IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

It is freezing in Florida

bubba

With no intention of hurting any persons feelings,perhaps we could observe some comparisons. San Diego has perhaps the most beneficient climate in the world.Please find the 4/6-4/11 temperature predictions per Weather Underground:

4/6-79/55F.

4/7-67/58F.

4/8-61/56F.

4/9-63/54F

4/10-61/54F.

4/11-61/54F.

Quid pro quo re: West Palm Beach:

4/6-93/72F

4/7-74/50F

4/8-73/55F.

4/9-78/65F.

4/10-83/68F.

4/11-85/69F.

Is the baby being thrown out with said bathwater? Perchance? Slow newsday?

What you look for is what is looking

Well, it's not freezing here, but it's pretty darn cold for April. We've had a string of really warm winters here in central Florida, this winter brought us back to reality, the fact that it does get cold here from time to time... even if it's not for long! It's 62* here at 4 pm and our high today was 63* with 40+ mph wind gusts. I can tell that it's going to be pretty cold tonight... nothing to cause any damage, but really cold compared to the 92* we saw here last week! Our low this winter was 24* with a combined 6 other days in the 20's. Last year we had 1 day that hit 29* and before that... I don't think we had been in the 20's since 1989 that I can remember. We had several years that we never even had any frost!

Zone 9 Central Florida

Arghhh, Bubba! We cannot say that this April hasn't displayed a modicum of (over-rated) weather variety for Florida!! So many transplanted northerners complain that the weather is always the same here; well, folks! This is for you!! "VA-RI-E-TEE," indeed!

A chilled Pablo

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Wow Bubba, Weather Underground missed that 45F you have forecasted tonight. I would agree about San Diego.

WEST PALM BEACH

SUNNY SUNNY PTCLDY PTCLDY PTCLDY PTCLDY PTCLDY

45/73 52/76 66/82 70/84 69/84 71/85 71/85

TAMPA

SUNNY SUNNY PTCLDY PTCLDY PTCLDY PTCLDY PTCLDY

46/69 55/78 64/83 70/83 70/84 70/84 71/84

SAN DIEGO

SHWRS PTCLDY SHWRS PTCLDY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY

56/65 53/64 54/62 53/63 54/66 54/66 54/65

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray, I just heard they expect the Intracoastal to be frozen over here. I still do not understand why coconuts don't line Bayshore based upon Tampa v.WPB(cold hole)temperature reports.

We hit 37* this morning... reading for the Tampa area I'm seeing are high 40's to around 50 and Brandon had a 39* according to Fox 13.

Zone 9 Central Florida

A mere 51F here this morning. I knew 40's were a stretch for April.

Bubba, there was a time Coconuts were everywhere near Bayshore and then the 1980's came around. I know it's an anomaly but still does unfortunately happen every 80-100 years.

A mere 51F here this morning with light snow showers. I knew 40's were a stretch for April.

And yet Brandon had 39* and we had 37*. Funny thing is, I can be in Tampa in less than 40 minutes from here (depending on traffic)... shows how diverse the temps can be!

Zone 9 Central Florida

That's the heat island for you Jay. The contrast was much less in years past.

Ray, WPB AP reported 46F which was the same low reported by Orlando.Stuart,40 miles to our North, reported 50F,Lake Worth 52F,Ft. Myers 53,St Pete 55.I note Tampa V reported 39.(Do you have the same problem?)All I can say is WPB AP should be investigated.I guess we are left to enjoy our last cool breeze of the season and devine our temperatures from vegetation.

I have a number of good friends in Tampa,most living in the Bayshore area not far from Palma Ceia.I have walked Bayshore a number of times throwing beads dressed as a pirate at your Gasparilla parade(and the Boat). I remember numerous mature Royals along Bayshore but I am not certain they still remain.The vegetation around Tampa is a unique blend between those beautiful Live Oaks and many Tropical specimens.(as you cultivate) I would maintain,however,that it's level of Tropicality is perhaps a notch less than Palm Beach, notwithstanding your substantially warmer temperatures compared to WPB/AP.

Well, as usual the cold hole airport hit 31 this morning which was forecasted at 30 or 32 depending on the source.

My meter bottomed out at 36.9

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

WPB AP reported 46F

WPB AP should be investigated.

Do you think I95 has something to do with that? Cold air blowing down from the north could travel right down the highway and get dumped at the airport? (for those who aren't familiar; the airport is right next to the largest N-S highway on this side of the country) Or maybe it has something to do with less houses along Belvedere? Less heat storage from less concrete? If you think about it, Belvedere west of the airport doesn't have a ton of buildings compared to other main East-Wests...

Ok, that's enough outta me, I'm going back to work. :rolleyes:

I hit somewhere between 55-57 as the low this morning there was some clouds last night which helped went outside it didn't feel too bad outside

now we are going up hill on the temps this winter was just a pain in the butt hopfully we won't see this again for awhile after all mother nature is

always the boss.

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Well it's not funny for you guys I think, but it's funny or strange to see that I have the same night temperatures as some people here that live in Florida. :S

Robbin

Southwest

Bubba, most of the Bayshore Royals are gone but there are still several decent sized Banyans tucked away in the larger lots. There are also some large African Oil Palms that have lived up to their "indestructible" status after countless defoliations. Next time you plan a trip to the Palma Ceia area, please let me know.

Vandenburg is in the heart of the arctic tundra and freezes annually.

Some selected minimum temperatures in Florida on Wednesday April 8, 2009. All data was mined from

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/raw...mp;rawsflag=290 and http://kamala.cod.edu/fl .

