• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Palm Sale at the Quail Gardens CA

jdapalms

As many of you know the Palm Society of Southern Calif. had its meeting and annual spring sale this last Saturday and I managed to take a few pictures. Did anyone else out there take any pictures? I didn't see to many cameras. Considering the crappy weather, we had a great time and the turn out seemed to be better than last year’s event.

These pictures were taken before the event began and below is one of the early birds, Ralph Velez.

post-420-1243902396_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902549_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902497_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902472_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902441_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902424_thumb.jpg

Jerry D. Andersen

JD Andersen Nursery

Fallbrook, CA / Leilani Estates, HI

As many of you know the Palm Society of Southern Calif. had its meeting and annual spring sale this last Saturday and I managed to take a few pictures. Did anyone else out there take any pictures? I didn't see to many cameras. Considering the crappy weather, we had a great time and the turn out seemed to be better than last year’s event.

These pictures were taken before the event began and below is one of the early birds, Ralph Velez.

post-420-1243902396_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902549_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902497_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902472_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902441_thumb.jpg

post-420-1243902424_thumb.jpg

I was there but did not buy a palm.

I bought a Wollemi Pine of all things !

:lol:

i wasn't able to attend this year....other than the obvious Dan and company, can anyone name all the vendors that had plants for sale this year?

edit: btw....nice looking material there Dan!

Edited by tropicalb

i wasn't able to attend this year....other than the obvious Dan and company, can anyone name all the vendors that had plants for sale this year?

edit: btw....nice looking material there Dan!

I saw JDA's

Jungle Music

David Minks - Indian Rocks?

The Ironmongers

EllandDell growers

and then some new Bamboo vendors...

I mostly came for the company and the presentation....a first for not spending money in many years...

Edit: Apologies if I stupidly missed someone..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Oh yes, Not many pix here either.

First, a spot I saw and panicked in the Cycad area. A "fresh" hole complete with dropped soil on the closest Cycad leaves... :rage:

We discussed what to do, so I went to the man giving the tour and pulled him aside to show and tell.

We were QUITE releived when he said they had pulled a Brachytiton out just a couple days prior! :D

post-27-1243906267_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Then I spotted this unusal plant in the gardens for sale area..??

Thats it for my pix.

Pohon says he has blackmail pix of me...Hardly, just another day in the life of BS Man. :rolleyes:

post-27-1243906394_thumb.jpg

post-27-1243906439_thumb.jpg

I took a few pics, just plants.

First, I was so excited when I noticed this was a palm I had never seen a mature form of... now I can't remember what it is! Hyphane? Help.

post-662-1243910024_thumb.jpg

Edited by osideterry

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

As I approached I thought "Sabal maritima" but nooooooooooh, it's a Sabal bermudana.

post-662-1243910095_thumb.jpg

This flowering Bromeliad was drawing a big crowd. Unreal (as in almost fake) looking color.

post-662-1243910244_thumb.jpg

post-662-1243910268_thumb.jpg

So I bought a couple of palms. First this Euterpe edulis I found at the JD Andersen booth. I'm planting this bad boy with the double-trunk Euterpe I planted last year. Shown next to greenhouse for scale.

post-662-1243910450_thumb.jpg

... and this 2 gallon Dypsis saintlucei from Phil at Jungle Music's booth. This goes in the big Dypsis raised bed I'm planting this Summer.

post-662-1243910899_thumb.jpg

Bill: You forgot Colina Chamal Nursery from Fallbrook. That covers all the palm and cycad sellers.

Alan Brickey

This flowering Bromeliad was drawing a big crowd. Unreal (as in almost fake) looking color.

That flower is out of this world. Do you know what species it was?

How much was it selling for?

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

The Bromeliad was in the garden, in the ground. I didn't get it's name, but each flower is around 3" across.

I just remembered... the tall fan palm was a Brahea brandegeei.

Edited by osideterry

I beleive it is a Puya alpestris (Sapphire Tower).

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I was just curious on how the sale is run. Do the vendors collect the money and pay up front for a booth space? Or, do you give back a percentage of your sales?

