IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

July in California

PalmGuyWC

Somebody has to start the Calif. July thread, so hear it is.

June in N. Calif. was well below normal in temps. (at least 10 degrees or more) until the very end, then last weekend we had a sizzler with highs around 106 to 109. Temps. have returned to "normal" with nightly lows in the high 50's to low 60's and daytime highs in the upper 80's. I expect there will be more heat waves ahead as July through Sept are our warmest months.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Pretty much the same here in Temecula, below average temps, but very pleasant, with a few days of unbearable scorching heat. I have not been home much, so I've missed most of it. The days of pummeling heat hit right as my Butia was entering anthesis and it seemed to accelerate it into a one day event instead of the normal two or three day. I almost missed my opportunity to sprinkle it with Cocos pollen, I hope it takes.

Looks like the 10 day is calling for high 80's to low 90's F which is perfect for me.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

low 70s. I don't know if it's cooler than normal or not. Seems cooler, though.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Closer to the coast we've been living "Groundhog Day" since the middle of May. Setting aside the whopping 80F we experienced this past weekend, every day is cloudy in the morning, with hazy sunshine trying (unsuccessfully) to break through in the afternoon. Temps range from low 60s to low 70s.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

July starts good here... 31.3C/87.8F today with no wind and later in the afternoon more humid. The evening right now is great to sit outside with my laptop with 29C/ 84.2 and a little warm breeze right now.

Tomorrow looks good to with 30C/86F and the weekend too with good temperatures but then it looks like summer going to leave us for a while :(

Robbin

Southwest

I've been enjoying the 80's with a nice breeze. As long as that breeze keeps blowing it's not too bad.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Quite an usual summer thus far. June tied records for cool temps thru-out the Southwest to the utter joy for those who have to depend on AC :mrlooney: Over 40 days straight of below normal max temps in LA & immediate coastline hasn't experienced any warm weather [over 80F\ 26.6]. Great Lakes\ Northeast US have been inundated w/ rainfall. Most of the South\ Great Plains are quite hot per norm. Past years w/ cool Junes were followed by normal to hot July\ August.

Considering water rationing, it's ideal weather but probably slowing palm growth.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I was checking a Death Valley site near Mineral Springs and it reported over 117F yesterday. If you want heat, just take a drive out to the Desert!

What you look for is what is looking

I was checking a Death Valley site near Mineral Springs and it reported over 117F yesterday. If you want heat, just take a drive out to the Desert!

I'll pass on that. That's a little too hot.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Moderating temps into the low 90s here after last week's heatup, expected this way for the next few days.

My Beccariophoenix (all 3 species) handled it well. The alfredii by far the best...very encouraging!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Cooler weather has arrived around the 20C this week, and also the time to get some rain if you are lucky. Looks like after this week the temperatures going to rise again :D

Robbin

Southwest

The dry season has finally taken hold here on my side of the equator. That does not mean it doesn´t rain. It just means that the majority of the time the sun is out and the daytime temperatures hover between 93 and 100 F and the nights still remain in the 72 to 74 F range. And, we get some powerful localized thunderstorms. Yesterday where my office is we got pounded, but the majority of the city saw no rain, wind, or lightening.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hottest day of summer at 95F today but still cooler than 100F recorded on April 20. Seems like July is always the "switch" to summer, meaning more irrigation :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yesterday seemed hotter to me. maybe more humdity. I can tell it is getting close to that time that I wish I had air conditioning.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It got hot in Walnut Creek yesterday, close to 100F and more of the same expected today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

101 here yesterday, expect 104 today...just got in from watering.

John Case

Brentwood CA

80s at the beaches last few days; in other words, PERFECT! The ocean has warmed up enough to go play in the water. July and August are my double happiness months. :):lol::)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It's been about 90F everyday with summer showers actually doing their thing this year.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

High in my backyard, 105.

My Beccariophoenix 'Windowpane' seems to be holding up. The olde leaves are burning but the new leaves appear to be alright. The B. alfredii are thriving. The B. madagascariensis is surviving with 1 new leaf each.

Strap leaf Bismarckia in full sun is standing up proud, Brahea armata continues to produce new leaves, Butia capitata and edulis have stopped growing.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Long range models all seem to be pointing to extreme heat in about 7-10 days for the entire West Coast.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Extream heat is hanging around in N. Calif. for the past several days with daytime highs in the upper 90's to 100+ and warmish nights from 59 to 63F. Anytime I have a night low of 60, that's warm for N. Calif. Summer is definately here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

27C/80,6F today and still 26C at the moment... and very quite outside no wind... but this silence will not stand for long.. there is a possibility that some huge thunderstorms are coming this night and tomorrow. Cluster lines with lots of winds and rain possible even the change for big hail is there again.

It's not for sure, don't know when, and if it come how strong it would be.. 25/26 May we had a same situation with some serious storm damage and a area with hugh hail bigger then golf balls... Well we will see what's going to happen, maybe there is nothing going to be happen, we will see and first going to enjoy the nice warm evening. :)

Robbin

Southwest

Ouch first report in the North of France from hail from 5 cm wide and wind gust from 90-100 km per hour. Looks almost exactly the same as the brutal night from 25 to 26 May with lots of trees blowing over, flooding etc

They give a hailwarming for the southwest where I live, so I place the more tender plants into the garage for the night. However the heavy weather can also be very beautifull, this pictures is from earlier this evening from Le havre (France). The same clusters that's coming to here, we can't seen them because it's dark.

DSCF0592.jpg

Robbin

Southwest

Beautiful photo as usual, Robbin :mrlooney:

Hot today [it's been near 90F or warmer for the past week - summer was late this year but it has arrived :blink:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

This is about the 10th day of a heat wave in N. Calif. It's 105 F at 3:30 PM. The plants are stressed and so am I. Pheww!!

Dick

Richard Douglas

I peaked at about 107F today, and it's still 102F at 4:25pm. Glad I watered this morning.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I peaked at about 107F today, and it's still 102F at 4:25pm. Glad I watered this morning.

Really hot inland [30 miles due west from Temecula it was 77F in Dana Point :lol:

Muggy this morning w/ dewpoints pushing 70 [high by California standards]. Wish we could get in on the rain over the mts. Ocean temps above 70F Santa Monica bay. Hi yesterday was 93F [bearable!

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I chose this morning to go hike Iron Mountain near Poway. I started to feel ill on the last of the ascent at the 3.25 mile mark. Well no wonder.

When we got down we checked the temperature -- 98F. Too hot for hiking!!! It is much more comfortable here on the coast at 78F.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Highway temps going from Oakland to Brentwood hit 109 on the way home.

It is Brentwood hot today.....guessing 104 with no breeze......the forecasts have been at least 10 degrees low for the past 2 days......liberal media I guess.

I would expect some relief soon.....I can't plant....

John Case

Brentwood CA

It's nice to read about the hot weather in the north. Helps me remember what it was like and what will be here in 5 months time. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Still hot but not too bad except in the valleys [100F+]. Humid & dew points in the 70's for low desert. Heat index was an incredible 133F in Mexicali today due to dew point of 79 & temp of 110 :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Kim - On Saturday I looked into planning a Sunday hike. I wanted to go somewhere high elevation, but even Idyllwild was forecast to hit 95F, and Mt Laguna 100F. I decided to wait until things cool down before heading for the mountains.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

It looks like a short respite for us...forecast today is 90 (which mean 95) and cooling until the end of the week, then back up over 90.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Hi,

Hot temperatures I see over there. Here we are right under the Jet and with a strong El Nino it's gives us after a few cooler days 22-24C/71.6-75.2F almost every time one or two days with higher temperatures from 28-30C/82.4-86F and with high humidity. When that happens we are directly punched by mother nature with heavy cluster thunderstorms.

Yesterday It was a day like describe here above, my temperature reached to 28.5C/83.3F and got a heaby thunderstorm in the beginning of the evening and during the thunders and lightnings there where high wind speeds, but not hail :) Yesterday everything what needed for heavy weather was active and optimal that it was even possible to produce tornado's. There where some places with heavy rotation wall clouds, huge hail, heavy rainfall and also possible downburst has been reported. It was a heavy evening, but also beautifull for pictures if you love the weather.

Here are some pics from a dutch weather forum, so they are not mine but they are all beautifull so I place only a couple, I have seen to much pics yesterday! Thanks to makers from the pictures!

Here are some pics from an area where they are researching now if there was a touchdown what could give a little tornado. They have also got lots of rain in a short time and hail from 4-5 cm wide.

Winter wonderland over there in mid summer!

19720092156153.jpg

19720092138160.jpg

19720092156152.jpg

Ouch!

Southwest

Well that's all... :) All made by good people that loves the weather :)

Also for tonight and tomorrow there is enough activity to create heavy thunderstorms...

1572009225431.png

Edited by Exotic Life

Southwest

July and August are the months with the worst weather in my garden. I live only about 25 miles/41Km from PalmGuyWC and Bepah. As their weather gets hotter, mine is cooler! My overnight low is 48F/9C and the daily high is 54F/12C. My highest temperature in the last three weeks has been 57F/13C. The overcast is so dense and dark that there are no shadows. Often there is no direct sunshine for days at my house. I get seasonal affective disorder in the 'summertime'!

San Francisco, California

Darold arrive at my place early on Friday....100F+ in the shade! Haven't seen a cloud in weeks! Hour and a half drive to the east and we'll heat things up. Looking forward to our SoCal trip!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

This is the 3rd morning that the San Francisco fog has reached Walnut Creek. Lows of about 56 at daylight, then warms to mid 80's by noon. Feels much nicer than the 100+ that we had for about 2 weeks.

Dick

Richard Douglas