IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Important announcement

bgl

Yes folks, we have a new moderator! Dean Ouer, a.k.a. 'dypsisdean' has graciously agreed to take on this job. Mike in Houston is taking care of the technical details right now.

On behalf of the Executive Board of the IPS I would like to extend a warm welcome to Dean.

Things have been pretty smooth the last few months, and let's keep it that way. In other words, please refrain from offensive statements and anything that may be inappropriate for the Forum. If anyone strays, our new moderator will take swift action! :)

Thank you all! And Dean, welcome to your new job!

Bo-Göran Lundkvist

Vice President, IPS

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Way to go, Double-D!

SGD . . ..

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dean!!!  Awesome!  I know you'll be perfect for this job.  Computers and Palms, it's so you.  I thought you were retiring?  Anyway, since we're family, technically that makes me assistant-vice-co-moderator-jr, so seriously if anyone starts acting up, "yer outta here bucco!"  Whew, I feel the power rush and I like it!  Ok, all jokes aside, welcome and we're very lucky to have you as our new moderator.  Good luck! :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

MattyB,

I believe Dean mentioned that he has a note on his desk to pay particular attention to your posts! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I am pleased and excited to be the new moderator of PalmTalk. I will not attempt or pretend to fill the enormous shoes Bob Riffle has left behind. I will however, share his goal, and continue his desire to keep this forum the best place to share our knowledge and love of palms, while having fun doing it.

We should all feel fortunate to have this forum, and some thanks are in order. We all owe Mike Burnett a great deal of appreciation for keeping this show running the past several months. The reason things have continued to run so smoothly is because of Mike's behind the scene efforts. We also need to realize there would be no forum without the financial support of the IPS. So support them when you can. And thanks to all of you. You are the forum. So continue to contribute and tell others.

I will be posting, as before, using my screen name of Dypsisdean. For issues or problems pertaining to the forum itself, please address those to me as "IPSPTModerator" or as a general question under "Administration."

Please bear with me as I "learn the ropes." Now, go post something.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

What are we calling offensive these days, Is freedom of speech out the door. Is ones opinion to be kept to himself, or can it be voiced. I think we are all adults here and in the past some opinions where met with a ban. I think the new man in charge needs to make a announcement on what is acceptable under the new regime. I like a good debate, Even if it gets heated. No offence to Dean but a poll would of been great for those you where looking for such a job.

This is just my silly opinion :)

Dave,

Since I used the word 'offensive' in my announcement above, I'll address this issue (and our Moderator is welcome to add his views!):

Nobody is talking about taking away 'freedom of speech'. You are welcome to voice opinions and ideas, in the Palapa, or whever they might be appropriate. But there's no need to be offensive towards anyone. I believe we should be able to discuss any issue without using offensive language.

And yes, we are all adults, which is exactly why I believe we should know the difference!

Bo-Göran

(Dave Butler @ Nov. 02 2006,23:10)

I think the new man in charge needs to make a announcement on what is acceptable under the new regime.

Dave,

I don't want anyone to think this is, as you stated, a "new regime." I will be elated if things continue exactly as they have. No changes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Opinions and heated debates, as they have been carried out in the past, are fine. Personal attacks are not.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Good luck with the rope learning and your ongoing efforts Dean.  Hopefully the effort required will be minimal.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

a special thanks to mike,who did a great job!

good luck dean!can't think of a better person for the job!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Mike,

Better late than never... In my enthusiasm last night to introduce Dean, I forgot the obvious: to thank you for everything you've done to keep the Forum going, during the crash in June, and certainly since we lost RLR in August. I don't know everything you had to do to keep things rolling, but I know it's been time consuming and your efforts have certainly been appreciated!

Thank you!

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

To Mike Burnett -- I know exactly how much time you put in helping Bob salvage messages and learn the software ropes after the forum crashed; and I know about the hundreds of hours of your own time you contributed toward keeping the forum running smoothly during the transition and after August 11.  Thank you for doing that; RLR was deeply appreciative of your efforts and would be proud of your generosity.  Thank you so much for all you did on his behalf and in the spirit of his memory.

Dean, welcome.  I'm so glad to see a friendly face fill this role.  Best wishes for your success.

To everyone else -- Nothing would have made Bob happier than to see how the forum members conducted themselves after he was gone.  For the few who are "stumped" as to what is an appropriate message, look to the tone of the messages by the frequent posters and you'll find your answer.  

Best to all.

D.

Diane

East of Seattle & Lake Washington

in Kirkland

Zone 8

Diane,

Please don't be a stranger. Help keep Bob's spirit alive.

I haven't forgotten. You did mention you had another funny Riffle story to share with us.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Dean- Awesome.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yeah- those of you know me know I couldn't stop with that short of a reply!

OK- Since I have spoken with  Dean a fair amount (probably on the phone or in person more than I have to anyone else on this forum)  I can't think of a better person suited to the job. Again, AWESOME!

And a big shout out to the "silent partner"  THANKS MIKE!

As for Daves question, if you happened to see the latter posts by the members who became "stumpheads", that should tell you what is acceptable.

I would bet a short method to measure would be that if you  have differing viewpoints than someone else, you should first "support" your statements, then "agree to disagree", not exclaim that "so-and-so is a moron", etc. as your final parting shots....

Administrate on, Dean!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thank you everyone for the kind words and for keeping the PalmTalk Forum active, informative and fun. And Congratulations Dean! This transition has not been an easy one and I can not imagine a better outcome for the IPS and the PalmTalk community.

Thanks Mike and Dean.

If I can be of assistance I'll gladly help out, just PM me.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Congrats Dean!!! They have chosen "The Best!!!"

Steven V. Elder Jr.

San Jose, CA - Zone: 9a/9b

Latitude: 37.30 N - Longitude: 121.87 W

• 1 month later...

welcome to our new modulator.

Congratulations Mr.Dean

And sorry for putting my views so late.

this section or page was not highlighted in

my netscape borowser.

and as for the job mr.dean & mr.bo are doing

is simply fabulous.and wish that in my retirement

iam too,tempted to take up your role in this forum.

Iam preety shure that this forum is left in safe hands,

where experience do matter a lot.

Love you guys  :)

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif