IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought!

Palm Guy

Yeah the DROUGHT is pretty much over! :winkie:

Not as BAD as FAY yet, but could end up close?

Mind you I am not complaining...

let it rain....let it rain....

Does remind one of the old adage...when it rains it POURS!!!! :lol:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

May 18th......drought :rage: May19th.....drought over :D Gotta go let some water outa the pool!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Another 2" of rain for yesterday/night. So that's 3.8 for the past 2 days. Only a 60% chance for rain today. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

still pouring here. A week and a half ago I was depressed from lack of rain. Now it's just the opposite :lol: I imagine I'll have a ton of weeding to do this weekend. EVERYTHING has woken up in the garden. I finally pulled in some of my potted palms from the elements for fear they'd rot from all this rain. We do need it though. Who knows, we could go back to dry dry dry in a week.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Was able to mow and clean up the yard today. Then, a 5:30 downpour. The palms seem to be responding already. They seem to tell rain from irrigation water.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Another .5" yesterday. The tally is now above 8" for the last 10 days.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Now above 10". Summer hasn't yet begun but this will likely be the rainiest month of the season.

It really poured here this afternoon my pool is over flowing the palms are really starting to grow and open new

fronds I think this is the wettest May I can recall. which is great i welcome the raines but not too much a nice soaken

looks like we entered our wet season early this year in enjoy the free water. :mrlooney:

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Glad the Florida drought has come to a drenching halt! Now the wet season takes over for quite a few months. Just the opposite on the other coast as we will likely not experience anymore rainfall until the end of October [except a remote & mostly dry thunderstorm once or twice :unsure:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I'm still sad over here...No appreciable rain yet this month. We've only accumilated .35 inches for May and only a drizzle of that Florida storm!! Good thing temperatures are still in the upper 70's though but the sun is beating down pretty hard.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

• 2 weeks later...

The dryness has made a return. Hopefully this will be a brief respite from the coming monsoons.

• 2 weeks later...
The dryness has made a return. Hopefully this will be a brief respite from the coming monsoons.

Still dry here, and things are getting a little wilty except for the arid-lovers - bougies, plumbago, tecoma are having a field day. Crotons, not so much - I'm putting more of them in the ground as the containers are drying out so quick.

Hey Ray - I think I snagged a couple of Fishbones. Dolins has some nice ones.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

We must be on different schedules. We just had about 3 " fall in the last week. More to come this week until the next front passes through.

Hopefully, St. Pete will get a bit!

Michael Ferreira

June has been torrid! DRY DRY total of 1/2" rain which fell on the 4th. Each day is almost cloudless, not even hearing thunder but inland Central Florida gets hit! THIS IS SO NOT FAIR!~ I just water everyday...after that great rain in mid or late May, this has been a bummer. Heat Index is easily well over 100F. A rare, sunny June. Sen d us some rain - or I'll even take some cloud cover............lol Greg in Broiling New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Rain gods blessed us with 2.74" here in NE St. Pete yesterday. Unfortunately, it was like a monsoon and most of it was run off. It all transpired within an hour and a half.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

No measurable rain at my place in the last 10 days.

The skies openned up on us yesterday with a nice even 2" of rain right after work, 5:00pm. It came down hard, good winds and lasted 45 minutes. Alot of rain so far for May and June. No complaints here.......

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another 1" fell last night! Its been a great June so far with 4.22" falling. Only had to water once!

Michael Ferreira

Got some drops last night. Hopefully we're getting back to what brought 12 inches of rain in May.

Got some drops last night. Hopefully we're getting back to what brought 12 inches of rain in May and early June.

Nada for almost 2 weeks. Thank God for recycled water irrigation.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

It's 3:30 in the afternoon here at the nursery and it's been raining for 1 hour now. I just went out to check the guage, one inch so far and still coming down. Were having one of the loudest thunder and lightning storms I can remember in a long time. This will go down as one of the wettest spring's on record for my area. Even though it's June 18th and the temp's. are at 90 degrees everyday, it's hard to believe that were still a few days away from the official start of summer.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Greg in Broiling New Port Richey

And St. Pete's frying - lordy this is a scorcher. Someone said yesterday that we matched our record heat (1998).

We even have to water the plants in the ground every day - argh.

Bren said:

Rain gods blessed us with 2.74" here in NE St. Pete yesterday
That much?! Rain gods are fickle! We got some boomers and threatening clouds - and nothing else. But over in Riverview, they had a gullywasher, with some strong wind as well.

But let's hope it doesn't rain in S. FL this Saturday :winkie:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

It rained last night - 1/2" - despite BIG boomers we missed the heart of the rain, as always. But I am thankful. Today it threatened, dark, nada. The clouds rolled in around 3pm and cooled us off, so that is a plus and this June, almost as good as rain. Driest June in my memory. Greg

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

It's official, we're in for another drought, the pacific waters have warmed up above average and that spells trouble for eastern Australia in the form of dry dry dry excatly when we want it wet wet wet.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

17 days without measurable rainfall. This is getting old. The airport tally for June so far is just under one inch. The normal for the month is over 6 inches.

