IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this possible ?

Walter John

Hi there Dean and fellow palm site gurus. Is it possible to have a little pop up window appear when folk log on to the site. Each individual could manage his/her own settings for that to occur. It would nice to know, Oh look, Frank has just signed in, I think I'll send him that pm now etc.

Just a thought.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi there Dean and fellow palm site gurus. Is it possible to have a little pop up window appear when folk log on to the site. Each individual could manage his/her own settings for that to occur. It would nice to know, Oh look, Frank has just signed in, I think I'll send him that pm now etc.

Just a thought.

Wal,

That type of thing would be in the "guts" of the code for the software. Something only the designers of the software could build into the package, and probably require several thousand lines of complex code.

Are you aware of the "who's on line" feature, or the little icon next to the name that 'lights up' when that person is on line? Or the feature to allow a pop up box when someone PMs you? If you add them to your friends list in your "My Controls," you can easily see who of your friends are on line or not. Not what you want, but could almost accomplish the same thing. But be aware, there are those who hide the fact they are on line, or don't sign in at all if they only intend to read.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

But be aware, there are those who hide the fact they are on line, or don't sign in at all if they only intend to read.

Well Said Sir :)

There were times when i ask a question to a perticular member in my post and i do not see the person in a list of online user list.but suddenly in less than a minute my question in the post is answered and once again i do not see that person anywhere in the forum ! The sudden arrival & vanishing is like watching a horror movie,'nightmare in elam street'.And iam not joking here.

I request to the comitte that this stealth feature is disabled.that is those logged in should be visible to all the members here.

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

But be aware, there are those who hide the fact they are on line, or don't sign in at all if they only intend to read.

Well Said Sir :)

There were times when i ask a question to a perticular member in my post and i do not see the person in a list of online user list.but suddenly in less than a minute my question in the post is answered and once again i do not see that person anywhere in the forum ! The sudden arrival & vanishing is like watching a horror movie,'nightmare in elam street'.And iam not joking here.

I request to the comitte that this stealth feature is disabled.that is those logged in should be visible to all the members here.

Thanks & Love,

Kris,

To do so would also mean that we would need to make it impossible for guests to read the forum. Remember, you do not need to be a member, or log in, to read the forum. No forums restrict guests or visitors from reading. If we didn't allow guests to read, how would they ever know if they wanted to register and join the fun? If someone wants to read as a guest, and jump on to respond, then log back off, there is not much that we can do about it.

Dear Sir :)

I understand what you are saying..but your server can lock every registered member of this forum.And highlight that member is online to all of us here in the main viewing page.Once a registered member here,an indugual looses his or her stealth feature status within this site !

So by doing this spammers or those who are not seriously intreasted in palms will not join this forum,or just join to create newsense..

And iam not advocating compulsory membership to view our threads.but just want the stealth feature removed permenently.Since i know many members are moving around like ghost,And seriously i do not know why they do this ?

Since you are more experienced than i,and you all are running this site so well,i just wanted to express my views on this matter.

All the best,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

I understand what you are saying..but your server can lock every registered member of this forum.And highlight that member is online to all of us here in the main viewing page.Once a registered member here,an indugual looses his or her stealth feature status within this site !

So by doing this spammers or those who are not seriously intreasted in palms will not join this forum,or just join to create newsense..

And iam not advocating compulsory membership to view our threads.but just want the stealth feature removed permenently.Since i know many members are moving around like ghost,And seriously i do not know why they do this ?

Since you are more experienced than i,and you all are running this site so well,i just wanted to express my views on this matter.

All the best,

Kris,

We always appreciate any feedback and suggestions. But a server can not "lock every registered member." Any registered member can simply log out and clear cookies, then log back in as a guest. So if they want to view in a "stealth" mode, they can simply do it that way.

And besides, if someone wants to view PalmTalk from their work desk and not be visible to his boss or others, then who are we to not let him do so. :)

Thanks for the information,And once i was in a eurpoean forum site about plants,i actually happen to visit this link as i was searching for some plants in google site.And once i entered that site as a guest,it began to highlight from where iam,state,country & the I.P name.i was bit surprised and their in main page below i found a caption in mild red stating that your I.P & I.D are locked in this site.

And to my surprise lots of our european members are also members in that site.And they have the same I.D name.But the language was spanish.So it was of not much used to me. :blink:

I will keep you updated on what latest features are incorporated in other sites..But i tend to forget one thing often that our site is free for all global palm enthuiest.So it might be a costly affair to do all this software tweaks on the server front.And what i have said before in the previous post is possible,if a member uses the same computer regularly from the same location using the same I.P address.

And iam reminded of Nepolean Bonaparte once said "Nothing is impossible". :)

Lots of love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif