IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

August Weather

FRITO

August started off really wet here today, rainy and 75 degrees, palms are soaking it all up.

This is one of our rainest months and our warmest.

forcasts shows rain about about everyday with highs around 90F and lows and 73 F, tropical weather at its best!

Hurricane season is really calm as well.

whats going on in your part of the world? :)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

21C and clear skies.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Cool days, just above 20c on average, cold nights but nothing below freezing. Slight touch of frost a couple of mornings ago but no damage done to anything. Another 4 weeks to spring and all frost danger is over for another year. We really need a few good downpours of rain tho, its very dry here even for winter.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Sun sun and 21C. This year we've had nothing even approaching frost. Not out of the woods yet though.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Clear skies little wind and warm. Great ocean fishing as well, caught a nice 2Kg pearl perch today. Life is good!

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Still a bizarre summer here in Tampa Bay. We had some rain from our "normal" SE flow of storms, but once again it is back to our "abnormal" westerly flow off the Gulf, which has been all summer. Storms die as they approach land and reform 10 miles inland as the seabreeze moves in. The result = little rain and hot nights, very humid. The Gulf is 89F...do the math! Rain has been weird...too much at once and not enough for a week or two. The good news is no tropical activity and we like it that way! Greg in New Port Richey B)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We look to be basking in cooler than normal temps for the 1st week of August...mid to high 80s with a nice Delta breeze.......

spending more time than normal outside....just finished backwashing the Koi pond...tomorrow, back on the hill for weeding.

I hope this weather gets Dick out of his summer doldrums.....

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

The edge of the San Francisaco fog has been reaching Walnut Creek for the past week, but it burns off around 9:30 AM. Lows of about 57F and highs in the mid 80's. The palms love it and so do I.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Well, its the last month of winter here fortunately. The weather is starting to warm up already, and most of the chill has gone, although the nights are still cool. The next few days looks good...

Thursday Fine Min 11 Max 23

Friday Fine Min 10 Max 25

Saturday Fine Min 12 Max 24

Sunday Fine Min 12 Max 25

Monday Fine Min 12 Max 26

Tuesday Fine Min 11 Max 26

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Hhmm.... warming up definitely... Here comes the build-up. Aarrggghhh, mango madness

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

21C and sunny.

I've seen SE QLD warming up quickly. It will be 6 weeks away before we see temps like SE QLD have at the moment.

We're getting more rain after tommorrow which will mean cooler max's and higher mins than we've had lately. Either way, winter has slowly started to lose it's grip on us.

Best regards

Tyrone

A bit warm today but an usually low latitude upper cut-off system will move ashore & drop max temps [maybe below 80F in downtown LA] in a few days.

Currently\ 12noon

Partly cloudy

92.5\ 33.6C

lo 71\ 21.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

August has come in dry and hot. This is the driest month of the year. And, there has been no measurable rain for a about a month. Daytime highs hover around 40 C in the city, but nights remain as always around 24 C.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Two days of thunder banging off the coast from daylight until noon - shook the house at times - but died coming ashore./ Light rain measured less than .20" both days yet they went inland and built into big storms with inches of rains! This has been typical all summer. Luckily, the clouds hung on and kept it in the 80's with a dewpoint only at 75F. I long for the "normal" sunny mornings and stormy evenings! greg :o:huh:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Today I woke up to cloudy skies and torrential rains. It's been raining like that all day and temps are only in the mid 70's (23c-24c). August seems to be the transitional period as we are getting ready to head into our wettest time of year (September and October). The last 6 weeks or so have been mostly sunny with rain coming in the late afternoon or most frequently at night. High temperatures have been around 86-90 (30c-32c). It feels almost chilly today and I had to turn off my fans.

I'm happy for all the rain. I've recently planted a lot of new palms and they need this kind of weather right now.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Warm but not as hot as yesterday. Cooler & windy for a few days. No rain, of-course [less than an inch rainfall since March 1].

hi 92F\ 33.3C

lo 71F\ 26.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi,

Well not bad at all, this august starts nice and warm with loads of sunshine. 31C/87.4F today and still 29C/84.4F at the moment and that would be a nice long warm evening and night. Last night I didn't fall below the 18C/64.4F and I don't expect the coming night much lower. Yesterday also 30C/86F and tomorrow would be 29C/84.4F again. The forecast for the days after will be cooler with temperatures between the 23-25C/73.4-77F.

So, not bad at all.

Southwest

Have to admit, it's getting better, it's getting better, all the time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal, your spring has already begun. Ours started to turn, but has now stalled and gone back to warmish winter weather. No real cold to mention. The palms have loved the recent warmer weather and you can see the opening spears everywhere.

I think it's going to be an interesting warm season with a quickly developing El Nino.

Best regards

Tyrone

I'm so disappointed in the forecast of drought times again because I want to undertake my final big plant out this season. This will be it, I'll be looking for someone else's yard from now on. I have one in my sights, my nephew has bought a house not far away and has asked me for some help in landscaping.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

El Nino and La Nina don't affect us much in the past. Actually we got LESS rain when it was La Nina. QLD has been hogging it for sure. Looking forward to the wet season... (not the build up though). I am sick of this dry weather!!!

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

El Nino and La Nina don't affect us much in the past. Actually we got LESS rain when it was La Nina. QLD has been hogging it for sure. Looking forward to the wet season... (not the build up though). I am sick of this dry weather!!!

It is starting to dry out here too..not a drop of moisture in 6+ weeks now. At least it doesn't really matter so much in winter, although a little rain and some warm cloudy nights would be nice every now and again.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Ari, I've noticed that here in the west and maybe the NT to some extent are usually the reverse of the eastern states. When the east is in La Nina we get very dry conditions, but when they're in dry conditions we get more rain and humidity than usual. So far the long range forecast for Perth is a wetter and therefore humid, Spring Summer and Autumn 2010, which is the opposite of the drought they're forecasting for the east. It's still too early to really tell yet though. I think we'll know for sure by October.

Best regards

Tyrone

August is pretty dry on the West Side. The average over the past 5 years is 1.5 inches.

This year whats left of hurricane Felicia will bring more than that today and tonight.

Look at the past. Man I love those dry months No weed growth. :lol:

Rain at Wai`anae Steve's House of Palms

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Of-course, it is dry in California & probably won't rain for another 2-3 months per the norm. It has been in the 80's for the past 5 days [cooler than normal & helpful in not having to irrigate too much].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Ari, I've noticed that here in the west and maybe the NT to some extent are usually the reverse of the eastern states. When the east is in La Nina we get very dry conditions, but when they're in dry conditions we get more rain and humidity than usual. So far the long range forecast for Perth is a wetter and therefore humid, Spring Summer and Autumn 2010, which is the opposite of the drought they're forecasting for the east. It's still too early to really tell yet though. I think we'll know for sure by October.

Best regards

Tyrone

A friend has a theory that NT is more affected by the West window (Indian Ocean area), rather than the east (Pacific Ocean) window. Probably the same where you are. This is coming from a guy who has been here FOREVER and loves his weather.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Best regards

Tyrone

A friend has a theory that NT is more affected by the West window (Indian Ocean area), rather than the east (Pacific Ocean) window. Probably the same where you are. This is coming from a guy who has been here FOREVER and loves his weather.

There really could be some truth to that Ari. Of course, Perth and WA are majorly influenced by the Indian Ocean, and have almost no connection with the Pacific as the weather travels from west to east. Even rainfall in Melbourne and the lower SE of Australia now seems to be more connected with the tropical Indian Ocean rather than the Pacific, and there a good 4000km away from it.

Aint the Earth amazing. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Seems downright like June around here. Sun is not coming out until early afternoon and then going behind marine clouds around 4PM. Not exactly summerlike conditions. They said it was supposed to warm up yesterday and today. But, then again, we are talking about weathermen.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Here in Bradenton, we've received an average amount of rain. It comes differently than most years though. It pours for a long time and then no rain, so it's high then low. I water all my palms every morning though, so the ones that aren't in transplant shock are growing well. My hurricane palms are showing the fastest growth of all my palms, probably followed by my big coconut, which I think is in a mild transplant shock. The hurricane palm I have in the ground is faster than the 2 in pots, it's leaves are starting to go pinnate.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Handy storm here last night especially after I mulched yesterday. Supposed to be 28c today, that's some early warmth for us.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here two hours due N of Bradenton, the bizarre summer continues. After the westerly winds all summer, this past week we finally got our "normal" east to SE flow - and it dried out! No rain for 9 days and very clear, hot conditions. Wed early morning a few storms floated by and gave me an inch with lots of banging. Night storms are rare. Yesterday was the usual two hours of thunder with no rain, then afternoon sun. What a weird pattern. HOT steamy nights! Oh well, at least it does rain....buckets...but when it does, it pours. Greg :mellow:

