IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Accumulating Snow

ruskinPalms

I never really thought of Seattle as a snowy place except for on the mountain tops. Growing palms against all odds really epitomizes the philosphy of this society from what I have seen on this board. I think we all want to grow something we shouldn't be able to grow - even in the seemingly most perfect tropical places they have challenges with certain palms and these are the palms they want the most. I started this subject because I think if palms are making it in places that "snow" then they should be more widespread. Diane, I hope that your palms make it through just fine!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Diane, I hope that your palms make it through just fine!

Thanks, Bill.  The Trachycarpus wagnerianus has a good chance of being okay.  The Butia capitata is a little riskier; it could have gotten down to 12'F Tuesday night which would be pushing it.  I have a beautiful very blue Chamaerops humilis on the front porch which should be okay, too.  The waiting is the hard part!

I have a rare Dendroseris litoralis which is about 6 feet tall (from 10 inches in the spring) in a big, heavy pot.  Thank goodness I managed to get that into the house.  This year.  I don't know what I'll do next year.  I guess get it it's own greenhouse!  There aren't many growing in the world right now.  

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Diane- I looked up the Dendroseris. Where did you get one? It looks extremely hard to find.

I got it from Dan Hinkley via Heronswood Nursery before Burpee closed the nursery down.  My friend Linda Cochran bought all of their stock.  Dan wound up without one so I think she gave him a couple.  I wonder if Tony Avent might have some?  

There are about 6 of us growing it.  I have a small one that's going to go to Sean Hogan at Cistus in OR; he can probably make it bloom and get some seed.  I'll keep my ears open for a seed source or a small plant.  It's a fun one to grow.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Zac, here's a picture of the dendroseris in July.  By October it had grown about 18 more inches and lost some of the bottom leaves (which are about 14 inches across).  Plant with pot weighs about 150 pounds.  There was an interesting article about the plant here:  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1300953,00.html

post-3-1164886163_thumb.jpg

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Here are a couple of links to pics.  It sure looks like an attractive palm, at least from the photos of it.

http://www.hardypalmsinnc.homestead.com/index.html

and another site:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/04084.html

Hey Sunny....

after looking at those pics of Sabal Birmingham, I think I've seen a few of them planted around my neighborhood.. It's trunkless though... I would really like to see if I could get a trunked variety to grow....

Diane,

I'm sure you'll be a reference point for the board with those temps you had.. If most of that stuff makes it through without any problem, I'm sure alot of people in colder climates will want to try - I know I will Since we rarely get that cold here (maybe once/year) Especially because of the fact that even though your temps moderate during the winter, It still stays cold & damp for the most part (unlike a place like texas which could be really cold at night and then rebound to 70f during the day)

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 30 2006,08:43)

Here are a couple of links to pics.  It sure looks like an attractive palm, at least from the photos of it.

http://www.hardypalmsinnc.homestead.com/index.html

and another site:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Curre...tail/04084.html

Hey Sunny....

after looking at those pics of Sabal Birmingham, I think I've seen a few of them planted around my neighborhood.. It's trunkless though... I would really like to see if I could get a trunked variety to grow....

Hi Bobby,

It could be that the ones in your neighborhood are simply young ones that haven't trunked yet - they're supposed to be very slow growers, totally opposite of the S. palmetto.

I'm surprised to hear there are sabals growing on LI at all though.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Bobby, the worst part about the cold and my palms is that they're in pots -- they're very very heavy (and big) Asian pots but still...  The plan was to put the palms in the ground in the spring.  

We had more rain in November (15.63 inches) than any other month recorded since records were found from 1890.  

I had friends leaving for Costa Rica on Thursday morning who were sweating our weather only to find it fine here but the flight canceled because of snow and ice in Dallas.

Diane

in Kirkland

Zone 8

(Diane Kirkland @ Nov. 30 2006,05:16)

The Trachycarpus wagnerianus has a good chance of being okay.  The Butia capitata is a little riskier; it could have gotten down to 12'F Tuesday night which would be pushing it.  I have a beautiful very blue Chamaerops humilis on the front porch which should be okay, too.  The waiting is the hard part!

Hi Diane,

Good luck with the butia - I hope it will be all right.  Have you ever considered eriospatha (hardier) - it's a nice green butia, but seems hard to come by.

Is your C. humilis a cerifera?  Might you happen to have any pics of it? :)

Love seeing your garden and what you're growing, btw.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Bobby, the worst part about the cold and my palms is that they're in pots -- they're very very heavy (and big) Asian pots but still...  The plan was to put the palms in the ground in the spring.

Diane,

there is no way you could've dragged those inside for a couple days until your temps moderate (which they will)..

I know what you mean about being really heavy though, as when I bring my big stuff out of the greenhouse for the spring, there is really no way of sheltering it - short of wrapping it and praying for the best.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE