IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Drought!

Palm Guy

Hi all,

Anyone else experiencing drought out there? We're about 5 inches behind on the year and it hasnt rained any decent amount in weeks.

Mike

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

It hasn't rained here in east central Florida for 4 weeks now! :angry:

The St. Johns river is drying up! :blink:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

You mean a REAL drought, or just you guys that normally get a lot of rain but are behind? :D Or us out here that get 9" total in a GOOD year, with none between May and October.....

Oh yeah, we're behind a lot, supposed to start water rationing this summer. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Officially Perth has had 5mm of rain since the beginning of January. We could be in drought now.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

You mean a REAL drought, or just you guys that normally get a lot of rain but are behind? :D Or us out here that get 9" total in a GOOD year, with none between May and October.....

I didn't know that deserts had DROUGHTS! :winkie::D

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

It feels like a desert tonight w/ wind gusting over 20MPH & 8PM temp still 85F. I was watching the TV coverage of the fire above Santa Barbara [all those houses & beautiful palm trees going up in smoke :( It was 100F there today.

Water restrictions are going to be hard on palm growers this summer.

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Amazing subsidence eh Happ?

Maybe summer will go above average in rainfall to the area! hehe.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

I heard we've had less than 2" of rain since Jan. 1. Actually, I can't remember the last time Ft. Myers area had measurable rain. Weeks and weeks. With temps now 90+F and cloudless sky, I have to hand water the palms every other day to supplement irrigation.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I heard we've had less than 2" of rain since Jan. 1. Actually, I can't remember the last time Ft. Myers area had measurable rain. Weeks and weeks. With temps now 90+F and cloudless sky, I have to hand water the palms every other day to supplement irrigation.

Same here on the east side of the state. I can't remember the last time it rained! :angry: And none in sight!

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Swiftmud's been calling this a three-year drought, but the scary thing was in yesterday's paper, where there's speculation that it will become a 4-year drought. After that.............??

My zoysia's cooked, crotons that survived the unusually cool winter are succumbing to the drought. My most special container plants are okay - not great - due to handwatering, but as far as the stuff in the ground, it's parched. I lost track of which restrictions we're under (Phase 3? 4?) and what day we're allowed to water, but it's something like one day a week, from midnight to 4AM, at least that's what the radio said. But don't be using sprinklers outside your designated time, b/c they're not just doing warnings.

We do water the palms in the ground, but it's not the same as rain!!! :rage: One of the two trunks of my beloved A. myolensis fried........

......it came through the winter unscathed, only to be withered in this @#$%#$ drought :rage::rage::rage:

And then ya see the pictures of the horrible wildfires in California, and that puts it all in perspective. Good luck to everyone near the awful situation going on out there - my heart goes out to those affected by the fires.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I didn't know that deserts had DROUGHTS! :winkie::D

Yea Bill, did you forget where you guys live??? 9" of rain....that's on a good, wet, "where's my umbrella" year. Usually it's mild, somewhat cold most of the year, and no rain to speak of. Similar conditions to your basic dessert. :)

Jeff

Oh.....are you guys out of the 60-70's yet??????????????????? :)

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Oh yes, on the coast, I've moved to the 70's and 80's. Add 10 more degrees inland.

And "cold" is a matter of "perspective". :P Compared to Colorado or Texas, we don't get cold at all.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Mother's Day Forcast.......

Today a high of 90 or 91 degrees. Very hot! And no forcast of rain......... :rage:

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

105 yesterday for Phoenix AZ;low 100's for the next week;not a drop of rain until mid July. At least it's a dry heat! :mrlooney:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Seems like its a pretty widespread drought. Supposedly rain and thunder is in the works for Tuesday and Wednesday!

Michael Ferreira

There is certainly no drought down this direction. Our monthly averages have been at least 25 percent above normal. Interestingly the far southern state of Rio Grande do Sul has been experiencing drought conditions even though most of Brazil has had above average percipitation. We have been impacted by La Niña from what I understand. The result of this is a year of record high water levels througout the Amazon Basin and a lot of cities are now impacted by areas underwater. I expect that parts of downtown Manaus will be flooded by the time the Negro River peaks around the end of June.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Here in New Port Richey, the same drought. No rain since April 14th. We did get 1.1" that day, but that was the only rain measured in April. May is rainless, cloudless, hot! I water with the hose constantly and it gets tiring. Sunscreen has been a best friend, but I've lived here 21 years, and I never remember anything of merit for rainfall during May. Just hot and sunny with an afternoon seabreeze. I believe the latest rainfall for my area from Weather Underground is 8.2" for the year, average is double that. Rainy season get here!!!!!!!!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I'm getting depressed watching everything fry. Today the closest weather station is currently reading 94. Legally I am not supposed to water until Tues & I have virtually no canopy to protect anything :crying:

I think I will shed a few tears (ok, lots) of joy when the skies open up

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

I'm getting depressed watching everything fry. Today the closest weather station is currently reading 94. Legally I am not supposed to water until Tues & I have virtually no canopy to protect anything :crying:

I think I will shed a few tears (ok, lots) of joy when the skies open up

Can you sneak at night & water in the dark? I ask because water restrictions are set to start on June 1st here & I am worried how to keep the palms healthy.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

I suppose I could but I am trying to abide. Hard now with this blaring heat.

