IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

big sabal frond

sonoranfans

I trimmed my largest sabal yesterday, one frond, the lowest one. I am not big on trimming, but this one was laying on another palm planted underneath. I've posted pics of this sabal before, it has a 2'-2 1/2' trunk thick trunk that is about 2' wide also. The sabal was marked blackburniana, which we know isnt a recognized species. Fronds are kinda large for palmetto and its a fast grower, so Im thinking domingensis, the fruit and flowers are very similar to the domingensis as described in many articles.Here is the pic with yours truly at 6'1" or so holding it. This one has a relatively short petiole, the latest emerging ones are more than 1' longer with even a bit bigger fronds. It appears that the frond leaflet tip to tip is bigger than I. Anybody else out there with a huge trimmed frond, fan or feather?

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Tom, it certainly isn't a palmetto in my opinion..... it kind of looks like that Riverside I have, especially with the yellowing petiole. How wide is the frond itself??? My guess is either Riverside or Domingensis. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

What a whoppa!!!! All of my funky Sabals are all small, the only large ones here are Palmettos, which pale in comparison!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

That is massive Tom. Do you have a picture off the face of that frond and one of the whole palm?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Tom, it certainly isn't a palmetto in my opinion..... it kind of looks like that Riverside I have, especially with the yellowing petiole. How wide is the frond itself??? My guess is either Riverside or Domingensis. Jv

Jamjv

The width of the frond is about 4 1/2- 5' when laid flat, but the frond is folded on itself, strongly recurved as you can see. I have 2 that originated from the same local parent tree, the second one is a bit younger and in more shade. All its petioles are green, so I suppose the yellowing on the lower petioles of the bigger one is caused by sun exposure.

Tom Blank

That is massive Tom. Do you have a picture off the face of that frond and one of the whole palm?

Here is the frond laid flat, for scale the largest pavers in the spa nearby are 6"by9".

Tom Blank

Dear Tom :)

Nice visual & can we have the previlage of seeing the entire palm,since if a frond is so big & beautiful...i cannot imagine how beautiful that entire palm would appear to be.. :)

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

And here is the big sabal on the left fruiting, and its 1 younger relative on the right(hasnt yet). Note how the smaller one is a really even green. This is the toughest time of the year, lots of transpiration losses in this dry/hot. I probably should have trimmed the big one up more before the season, it gets notably more intense sun. The smaller one is 4 1/2 years from a 15 gallon, the bigger one same time from a 24" box. For scale the larger queen has a pretty thick 18" trunk, its not like the ones in the monster queen thread, but its only 4 1/2 years in the ground.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank

Dear Tom :)

Thanks for the visual..you have a nice garden with neatly tiled flooring around it ! :greenthumb:

Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Very nice Tom. That area looks well taken care of. Is that a rec and a couple of cerifera's in the pic also? You really can see the difference between the protected and unprotected Sabals.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Very nice Tom. That area looks well taken care of. Is that a rec and a couple of cerifera's in the pic also? You really can see the difference between the protected and unprotected Sabals.

Matt

Yeah Matt the rec is definitely a hybrid, fronds arent flat, a little plumose. And yes there are two ceriferas in the pic, and the sabals do prefer less than full sun. Its funny, maybe bizzies and brahea armatas are my only species that seem to take the dry season sun without much stress. Every time I hear the description "full sun", I laugh a little. Very few plants/trees here want full, all day sun, even those young ceriferas dont want the hot western sun. In the beginning, I fried a 24" box butia in the western sun(3/4 defoliated). The sabals dont even see the hottest sun of the day(western sun) at all. Part of the reason I group many of the palms is because of the sun. I even planted a livistona rigida with netting over it for the first 3 months to prevent it from being fried before it develops a root system.

Tom Blank

Matt

Yeah Matt the rec is definitely a hybrid, fronds arent flat, a little plumose. And yes there are two ceriferas in the pic, and the sabals do prefer less than full sun. Its funny, maybe bizzies and brahea armatas are my only species that seem to take the dry season sun without much stress. Every time I hear the description "full sun", I laugh a little. Very few plants/trees here want full, all day sun, even those young ceriferas dont want the hot western sun. In the beginning, I fried a 24" box butia in the western sun(3/4 defoliated). The sabals dont even see the hottest sun of the day(western sun) at all. Part of the reason I group many of the palms is because of the sun. I even planted a livistona rigida with netting over it for the first 3 months to prevent it from being fried before it develops a root system.

I know what you mean about the "full sun comment", you have to look at where the individual saying it lives. My sun and heat can be brutal, but not quite as scorching as yours, but I also don't think I get the growth that you AZ folks get.

I tend to be a bit careless and impatient with plants after I buy them. Most go straight from the growers greenhouse into the ground at my place. They usually show stress at first, but most are perfect on the next full sun grown frond, I've only lost one plant this way. Unfortunately, the nice beautiful plants that I buy end up half the size by the end of the growing season due to greenhouse shrink, but that's what you get buying greenhouse plants. I planted 5 Dypsis onilahensis in full sun that are showing some stress, but they were greenhouse grown plants so I'll have to give them some time to acclimate. I have hopes that these will take it.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt

I know what you mean about the "full sun comment", you have to look at where the individual saying it lives. My sun and heat can be brutal, but not quite as scorching as yours, but I also don't think I get the growth that you AZ folks get.

I tend to be a bit careless and impatient with plants after I buy them. Most go straight from the growers greenhouse into the ground at my place. They usually show stress at first, but most are perfect on the next full sun grown frond, I've only lost one plant this way. Unfortunately, the nice beautiful plants that I buy end up half the size by the end of the growing season due to greenhouse shrink, but that's what you get buying greenhouse plants. I planted 5 Dypsis onilahensis in full sun that are showing some stress, but they were greenhouse grown plants so I'll have to give them some time to acclimate. I have hopes that these will take it.

I have a 5 gal size dypsis baronii planted early april(terry brought it to AZ for me) in near full shade, its looking OK so far but was grown outside in full socal sun(gary woods). It has 3 trunks and has pushed out 2 new fronds per trunk so far, I just gotta keep the shade over it and water frequently(every day). When I recieved it, it was yellow of frond, now its turning light green on the newest fronds. Any dypsis(aside from decaryi) in full sun here is a goner. I put my rigida in the ground in a western sun spot this past spring, and it lost 2 strap leaves(dried right up) in 3 weeks, and it was AZ grown in part shade(no greenhouse). Then I put the net over it to stop the damage. I just removed the net a week ago, now it looks pretty good with 2 new palmate fronds. Part day sun is best for most palms here, even royals and queens.

Edited by sonoranfans

Tom Blank