IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Winter in the south

Tyrone

Got down to 6C last night, clear skies.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

It was a nice sunny 21.6C today. Not a cloud in the sky until the clouds came back and a storm front edged in. It's nice to now have consistent rain and warm nights again. Over the last two nights where we got down to 1.5C and 5.5C the coconut actually grew a cm of spear. I'm amazed by it, especially since it's a Golden Dwarf Malay. I now don't doubt that it's here to stay, I'm actually wondering if I can get it to flower one day. :wacko:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Had a warm 13.4C min last night and a bit of rain. Quite warm for this time of year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Well it was a sunny 21C today and I did a big clean up in the garden this weekend. I made two compost heaps with all the leaves and small branches that came down. I had a few 20ft long branches come down and cause a mess. But overall the only damage was two large Cuban Royal leaves ripped off at the trunk, some damage to my Abysinian banana, a collapsed Musa banana, and I was able to save my Raphia from a large branch landing on it. I've got to do some repairs to one of my shadehouses. It's a bit battered.

Tomorrow the rain returns, with some strong winds later in the week. I wonder what more will fall out of my Eucalyptus. The canopy is looking much thinner now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Any plans on getting rid of that gumtree?

1.5C this morning. Warming up tomorrow with a max around 19-20C, then rain for a while and warmer nights. So this could be the lowest it'll get this year. I'm hoping. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

I heard it got below freezing in Perth?

Got down to 3C last night and it has been pretty cold with a max of 14C. Tomorrow doesnt look to be much better.

Bit of rain as well.

Tyrone, you still cover the Golden Dwarf Malay? Any artifical heating?

Cheers

Mike

Lee, The canopy that the gumtree gives negates any problems from falling limbs IMO.

Perth didn't drop below freezing. Perth proper has only dropped below freezing once since the 1880's and that was in 2006 when it went down to neg 0.7C. Places like Jandakot and Gin Gin and areas in the hills will drop below on rare occasions, but apart from Jandakot they're not even in the Perth metro. York may have dropped below freezing but that's 100km inland.

Mike, I have the Dwarf Malay covered but it's largest two leaves and spear are sticking out of a 40cm square hole in the roof into the elements. It's opening a spear at the moment. I provide no other heat than what the sun gives it.

Best regards

Tyrone

OK... it is official. We went to single digit last night. It was 9deg. Freezing for us in tropical Darwin. It is not 8.48 am and it is still freezing!!!

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

OK... it is official. We went to single digit last night. It was 9deg. Freezing for us in tropical Darwin. It is not 8.48 am and it is still freezing!!!

Hi Ari, what would be the all time record low for Darwin?

Cheers

Mike

Lee, The canopy that the gumtree gives negates any problems from falling limbs IMO.

Perth didn't drop below freezing. Perth proper has only dropped below freezing once since the 1880's and that was in 2006 when it went down to neg 0.7C. Places like Jandakot and Gin Gin and areas in the hills will drop below on rare occasions, but apart from Jandakot they're not even in the Perth metro. York may have dropped below freezing but that's 100km inland.

Mike, I have the Dwarf Malay covered but it's largest two leaves and spear are sticking out of a 40cm square hole in the roof into the elements. It's opening a spear at the moment. I provide no other heat than what the sun gives it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Maybe thats the "official" temps but I have recorded -1C myself in suburban Perth. :)

A chilly 16 inside last nite , and a reported 11 locally .

Bet there are a few stressed out Lippys and other tropicals .

A very dry June with only a few mm of rain .

Only a little rain this month also .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Cheers

Mike

Darwin city probably won't go to single digit. We are on the outskirts of Darwin - 35km inland, so we get hotter and colder. Darwin's min is probably 10deg. As far as our place, we got to 8deg 2 years ago.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Best regards

Tyrone

Maybe thats the "official" temps but I have recorded -1C myself in suburban Perth. :)

Where were you living Lee?

Even on that coldest morning in 06 in my most totally exposed part of the garden I didn't record less than 2C on the thermometer. So far my garden wouldn't have dropped below 4C this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Lipstick still green, no growth but never was during winter in the past.

Maybe next week it will cark it.

Mike

Best regards

Tyrone

Even on that coldest morning in 06 in my most totally exposed part of the garden I didn't record less than 2C on the thermometer. So far my garden wouldn't have dropped below 4C this year.

Best regards

Tyrone

Joondanna mate.

Best regards

Tyrone

Best regards

Tyrone

Joondanna mate.

Was it in 06? Some areas of Perth can drop below zero in very cold years ie 2006. But in general the metro area doesn't drop below zero with the big exception of Jandakot. In Jandakot you can't grow foxtails or Golden Canes yet they both flower near me. Gosnells where I grew up, was ice free all of my childhood except for 1997 which was the first year I ever saw ice on a windscreen in my life. Gosnells is basically frost free and has averages more like Geraldton than Perth. The climate varies majorly throughout Perth.

