be blackish bluiesh grey color(similar colour of a concreate or cement mix).

Since mine garden soil does not make footware impression while walking on it when wet or during rainy season.And its brownish in colour.

What i observed in your stills is your garden soil is very sticky and very hard to work or dig in it.Since even the tools will stick to it.

You seem to have more patience,and one plus point is that you need not over water your plants in peak summer.

All the best and keep us updated on the progress..

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Bloody hell Vince , you have been working hard . The clay won't be around for much longer . The compost looks great mixed in with everything else the palms will thrive in it . Can you buy bags of cow/steer manure over there ,or sheep its great to mix in for organic fertilizing.

If you can get some large rocks for a raised bed border they look excellent , i shifted a hundred i reckon in june july 2008 ,i was lucky because a bloke gave them to me for free off his property. :D

A dripper system on a 13mm tube is ideal for irrigation , i have a thicker pipe 13mm running along my fence with 4mm flexible pipe attached with a dripper on the end ( 1 for small palms 2 for big mommas) . This is the cheapest way ive found

Here is an alright site over your way.

http://dripworks.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=dws09flx#

Looks like a good selection of palms to plant too. Do you have any Howea's or Rhopalostylis to go in as well ?

WELL DONE **** four stars for effort . :drool:

post-1252-12648392665011_thumb.jpg

post-1252-12648392979708_thumb.jpg

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Troy,

I'd dig seeing pics of your yard and your irrigation system. Got a few kentia palms- a large 5gal thas sun acclimated, just got a few R.baueri 1gals I got from pogobob in a trade. Thanks for the drip sys. info, thats next on the list. Joe OC turned me onto a good manure/compost place and I'm gonna hit it up soon...I think I need it more than soil.

Keep in touch, mate :)

Vince Bury

Dear Vince :)

Great Work ! :greenthumb: And very clear visuals,which are self explianatery..

But seeing your soil texture,i must say that what i got here in our garden is not even close to your

sticky clayee soil grade.it appears to be blackish bluiesh grey color(similar colour of a concreate or cement mix).

Since mine garden soil does not make footware impression while walking on it when wet or during rainy season.And its brownish in colour.

What i observed in your stills is your garden soil is very sticky and very hard to work or dig in it.Since even the tools will stick to it.

You seem to have more patience,and one plus point is that you need not over water your plants in peak summer.

All the best and keep us updated on the progress..

Thanks & Love,

kris :)

Thanks Kris. Apreesh the support.

If I ever come to India, I would wantto stop by and see your palms and clayee soil :) My property was dug out from a hill side so there is'nt any original topsoil left. So I think I need a few more cubit yards over time to get it plant friendly.

Have a good one :)

Vince Bury

Looks like all the hard work is going to pay off. I can't wait to see some of the after pics when you get everything in the ground.

Nice job, Vince. :greenthumb:

Thanks Frank! Wish we has the weather you get in Vero beach. It's cold, wet and shady here. But we get the better waves year round :winkie:

Vince Bury

Looking good brother! All your hard work will pay off.

Matt, If my wife and I ever finish remodeling this place(inside & out) and have a house-warming party I'll send you an invite :mrlooney: Hopefully you can come. We live a mile from Doheny beach/Dana point.

Vince Bury

Vince, missed this since the first time around, looking good!

I would plant "above the soil line" or at least only half the root ball in the soil for the next year. But if ALL is going to in the raised planters, it will take care of that. Obviously, there are a few that won't be bothered as much by the soil for the next year.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here in the heavy clay/silt soils of So. Louisiana. I till the native soil thoroughly in a large area. The only a where I am going to plant, maybe 4 times the size of the rootball, minimum. The only amendment I add to the native soil is http://www.rootsinc.com/products/product%20data%20sheets/TRANSPLANT%201-STEP.pdf. I plant to half the depth of the original rootball. To make up the rest of the space to the full height of the rootball I use a soil/compost combination over the top of the native soil, but do not mix it in with native soil, over the top only. Then mulch over the top of everything. With our rainfalls, I find that any deeper I get root rot, and shallower I find I have to water too much. I think this is a good formula, maybe going deeper in areas with less rains, but no shallower.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Vince:

Looking good!

Treat your soil like a cherished lover, and it will reward you abundantly. Gee, that sounds a bit kinky . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Looking good Vince. You are going to have a killer little paradise when it is all said and done...One more thing I don't think you mentioned, but is as important as anything is drainage. There is nothing worse than having a mucky mess for weeks after a rain. Adding a french drain and tying in your rain gutters will make a world of difference. Keep us posted and let me know if you ever make it down here for a surf. Aaron

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

BS Man & Kieth,

I know, its so easy to get root rot in this clay conundrum! Thanks for the 'planting half the rootball' suggestion. I was thinking that too untill Dan Andersen suggested a different method thats more laborous and costly: say I was to plant a 15 gal. I would dig out a 30 gal sized hole with some considerable depth. That way the original rootball isnt in contact with the clay right off.

I'm thinking of going with this method for the plants that don't go into the raised bed. I

Vince Bury

Vince, sadly thats not the point.

"Clay contact" is not the point. Its the fact that it doesn't drain, or at least fast enough. You need to think of the clay as one step more porous than cement. what ever sized hole you have is what size "bucket" you just made. You would just go to all that trouble to make a 30 gal sized bucket. Its a little different inland as the daytime highs are good enough to promote faster palm growth and some evaporation. But along the coast it stays too cool and the soil temps are cooler too. The point of elevated planting, or "half out" is that it will ALWAYS be moist at some depth in your clay,you just want your palms roots to FIND it, not be SUBJECTED to it. Once a water source is found roots will increase in size to use it. Winter (around here) is usually the bigger problem than summer when you plant in clay as you can't control the rain amounts!

So a bigger hole in the summer would work where you could control your water amount. Come winter if we have lots of rains, you're back to where you started.

After all that, your amending is lowering the "level" you can easily plant at.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

I understand a bit better now, thank you. I amended the heck out of this clay and am hoping that in 3 months time it will be enough. So, as the roots find the water source and get bigger, they pull the plant & upper root mass back into the ground?? Maybe I'll do raised beds all around. I definitely don't want waterlogged plants!

Vince Bury

Getting closer Vince. Only heeled palms will draw lower into the ground for a while. Its a size thing AND a clay thing. 1 gal plants you can place just barely out of the soil and be OK. But bigger palms have deeper roots. Same thing I said. Let the roots FIND the wet clay, not be subjected to it.