IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

April 2009 weather

Exotic Life

37C (99F) at my place yesterday with very low dewpoints (around 0C or 32F). I've noticed that weather like this seems to crisp up newly opened leaves. Basically, if a palm is unlucky enough to be opening a new leaf exactly when the weather gets like this then the new leaf gets charred. On the good side, it doesn't seem to have much effect on the older, hardened leaves...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Downtown SD recorded 98F yesterday!!! A record that was broken from 1899!

Matt,

It got pretty hot in 1899, which was before all the talk about Global Warming.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

It looks like the rainy season has finally arrived on the Central Pacific coast. We got about 3" a few nights ago and tonight we had some strong thunderstorms and heavy rain. Bring it!!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

It looks like the rainy season has finally arrived on the Central Pacific coast. We got about 3" a few nights ago and tonight we had some strong thunderstorms and heavy rain. Bring it!!

Jeff,

That sounds nice. I am at the point where I am looking forward to more sunshine and less rain. This year is a record breaking rainy season.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I have a nice contrast in weather going on. I am right now in Great Falls, Montana. The current weather conditions are light snow, 28 F with the prospect of more snow today. It has been six years since I have been back to Montana and I guess Mother Nature wanted to remind me that life does exist outside of the tropics. Fortunately my Dad loaned me a down coat as I do not have much clothes for these temperatures. In fact it is real strange to even use a coat any more.

The view from my parents place yesterday afternoon. As you can see palms are scarce.

GreatFallsWeatherApril28.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Just a follow up. Here is what the weather in Great Falls, Montana looks like right now.

Snow

32°F

Feels Like

22°F

Updated Apr 29 08:25 a.m. MT

UV Index: 0 Low

Wind: From NNW at 14 mph

Humidity: 84%

Pressure: 30.12 in.

Dew Point: 28°F

Visibility: 0.3 miles

IMG_0161.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

That's a beautiful winter scene, a bit late for it though. It's amazing that those areas can get snow storms into late April and even May. The weather here in central Florida is warm, breezy, and really dry. Bring on the rain.

-Michael

Jeff,

That sounds nice. I am at the point where I am looking forward to more sunshine and less rain. This year is a record breaking rainy season.

dk

Don, sunshine is all we have had since January, I'm so ready for the rainy season! It started raining last week but then stopped and it has not rained since. I guess I spoke too soon when I said the rainy season finally arrived. Since December we have only had 16 1/4 inches (412.75mm). I've been told that this is the longest and most prolonged dry season we have had since 1998 when only 6" (152.4mm) fell during the dry season. For comparison, last year we had 37 1/2" (952.5mm) during this same time period and the dry season was barely noticeable. Our wettest month ever was October of 1998 when 60 inches of rain (1,524mm) fell in one month!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

What a wonderful spring here. Especially compared to last year's drought, hurricane torrential rains, drought. We have had great weather, just enough warmth, but still cool enough to thoroughly enjoy being outside for long periods. Rains have been consistent weekly rains, not to heavy to run off, but enough to saturate the ground. I can't remember a better spring for plants or for people. If we can just avoid a serious hurricane, the gardens will make all ground lost last year plus some.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages