IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the south

Tyrone

Hi Peachy, is that 38 klicks west ?

As 38 klms east of the city was a bit too damp for my needs west was the only way for me to go.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

It's "freezing" here today. There's a big fan in Antarctica blowing cold air at 100kph up to us at the moment. We had a warm rainy night with a min of 14.7C and by 7.30am we were past our forecast max of 17C reaching 17.8C The wind has been so strong and one minute the sun's out and the wind drops and everything seems fine, then the next minute the wind howls, the sky darkens, the heavens bucket down, then it all repeats the process. Now we've got the wind behind the front with all that cold air pool flying at us. The temp has dropped as well as the dewpoint. When the high moves in behind this cold air pool and all the wind drops out with clear night skies...... etc it will be cold. :(

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Wet here again in northern NSW, 95 mm in the last 36hrs. We are only just getting over major flooding of the Clarence river 3 weeks ago so rain at the moment is most unwelcome.

Winter so far has been very wet but not freezing cold thank goodness, 8 deg C is the minimum so far in the garden.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

It was a brisk 18 C this morning , had some showers over the last few days ,

Sunny as today .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Weather here is mild lately, although we had a lot of rain yesterday and last night. The water is still above the grass level as the ground is so waterlogged. Too wet to do any work in the garden as you 'squelch' everywhere.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

11 deg last night/this morning.... Getting cold. It won't be long before we get single digit at night again....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Can you grow Lipstick Palms Ari?

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

11 deg last night/this morning.... Getting cold. It won't be long before we get single digit at night again....

Wow Ari, our minimums are 4-5C warmer than you! that's amazing...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Can you grow Lipstick Palms Ari?

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes... of course. I have 3 growing strong...

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Two below freezing nights last week,a minus 1 and minus 3C in succession. All the babies were safely inside (so I thought) but yesterday I found a couple I had forgotton about (calyptrocalyx hollrungii and drymophoelus oliviformus) sitting beside the big philodendron, both unharmed and thriving. However I think it was a case of good luck more than good management as the big foxtails across the river from here were frost burnt from the same cold spell.

Peachy

-3 c Thats lower than the all time record for Hobart ! my lowest so far has been 1.2 c . Looks like my Rhopy bauerii will be fine outside for our winters . You have one growing dont you peachy?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Two below freezing nights last week,a minus 1 and minus 3C in succession. All the babies were safely inside (so I thought) but yesterday I found a couple I had forgotton about (calyptrocalyx hollrungii and drymophoelus oliviformus) sitting beside the big philodendron, both unharmed and thriving. However I think it was a case of good luck more than good management as the big foxtails across the river from here were frost burnt from the same cold spell.

Peachy

-3 c Thats lower than the all time record for Hobart ! my lowest so far has been 1.2 c . Looks like my Rhopy bauerii will be fine outside for our winters . You have one growing dont you peachy?

Yes Troy I have a rhopy baueri and it doesn't mind the extremes of hot and cold we suffer thru here. It gets partial shade from a maccaranga/omalanthus (depending on whom one asks) and is alongside an archontophoenix purpurae and a chamaedorea plumosa(the fastest growing palm I have ever seen) It's a bit slower growing than the purpurae but that could be due to my climate or the fact that they arent all that fast. In any case yours should be fine but I would give it a little bit of protection from frost while it is little although mine survived a black frost its first year in the ground.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Peachy

Yes Troy I have a rhopy baueri and it doesn't mind the extremes of hot and cold we suffer thru here. It gets partial shade from a maccaranga/omalanthus (depending on whom one asks) and is alongside an archontophoenix purpurae and a chamaedorea plumosa(the fastest growing palm I have ever seen) It's a bit slower growing than the purpurae but that could be due to my climate or the fact that they arent all that fast. In any case yours should be fine but I would give it a little bit of protection from frost while it is little although mine survived a black frost its first year in the ground.

Peachy

27.35 south.

We had some lovely rain again last night. Even tho the place was a swamp just a few weeks ago, the ground has dried up and starting to crack already so I have been back watering for a couple of weeks so any rain is still welcome at my place. It looks like my butea capitata may have drowned in the big wet as the new spear just opening is dead and no sign of another healthy one on the way either. :angry:

Peachy

27.35 south.

We have had almost 100mm over the weekend. Wet, Wet, Wet!

At least the temps are warm. I dread cold saturated soil and clear winter nights!

Daryl

We've had quite a bit of rain but nothing like QLD's winter downpours. (You guys should be dry now???????) Anyway we're meant to get the coldest night of the year tonight. 2C forecast. We were freezing today barely hitting 15C but with blue skies. Tonight the clouds have moved in so maybe it won't drop to 2C. I won't complain if it stays warmer.

At least it's winter solstice, so the days should get longer from now on, although it will be at least a month before we notice.

Best regards

Tyrone

Another 53mm overnight and it still continues....

So much for our 'dry' winters :huh:

Daryl

We dodged that 2C bullet lastnight. It didn't drop below 7.6C thanks to cloud cover. No rain today, but tomorrow it will start again. Maybe we might start getting some of our rain back from sunny QLD. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

185 mm of rain in the last 3 & a bit days, everything is totally saturated!! we need some sunshine soon as everything is starting to grow stilt roots & webbed feet to cope with the water :winkie::winkie: .

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Crappy dry & fine weather here... (surprise.. surprise..). At least, the nights are warming up again. I don't think I can handle too much of those cold nights :unsure:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Oh Ari, When will you realise that if you can grow Lipstick palms in the open you don't have cold nights. :P

:)

However to your defence, if I lived in Darwin for a number of years I'd call 15C minimums freezing cold as well. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

It only takes 1 build-up to acclimatise, Tyrone :mrlooney:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Got my one and only old thick woolly jumper on , and thinking of snuggling under the doona to read .

Don't really know why, as its not cold .. still over 20 c .. maybe its the short day thing .

Had some drizzle today and was helped by a mate , to clean up the front yard some more.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Got my one and only old thick woolly jumper on , and thinking of snuggling under the doona to read .

Don't really know why, as its not cold .. still over 20 c .. maybe its the short day thing .

Had some drizzle today and was helped by a mate , to clean up the front yard some more.

:lol: over 20 ? under a doona ?

You're lucky Michael, my mates wouldn't be helping me...hang on.... i don't have any mates.. :hmm:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It only takes 1 build-up to acclimatise, Tyrone :mrlooney:

I'd say you're right Ari.

Have you got a heater? :winkie:

Best regards

Tyrone

I'm a climatic coward too !! My heating stays on all winter long, set to kick in the instant it gets below 20. Of course it mainly for the pets and the indoor plants. ;) Peachy

27.35 south.

Michael I think you need a wooden tile fire, for those nights below 18C and days below 28C. :lol:

Best regards

Tyrone

I'm a climatic coward too !! My heating stays on all winter long, set to kick in the instant it gets below 20. Of course it mainly for the pets and the indoor plants. ;) Peachy

I'm with you peachy. The heater's on all day and all night in winter. A winter without a heater in Perth is worth moving to Darwin for. It's just not worth enduring, and it keeps my seeds under lights in my back room at the right temp of a toasty 30C.

Tyrone

I remember when I lived in (coastal) Darwin we had one winter morning that went down to 17C. Everybody wore ugg boots and jumpers to school. It was still 30C during the day.

Still more rain here. Another 30mm today and no sign of any let-up yet.

Daryl

Coastal Darwin minimum so far is 16deg.... We are colder at night and hotter during the day....

Daryl,

Don't be greedy.... send some of those rain up here. You have been getting heaps this year.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, it's our rain OK. This is our wet season, it's your dry as well as QLD's. Your turn will come in a few months. Now, enjoy your freezing cold 32C max's and 20C+ mins. :P:D

Tyrone

Coldest day in 4 years today. A max of 12.8C and wet. Brrrrrrr.

It can only get better from here.

Best regards

Tyrone

It looks as if the rain has gone for a while so it meant planting time before the ground turned back to concrete. The ground was moist as far down as I can dig so its all had a really good soaking. Many of the palms are sending up new spears and they are growing faster than usual, which is a worry if we get a frost later on. However just for now I am enjoying being able to get things in the ground by myself without having to wait for a visitor or pay somebody like I usually have to. It stayed in the low 20s too which is ideal for hard manual labour, even the furry boys thought so when they decided to 'help' !!

Peachy

27.35 south.

As much as I love this time of the year.... my garden doesn't. Time to do some mulching!!

Tyrone,

I missed your question... Yes, I do own a heater.... from our time in Brisbane :blink:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They have heaters in Brisbane???? :blink:

Tyrone, stop joking around and start getting ready for those 100km/h winds and heavy rain that are coming your way.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Already here Phillip. It's crappy old winter here. About as bad as it gets. At the moment it's calm. Once the low passes over us and moves a bit east, then the winds will just keep cranking up. About 3 fronts to come yet before we get a day without rain.

Best regards

Tyrone

WOW. Lots of rain in QLD. Lucky buggers!

Ty hope you dont get too much damage, it always seems to happen that your favorite palms are opening soft tender new leaves when the big wind comes!

We the same as Ari at the mo, dry with even drier winds blowing from the interior. Had to pull the hose around this morning and water the more drought tender stuff.

Last two mornings have been at 10c but the days are nice. Sunday got to 30c but was very windy and dry. There are a few monster cold fronts moving over the Cape and western interior and we are expected to get 65km SW's today....going to have to pick up all the blown over pots again.

Seems winter has arrived in ernest...

Dennis

Edited by PalmsZA

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

30C in winter Dennis. You're in the tropics man!!!!!

Well it was a very mild day today. Nothing like I expected. Lastnight once the sun went down the temp went up so at midnight we were at 16C which was our maximum from the day. It rained like crazy and we had a very warm night for June of 14.3C min which was warmer than most of the previous day. The sun was out today with a very pleasant 20C, and my coconut is still growing.

Tomorrow the first of 5 cold fronts will hit with a vengeance. The isobars are very close together for about 5 days, so gusty 100kph winds it will be. We won't see much sun for a week and we're expecting around 100mm during the week. We've gone from a dry June to wetter than average June.

Best regards

Tyrone

So cold today that I didnt go outside at all apart from grabbing the mail and pulling a rampaging Pug out of my newly laid mulch. It was only 18 outside, so the heating was on full blast indoors. Dennis I remember those cold winds coming down from the mountains when I was a little kid visiting my grandmother in PMB.....brrrr they could get so totally frigid. And Ty, although it was in the tropics, the odd flurry of snow wasnt unknown.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hi Guys

Well yesterday turned out to be a nice day at 27c and by 7pm the "big" wind hadnt shown face and I thought we had dodged it.....well at around 8pm all hell broke loose and the wind came with a vengance! Did a quick clean-up this morning and it was fresh, 13.5c and windy.

Peachy-I reckon I will win the UK, USA, Aus and RSA lotto before I see snow in Durbs :-). PMB maybe but here....eish never. So are you a expat? How long have you been in Aus?

D

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South