Best regards

Tyrone

brrrrr just reset the max-min .. currently 18 inside , and it got down to 16 :o this morning .. no wonder I did not want to get out from under my doona :bemused: .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Cheers

Mike

Darwin city probably won't go to single digit. We are on the outskirts of Darwin - 35km inland, so we get hotter and colder. Darwin's min is probably 10deg. As far as our place, we got to 8deg 2 years ago.

Ari, officially, Humpty Doo got down to 5.9C on Friday morning...brrrr! Darwin Airport got down to 17C...big difference!

Mike, the coldest temp ever at Darwin Airport was 10.4C in July 1942...the airport is only a km or two from the ocean.

These are the minimum temperature records for Darwin...

High Min (°C) 29.3 29.4 29.2 28.3 26.6 25.6 25.1 25.6 26.7 28.8 29.7 29.7

Low Min (°C) 20.2 17.2 19.2 16.0 13.8 12.1 10.4 13.2 14.3 19.0 19.3 19.8

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Not at my place, Daryl... thank goodness. My weather station says 9.4deg. It must be 5.9deg near the swamp there....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Ari, it is surprising how cold it is just near Humpty Doo area, and down to Adelaide River. Further east it stays much warmer. Must be a cold air drain or something..into the low swamp land.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Scott reckons... everytime he comes home from work on the bike, he can feel the change of temperature after that creek on the Pioneer Drive (if you remember). The temperature drops significantly there. I think that creek is a part of Howard river. I never thought about the swamp being cold air drain... I just thought probably because we are inland. But then, we are not too far away from Black Jungle.

The garden doesn't mind it - a lot of foliage drops, but other than that... everything should be good. It is still pretty warm during the day and I am very careful with watering after dark now.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Friday morning it had gone down to 1c, so I went out to check on some of the more tender plants and they were doing fine. My new trick with mulch seems to be working as many older things are still growing at this time of year. I bought a lot of mulch lucerne early this year and let it start to decay. It goes all slimy and awful but throws out quite bit of heat. I put this on the ground and then fresh lucerne hay on top of it. Even if its below freezing, the ground underneath the mulch is quite warm and the plants are appreciating it. As I have central heating in the house a few things get very dry so I started using spagnum moss as mulch on the indoor plants and since I did, none of them have become all dry and fried looking. I dont know if this is of help to anyone but here it was for what its worth.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Cold today with intermittent hail. :(

:sick: weather.

Hi all

Ty-Hope there isnt much damage mate! We have had our fair share of that muck this year too, though it did come in summer.

Nothing much to report here lately. Weather is stable with cool to cold nights (lowest 7c this past week) and warm dry days in the mid 20's. Today is expected to reach 25c...

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

Warming up today.... The temperature goes up and down at the moment... weird.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi all

Ty-Hope there isnt much damage mate! We have had our fair share of that muck this year too, though it did come in summer.

Nothing much to report here lately. Weather is stable with cool to cold nights (lowest 7c this past week) and warm dry days in the mid 20's. Today is expected to reach 25c...

No real damage that I can see yet, but the cold spotting may come in a few days. I expect the bottles to get a bit spotty. We had heavy hail just before sunrise for about a minute and two hours later there was still hail sitting on peoples roofs all congealed into globs of ice. The cover on my coconut worked a treat, but where the water collects the hail was floating as one big glob of ice. Where the water can run in, (the opposite side to my coconut) there was still ice against the fence. Anyway the sun came out after this and melted everything, only to hail again half an hour later. Around midday my wife rang me to say that it hailed so much in the CBD that the roads were white with it. I quickly pulled in my Carpoxylons just in time, but luckily I didn't get anything much here that time. Just a few seconds of white marble frenzy. I had to go out to a quote in Fremantle near the coast and it was blowing a gale, but they didn't have hail at all. I think you just can be unlucky. Hurry up Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

Warming up today.... The temperature goes up and down at the moment... weird.

It's Antarctica Ari. It is having some effect on you, though nothing like down here. The cold front that has come through here has effected the cloud formations not far from Indonesia and Bali.

Best regards

Tyrone

Hope everything is ok for you in WA Tyrone, here it has been sunny and warm up to 22C today not bad for the middle of winter. Some cold weather coming though. Checked the lipstick still fine.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike. So far nothing really damaged, but I expect things to really slow down in the garden now.

