IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Livistona decora

MattyB

My Livistona decora had some frost damage this past winter but once the weather warmed up, it's now pushing out new growth with a vengeance! I love this palm --  both for its fast growth and beautiful look. I don't know why they're so uncommon in public spaces here in NorCal. In the interior here it seems to be either CIDP or Washies (or both)!  BTW, that's a Cassia leptophylla on the right in the background; it has no problems with the weather here year-round. Whether it'll ever bloom for me is another matter!

Livistona_decora.jpg

Edited by Hillizard
  • Upvote 4

Decoras are more cold tender than CIDP or washies.  I have two with 10'+ trunk, fast growers for sure.  they put out 15+ leaves a year.  they are a 9a palm, a few degrees less cold hardy than a fillibusta.  When cold drops into the teens for very long they are likely dead.  

• Upvote 1

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 2 months later...

I know of maybe only 2 specimens of Livistona decora I've seen in the entire Ft. Walton Beach/Niceville/Destin area where I live. So beautiful, and an easy grower from what I can see. I'm surprised no one uses them more around here. The second tree I first noticed this past winter. I am astonished at the growth rate. First picture taken this past January, second taken today (October 13, 2017).

IMG_9277.thumb.JPG.74f12a98428e7562f3f12

IMG_0569.thumb.JPG.30d5ef41e29477e4e7ce1

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...
On 5/9/2009 at 8:42 AM, Kathryn said:

Here are three of mine. Can you find them in the first picture? I planted them in the fall of 2004 and the picture was taken in June 2005. The second picture was taken a few minutes ago.

post-158-1241876108_thumb.jpg post-158-1241876470_thumb.jpg

Hey Kathryn. I was wondering if your palms are still doing well. Im over here in lake charles and about to plant some. Thanks!