IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

plamfrong

Seems that I can upload an avatar and see it on my avatar control page, but the old avatar continues to persist in message threads and is not replaced by the new image. It doesn't help if I delete it and upload something from scratch... the old one still pops up again. When I click on 'view image' it seems as if some sort of time stamp is being put on any new image I upload as an avatar which interferes with the ability to see it in message threads. I'll try to provide a more detailed explanation if there's no easy answer. Thanks, Ian

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

January average high/low: 44/32

July average high/low: 74/51

16" annual average precipitation

Seems that I can upload an avatar and see it on my avatar control page, but the old avatar continues to persist in message threads and is not replaced by the new image. It doesn't help if I delete it and upload something from scratch... the old one still pops up again. When I click on 'view image' it seems as if some sort of time stamp is being put on any new image I upload as an avatar which interferes with the ability to see it in message threads. I'll try to provide a more detailed explanation if there's no easy answer. Thanks, Ian

Sorry,

Not enough info. You have designated that av-135.jpg be displayed, and that is what is appearing. Is that not the one you wish?

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Thanks for the reply. For some mysterious reason... the problem has corrected itself sometime overnight. The one I intended to see is apppearing now. I have no idea why it took a couple days for it to work. Anyhoo.... thanks.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Thanks for the reply. For some mysterious reason... the problem has corrected itself sometime overnight. The one I intended to see is apppearing now. I have no idea why it took a couple days for it to work. Anyhoo.... thanks.

You probably didn't clear your cache, and were still viewing your cached files instead of the changes. Most people don't realize they miss a lot if they don't periodically clear their temporary internet files.

I can make a change on a web page, and you may not be able to see it until you delete the old version of that page in your cache.

Why cant these be hardier? Kinda like that, would have to agree with you.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

When I refreshed the image in my browser, the "wrong" (old) one still showed up... is that to be expected if I didn't delete the contents of the cache?

Could say that about a lot of things really!

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

When I refreshed the image in my browser, the "wrong" (old) one still showed up... is that to be expected if I didn't delete the contents of the cache?

Could say that about a lot of things really!

Have you cleared your cache? Just refreshing doesn't do it.

What avatar is the "old" one, and which one do you want? Is the "Why can't these be hardier?" not the one you want?

Oh yes, that is the one I want. In my last reply, I was referring to what formerly happened before the problem corrected itself. I never cleared the cache that I know of so I'm trying to get my mind around why the new image, that I want, does show. At this point I was sort of just asking out of curiousity. Its not a big deal though....I know what to do next time.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

Impossible for me to help without even knowing what browser you are using, or how you have it set up. There are many settings in browsers that can automatically erase your cache under certain conditions.

Impossible for me to help without even knowing what browser you are using, or how you have it set up. There are many settings in browsers that can automatically erase your cache under certain conditions.

It's the latest version of firefox. No worries then... thanks for your help.

Sequim, WA. cool and dry

• 4 weeks later...
My avatar vanished and I didn't change a thing... :huh:

Famous last words. :)

Simona,

The address you are using for your avatar (http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7561/allerlei10102sg.gif), as far as I can tell, is no longer a valid address. Have you changed or discontinued your Image Shack account?

Thank you very much for looking into it. Not that I know of any actions done on Image Shack but I'm going to upload the avatar anew.

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

imageshack has a tendency to delete images after a certain amount of time if your using the free service.