17 days without measurable rainfall. This is getting old. The airport tally for June so far is just under one inch. The normal for the month is over 6 inches.

Ray I thought Florida was getting hit by this same front? We've had rain almost every day in June (20 rain days so far). 10.81 inches up until 12 am this morning. About an 1" + fell today as well so I'm getting our tally is nearly 12 " for June!

I find that incredibly unlucky. Somewhere in South Florida was getting alot of rain also!

Michael Ferreira

How's that rain guage workin' for ya Jeff?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

For us, at least, this is a drought. We are down 11" from average for the year, and breaking heat records. I think this was the third day in a row to break our all time highs for this date.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Well, the drought of June and heat wave are over! It rained last night some, then this morning we had a gullywasher of over 2" in about an hour with some light rain off and on, and more threatening out in the Gulf! But, the heat damage is evident in the yard everywhere. A week straight of sunny skies, near 100F temps and heat indexes over 100F did its toll. I hope the yard can recover - but of course, the weeds went nuts! Don't they always....lol Greg :lol: :lol:

Micheal, got 2 inches of rainfall today but drought has become the yearly norm in my area. Local government is considering converting the water that gets flushed down the toilet into potable drinking water. It sounds disgusting but Orange Co., California and a few other places in the states already do this. Hopefully, this legislation passes so irrigation can make up for mother nature's almost predictable yearly shortfalls.

Micheal, got 2 inches of rainfall today but drought has become the yearly norm in my area. Local government is considering converting the water that gets flushed down the toilet into potable drinking water. It sounds disgusting but Orange Co., California and a few other places in the states already do this. Hopefully, this legislation passes so irrigation can make up for mother nature's almost predictable yearly shortfalls.

Ray that's good news! Glad to hear the rains are a comin.

The potty water idea sounds gross... I know alot of houses in Florida are "Bermuda Style" but do any have water catchments on the rooves with underground tanks? Alot of houses here also have a supplemental water well which gives quite brackish water but many people use it for the bathroom or to wash. I dont have a well but the underground tank is quite large so we rarely run out of water (earlier this year I had to buy 4 truck loads of water due to the drought). I'd imagine that should work. Nothing better than recycled rainwater.

Looks like we are going to test our record for rain in June of 14.18". As of last night we had 12.20 " in June but today we had a good downpour which was probably about 1" of rain and the rains should continue all the way into Monday morning.

Michael Ferreira

It has now rained and rained. My 5" rain gauge has been emptied twice in a week - do the math! 7"+ just since Sunday evening. But, I knew it - nothing all June with horrid heat, and everything in a few days! All of Tampa Bay has been getting drenched, thunder nonstop. It been raining, no pouring since the middle of the night and thunder is always in the air. They are evacuating houses north of me in Port Richey due to floods. And, what it is doing now, THUNDERING! Whatever happened to our "normal" summer rains? LOL Greg :o

Matty,

Not sure when it started, but it's reading over 24" now.

June has to be near a record or maybe a record for my area. I think we had only 3 or 4 days for the whole month that it didn't rain something. It rained yesterday for July 1st, and quite a bit tonight. It's just pouring as I type!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Matty,

Not sure when it started, but it's reading over 24" now.

June has to be near a record or maybe a record for my area. I think we had only 3 or 4 days for the whole month that it didn't rain something. It rained yesterday for July 1st, and quite a bit tonight. It's just pouring as I type!

Jeff

How I wish for the sound of rain on my roof. What a sound that is. I remember those summer rains and thunderstorms from my days in NY. Now, I wake up to the sounds of the irrigation going off at 6AM wondering if the house is flooding. 9" a year of rain is just not normal imo.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

6 inches of rain here since Wednesday morning. Feast or famine is the law.

The South East Coast has been getting steady pounding since the break from Dry Season around May 15,2009. We had approximately 4 inches from Jan.1 to May 15. We are now at 28.81 inches(about 2 inches above normal). Most of the rain is predictable afternoon thunderstorms(Boom,Boom) but we have had night rain almost everynight around beddy-bye. Certainly hard to call it Drought.

What you look for is what is looking

Believe it or not but we do also have drought over here. Almost every month this year the rainfall was below average. The last really rainfall 12 mm was on 14th of June and since that time we had warm temperatures 25-30C. It's cooler now and the forecast are some heavy thunderstorms over the country the coming days, so locally can have some big rainfall.

Yesterday the big stuff missed me and get only couple mm to make the ground a wet color but not really usefull so far. Grass is getting yellow and also some trees the leafes are falling and are yellow. This week is time for some rain, because it's looking like after this week temperatures are going to rise again and more drought.

Robbin

Southwest