IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis "Cuesta Linda"

Bags

Not sure if these are available but I am looking for one any size. Thanks, Aaron

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

Phil had a bunch. If not, you can track down Jeff Brusseau (sp?). He has a lot of seedlings off his trees.

Not sure if these are available but I am looking for one any size. Thanks, Aaron

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I have a theory that the clumping D. baronii/onily type that's being sold as D. ambositrae might be one in the same as D. sp 'cuesta linda'. I've got both and should be able to tell soon. Phil might have some D. cuesta linda left but if he dosen't get the D. ambositrae that's labled wrong and clumps. You'll love this plant. It's fast, has great purple color, clumps vigorously, and can handle full all day inland sun from a 1 gallon plant and look perfect.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I have a theory that the clumping D. baronii/onily type that's being sold as D. ambositrae might be one in the same as D. sp 'cuesta linda'. I've got both and should be able to tell soon. Phil might have some D. cuesta linda left but if he dosen't get the D. ambositrae that's labled wrong and clumps. You'll love this plant. It's fast, has great purple color, clumps vigorously, and can handle full all day inland sun from a 1 gallon plant and look perfect.

Can't you guys get it together out there? I bought a couple of small ones from the great Louie Hooper. Their doing great.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the replies. Jeff from Trabucco canyon has some so I am going to try and meet up with him.

Matt. I have the palm you described so I may already have a D. cuesta linda. Here is a pic from last summer. What do you think?

aaronspalms2009062.jpg

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

That's not it. And the one Phil was selling does not turn out to be like the "Cuesta Linda" Brusseau has. I have both. The one Phil has grows out of that 'look' and clusters pretty profusely. "Cuesta Linda" Baronii's are all single that I know of. Just FYI.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

It is strange that there are a few different 'Cuesta Linda' palms floating around. I would think they would all be from Brusseau's palm and would all be the same. I guess I will just have to get them all.

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

The 'real' ones are all from Jeff's plant. Seed has been going around for a long time. The plant Matty was taking about that Phil sells as D. ambositrae 'not red' or something like that, is not the same the 'Cuesta Linda' plant. However Phil does have true 'Cuesta Linda' too - labeled as such :)

In the end they are all D. baronii/onily types. The thing that is cool about this plant is they most seem to stay single - which is desirable by some.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Well it is a Dypsis. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, My D. sp 'Cuesta Linda' (from Phil via Jeff's seed) has split right down the middle and dosen't seem to be growing very vigorously in the full sun. My mislabled D. ambositrae clumper is profusely clumping as you said, and loves full sun and is crazy fast. So you must be right, I guess they are different. They both have distinct purple coloring as young so I thought they looked the same.,

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

alright alright alright enough of the craziness... ill add some more, i have a cuesta linda from Mr Bresseau his self and mine is still solitair. deep purple colored crown but it also has a heel not sure if the ones you guys are buying have or do not have a heel. ill snap a picture and show u guys what i have looks nothing like baronii, closer to what the "true ambo" looks like but still a few differences