Part of me says screw it though. St. Pete keeps allowing developers to come in and build condos. They are breaking ground on a development 2 miles south in downtown that is supposed to house 600 people. Our roads are already congested enough.

Sometimes I think that until the golf courses dry up, pepsi, coke etc stop getting unlimited supply to our springs (for a $100 permit) and permits to developers stop being issued, then this supposed lack of water is just a farce for revenue (fines & more so to preserve resources for higher tax payers)

Oh who am I kidding, I'm watering tonight & will continue to do so until the rains start. If I lose my collection, I can't afford to replace it. I'm officially taking my chances with the water police. **flips big bird** I'll get serious when they do. :rage: :rage:

Agreed, jungle...I believe in obeying the laws but I will not let my collection of palms and many other plants die. I recall May being similar last year with no rain and highs soaring into the 90s.

-Michael

Judging by my weather station you guys in Florida should be having some water by now. We had a few trickles but hopefully more is on the way... only .20 inches so far for May. 14.23 inches for the year when it should be 19.61 inches.

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/HURRLOOPS/huwvloop.html

Michael Ferreira

You are right Michael, we had some good rains in parts of Florida the last two days, particularly yesterday. Most of it was inland but some coastal regions did get rain too. Rain chances look pretty good for the next week or so. It would be great if we had an early start to our rainy season this year.

david

The last three days have brought central Fl some much needed rain. Somehow we haven't gotten a single good rain out of it at my house, .1" yesterday and that's it. With such good coverage I just don't see how...I'm done venting now:) I think the rainy season might be off to a slightly early start.

-Michael

So far only sprinkles here but lots of clouds. Please, more rain.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Wow...we are getting pummeled here in St. Pete. First measurable rain in a LONG time and it's coming down in buckets. Looking at radar it's like all the storms on the west coast are converging here. THANK YOU Ma Nature!

Wow...we are getting pummeled here in St. Pete. First measurable rain in a LONG time and it's coming down in buckets. Looking at radar it's like all the storms on the west coast are converging here. THANK YOU Ma Nature!

Definitely Bren!! Finally a good rain (1.28" in my rain guage). That is the heaviest one day total at my house since July 11th of last year. The rain also woke up the tree frogs and they woke me up in the middle of the night with all the croaking! It was wondeful to hear the rain and later the croaking of the frogs around the Koi pond. I was out in the yard at 4:30am with a flash light checking everything out before heading in to work and all the palms and plants really perked up with one rain storm! Any palm that was getting ready to drop an old leaf will definitely drop them today! I'm really hoping we're having an early start to the rainy season this year...we need it very badly!

Here's the most recent drought outlook that shows improving conditions in Florida & Texas but not California.

season_drought.gif

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It was very stormy in central Florida again yesterday. There was 4" at my place (nearly 6" total for the last 3 days). Some areas of Polk county (east of Tampa) got nearly 8" yesterday. This week's storms have spawned a few tornadoes in the area and there was (as usual) street flooding in many areas of Tampa. Perhaps the beginning of a good rainy season for FL this year.

david

I'm glad someone in Florida is getting rain.... DRY as a BONE here the last to days on the east coast! It has started west of I-95 and and continued west both days?

Been almost 2 months since it has rained here in Titusville! :angry:

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Scott, it only rained like for that about 10 minutes... I am still eager to see some real rainfall. Right around noon too, weird... Not the typical 5 o' clock showers. Rainy season is right aroundthe corner! B)

You'll get more pummeled, a tropical system will develop right over you by Monday in Florida, a LARGE, wide system. Rain, rain, and more rain.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

3.7" since Wednesday! No end in sight. This is great :D I can assure you I will have TONS of weeding next weekend but I welcome them! I think I can roll up the hoses for awhile.

Still not a drop over here on the coast in east central Florida! :angry:

Maybe today? Radar looks like it is FINALLY going to hit us! But it has missed us completely the last 5 days ,so who knows?

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Surely you got some rain today Scott?!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

YIPPEEE, as Bill would say!!!

Finally after 2 months of complete DRY, we got 1.2 inches of RAIN this afternoon! Looks like maybe today won't be the last of it, looking good for the rest of the week hopefully!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Ray,

YIPPEEE, as Bill would say!!!

Finally after 2 months of complete DRY, we got 1.2 inches of RAIN this afternoon! Looks like maybe today won't be the last of it, looking good for the rest of the week hopefully!

Scott,

Glad to hear you finally got some rain. Large sections of the state are now getting some, and hopefully the lake will too. We got 1.8 inches yesterday/night and as of now ( 8:30pm) were at exactly 1.8 inches again, but threating to pour more through the night. It's amazing how green everything is looking so fast after the rains.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Glad to see you guys getting some rain! Now send some over this way. We haven't gotten pummelled at all!

If this Bermuda High eases up just a touch we should be in business to get the same system S Florida is getting.

Michael Ferreira

I can't remember ever getting this much rain in May. The airport has over 6 inches in the bucket and the next two days are forecasted to be the same.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B