Well August has been above average temp wise at night and day. At the moment we're averaging 9.4C to 20.2C vs 8C to 18.8C. Today we had a min of 14.5C and have got to 20C but winter is still slapping us about a lot. It's windy as anything outside. My gum tree is roaring in the wind, and even my full wheelie bin got knocked over waiting for the truck to empty it.

So it's definitely not cold, but the weather is really messy at the moment.

Best regards

Tyrone

Quite cool here yesterday with only 21C and sunshine. Today would be better with 25C and 28C for tomorrow, looks like next week the Spanish heat going to reach us with southern winds. That means possible 29-32C, I hope that's coming true. :)

Robbin

Southwest

Spring is really trying to oust winter in these parts...Bring it on!

Monday Mostly fine Min 12 Max 29

Tuesday Fine. Min 13 Max 23

Wednesday Fine. Min 12 Max 23

Thursday Mostly fine. Min 12 Max 25

Friday Fine. Min 14 Max 28

Saturday Fine. Min 16 Max 30

Sunday Fine. Min 16 Max 29

In France, good August month, 35°C/95F yesterday here, 38C/100F in the south, and the next week all days between 29C/84F and 35C/95F.

Very dry, there are restrictions of water.

jean-bernard

Jean-bernard

crazy sower

city : Nantes, France,

Hot, miserable hot, hot, insanely hot, hot, terribly hot. Hot moved in very early this summer and I will be glad to see it go. First year I am truly looking forward to the little winter we have here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yesterday we had a high of 23C and today it reached 27C but as I speak the southerly has arrived and its down to 22C

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

Definitely getting warmer now... Min was only 22.9deg last night and 33 deg max today. The humidity is rising though... It won't be long before the dreaded BUILD UP...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

I really don't like the UK. After our worst winter for decades, we were forecast a hot summer by the MET office, but no, it's our third total absense of anything vaguely resembling a summer on the trot. To make it worse, most of Europe has been basking in sunshine for months with temperatures way above normal. We've just had our wettest July on record, I recorded over three times our average July rainfall. August was no better for the first week, but it has dried up a little since, but very little improvement in temperatures and still a lot of cloud cover most of the time. I remember looking at the temperature map for Europe a couple of weeks ago, it was 30°C/86°F in Paris, but here it was only 18°C/64°F. It's useless, Paris just isn't that far away and most of Europe was even warmer than Paris.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

I really don't like the UK. After our worst winter for decades, we were forecast a hot summer by the MET office, but no, it's our third total absense of anything vaguely resembling a summer on the trot. To make it worse, most of Europe has been basking in sunshine for months with temperatures way above normal. We've just had our wettest July on record, I recorded over three times our average July rainfall. August was no better for the first week, but it has dried up a little since, but very little improvement in temperatures and still a lot of cloud cover most of the time. I remember looking at the temperature map for Europe a couple of weeks ago, it was 30°C/86°F in Paris, but here it was only 18°C/64°F. It's useless, Paris just isn't that far away and most of Europe was even warmer than Paris.

Maybe even closer is Holland, almost 30C last saturday. I'm sorry to hear about the UK, but also tomorrow and thursday we gonna reach 30C easly even a minimum temperature from 22C forecasted for the night from wednesday to thursday. 2009 is here the driest year so far since I start holidng the records. Even 2006 was till 17 August 30 mm wetter then 2009. For the plants it's really a great summer with much growth, however for me personally I only miss a stable peiod from 2 weeks or something with high temperatures, but for that I have to move to south europe.

However mostly when it was raining it was at the good moment, mostly during the nights and always before or after some nice warm weather. I hope for you gonna get there a good aftersummer.

Robbin

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest