IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal causiarum

plamfrong

Here's a Sabal causiarum from the same Seattle garden as the heavily damaged Brahea edulis. It was planted as a small plant in the early 90's. It has never had really heavy damage, (this is the worst I've seen it) and benefits somewhat from being surrounded by pavement and rock. As for the ID, well we can only hope the owner got it right. It doesn't look right for a lot of the better known hardy Sabal species, though.

img_8798.jpg

Here again is the weather for that neighborhood during our big freeze. The coldest night was about 16 degrees but it was below freezing for a long time and snowed almost two feet.

Magnolia Weather Station History

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.

That's certainly a Sabal, and a nice, robust one, too.

Looks more like a Riverside or uresana to me, with the silver leaves.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 9 months later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. 50% overhead protection. ~50 Plants in pots (3gal to 15gal) and in the ground had no damage.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Major leaf burn at 13F - 15F, but the wind was blowing up to 30mph. Horrible. No S. causiarum killed and putting out new foliage very strongly in May.

Joseph C. Le Vert

Augusta, GA

USA

Zone 8

• 2 years later...

Total defoliation on 5' CT specimen at 13F. Palm is growing well. 

1g totally defoliated at 16F in a frozen pot, spear pulled, thought was dead, but is alive and growing. 

• 7 months later...

Same big palm, 22f calm night 50% burn. Like phoenix these will survive zone 8 but will never look good.  If you need a massive sabal in zone 8 go with uresana or blackburnia or even mexicana. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

The Sabal Causiarum mixed in among other Sabal at John Fairey Garden is recovering nicely after 5 days below freezing and a ultimate low of 6°F

C46C8543-C18B-4FA6-9E70-10E0F2BD3BD2.jpeg

• Like 1