If you can sell any type of plants, how come there are not more vendors selling bromeliads, fruit trees, etc?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was just curious on how the sale is run. Do the vendors collect the money and pay up front for a booth space? Or, do you give back a percentage of your sales?

If you can sell any type of plants, how come there are not more vendors selling bromeliads, fruit trees, etc?

Jeff

Jeff,

We pay $100.00 each to the Palm Society and Quail Gardens to participate, we collect our own $$. It is advertised as a Palm and Cycad sale but we generally bring a few extra plants, Phil had some Brom's and crotons, Irv had some really nice varigated clivia's he had imported from Asia and we had some of our Wollemi Pines.

This year the Bamboo Society had their sale set up separately and they collected $$ at a central point. It didn't seem to get too confusing.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

That flower is out of this world. Do you know what species it was?

How much was it selling for?

As Len said, Puya alpestris. Although there were numerous large, mounding plants, no pups were on sale in the Quail shop. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a waiting list for them...

Although I brought my camera, I never took it out of the case, maybe it was the weather...

I picked up a sweet 1-gal. Licuala ramsayi from Jerry Anderson, irresistible after reading the recent PSSC journal. I was thinking, oh, this will stay small in the shade. Then Phil said he's seen them overhead when they get a little sun along the coast. And then I saw a photo on the Floribunda website that knocked my socks off and sent me screaming down the street (ok, I borrowed that from Dave):

post-216-1243955282_thumb.jpg

Suchin Marcus with Licuala ramsayi on the Big Island

Source: Floribunda Palms

Well, Point Loma is definitely not Hawaii, so I probably don't need to worry about it getting so large! :lol:

I really enjoyed Mark Riedler's slideshow of his trip to Madagascar. He had three whole weeks there, and covered a lot of ground. Jeff Brusseau's Belize photos were excellent as well. Still want to hear what the palm was that "stumped the experts".

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It was a great event !

I got to see a lot of people that I have not seen in a while.

Talk about all kind of plants and have a "great time".

It is really a great way to officially start summer (although it could have been January)

Just like Kim, I for whatever reason never took out my camera so I have no photos.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Looks like it was a great event.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

i have pix but have been running behind getting em on photobucket.

should only be another 3-4 wks.

& yes,they feature BS man,who was in rare form.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Jeff

Jeff,

We pay $100.00 each to the Palm Society and Quail Gardens to participate, we collect our own $$. It is advertised as a Palm and Cycad sale but we generally bring a few extra plants, Phil had some Brom's and crotons, Irv had some really nice varigated clivia's he had imported from Asia and we had some of our Wollemi Pines.

This year the Bamboo Society had their sale set up separately and they collected $$ at a central point. It didn't seem to get too confusing.

Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks so much. I hope the turnout was good and many plants were sold.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

i kept expecting to see ya there,jeff!

still "warning-free."

I didn't engage in my usual shutter mania . . . . .

I expected everyone else to do that!

The weather stunk . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And then I saw a photo on the Floribunda website that knocked my socks off and sent me screaming down the street . . . :

I'd pay a substantial amount to see that! :lol:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Len and Kim are right on, the Bromeliad is Puya alpestris (and not Puya berteroana which is so often confused in horticulture with P. alpestris).

I sowed a crop of Puya alpestris in early 2007. I had great success with them from seed.

Here's a link to my photos of the process : http://www.flickr.com/photos/morabeza79/se...57607074569326/ .

None of my plant buddies thought they would grow well here on O'ahu but they have instead grown twice as fast here as seedlings of the same age in California.

Thanks for the info link. I just bought some Puya seeds as a result of this thread.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

We've been doing the Quail Sale for about 10 years. It's never been a hugely successful event compared to South Florida standards. Our goal was to try to recreate something like the amazing sale at Fairchild. That sale has a real following and people look forward to it every year. But, we've never come close to those results. We advertised this year through the PSSC journal, Quail publications, a bit on the Internet, and had a radio/TV plug as well. We usually get people who belong to the PSSC and a handful of others. But, we just haven't connected to the general public. Once years ago we tried placing a $500 add (paid for by the vendors) in the North County Times and saw no results from this. This year was a bit better becaue it coincided with the PSSC meeting. But, during those three "off years" between such meetings, times can be a bit lean. I think the general concensus is that most of us will continue doing it although no one is overwhelmed with the sale results. The cost to vendors to participate is acceptable to all, but there's a tremendous time and energy committment to participate. We've lost a few vendors from previous years who said they'd do better by just staying home and having their nursery open and avoid the work of participating. That was disappointing. We all really appreciate the support from those of this group and IPS members who visited this year's sale. We only wish we could get more attendees from the general public to visit the sale.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

We've been doing the Quail Sale for about 10 years. It's never been a hugely successful event compared to South Florida standards. Our goal was to try to recreate something like the amazing sale at Fairchild. That sale has a real following and people look forward to it every year. But, we've never come close to those results. We advertised this year through the PSSC journal, Quail publications, a bit on the Internet, and had a radio/TV plug as well. We usually get people who belong to the PSSC and a handful of others. But, we just haven't connected to the general public. Once years ago we tried placing a $500 add (paid for by the vendors) in the North County Times and saw no results from this. This year was a bit better becaue it coincided with the PSSC meeting. But, during those three "off years" between such meetings, times can be a bit lean. I think the general concensus is that most of us will continue doing it although no one is overwhelmed with the sale results. The cost to vendors to participate is acceptable to all, but there's a tremendous time and energy committment to participate. We've lost a few vendors from previous years who said they'd do better by just staying home and having their nursery open and avoid the work of participating. That was disappointing. We all really appreciate the support from those of this group and IPS members who visited this year's sale. We only wish we could get more attendees from the general public to visit the sale.

Phil

I think one thing that may help Phil is for all of you vendors to break out some of the more exotic and rare species and offer them at better prices. Since mostly you have Palm Society members that have shopped at your nurseries for years, they need to be enticed with products not typical of what is usually sold. The vendors should create an atmosphere that on one day each year you must arrive early to snatch up the special items. You may put aside a handful of these products and not offer them for sale during the year to create the interest and impending feeding frenzy. So my opinion is that if you vendors got together and created a game plan to change the impression of the sale in terms of your products, you can create an event on par with Fairchild. I was fortunate to go to the Fairchild sale and it is the products they have for sale which has alot to do with the interest generated.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Gary- Since this was the first meeting/sale you've been to in a long time, I have to say that it kinda happens that way. Every year when I roll up, I hear about the "finds" that happened first thing that morning, usually minutes after the opening. I'm trying to cut back or I might have been there earlier....

PS- show up to more meetings, its nice to have you there.

If you are trying to connect to the broad public, more will be needed beyond rare palms and cycads. Think about it: the broad public is unaware of rare palms and cycads. They are used to being hit between the eyes with colorful flowers when they shop for plants. They need some education. If the Quail sale had more of a general tropical offering -- bringing in vendors of orchids, bromeliads, ti, unusual crotons, other interesting flowering plants that are not your average big box items -- perhaps more interest coud be generated. I know this part would be a lot of work, but... set up a small, temporary display garden using the palms and accent plants, even a small water feature, and people would be blown away. The display would emphasize how the palms and cycads are used for the structure of a garden. It would take a year or two for word of mouth to build, but the expanded focus might bring in more people. Just a thought.

If a display garden were designed with simple portable components that could be re-used every year, simply varying some of the plants year to year, it might be worthwhile. And you could set it up at your nursery between events. Garden designers do this kind of thing all the time for garden shows and the fair, check it out.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Gary- Since this was the first meeting/sale you've been to in a long time, I have to say that it kinda happens that way. Every year when I roll up, I hear about the "finds" that happened first thing that morning, usually minutes after the opening. I'm trying to cut back or I might have been there earlier....

PS- show up to more meetings, its nice to have you there.

Your wrong Bill, I may not show up for the meetings, but I have showed up for every quail sale and those "finds", are very limited. I still stand by my opinion.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Sweet!

That Puya is pretty cold hardy. I've got it growing up here in zone 9. No problems yet..... Just no flowers :huh:

Still needs to grow some.

That event looks like it had a pretty nice turnout of palms AND palm lovers. I wish I could have made it out there, but I'm a few weeks out from heading down there yet.