In my hothouse my Euterpe precatoria's are going all brown on the tips. I think they're as tropical as oleracea by the sounds of it. My E edulis orange crownshafts are dark green and still growing. My L grandis, Joey altifrons, and Areca guppyana are all still doing fine in there, along with Hydriastele wendlandianna, and my one gold form A merrilii which just sulks all the time. My Kerriodoxa's are putting on growth in there. It hasn't dropped below 7C in there and normally gets up to 20C during the day, so I think my E precatoria's complaining at this stage means they're a "no grow" in Perth unfortunately. :(

I'm glad your lipstick is still going. Go Lipstick!!!!

Best regards

Tyrone

I have decided that if Mike's lipstick survives this winter then I should be able to keep one alive here in a tub. The nights have warmed up here, staying about 7 to 10 range. Nothing went into winter slow down tho this year. Probably due to all the wet weather we had. Just about all the palms are sending up new spears all over the place and the Licuala grandis are really powering ahead. Tyrone, my list of cold hardy palms says that Kerriodoxa are fine to -2c so you may be able to put them outside. Mine is only tiny but its out on the deck in the shade but no heating. Between, you and the boys in Tassie I am learning what species should surive here.....saving me a fortune.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Tyrone and Peachy, I have a Kerriodoxa inground not a particularly warm site, its atleast 7 years old and shows no sign of the past winters cold. It should do well in Perth and of course Brisbane. My grandis is about the same age inground but I do cover it during winter, none of my palms recieve any heat anymore during winter, to expensive. My grandis is close to a heated pond as is the lipstick. Both of these palms will have roots in and around the pond after all these years, maybe this is what will keep them alive and well during the winter months. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Mike

Mike and Peachy, thanks for the info on Kerriodoxa. I knew that they had some cold hardiness, but in summer we get those strong easterlies that are dry and they hate low humidity. In the hothouse they stay extra warm, and very humid when the misters come on from Spring to Autumn and have done well. Eventually when they get bigger I'll put them out in a protected still spot with ample humidity. The trouble is it's hard to find a still spot in windy old Perth.

Best regards

Tyrone

Oh was I supposed to protect my Kerriodoxia ? :unsure: It's been out on the deck since it was 10 cms high. Not quite sure where I could put a heated pool though. Maybe a small hot tub or something ? First of all I will have to sort through a few potential ex husbands who can finance it for me .

Peachy

27.35 south.

Hehe--Peachy I am sure you will find atleast one sucker amongst them!

KerrioD are very tough palms! I have one down by the river and its damn cold down there. Never even gets a spot. Ty is right about wind tho, those leaves are very "papery" and seem to get damaged by the wind easily.

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

When my watering failed when I was away this time of the year last year.... almost everything in the area didn't make it except for Kerriodoxa. I think it is VERY tough.... but coming from Thailand probably it is used to similar climates to here.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

They grow beautifully in SE QLD, the cold winters here don't faze them, and they are really drought tolerant.. I have seem some really beautiful specimens around town. They even survive OK in warmer parts of Sydney.

Daryl

Getting even further off topic, here's a photo...

post-42-1248266431_thumb.jpg

Is that a real person ? It's not me is it ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Back to the weather... It feels hot and humid today. I am actually sweating :blink: . The clouds are clearing though, so we might get another cold snaps... As long as it is not in the single digit, I don't mind...

p.s. nice photos, Daryl.... whose Kerriodoxa is that??

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Back to the weather... It feels hot and humid today. I am actually sweating :blink: . The clouds are clearing though, so we might get another cold snaps... As long as it is not in the single digit, I don't mind...

p.s. nice photos, Daryl.... whose Kerriodoxa is that??

Ari, it was great here today as well...26C and sunny. The palm in the photo is Leo Gamble's.

regards,

Daryl

Here's the forecast for Perth. This will be the coldest of winter I think and after this cold spell we'll make the long slow climb out of the dank hole which is winter. This is the coldest two weeks statistically for Perth and in August winter loosens it's grip, just ever so slightly. :)

Forecast for Thursday evening

Fine. Light to moderate S/SE winds.

Precis: Fine.

Forecast for Friday

Fine until a few showers develop during Friday evening and night. Light SE winds

shifting moderate SW during the morning and becoming moderate to fresh W/SW

during the evening

Precis: Fine day, late showers.

City: Min 4 Max 16

Mandurah: Min 7 Max 15

UV Alert: Nil , UV Index predicted to reach 2 [Low]

Fire Danger: Coastal Plain:

Hills:

Saturday Early shower then fine. Min 5 Max 15

Sunday Fine. Min 2 Max 15

Monday Fine. Min 3 Max 16

Tuesday Fine. Min 4 Max 18

Wednesday Fine. Min 5 Max 20

Thursday Fine. Min 7 Max 20

I'm looking forward to Wed and Thursday.

Best regards

Tyrone