IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad cones and flushes

Urban Rainforest

george those are some nice plants, how long did it take for your woodii offset to root out and makes its first flush?

Edited by Palmfreek

Here's my E. post-998-12808460428172_thumb.jpgmunchii and it's first attempt at procreation. 5 cones.

MM

It's intresting that the 2 cones on the left spiral left. The 2 cones on the right spiral right. Lets see if you get a 6th cone. What is the diameter of the caudex? Mine is 17".

Your plant looks great!drool.gif

Randy

test

Randy, you've got me beat by about half an inch. :huh: I'll post more later

MM

Some Cycas megacarpa in habitat at Mt Morgan west of Rockhampton Qld

11-2009OZtrip567.jpg

11-2009OZtrip572.jpg

11-2009OZtrip569.jpg

11-2009OZtrip566.jpg

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice use of beer Randy. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Luis ,

How long have you been growing the plant?

That is a fantastic plant! I had a surprise the other day a Macrozamia I thought I had lost is fluusing again.

post-562-034565100 1284157694_thumb.jpg

Luis,

Good to hear from you! and much obliged for the response.

I have a few in pots in North Florida USA --- I may grow one in Green House if I get it built tall enough.

Best regards

Ed Brown

Haven't put out any flush pics in a while, heres a couple fattys going off.

E. transvenosus

008-1.jpg

C. taitungensis

006-5.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

well it has been awhile since anyone has posted in this topic to keep it going. i have a few late flushes on some plants so i figure i will share them. take a looksy...

First up we have a blue arenarius which i have been waiting all summer to do something and it finally treated me with this..

2.jpg

15.jpg

1.jpg

here is a Blue munchii i purchased last year from someone who was interested and did not end up wanting it...im glad it went in my garden!!

14.jpg

4.jpg

Encephalartos Whitelockii coneing and flushing at the same time again. post-351-004361100 1289106421_thumb.jpgpost-351-068987200 1289106467_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

11-11 was my birthday so I decided to pay Randy Decker a visit in the early morn. I ended up buying a massive E. Kisambo off him! It's at least 15'' in size. I promised him a pic when it was planted, so here it is! Thanks again Randy for the green monster!

post-811-086855500 1289578587_thumb.jpg

Braden de Jong