Nice event. Thanks for sharing.

PAt

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Then I spotted this unusal plant in the gardens for sale area..??

Bill, that's an Agave bracteosa that's already spiked and setting seed. I think that one is one of the few agaves that don't die after spiking. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair to sell a dying agave would it?

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The hard thing to do is arm chair suggestions to vendors like Phil, Jerry, Bruce, etc that have been doing this for so long. Over the years they have tried most everything. So I make my suggestions with reservation:

1) I think Quail is not the best place to do it. Why can't this be done with other societies (orchid, etc) to make one big sale at Balboa, the Zoo or somewhere more spread out and where there is already heavy weekend foot traffic?

2) I agree with price comment. Palm and cycad collectors know going in what things cost. General public does not. I did not see any "sales" there. And offering something at "20% off" from something you just raised the price 30% the day before, is not a sale. Not saying this happened, but I have seen this done.

I heard a few times from people looking that the prices were high - again, most just never knew what rare plants cost. Not sure how many times I heard a vender give a price and have the person asking say "How much?" I just felt like venders should treat this as more of a volume type pricing gig

3) I agree with Gary. There needs to be an incentive to buy. I saw none there. I did not see anything new or anything priced to buy. I could just wait and get it later at the nursery direct. I can tell you I was not alone. This was a common theme in discussion with some of the people I was there with.

Phil mentioned the FL sales and buzz they create. When I read the threads on them that Ryan puts up, I am amazed and what people bring and what they were selling for. Tons of super rare stuff from personal stashes but priced great.

4) Has anyone from here ever asked the guys in FL why theirs work so well? Seems there is a buzz in the air with the various sales in FL. Why is that?

Anyway, I hope this does not offend anyone.

---

Also, I can't believe Quail charged venders. It should have been free. How many people showed up there and paid entry fees that never would have went had the sale not been there? How many people did they market too to become a Quail member when paying the entry fee? I understand Quail is 'non-profit', but it seems the venders made that place MUCH more busy then I have seen it on weekends. I see a mutual beneficial relationship here. Sure it was only $100, but....

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Len, as far as prices go, you know you can't compare Florida to CA. I guess you're speaking relatively though. Still just wanted to bring up that point.

Gary, as far as 'finds', what's a find? Especially to collectors. The more plants you have the less finds you're gonna find. Someone with less of an extensive collection might see the plant material as all finds. Seems like sort of an opinion thing to me. What's a find for one might be common for others. For those of us who frequent nurseries and always have our antanae up for new and exciting stuff, it's pretty hard to impress us even with rare plants. Sorta of a form of desensitization I think.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

If you want to see a hugely successful plant sale, go to the Cactus & Succulent Society sale this Saturday. They have one in January and one in June and both are hugely successful. Sometimes they are inside and sometimes they are outside in that patio area. It's a good venue...plenty of FREE parking, plenty of space for the plants...a lot of variety and lots of vendors. Sometimes they even have a smattering of palms and cycads. I got two really nice 2-inch caudexed cycads at one of the sales a few years back for 22.50 each. I know one was 'Piet Retief' or something like that and the other was hildebrandtii I think. Anyway, I think part of it is more than just getting the word out. I like Quail but I think somewhere in Balboa Park would be better. I think if it was held in Balboa Park last Saturday, sales and attendance would have been ten times better. I just decided not to go to Quail last weekend because of the driving distance, the half-price fee, and looking for a parking spot...in short, I was lazy.

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

where exactly is the sale ron?

still "warning-free."

Len, as far as prices go, you know you can't compare Florida to CA. I guess you're speaking relatively though. Still just wanted to bring up that point.

Gary, as far as 'finds', what's a find? Especially to collectors. The more plants you have the less finds you're gonna find. Someone with less of an extensive collection might see the plant material as all finds. Seems like sort of an opinion thing to me. What's a find for one might be common for others. For those of us who frequent nurseries and always have our antanae up for new and exciting stuff, it's pretty hard to impress us even with rare plants. Sorta of a form of desensitization I think.

you have no idea what you are talking about,matt,do you?

still "warning-free."