North-

Crawfordville- 28

Middleburg- 28

Crestview- 30

Jacksonville- 30

Lake City- 30

Quincy- 30

Tallahassee- 30

Trenton- 30

Tallahassee- 31

Cross City- 31

Perry- 31

Sandborn- 31

Bell- 32

Bloxham- 32

DOF Port 1- 32

High Springs- 32

Marianna- 32

Mayo- 32

Niceville- 32

Central-

Nobleton East- 29 coldest for date and month, also the latest sub 32 deg. reading recorded in 48 years of records.

Holder- 30

Lake George- 30

Scottsmoor- 30

Archbold- 31

Mount Plymouth- 31

Citrus Springs- 32

Central- 32

Kenansville- 32

Okahumpka- 32

Daytona Beach- 39

Orlando- 39

Tampa- 39

South-

S56DWX- 32

ACRAWX- 36

Palmdale- 37

BCSI- 38

Miles City- 38

Brighton- 41

Raccoon Point- 41

Immokalee- 42

S140W- 42

Devils Garden- 43

Ft. Lauderdale- 52

Miami- 54

Mad about palms

Lastnight I cruised over the southern states of the US on Google Earth with the weather feature turned on. While Florida had single digit Celcius readings some down to 4C, California had 16C. So California is the place to be then. :winkie:

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Some selected minimum temperatures in Florida on Wednesday April 8, 2009. All data was mined from

http://www.met.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/raw...mp;rawsflag=290 and http://kamala.cod.edu/fl .

North-

Crawfordville- 28

Middleburg- 28

Crestview- 30

Jacksonville- 30

Lake City- 30

Quincy- 30

Tallahassee- 30

Trenton- 30

Tallahassee- 31

Cross City- 31

Perry- 31

Sandborn- 31

Bell- 32

Bloxham- 32

DOF Port 1- 32

High Springs- 32

Marianna- 32

Mayo- 32

Niceville- 32

Central-

Nobleton East- 29 coldest for date and month, also the latest sub 32 deg. reading recorded in 48 years of records.

Holder- 30

Lake George- 30

Scottsmoor- 30

Archbold- 31

Mount Plymouth- 31

Citrus Springs- 32

Central- 32

Kenansville- 32

Okahumpka- 32

Daytona Beach- 39

Orlando- 39

Tampa- 39

South-

S56DWX- 32

ACRAWX- 36

Palmdale- 37

BCSI- 38

Miles City- 38

Brighton- 41

Raccoon Point- 41

Immokalee- 42

S140W- 42

Devils Garden- 43

Ft. Lauderdale- 52

Miami- 54

Pretty exhaustive data, Walt! Thanks for presenting it! All the lowest regional readings appear to be rural "hamlets." The major urban "heat islands" were predictably less cold (but still low for the date!)

Yesterday it felt like hell here; that NW wind was gusty and pretty miserable.

Today, without the gales, it was absolutely gorgeous; while the temperatures were still about 10 degrees F., from the state's seasonal normals, it was so pretty out there. I'd take another 15 + of these days, before the blast furnace Sun starts to broil all Floridians!

I would give today an 11 on a scale of 1 to 10. That MUST be beautiful...and it was!!

Late. :winkie:

Paul

Today was a little warmer, but we still bottomed out at 45* here in Polk County, Florida. I do know this, I can travel just a few miles up the road, towards the city and it will be much warmer! I live out in the country and with acreage, the homes are few and very far apart. For example, my stag horns got fried when we hit 24* this winter, I was not expecting this as the weather people are usually way off for their lows. The other day, I was just a few mile up the road from here and was talking to a lady who had a beautiful stag horn. She said that it was unprotected and that they only hit 33* for a low. This place was only about 6 miles (give or take) from where I live but in the city and close to a fairly busy road, almost 10* warmer and just minutes away... strange indeed.

Zone 9 Central Florida

Here in Northeast Atlanta, my thermometer got down to 32.5F yesterday morning. So we avoided a freeze, and there was no frost. Those who planted their vegetable gardens early should hopefully be safe. The weather this morning was in the mid 40's, and we are supposed to get up to the mid 70's this afternoon.

I'm having some sod laid in my yard today, so it should be a nice evening to go outside and enjoy the yard!

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Good news, guys!

This cold snap caught me very much "off guard" but from now on in, let's set our sights on Summer '09!

No real cold damage here but a lot of leaf shredding (my Bismarckia has all windward fronds snapped at the portion of the frond right below the frond!)

Peaceful, tranquil weather from now on in!

Paul

From what I've been reading, Luke, it looks like just about everyone feels like you & I, so I say...

BRING ON THE SUN, AND LET THE PLANTING BEGIN!! :greenthumb:

From what I've been reading, Luke, it looks like just about everyone feels like you & I, so I say...

BRING ON THE SUN, AND LET THE PLANTING BEGIN!! :greenthumb:

Low to mid 50's this morning and mid upper 80's this afternoon! Now we need some rain. :unsure:

Zone 9 Central Florida

I think that WE ARE back on a normal springlike temperature regimen again!!

Best news we can get, err, maybe it could be better with a few more nice showery days! Very arid here; kinda like Tucson without the Saguaros!

PABLITO

Lastnight I cruised over the southern states of the US on Google Earth with the weather feature turned on. While Florida had single digit Celcius readings some down to 4C, California had 16C. So California is the place to be then. :winkie:

Best regards

Tyrone

How do you find that weather feature on Google Earth? That sounds pretty cool.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Epic, I do not know about Google-Earth but Weather Underground has a great feature called WunderMap that does the samething.Take a look at it!